Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: How would you prune this pieris?

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 3, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ilovedahlias
Wakefield, MA

July 22, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9215113

My mother-in-law has a pieris in front of her door that is outgrowing its space. It has had an attractive natural shape but now is getting a bit gangly-looking. I think she would prefer for it to keep a natural shape as opposed to shearing it into a ball. Looking at it, the leaves are smaller than some pieris but larger than the dwarf varieties, so I would say it is a semi-dwarf variety. It has not outgrown its space for probably about 20 years. Any ideas for the best way to prune to keep its natural shape? She is open to replanting, but of course pruning would be easier. How would you prune this?

Thumbnail by ilovedahlias
Click the image for an enlarged view.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2012
10:50 PM

Post #9215163

I'd also top-dress with peat mix and some slow-release fertilizer for Rhodos.

Thumbnail by growin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ilovedahlias
Wakefield, MA

July 23, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9215950

Thank-you! I've sent your picture on to my mother-in-law. Thanks so much. Regards.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9216101

Hopefully the red marks make sense. Just follow the golden rules of pruning - no more than 1/3 removed, start with D,D&D (Dead, Diseased & Damaged), 1/8" from the collar or the next stem on 90 degree angles with clean pruners. Hopefully it works. Add an "after" pic when she's done.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America