-
AuthorContent
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

July 23, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9216370

No matter what kind of wildlife you are seeing, they are all welcome here. So please join us.

You can check out the wonderful pictures others have contributed, on the previous thread at this link. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1224954/

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007
Click an image for an enlarged view.

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9216444

Thanks for the new thread, burn. Wonderful set of pics to start things off!
TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9216898

Thanks for taking the time to start the new thread, burn. NIce pics,too What kind of bird is that?

I've been seeing dragonflies in the evening around my house - so, I took a few pics.

#1 is a Brown Spotted Yellow Winged Skimmer

#2 is a Widow Skimmer

#3 is a Slaty Skimmer

Taken with a Canon 40D and 70-300 non-L lens.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9217164

Ooh...nice, Hack, I'm jealous!
Most of the Dragonflies I see rarely land and when they do, it's only for an instant. I saw a beautiful one this afternoon just as I was stepping out my patio door, but before I realized it was there, I scared it off. I know absolutely nothing about Dragonflies but it was huge and the whole length of the body (or the top of the body) looked white with possibly black wings. I need to check out Bug Files.
TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9217213

nutsaboutnature, I have a trick that often works for me with dragonflies. Ever go fishing with a cane pole and have dragonflies land on the tip, as if they are drawn to it.

Well, I'm often outside enjoying my birds and will see dragonflies flying to and fro. I have a 3-foot 1/4 inch dowel with a slender twig taped to the tip. I go and stick it in the ground, and before long a dragonfly will land on the tip. The first of my three d-flies has landed on top of a white-painted wire coat hanger (I cut a 9-10 inch piece out of it and bent the tip over a tad) that I had taped to the end of the dowel rod. After a while d-flies would land, but take off before I got set up - I think the wire got too hot - it was in full sunlight.

So, I replaced the wire coat hanger with a slender leafless tea olive twig (though I think any plant would do) and the d-flies landed and stayed. On the widow skimmer, I even had time to go to the house, get the camera and come back, it was still there.

But, still, don't move too rapidly, else they'll take off. I'm in a wheelchair and I don't think they know I'm a human. The birds let me get pretty close sometimes, but then again, by now, they probably know I'm harmless - and also, I have the food, lol.

Hack

This message was edited Jul 24, 2012 5:33 PM
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9217268

Wow...fascinating stuff. Love the idea of your "Dragonfly Rod". I'll have to experiment a little. Since I don't go fishing I've never seen them land on thin poles.
TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9217294

"Dragonfly Rod", good description - that is just what it is.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

July 24, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9217451

Those are lovely shots of the dragonflies, Hack!
The bird in the pic above is a juvenile Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. I have 2 juveniles and one adult male, that really loves the pond. It's the first Summer, that I get them everyday, in the yard. The other years, I'd see them mostly in the Spring as a couple.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9218023

Burn and Hackster, beautiful shots. And thanks for the tips on how to capture a dragonfly Hack. Any tips on a hummingbird? I have so many but can never catch them still enough for a great photo.

I did get this dragonfly, only because he landed right in front of me and I happened to have my camera on. Also a baby wren in a nest...not the best shot, but ma-ma was really scolding me in the background. There is actually three in there but you could only see one. They are all now happily living in my garden hopping around.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9218040

Cool pics, sunkissed! Nice to hear the baby wrens have made it out of the nest.

These little guys are so hard catch a decent pic of. They're so friendly, but they rarely sit still. Anyway, not the greatest shots, but I thought they were still kind of cute.

Edited to say, "Oops, I posted these pics in the wrong thread!" Headed over to the Bird Piccies to post again.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2012 11:14 AM

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9218211

These little guys love my Gaillardia.

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9218471

Nope, sunkissed, no hummer tips, except, that I have my feeder on the porch and I back up into the laundry room with the door to the outside opened. With the laundry room light off, that kinda' puts me in the shadow inside the room. The I just have to wait and be ready. The hummer takes many sips for me. I also were a dark colored shirt, not a white t-shirt.

nuts... that's a sweet capture of the chickadee. Oh, I love the color of those flowers. Nice shots of the honey bee, too

Hack.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9218703

Thank you Bernadette for the new thread, love the opening of the thread photos. Whoa! I saw several adult yellow-bellied sapsuckers in early spring, but haven't seen any more, either adult or juvie. Glad you've shared the pics. Nutsaboutnature, love the bee on your beautiful flower pics. Nice catch! Aww, the "dees" are one of my fav. birds in the garden. Sherri, glad the wren juvie did ok, I like dragon fly but rarely catch them standing still for pics. Gotta try Hack's Dragonfly- rod some time. Thanks Hack for sharing idea. It's nice having joining us here.

1 & 2; Robber fly. 3. Longtailed skipper. 4. Carolina Praying Mantis nymph.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9218895

Hey Lily, nice pic of the Robber Fly, especially #1.

The Dragonfly rod works fairly well for me. Just got to be patient, the d-flies will fly all around it and you can almost tell when one spots it.

Hack
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9219240

Nice pics, Lily! Boy, I could swear I just read something recently about "Longtailed Skippers" being kind of rare...but I could be wrong since my butterfly knowledge could fit on the end of a pin head!
TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9221223

Got a couple more dragonflies

#1 a pretty green Eastern Pondhawk. Blends in nicely with the grass, don't you think?

#2 is another Slaty Skimmer. If you look at the insert you can see the "boot" in the lower wing the helps ID it.

#3 is the Saty without the insert.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9221225

#3, forgot to click on it.

