Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sewing and Quilting: I want to make scrap quilts-book with ideas?

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 32, Views: 165
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9216100

Hi Everyone,
I'm fairly new to quilting but not to sewing. I paint and sew seasonal crafts for sale at a local shop. I've made just two quilts - one for my granddaughter and one for my grandson. I have collected so many pieces of fabric through the years - almost all of it cotton- and even some from my mother, when she passed away. I really want to use fabric that I have here, and just add some to it if I need to. I love scrap quilts and would like to make some for myself, as well as family members.

Are there any really good scrap quilt pattern books out that I should be looking to purchase that would be of help to me? Thank you for any and all of your suggestions!
Linda

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9216307

If you go to any Joann's or any quilt shop, I'm sure they will have several books to choose from as scrappy quilts are "in" right now. And the patterns are endless. You can also google free scrappy quilt patterns and see what comes up. I get a lot of great designs and patterns that way. And welcome to our fun!!!!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 23, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9216367

Linda, my daughter just had quilt done for her son --- a gal on ETSY. My daughter is in PA but I think this gal was from out west. I will go to facebook and get the site. You can email the gal and maybe she also will have suggestions for you
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 23, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9216383

Well, I found it once but can't now. But, if go to ETSY.COM and search for " memory quilt baby clothes " or similar you can pick your favorites from dozens. Once done, contact each seller via email ---there is a contact area on each page and ask your question.
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9216430

Thank you both for your ideas. I welcome any ideas I can get! I know that scrap quilts are quite popular right now, so that will help me with how I want to approach making quilts. Thanks again,
Linda
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 23, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9216479

You are welcome.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9216492

Igrowinpa, I have a box of quilting magazines some of which has scrappy quilt ideas and patterns. If you are interested, I could mail them to you. I have done this for other as I hate to put them in recycling when someone might get some more enjoyment from them. Let me know.
I will tell you that some might have pages missing but usually not the scrappy patterns. I am bad to tear out the ones I want to do. LOL
Marion
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9217064

Marion, I just sent you a D-mail about the magazines.

Linda
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9217844

For some block ideas, you can go to quiltmaker.com/addictedtoscraps For some reason, Im ALL about scrap quilts right now. Actually, Ive always liked them but at first you dont have any scraps. Now...im bogged down trying to organize them. What size to cut into to save????? driving me nuts.

Good luck on your quilts
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9217981

Linda - Beaver Falls... I'm originally from Hopewell!!!! Small world. Still have lots of relatives in the area.

Look for quilt patterns using jelly rolls, nickle, dimes & qtrs, or layer cakes. These are all various sizes of "scraps".

There is even a magazine out now that is all about scrap quilts.

I have a couple good books but they are out int hr studio. I'll get the names when I'm out there later.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9218194

Try your local library. Look in their book catalog for other books that you can borrow from their branches. You can make almost any pattern with scraps by sorting the scraps into color and/or lights and darks piles. The design will still show up and it will be quite "arty".
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9218232

You probably know about it, but dont forget the

quilterscache.com

There is a little white box in the middle of the page, just click on you want to go to the blocks
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9218402

gardenglory-thank you for the websites that you mentioned. I will definitely check them out and enjoy doing so. The sound like exactly what I'm looking for.

Qwilter - It is a small world, isn't it? I actually live in Chippewa Twp and we have a Beaver Falls mailing address. Do you ever get up this way?
Do you have the name of the magazine that is devoted to scrap quilts? Thanks for checking on book titles for me. Quilts patterns using the different pre-cut pieces would also work for what I'm looking to do. Great idea!

AYankeeCat - the library is a great idea too. Thanks!

Linda
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9218425

When I was a teenager I had a good friend in Chippewa. We were in Girl Scouts together. Last time I was back home was last Fall, when I was still living in MD. I was hoping to get back up this Fall, but retirement is taking up way too much of my free time!!!!!

Is there still a fabric shop by Brady's Bend? I was in there a few years ago and she had nice fabrics.

