Photo by Melody

Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the Spring: relocating perennials

Communities > Forums > Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the Spring
bookmark
Forum: Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the SpringReplies: 9, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bobsgirl
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9215424

I have a few perennials that are struggling and just hanging on with the extreme heat this summer. I have decided to move them to a more suitable spot. My question is, would fall be an appropriate time to move them?
I have usually done this type of garden chore in the spring. They are Heucheras, and I know the roots are quite shallow and fragile. thanks for any advice.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9215465

I think if you can keep them alive through the hottest part of the current summer, fall 2012 sounds like your moment. Right now it is over 100 F every day where I live. A bad time for outdoor perennial gardening! But where you live, once daytime temps get pleasant and it is still 8-12 weeks away from hard frost, get out your spade and make your move!

Good luck!
Dot2
Sandstone, MN
(Zone 4b)

July 23, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9215965

Yes, Fall is great for planting perennials. We live in zone 3 and I plant them in the fall all the time. One year I even planted a sum and substance Hosta in frozen ground and it lived! Don't recommend that though, but it was either that or let it die.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9216242

Well, you have such a short spring and summer that you'd better plant some in the fall or you'll never have a chance to plant at all! When I was in z. 6 fall was much better time; it seems like a better plan in z. 8 too. Basically, fall seems like a better time than spring or summer (depending on what your summer is like) for the reasons outlined in the article. Thanks for your comment.
bobsgirl
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9216264

Thank you for the replies. It was 106F today... been hot for the entire month of July... I am spending extra time to baby these Heuchs, and I believe I'll take your cue, and move them when the temps subside.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9216803

Wow! 106 in NE...I thought you never saw those temps. I have to draw a new mental map.
pastapicker
Columbus, OH

July 24, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9216819

You might try riggin up a little shade for them until you can move them. Anything that can let light through but cuts the intensity. I've used old sheets and also heavy netting, held up with those wire plant supports.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9216889

Excellent point! We don't have shade here in TX. (We do, but it's way off in the far corners of the parking lots, and 5 cars are all trying to park under one struggling seedling, very funny.)
bobsgirl
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9217300

I'm in Nebraska. We get lots of hot, cold & storms of all kinds. Maybe you were thinkin I'm in New England? This year has been a scorching hot dry summer.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9217318

No, seriously, I knew you were in Nebraska! I (like an idiot) thought zone 5 was always cooler than zone 6. I guess I'm wrong again. Not at all unusual these days.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the Spring Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fall is for planting, fer sure vossner 7 Sep 8, 2008 4:35 PM
Gladiolus bulbs Gisforgran 8 Sep 10, 2008 6:43 PM
Fall is for planting CHOOD 7 Sep 9, 2008 9:09 AM
Platycodon in Zone 6 Patches001 2 Oct 1, 2009 2:04 PM
thank you Carrie! JacalynFromCanada 1 Sep 9, 2008 9:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America