It is sitting on the tip of my car's antenna, that's how I got under it.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2012 8:39 AM

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Click the image for an enlarged view.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9221497

Wow. I have looked back at the last few "issues" of the Wildlife threads and have seen some stunning images. I think it is so cool to have deer come up in your yard. There are none in my suburban neighborhood. I took up photography as a hobby a few years ago and have enjoyed nature/outdoor photography the most, so these wildlife images are so wonderful to see.

Also enjoyed the tips like Hack's bamboo perch for the dragons. That's a great idea. Lots of dragons in my backyard today and I have some bamboo gardening stakes, so I'm set!

Sunkissed, you asked for tips on hummingbirds. I went to a photography workshop in the Texas Hill Country area a while back and the landowners had a lot of hummingbirds at the feeders on their porch. The photography instructor (photo lead) took all but one feeder down and let the birds get used to that idea. They were not too terribly happy, but they got over it.

Then, she put a table under the one feeder and put a potted cactus plant on the table. The plant was about four feet off of the ground and the feeder was about six feet off the ground. Then we got our cameras set up for the composition we wanted and set up some flashes.

1. I took a few photos of her hand until we got the flash power correct for all three flashes. You can do this with just one flash though. Really no need to get this fancy. The important thing is how you get a nice photo without a feeder in the image.

2. Once we got the flashes set, the photo lead started lowering the feeder so that it was getting closer and closer to the cactus flower. The birds didn't care that she was standing right by the feeder. They just kept coming in.

3. Then she got a dropper bottle with some of the same sugar water nectar that was in the feeder and added a few drops to the flower on the left side of the cactus. The birds pretty much ignored it. But, then she took the feeder down - oh, my! - that got their attention and they flew around fussing for a bit. After just a minute or so, the first bird went to check out the flowers.

It didn't take long until they were all hovering near the flowers waiting their turn. They would all hover for a bit at almost the same place. I caught them there several times. Then, they would all feed at the same spot because that was the only spot with nectar. We would add a few more drops from time to time and all four of the students had a chance to sit on the porch (one at a time) and photograph the hummers. Unfortunately, I never did catch a male. But, a couple of the students did.

Of course, it is best to use some type of flower that is sturdy enough to hold some nectar.

I was using a Canon camera with a 400mm lens. I used ISO 320, f/9 and 1/250 sec shutter speed.
But, if your hummers are really hungry and accustomed to people being around, you can do this with a point and shoot, sitting three or four feet from the plant. One of the students used a much shorter lens and sat quite close. She got one of the males with the beautiful ruby colored gorget lit up by the flashes.

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9221637

Magnificent pics Patti. I never that about "seeding" a flower with sweet nectar.

Hack
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

July 28, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9221788

Great tips you have giving us, Hack and Patti!
Kim that Robber fly look tiny, good job!
Aww sweet on the baby Wren!
Great little pollinators, Nuts. They are hard workers. I've set up a mason bee house last year, and I got a few takers. Hoping with every year, there will be an increase of these magnificent pollinators.

Hack, do you know, what bug this is? It jumps when you touch it.

Goldfishes, when the pond was set up in Spring.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9221987

Hack, I'm amazed at all the Dragonflies you get. Great shots! I tried setting up a Dragonfly Rod, but the problem is we don't seem to have many dragonflies. I rarely even see one flying around.

Patti, that's a fascinating story. I'll have to try "flavoring" some flowers with sugar water. Your Hummer pics are just stunning! That last one made me laugh.

Burn, nice that you got a Mason Bee house. It will be interesting to find out if you get more bees next year. Strange little bug you've got there in the first pic. Love your Goldfish photo!
TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9222034

burn, that is a treehopper, there are a gazillion species of them. Just goggle "treehopper images" and you'll see what I mean.

They survive predators by pretending to be a thorn or some kind of plant growth. Pic #2 shows that they are not very big. And as you can see in pic #3, some are quite lovely.

Hack

This message was edited Jul 28, 2012 11:45 PM

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9222036

I don't think they'll bite, don't really know.

Hack

This message was edited Jul 28, 2012 11:52 PM
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9224610

Hack, I saw what I think was a bright blue Damselfly a couple of days ago. It was beautiful! I ran in to get my camera, but of course, by the time I returned it was no where to be found. Oh well, I'll keep trying...and looking at the ones you and others post.
TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9225417

nutsaboutnature wrote:Hack, I saw what I think was a bright blue Damselfly a couple of days ago. It was beautiful! I ran in to get my camera, but of course, by the time I returned it was no where to be found. Oh well, I'll keep trying...and looking at the ones you and others post.

I bet it was pretty, too. I haven't come across a Damselfly around here. They fly like dragonflies, but, of course, when they land they fold their wings back over their abdomen, unlike a dragonfly.

Ain't that just the way it always happens - no camera, something beautiful presents itself. Now, when I'm tooling around the yard on the 4-wheeler, I keep my camera around my neck. Been burned too many times.

Hack

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9225433

Same here Hack, many missed ops. I saw a Robber fly flew off carrying a wasp and I couldn't catch a good pic. I wished I had a set up ready and waiting for that scene, lol.

Had a Tersa sphinx caterpillar just before it wander off to pupate under the soil.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9225603

Nice catch on the Sphinx caterpillar, Lily.

Hack
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2012
2:58 AM

Post #9225662

Ditto on the Sphinx cat, Lily! That is one of the most interesting types of caterpillars and moths I can imagine. Hope you get some shots of the moth!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9228016

Patti, just now reading your post about the hummingbird photography. Thanks so much. That is quite interesting. The only good shots I've taken are with a feeder in the photo, so that is great information. I only have a point and shoot camera, but do find with hummers it is best to use the flash.
The photos you posted are awesome. Thanks again.
Sherri
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9228028

Nice pic of the Sphinx, Lily! Fascinating that they pupate underground.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9228029

Really nice photos, I especially like the bee on the blanket flower by Nuts, the nice sharp green dragonfly by Hack, and Lily that cat is a great photo.Burn the goldfish is a great shot also.