Magazine is "Scrap Quilts" by Fons & Porter. Not sure how often they publish one.

Kim Brackett has a bunch of books out. I have "Scrap-Basket Sensations" for using 2 1/2" strips.
"Quilts from the Heart" by Karin Renaud
"Loose Change" by Claudia Plett & LeAnn Weaver. All published by That Patchwork Place.

Any "simple" pattern usually looks good done scrappy. Just make sure you have a good variety of lt, med, & dark fabrics.

Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9218553

Qwilter, My DH was able to take early retirement over 10 years ago, at age 50, and we never run out of things to do. I think we are busier now than when we were younger! Amy Bachmann was the quilt/sewing machine shop on route 51 near Brady's Run Park that you are probably thinking of. She has moved to Cranberry Twp in Butler County. That's a busy area with loads of shopping businesses and loads of traffic to go with it! I've not been to her new shop, but a good friend of mine takes her machines to Amy's husband for cleaning, oiling, etc. and she said Amy's new shop is nice. Unfortunately, there are no quilt shops that I know of in Beaver County anymore. I have to go to Boardman, Ohio, Calcutta, Ohio, or Pittsburgh to find a quilt shop (besides Amy's in Cranberry). Makes it hard to find good fabric close to home. They even took the fabric dept. out of our Chippewa Walmart a few years ago and it never came back when they started putting fabric depts back in some of their stores.

I was not aware that Fons & Porter had a magazine called Scrap Quilts. I'll be on the lookout for it now. I have the book by Karin Renaud on my Wish List but the two other ones are ones I had not seen.

Thank you so much for your suggestions.
Linda
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9218590

Linda - you need to take a road trip out to Lancaster area - Bird-in-Hand, Intercourse, Denver. Great quilt shops & even better prices. Sauder's & Zook's are 2 of my favorite shops.

Let us know how the quilting is progressing.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9218611

Isn't it great to "find" a neighbor here on DG????? Our own Cherrific is one of mine!!!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9218728

depending on what size scraps you have, there are tons of free patterns for scrap quilts online. Amazon lists lots of quilting books, just do a search on 'scrap quilt', 'jelly roll', and the other suggestions from the ladies above. I've been collecting used books, and have been very satisfied with the used ones. Most of them are listed as 'Used', but are in almost 'New' condition.
Here's a link to some freebies using 2 1/2" strip pieces, like jelly roll size scraps:

http://www.crazycreekquilts.com/free-jelly-roll-patterns.html

for other ideas, Google 'scrap quilts' and choose the image option instead of links, you could be on the Web all nite!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9222353

I ordered a used book from Amazon and LOVE it!!! A treasury of Scrap Quilts by Nacy J. Martin. "That Patchwork Place" is the brand or series?
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9222359

I believe that is the publisher.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9222383

Looking at the magazines yesterday a lot of them are now focusing on "scrappy" quilts.
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9223141

I agree with Qwilter. There are a lot of articles and patterns written for scap quilts right now. I was at the local Walmart today and brought home the fall issue of Easy Quilts- a Fons and Porter publication. It's got many patterns for scrappy quilts. Besides, I couldn't resist the fall color quilt on the front. There's a baby quilt in here made with flannel, which I thought was really interesting, and a cute pattern for an adorable cross body purse.

I'm going to check out the Treasury of Scrap Quilts that Pat mentioned, and I'm spending time going to the website suggestions that many of you have mentioned. I'm having a ball looking at all the scrap quilts! You guys are really great-thanks!

Linda
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9223294

We did all this talking & never mentioned the old stand by - log cabins. Great way to use up scraps. Light on 1 side darks on the other or a different color (dark to light values) on each side. Endless possibilities & then you can use the less than 2 1/2" strips easily.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9223304

Im wondering if scrap quilting coming back into 'fashion', is an outgrowth of the economy. It is fun to be able to use fabric you might have otherwise thrown away. Of course, not all is lost, you still need a new fat quarter here or there to fill in,

Did anyone get the email from joanns about the 60% off fleece blankets. Does anyone know what no-sew means in joann language.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9223313

If they are referring to fleece blankets, it means those made of two layers of fleece with strips cut around the edges which are then knotted to hold the layers together.

