Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Starting climatis from seeds

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 2, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pselders
Laguna Beach, FL

July 23, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9216199

Hi, I was wanting to start some climatis plants from seeds, does anyone have any experiance,input on this? I live in the Florida Panhandle and have a large deck/lattice area and thought these would look great. I have looked online for climatis plants but it seems it would be very expensive for how many plants I would need. I am a newby with a new small greenhouse and I'm busting at the seams trying to revamp my yard for next year. I know it is way to hot to use now but I also have a grow station set up in my diningroom.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9219714

Hi pselders. here is some info for you. Hope these help.

http://www.clematisinternational.com/seeds.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_7627003_start-clematis-seed.html

http://www.ehow.com/video_5361805_grow-clematis-seed.html
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 26, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9219736

I have never started Clematis from seeds before but have produced many plants from cuttings which are easy, you get the exact same plant as the parent you took the cuttings from and within 2 years they are ready to flower.

The full proof way for these cuttings is to take a long stem, unwind it from the frame or whatever it's attaches to and drop it down to the soil, scrape away some of the soil, place the stem into the dent in the soil leaving about 6-8 inches of stem above the soil, add a small garden cane to tie the short stem too and prevent it getting eaten or trod on while it roots, replace the soil you scarped away and make a wire bent pin (like a ladies hair slide) you need to place this over the stem, this will hold the stem in place or you could use a stone placed on top of the soil, all your doing is making sure nothing can disturb the stem at the soil level, water well and next spring, scrape some soil away (very carefuly) you dont want to disturb the roots if any are formed, if no roots are there, leave and check several months later, if rooted, cut the stem away from parent plant (make sure you cut the stem closet to the LONG part and not the short stem as many folks do by mistake (yeh LIKE MEEEEEE) or you need to restart the whole prosses.

The other way to take cuttings is the same as for any plant except for Clematis you cut the stem between the leaf axel so when you place the cutting into the potting compost you have a bout 3-4 inch of stem and place theis deep enough so that the leaf axel is sitting JUST onto the soil, for both these methods you make sure to keep the soil watered but NOT water logged,
With the second methos you can place a couple of sticks into the pot and place a clear polly bag over the pot to preserve some moisture and the polly bag dont sit wet on the foliage to cause rot.
Hope this helps you decide a bit as to method of getting more plants of the clematis family. good luck, WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America