I have a fire bush with lots of aphids and the ladybugs are happily taking care of them for me. Great photo opportunity. ☺

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9228036

Thanks, sunkissed!

Really great close-ups of the aphid-eating ladybugs!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9228574

Wow! Sunkissed, the ladybug close-ups are excellent! I've seen ladybugs, but never when they were chowing down on aphids. Very cool!

I was out at a nearby park trying to shoot some video of tadpoles and this butterfly wouldn't leave me alone. Good problem to have, huh? I don't know why it liked the camo on my lens so much, but it kept flying up and sitting on it. I just ignored it after a while, but I did have to pull out my cell phone and take a few shots.

The second two are cropped so you can see the little guy. He sort of blends in with the camo.

I wonder if he was puddling? It was horribly hot that day and the camo lens cover is probably covered with salty sweat from my hands. I'll have to look up what kind of butterfly this is and see if they puddle.

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9228937

Hey, Patti, I think that b-fly is called a Tawny Emperor.

http://www.google.com/search?q=tawny emperor butterfly&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=MKEcUJPbEYLU9AS3_4C4CA&ved=0CFQQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=642

Hack
TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2012
9:30 PM

Post #9228944

As for puddling, did you happen to see it sitting around the water's edge, in the mud? I read that they like to congregate in unpleasant places. Tawny Emperors rarely visit flowers, but they do like tree sap, rotting fruit, dung and carrion - ugh.

Hack

This message was edited Aug 4, 2012 12:34 AM
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
2:29 AM

Post #9228994

Hack, Thanks for the ID! I couldn't figure out what it was. I never did notice where it went when it wasn't on my lens. But, that is quite possible since I was right on the water's edge. It was one of the few butterflies out there.
TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9229059

P_Edens wrote:Hack, Thanks for the ID! I couldn't figure out what it was. I never did notice where it went when it wasn't on my lens. But, that is quite possible since I was right on the water's edge. It was one of the few butterflies out there.

You're welcome.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9229506

That is pretty neat Patti. ☺
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9229685

Very cool pictures, Patti!

Hack, it's great that you knew what type of BF that was.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9229687

Patti, how did the video on the tadpoles work out? Here comes a male Eastern Tigerswallowtail, I think. Yesterday I had a female, this must be the subsequent brood since spring. Hack, have I got the gender on these butterfly down? Needed your help.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9229721

Lily, I will be interested to hear how to tell the difference between male and female Tigers. I do see the dark females in the Houston area, but I wouldn't know if a yellow one was male or female.

The tadpole video was not so good. I really needed a polarizing filter to cut the glare on the water. They were huge bullfrog tadpoles, swimming around just under the surface and feeding on algae. Every once in a while, one would pop up to the surface and extend about two inches or so out of the water and then just flop right back down in the water. One of the strangest things I've ever seen. I think maybe they were transitioning from gills to lungs and they had to surface to breathe.

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9229740

Yor're correct Lily, that's a male.

When I see "blue" at the wing bases, I think female, when I see black, I think male.

#1 - female Tiger Swallowtail

#2 - male Tiger Swallowtail

Hack

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2012
11:48 PM

Post #9235181

Drove out to the area pond / picnic area today and got these pics.

1- Turtles,, too many to count

2- Squirrle, trying to get in a trash can

3- One turtle all by itself.

4- One weird looking duck.

5- Three mallards cruising

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9235239

Hack, Thanks for the butterfly ID tips. Those butterfly images are beautiful. I enjoyed seeing all the pond critters; the squirrel is a cutie. I think the last photo is Canada Geese.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9235510

Morning, Hack - Really enjoyed all the wildlife pics. #5 is Canada Geese.

The 4th pic is a Muscovy Duck. They're commonly domesticated and, in fact, I had some Muscovies as pets many years ago along with other ducks and geese. They come in a wide array of colors, each one unique, and are fairly gentle.

Also, one year my husband and I were taking a "sort of" working vacation on an 80-acre farm in Michigan...much of it wooded plus it had a huge pond... owned by his sister and brother-in-law. They bought it as a place to bring their 7 kids on occasion, but most of the time it sat empty. We needed a break badly and they suggested we spend some time there.

During our 6-months there we built, repaired, drove tractors, chopped wood and had a wonderful time. They had a large variety of Chickens, Ducks and Geese of numerous types and during Spring they were all nesting and having offspring. Occasionally we had to try to save a baby for one reason or another. The living room became a baby nursery with small enclosures...each with heating pads, food, water and more. Some also required medication on regular schedules. We also had a small kid's pool in the yard with a ramp for growing ducks and geese. They would climb into our laps and nibble on our bare toes. It was a blast!

One of our many successes was a newly hatched Muscovy that was cold and lifeless when we found him in the empty nest. Having dealt with many baby birds in the past, I suggested that my husband cradle it in his hands and carefully blow on it to warm it's tiny body. After a while with no results we were starting to feel discouraged, when suddenly it loudly "peeped" and sat up. It was a wonderful moment and my husband named him "Miracle". We watched Miracle grow for a couple of months then saw him again several months later during a visit and he still remembered his name.

Sorry for such a long story, but it brings back so many memories of all those newly hatched babies.
TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9235636

P-Edens and nutsaboutnature - Oh, man, I knew that - those are Canada Geese, not mallards - don't know what I was thinking,

And, nutsaboutnature, thanks for the Muscovy duck ID, I know it was something like that, but couldn't remember, glad you knew. I enjoyed the story of Miracle, wonderful what you two did.