Just for the record, I'm totally against these for babies. I had one for my little dachshund as he loves to burrow in a blanket. I didn't notice but those cut strips had stretched out. One night he became so entangled in them, that I had to restrain him while I cut him loose. Fortunately I heard his struggles. If a little 5 lb dog can get entangled, I'm pretty sure a child could too.

While I'm on the subject, someone had made one of my grandsons a blanket using that pre-quilted fabric, He was only a couple of months old at the time. I heard him crying after a nap and went to get him. Some of those nylon threads had come loose and were so tightly wound around his little fingers, that they had turned purple. This is now something else that I warn against...also those store bought quilts...same kind of quilting. I've noticed that those nylon threads tend to become undone quite easily. We always wash everything before using so this had only been washed once or at most twice.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2012 7:21 AM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9223322

And they are NOT flame retardant. In fact they will flame & melt in seconds.
But they do feel so good!!!!!

You can always cut the cut strips off the edges if you don't want them.

I think scrap quilts are so popular because 1 - we all have so many of them; 2 - fabrics now come in these "families" and you have so many coordinating ones; and 3- someone realized they can make a fortune selling any size fabric bundle (of pieces of those families).

Folks writing the books are thinking mainly of 2 & 3 above!!!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9223375

One thing is for sure, your right...the families of fabric of what has made it fun for me. The lady that had the old quilt shop used to get so mad at me for trying to match stuff that is suppose to be scrap or random fabrics.

Been doing wash since 6:30 to take to the laundry mat to dry, as dryer is broken and repair guy has dipped with my fix-it deposit. Well, as of 5 minutes ago, the washer is broken. I loath buying appliances. A washer is a washer in my book, at least the ones I can afford. O well, off to google some deals on them. Just makes sewing all the more fun when you can get back to it...thats what Im telling myself.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9223410

Pam, have you tried the quilt shop in Alachua? I do believe it is still there.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9223436

Until my washer broke this morning, I actually had a lunch date with Tracy to go to conastogas and see about the quilt shop. I havent been up there since I couldnt drive last year, Im really hoping she is still there. I am going to check on a class...any class. Something to get me focused and feeling confident again. Its farther than the old quilt shop, but a much easier drive. Heck, now that I think about it, conastogas could be gone. OK, Ive bored every silly...worry

have a great day everyone..off to sears before lunch. ummmmmm buying a new washer might put a damper on the quilt shop. On the other hand, the quilt shop might be just what ill need.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9223509

Quiltmaker magazine has four "100 Blocks" special additions which would be great for scrap quilting ideas. Bonni Hunter does a lot with scraps and publishes monthly in this magazine.

Sew much out there, not enough time.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9224148

Ya, I could spend a fortune I do not have all on books and fabric... and plants... and landscaping... oh so many things! LOL
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9224279

Ditto for this household Pat.
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9224922

I think this is one of the reasons I want to do some "scrap" quilts, using things that I already have. I have WAY too many hobbies and I don't want to spend a lot more right now. I paint to sell at a small craft shop-I've been doing decorative painting since the mid 80's, teaching it also - and I have to spend to sell. There are always new books coming out with new ideas. Also, downloading painting patterns is now all the rage. It's less expensive for the designer and more expensive for the painter. Books used to have lots of pages with tons of ideas for $7.99. Now, you buy one pattern for $5 or $6, you have to download it, and print it out to paint it! And the new painting books, with less pages and less ideas cost up to $14.99. Oh for the good old days!!!!!

I won't even get started on my plants, and books - novels. Like I said, way too many hobbies, not enough time or money.

Linda

PS gardenglory - hope you got your new washing machine.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America