Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Nuts About Pistachios: Will these trees grow/produce in GA?

Communities > Forums > Article: Nuts About Pistachios
bookmark
Forum: Article: Nuts About PistachiosReplies: 1, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gacornhusker
Snellville, GA

July 23, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9216087

Diana,
Great article and thank you. What I really want I really want to know is will they grow and fruit in Georgia or are we too hot? I have what was called a "Chinese Pistacio" that I planted when we moved here years ago because they were all over Sonoma, CA. but I have never seen a blossom cluster on it.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9216289

Hi,

I don't think the Chinese Pistachio, known as Chinese Pistache (Pistacia chinensis), will produce the commercial pistachio nuts that you may be thinking of. Although, the Chinese Pistache can be used as the understock for grafts of commercial Pistacia vera trees. Chinese Pistacia trees are hardy to zones 6b through 9.

Here is a link for more information:
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/database/documents/pdf/tree_fact_sheets/pischia.pdf

Hope this helps

Happy and Healthy Gardening!
Diana

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Nuts About Pistachios Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Excellent article, Diana!! Chantell 2 Jul 20, 2012 8:55 PM
Is it true about the red ones? crownpc 1 Jul 23, 2012 11:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America