Hack
TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9235642

Snapped two dragonflies at the local pond. One of them, the Slaty, I've seen around the house.

1 and 2 - Female Slaty Skimmer (remember, back to a previous post) the male has a "boot" in its hind wing, female's don't.

3 and 4- This is a smaller that average d-fly - an Eastern Amberwing.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9235646

nutsaboutnature wrote:Cool pics, sunkissed! Nice to hear the baby wrens have made it out of the nest.

These little guys are so hard catch a decent pic of. They're so friendly, but they rarely sit still. Anyway, not the greatest shots, but I thought they were still kind of cute.

Edited to say, "Oops, I posted these pics in the wrong thread!" Headed over to the Bird Piccies to post again.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2012 11:14 AM

I think the picture is of a Black-Capped Chickadee (male)
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9235669

Oh, Thanks riceke, but I'm super-familiar with the Black-capped Chickadee as we've had lots of them year 'round for many, many years. Guess I just didn't post the name since they're so common and many of us have Chickadees of assorted types in various parts of the country. I appreciate the thought, though.

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9236791

nutsaboutnature...wasn't trying to be a know it all, just figured ya might have added the wrong description to the pic. I had a Carolina Wren (1st time I've seen one other than the common House Wren) build a nest in the corner of my patio cover 2 years in a row. Looked like a House but had lighter in more yellowish hue. Used to sit with my morning coffee watching her building the nest, feeding the chick but never got to see the maiden flight. She figured out my schedule and kicked them out of the nest when I wasn't there.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9236817

Riceke - I know you were trying to be helpful and I really appreciate it. I never thought you were being a know-it-all and if it sounded that way I apologize. Possibly the way I worded my sentence seemed like I was calling the Chickadee a Wren, but the Wrens I referred to were the babies Sunkissed had.

Chickadees are sometimes difficult to get a decent picture of. They're super-friendly, but they rarely sit still which is why I mentionted it in that post.

It's really cool that you could enjoy your coffee while watching the nest-building activities! Sorry you never got to see the babies.

If you get an opportunity to take pictures of any of the critters in your yard, we'd all love to see them. If not, just join in on the conversations, anytime!

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9236834

One thing I've observed about chickadees is I have a communal birdfeeder, that is sometimes shared with vagabond squirrels, where I have mostly cardinals defending. I get a big smile because the cardinals will drive everything off except the chickadees. It's like a circus, one or two will come to the station, the cardinals attack and another bunch of chickadees come in from the other side, and back and forth. Finally the cardinals give up. They are brave little creatures that seem not to have any fear of the beautiful but aggressive cardinal.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9236910

That must be hysterical to watch! The Cardinals in my yard are pretty tolerant of most other birds, but within their own breed they have a definite "pecking order" and the males won't share a feeder, sometimes chasing each other all over the yard.

You're right about the Chickadees being brave. They're usually the first ones to try out a new feeder even if all the other birds avoid it.
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9236938

Great pictures! This is one of my favorites from this summer. This little chippie lives under our patio, and he comes out to eat birdseed. One of the feeders is hanging near this plant, so seed falls down in it. Chippie retrieves the fallen seed.

Thumbnail by Countrymom

Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9236944

And this is one of the bunnies that comes to the patio every evening to eat shelled peanuts. It also nibbles on grass and weeds.

Thumbnail by Countrymom

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9237208

Countrymom.

Those are some pretty critters. I liked your pics so much that I read the EXIF data of your bunny photo. I see you used a Nikon Coolpix P5100. It did a great job for you. Both my wife and I have a P5100 each. I use mine for time-lapse opening of flowers and watching the growth of my Blue Sky Vine. She uses hers for birthdays, wedding showers, thanksgiving - everything - says my 40D / 7D cameras with their lenses are too big for her - but I'm used to the big camera setups. Now, the P5100 seems like a toy in my hands now, but it is certainly not a toy - as your pics show, it is a quality camera.

Do you ever have any problems with chipmunks tearing up your potted plants (throwing the soil out of the pot, like they're digging for something)? - I did, until I raised my pots and sat them atop concrete blocks.

Hack
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9237233

Countrymom, That chipmunk image scores a 10 on the Awe chart. Soooo cute. The bunny is a cutie too. And I agree with Hack - the colors and sharpness of the first image are exceptional.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9237360

Very cute pics, Countrymom! The little Chipmunk almost blends in with the flowers...almost...it's hard to hide those cute little fat cheeks. Love the little bunny, too.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9237783

Oh my gosh...my dreams have come true...our Squirrels are learning to grow their own food!!

As with many of you, I'm sure, our squirrels dig holes everywhere and deposit ( or "plant") food. Ours mostly plant sunflower seeds and whole corn. The corn grows quickly and usually gets mowed down when my husband does the lawn or pulled out of the flower beds by me. Last year we let one in an unused pot grow, just for fun, to see how tall it would get. We didn't expect it to produce anything as they need cross pollination (in rows). After it dried we kind of forgot about it.

Imagine our surprise yesterday to see the tiny dried ear of corn that fell off while we were working outside.

The link below is to my post from a year ago in the squirrel forum. It shows the growing stalk. Below that are a couple of pics of the ear of corn. It measures about 3-1/2" X1-1/4". Now that I've taken photos I intend to give it to the squirrels as a reward. Gee, I wonder if anyone sells tiny pairs of bib overalls...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8761308

Oops, I accidently hit preview before posting the pics so they're in the next post.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2012 11:51 AM
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9237788

Okay, here are the corn pics:

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9237796

Nuts,

LOL. Those tree rats ought to be good for something! If you can't find those tiny bib overalls, there's always Photoshop. :-)

In spite of the fact that they scarf down my birdseed, I enjoy watching the squirrels as much as the birds. I just wish they would learn to eat out of their own feeders and leave the bird feeders alone. I finally found a system they can't defeat. At least the squirrels in my yard haven't figured out how yet. The squirrel baffle on the pole gets 'em every time. It might just be a matter of time before they figure it out though.

