Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Give Peach a chance?: wonderfu peaches

Communities > Forums > Article: Give Peach a chance?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Give Peach a chance?Replies: 3, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Klug
San Diego, CA

July 23, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9215984

Back in Wisconsin years ago my mother grew one from a pit and boy, did we have peaches...Very tasty. So about 20 years ago, here in San Diego, I grew one from one of the peaches I had bought at the store. About four years later, it had the biggest, most wonderful tasting peaches. The only problem I had was keeping the darned huge green fig beetles from eating them. But about 10 years later, some bermuda grass grew in from my neighbors yard. I couldn't get rid of it, so I very carefully covered the trunk of the tree and hand sprayed the grass only with Roundup. Well, a month later, my peach tree was dead. Evidently the bermuda roots which absorbed the Roundup from the grass leaves, were mixed up with the peach roots or else when the tree was watered, some seeped down into the peach root area and bingo...no more wonderful peaches.
Have never tried another, although I do have two nice lemon trees from seed back up on my hill.
i24him
Radcliff, KY

July 23, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9216449

This tragedy may possibly been a blessing in disguise. The roundup would end up in the peaches making them poison, I do believe. Round up is said to be causing some major health problems. I glanced over an article saying this. So maybe the Lord's blessing your health, and took your tree which absorbed all the poision. The article said round up spreads out into the ground and the area around it,all surrounding roots absorb the poison, and the veggies and fruits roots drink it up . Poisoning them, then we eat it and over time we develop stuff like kidney cancer, etc. ... I don't know how accurate the information is or all the details, as I said I skimmed the article. Enough to frighten me. So just maybe it was a blessing. Still sorry you lost such wonderful tree. Try again. Bless you, ( your future even better peach tree.)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
1:07 AM

Post #9217683

Klug, what a shame to lose that great peach tree.

About the lemons from seed- do they bloom?
petset77
Fort Garland, CO
(Zone 4b)

July 25, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9218527

Klug, why did you defer to the highly toxic roundup??? Bermuda needs sun, and a thick layer of organic mulch (like straw) can take care of that. It will also keep the soil moist enough to pull the occasional stubborn bermuda grass runner that comes up through the shade. Hopefully, people will choose to forego poisons around their personal environments and use reasonable organic alternatives instead.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Give Peach a chance? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Peach pit trees gloria125 10 Aug 16, 2010 6:25 PM
Peach Corps carrielamont 7 Aug 17, 2010 5:56 PM
Give peach a chance baileyweb 1 Aug 16, 2010 7:34 AM
Too much trouble wormfood 1 Aug 16, 2010 6:23 PM
inspiration cfbloom 1 Aug 16, 2010 9:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America