Patti
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9237806

Patti, I guess it depends on the size of the squirrel baffles. It sounds like yours work well. My husband built large cone-shaped baffles out of galvanized steel probably at least 8 years ago. He made templates so he can replace them, but they last a very long time. He replaced them once even though they still worked fine, just so they'd look better.

We have tons of squirrels and they have not climbed the poles since he put the baffles up. They don't even try any more. We give the squirrels their own food and they get the seed that drops from the feeders. They also find other food around the yard...I've even seen them gorging on the "helicopter" maple seeds that fall from my neighbors tree.

I think some people put up baffles that are too small or too low. We learned quickly. The first ones we put up worked most of the time, but some of the larger squirrels got around them. The feeders also need to be high enough or they'll leap right over the baffles.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2012 1:28 PM
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9237865

TheHackster & P_Edens & nutsaboutnature - Thanks! I do like this camera. I use the old ULead to crop and enhance, and I just recently realized I can improve the focus. The focus makes a huge difference. Also, I've noticed the outdoor light makes a big difference too. Obviously the chippie was in the sunlight, so the colors were vibrant. The bunny visits near dusk, so no matter how much I focus and contrast, it is muted.

We have lots of birds, and many times the photo shots are too far away to get a clear picture, even with the zoom. I have been thinking about getting a different camera with a better zoom. Any suggestions ?

The chippie doesn't dig up the potted plants, but the brittle ones do get broken. And, of course, the birdseed he misses sprouts. This picture was taken in early summer. Now one of the marigolds is hanging because it is bent. It continues to bloom !

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9237883

Countrymom,

The camera would depend on what you like to shoot and your preferences, but I can recommend the Nikon Coolpix P510 if you are interested in a Bridge type camera. It came out in February of 2012. I was helping a friend here on DG sort through a lot of different cameras and that's what she ended up getting. I think she likes it.

It has a tremendous 42X zoom, 24 to 1000mm.

It does have some drawbacks though, so it just depends on what features you like. Making a list of the things you absolutely must have (at least 15X zoom, for example), things you would like to have and things you absolutely don't want (interchangeable lenses, for example) would help to narrow it down.

You might want to come up with a few things you want and don't want and what you mostly will photograph and start a thread in the Cameras and Photography forum here. A lot of photographers monitor that thread and will likely have some good recommendations.
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9237959

P_Edens - Thank you. I will check out the Cameras and Photography forum.
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9237963

These two groundhogs live under our little patio. We named the big one Murray, and the little one Kit. I think perhaps Murray should have been called Marie :) They eat peanuts, apples, zucchini bread, and occasionally birdseed.

Thumbnail by Countrymom

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9237984

Countrymom, after a huge amount of research I narrowed it down to two bridge cameras (for my needs) and still had trouble deciding. They are the Panasonic DMC FZ150 and the CANON SX40 HS. I am in the process of playing with both of them. I originally planned to keep one and return one, but decided I'd sell one on eBay instead to give me a little more time.

I actually love them both. Each one has features I prefer over the other so in the end I'll just have to pick one. All of the pics I've posted recently have come from one or the other of these two cameras (and I've only scratched the surface of what they'll do).

They come out with new ones all the time and, in fact, Panasonic has their newest bridge camera coming out this month (for even more money!).

Like Patti said, you should decide what your priorities would be. My needs may be entirely different than yours.

Good Luck!!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9237988

Countrymom, our posts crossed so I just saw your adorable Groundhogs. Sounds like they eat VERY well. Even zucchini bread...YUM!!
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9238963

nutsaboutnature - Thanks for the camera info. Glad you liked the groundhogs :)

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9239124

Countrymom you just have all kinds of cute critters under that patio. Love the animal shots.

Nuts, I've had tomatoes come up in pots that I'm sure the squirrels put the seeds there. I had two surprise plants this year, one cherry and one regular tomatoes. The cherry plant actually did very well and produced many tomatoes, but the other only gave us two and died out.

Hack just WOW on the tiger swallowtails, so great, especially the male. So Sharp. I like the turtles, I'm a turtle lover.

1. Green anole
2. Oleander cat
3. This poor squirrel has a growth on the neck, but seems to be fine.
4. Happy to have zebra longwings back this year...wish they'd stay still enough for a good shot. ☺
5. Another squirrel

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9239202

Hack, I don't know how I missed your Tiger Swallowtail pics and your most recent Dragonflies! Beautiful shots of the butterflies and, as always, I'm amazed how many dragonflies you get!

Sunkissed - what an incredible variety! I bet the Green Anole would blend in with a lot of foliage. That Oleander cat is very unusual looking...kind of like a porcupine. Oh, that poor little Squirrel. I hope whatever that growth is goes away. The Zebra Longwing is just beautiful and the squirrel pose on the end is so cute.
How nice of your squirrels to grow tomatoes for you!

This is one of the many Ground Squirrels that inhabit our yard.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2012 5:41 PM

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9242241

Here's a couple of pics of a little Bunny that visited our yard the other night during the last bits of sunlight.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9242270

Countrymom, The groundhogs are so cute! And ditto what Nutsaboutnature said. They do eat well!

Sunkissed, What a treat to see all those photos! The cat is gorgeous and would make a great bottle brush. :-) Glad the squirrel is managing - poor little guy. Just love that last squirrel image - looks like he climbed up there and peeked out just to pose for you. How cute!

Nutsaboutnature, That little ground squirrel is so cute - we don't see anything like that around here. Beautiful golden light on that bunny! Perfect time for photography.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9242399

Thanks, P_Edens! Ground Squirrels are in the same family as Chipmunks and just like chipmunks, they stuff their cheeks with food to hide away for the Winter since they're partial hibernators. They live underground in burrows that they dig under just about anything. Sometimes that can cause problems, but yes, they are extremely adorable.
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9242681

Great bunny and squirrel pics! The Green anole is a critter we never see around here. Pretty color.
TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 15, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9242707

Those are some nice pics of the ground squirrel and bunny, nuts.

I got out my Canon 100 mm macro out today when I saw this bumble bee around my snap dragons. It would land, and near about crawl all the way inside to get the goody.

Hack

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2012
9:12 PM

Post #9243111

Thanks Countrymom & Hack!

Great pics of the Bumble Bee, Hack! Your Snapdragon is also a beautiful shade of pink!
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 16, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9243575

Great critters!!!
Nuts I love the bunny, and your harvest of corn from your squirrel. lol .
Sunkissed, do you raise butterflies? The Zebra longwings is a beautiful one. cute Oleander cat too.
Countrymom, love your pair of groundhogs. I'd be like you and feed all sort of animals, if I had my way. But some of my neighbors, would probably do them harm here... And I saw the other day, that you had asked me quite a while back, on my facebook account, if I was the same person as on here. Yes I am.. I hardly ever go on facebook. I pop in there once in a blue moon. ;)
Hack, that be shot is really nice. I also like the shade of pink in your flower.

1. A ladybug larva
2. Pupa stage
3 and 4 are two different newly emerged ladybug.
TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9243821

Thanks burn,

Where are your 4 pics?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9243835

Yes, Bernadette, I'm waiting for you pics. lol
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 16, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9243934

Oops lol, I had an error message, and thought I had lost everything. I guess I should try again euh? Please pardon my tardiness on posting them again.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9243948

Nice, burn, that ladybug larva is certainly eye-catching.

Hack
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9243966

Very cool to see those three stages of the Ladybug, Burn!

Hack, Pretty pink flowers with those bumble bees. I missed that the first time around.

This message was edited Aug 16, 2012 8:27 PM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9244058

Nice capture of the bumble bee on the pretty snapdragon Hack. Bernadette, love that series of the ladybug transformation. It's a pleasure to find those in the garden. I've been watching this Preying Mantis since spring. It does morph rather slowly. Then yesterday I discovered a second one on my little container garden. Beside these two green ones. I saw one (preying mantis) that is brown, and its body varies somewhat, it look half walking stick-like, half preying mantis. If and when I find the picture of that brown Mantis I'll post to share here.

Second pix, I've two Tersa Sphinx moths that eclosed earlier this morning. As it's turning dard outdoor, I'll free them to enjoy the flowers outside. The pictures are pretty much self explaintory, the last one shows a little cup with two remainder Tersa Sphinx pupae and a Tobaco hornworm pupa.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9244103

Glad to see the Sphinx moth. They are interesting creatures that I seldom see unless I go to the arboretum in Houston where there are usually a couple of different types. Hope you can get a shot of the brown mantis.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9246962

This doe and her fawns came by almost every morning last week!

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 19, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9247043

Nan, they're so adorable. How cool is that to see them coming so close to the garden. Bet your grandchildren are glad to see them too. Patti, I found the photos of the brown Preying Mantis. Will be back with pics. in a moment.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 19, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9247048

1, 2, & 3 are those of the brown Preying Mantis, look at its abdomen; it takes shape of a walking stick's, rather than the Mantis' ab. What say you?. #4 is the seedpod on a double blooming datura that was polinated by one of the nocturnal moths. And I am giving credits to my Tersa sphinx Moth-- I'm pretty sure because of their present in the garden thus made my seedpod viable. By far I had quite a few blooms, but only this lone seedpod survived. Others probably were not pollinated. I released a 3rd Tersa sphinx moth yesterday. :))

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9247336

Nuts, what an adorable ground squirrel and a nice clear shot of the bunny.

Hack, great catch of the bumble bee...I love to watch my bumble bees and try to photo graph them...not an easy task.

No burn I don't raise butterflies, well sort of, I help them out and do have a garden full of them and host plants for the cats. The oleander cats ate every single leaf on my plants, now I see the pretty moth flying around...hope to catch a photo of them...sort of looks like a colorful wasp.

lily hunting for the praying mantis was like "Where's Waldo"...lol. I don't think I've ever seen a praying mantis in my garden.

nanny, how wonderful to have visits of deer in the mornings, they are so cute.

We have a family of 5 wrens and a family of 3 cardinals. that we love to watch every morning and evening in our garden. I just can't seem to get close enough for a good photo...have to use the zoom in. And forget getting a shot of the hummingbirds...maybe I should get a feeder and they'll stay still long enough.

The dark swallowtails are loving my pentas right now, they don't seem to mind me while photographing them.
Last shot is a brown anole with his dewlap extended.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9247411

Agreed, Sherri. Those Mantises are quite elusive. Love your photos of the critters in the garden. These past weeks I've seen baby Mockingbird and a feisty Momma tried to swoop down on my dog during our morning walk. It's funny since the dog was oblivious to the action of the tiny bird/aggressor above his head. But the bird was non-so happy seeing the big dog by the Azalea shrub that the birds nest is inside. The Anole is quite big isn't it? neat photo!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9247479

Burn, love the shots of the ladybug at various stages...very cool! Thanks for the compliments on my pics. I wonder if I can teach the Squirrels to plant in rows. They'd get a much larger harvest that way!

Lily, great shots of the Praying Mantis and the Tersa Sphinx! Is the Tobacco Hornworm like the Tomato Hornworm?

Awwww, nanny, such a sweet family!! The fawns are darling! During the Summer, our Deer mostly come at night. We start seeing them more during the day in Autumn, then much more in Winter.

Nice (and interesting) pics, Lily! You peaked my curiosity with that unusual brown "Walking Stick" Mantis. I searched a little online, but all I found is that brown is a common color and sometimes even just humidity levels will change the color, but no mention of one that looked more like a Walking Stick. But it appears that lots of people ask about that based on the comments I found.

Thanks for your kind comments, Sunkissed! Your pics are great! I love the Brown Anole...perfect timing!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9247719

n.a.n. The two Hornworms are very similar, one has a V stripe and the other a one stroke-like slant. V = Tomato, and the one / is for the tomato. They do eat plants that are in the nightshade family, such as tomato and tabacco potatoe ect. The Tersa however feed on Pentas which is a tender perennial here in my zone.
TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9247905

1- This skink is one skittish critter. I caught it peeking around the corner on my porch and got a pic. When I tried to move to get a better view, it was gone in a flash.

2- This butterfly was flittering around, landing on dead grass. It never did visit any of my flowers. It is a Cloudywing Skipper - a little bigger than a quarter.

Bye, Hack

Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9248846

Great pictures everyone! I would never have seen that praying mantis. Amazing how they camouflage. The butterfly is gorgeous! The fawns are adorable.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 21, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9249094

Lily we had mocking birds that nested in my garden every year and they would get nasty if anyone came around their babies, and my poor dog, they'd swoop down on her all the time. She didn't mind them either. However over the years the cardinals have staked their claim here and I see them chase the mocking birds away. They all love to eat the berries on my Podocarpus trees.

Hack I think skinks are so cool looking, they are pretty skittish though. I have some good shots of some, I'll have to dig in the archives to find them.
TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9249108

sunkissed wrote:Hack I think skinks are so cool looking, they are pretty skittish though. I have some good shots of some, I'll have to dig in the archives to find them.

yes, sunkissed, please do.

Bye, Hack

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9253594

I'm just thrilled! I've been seeing quite a few insects on my Gaillardia (and also a few on my Black-eyed Susans) that I don't remember seeing before. Naturally I figured they were an invader of some kind, but left them alone till I knew for sure.

I posted a question in DG "Insect and Spider Identification" earlier today and got an answer very quickly from "Flapdoodle"

It turns out it's a beneficial pollenator and predator called a Soldier Beetle 'Chauliognathus'. Many of you may already be familiar with them. I guess they're pretty common so I'm not sure why I don't recall them.

I took a few pics this morning so I could get it identified. I think it's kind of a neat-looking bug. I hope all of you are lucky enough to have some of these guys.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature      

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 25, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9253808

That is very interesting, Nuts. I came upon the same bug, for the first time this summer. Thanks for the info on it. You've done the work for me. :)
Neat skink, Hack. I'm sure he enjoys playing hide and seek with you. lol
Great find, Kim. He is not easy to spot.
Ohhh nice catch on the black Swallowtail butterfly, and the little anole, sunkissed.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9254208

You're welcome, burn! And that is interesting. I wonder if they are "on the move" into areas they haven't been before. Well, they're welcome to hang out in my yard!

Lily, Thanks for explaining the differences between the two Hornworms!

Hack, the Skink is cool! I don't see lizards around here. I used to see all sorts of them as a kid in California. Pretty Cloudwing Skipper, too!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9254226

How neat, we can learn about interesting bugs from each other which we'd never have noticed before. n.a.n. The bug's has stripes on its abdomen looks somewhat what as if it mimics a Wasp? I am glad to share what I've observed...only now I can't post photos on DG. I hope THE bug can be worked out soon.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9254246

Lily, I was so fascinated by this insect that I wanted others to know about it, too.

I agree about the new uploading feature! I've been following the two threads about it so I know you've not been able to load pics. I'm able to upload, but some pics won't load at all and just sit there. I also can't use the CTRL multiple upload feature even though it works for me on every other website I've used it on. Personally, I was perfectly happy with the old uploading feature...Hmph...progress!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9254295

So was I-- being contented with the old uploading feature. It would be sad if I should have to part with DG eventually due in part due to PROGRESS. I don't know what else to do... trying to FIX something I don't know how to is proven quite nonappealing.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9254379

Lily, you mentioned that you thought you were on G. Chrome, but that you were actually on IE so you switched around. If you can go back to IE, try clicking on "Tools" at the very top of the screen (where it says File, Edit, etc.). about half way down does it say Compatibility View or Compatibility View Settings?

If it says Compatibility View, does it have a check-mark next to it or is it grayed out?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9254402

n.a.n. I do indeed have IE9, but under "Tools" I do not have "Compatibility View"...
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9254421

Hmmm...that is very odd??? I'm sorry, I know it's so frustrating. Would you try one more thing? This needs to be done while you're on DG. At the very top of your screen next to the browser, do you see a funny-looking Icon that looks kind of like a broken, jagged white square? If so, try clicking on it. That's another way to change Compatibility View.

After reading about this in the thread, I've tried switching back and forth. What I've found is when Compatibility View is ON I can't see the "Choose a File" link. As soon as I click it off, that link comes back. Even so, the new feature is still having problems, but at least you should be able to load one pic at a time.

Edited to say: Oops, I should have mentioned that the icon might look Green instead of White, which means Compatibility View is ON. If you click on it to turn it OFF it should turn White. Either way, check to see if you have "Choose a File" after clicking it.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2012 1:59 PM

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 26, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9254446

I'm just checking out they new photo uploading since I'm reading some are having problems. I have Google Chrome, and don't seem to have any problems...maybe they have some kinks to work out.

These critters are my three sons, twenty years ago. :)

Thumbnail by sunkissed

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9254577

Oooh, they look "wild"! Very cute, sunkissed!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9254583

Neat memory picture of your 3 sons Sherri. n.a.n. I did what you've suggested, still no "choose file" button. :((
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9254836

So sorry, Lily...maybe tomorrow (fingers are crossed).

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9256617

Tomorrow is ... beautiful! I'm so glad that my problem is solved. Here we go; a mating pair of damselflies. One of my fav. photos of the day.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9256808

Ooh, so cool! Also lovely pic of your lake!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9262280

Here comes the Praying Mantis. I think it's a female, and that she's pregnant maybe? She looks it anyhow. I noticed 3 Mantises in the garden. However, this particular one isn't very elusive. "She" seems to have chosen this brug. as her domain. When the wind is high, or the temp. is very hot. She will mozy down to the base of the container for shelter. Then sooner than later she's would come out to hunt and play.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9262298

1. The same Mantis this morning.
2. A Damselfly on Impatiens.
3. A spider with its prey.
4. A Silver Spotted Skipper.
5. Last but not least, a young Mallard.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9262320

Love your pics, Kim! Your Mantis looks like she's "just chillin' and enjoying the view". Beautiful blue Damselfly. I rarely see Dragonflies or Damselflies in my area and the rare one I see is always when my camera's in the house.
TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9262449

Lily, the Damselfly on your Impatiens is my favorite. Nice color.

Hack

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9262470

Thanks Hack, and n.a.n. Okay, here come couple shots of the Swan. It seems to enjoy being around the Pekin ducks. :)

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love         

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

September 2, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9262892

Great pictures of your bugs Kim. beautiful blue on the damselfly. Love the spider with it`s prey.
Sunkissed, those are some awesome critters.:))
I went for a drive yesterday hoping to find some wildlife, But didn`t find any moose nor fox or snake, neither bears :( But did see Moose tracks in the mud.

Migration under way of Canada Geese.
I disturbed this moth, the other day, and it flew to my flower box, neat one.
A curious Downy WP.
A red dragonfly resting on a rock, near a beaver pond.
A small grass hopper.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9263671

Wow, Kim, that's awesome! Maybe your Swan likes that the Pekins are the same color. He/she(?) really comes close to the shore!

Burn, I love to hear and see the huge flocks of Geese flying overhead. We have them here year 'round, but there must be flocks that migrate through cause in Autumn we start seeing and/or hearing huge flocks. That's a really cool moth. Love your "curious" Downy WP and the Dragonfly and grasshopper shots are great.
TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9266544

Been seeing this little anole around, but never had the camera. Finally, I saw it basking in the sun so I set back aways and used the 7D with the 70-300L lens to snap the pic. I sure like this camera/lens combo.

Hack

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9268763

Bernadette, those are great photos of all sort of critters in the garden. I'm near a lake and the Geese arrived in droves this past week. As temp. cools down, I'll be looking for American Coots migrating South too. n.a.n. The Swan and the Pekin Ducks kinda reminds me of the saying "Bird of the same feather..." lol

Hack, I love what the 7D and the lens combo. can do in providing such beautiful images. Such clarity! Hopefully Santa will bring me an upgraded camera and lens this Christmas. lol

I'm seeing Nuthatches and Chickadees are scouting out nest boxes for Fall roosting in the garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9268789

Hack, your Anole "series" is wonderful, very crisp and beautiful color!

Kim, I love your nest boxes! They look like pretty little houses. Do you have problems with fighting over over them?

We had temps down to 48 last night...great sleeping weather!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9268792

Oh boy, I have been reading and enjoying all of the photos since I was here last!

Nanny, It is so cute to see those fawns with Mom. What a wonderful experience to have and share.

Kim, Fantastic mantis captures! They are so hard to spot - especially in nature and even in your photos. I don't know how you find them. Had to laugh at Sunkissed's comment about Where's Waldo. So true! The view with the mating damsels is so nice. The "damsel on Impatiens" image is lovely - wonderful colors! How cool to see that swan and the interaction with the ducks is a bonus. Cute nest boxes. Hope you get some takers.

Sunkissed, That is an adorable little wren! Very awesome that you caught that anole with the dewlap extended. And that was an absolutely precious photo of your Trick or Treaters.

Hack, Glad that skink stopped long enough for you to get a shot. It is quite sleek with that racing stripe. :-) It is amazing how camouflaged that skipper is. The image of the anole with your new camera/lens combo is fantastic!

n.a.n., Cool looking bug and beautiful flower! Thanks for the ID and info.

Burn, That moth is interesting. The orange bits and the shape remind me of some of the skipper butterflies. What a gorgeous dragon and fantastic photo. The even-colored and even-textured rock in the background really shows off the dragonfly.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9269230

Patti said
Quoting: ...mantis ... hard to spot- especially in nature ... I don't know how you find them.
Patti, I've a flowering Jatropa shrub. And for the past couple of years they (mantis) have taken a liking to deposit their eggs on the Jatropa branch. I missed finding them when the larvae first hatched. But one or two of the buggers made it through the growing season. And they recycled their pattern. By that I meant they make more offsprings. I've an advantage in that the Jatropa shrub is a tropical plant, so I've to keep it in container culture and overwintered them indoor every winter. So when the plant is returned to its position outdoor under the sun. I can most often find one or two mantises on the plant. Speaking of Mantises' eggs. I've been watching the two females mantises, and as I discovered, the ones that look more slender, and camouflage in brown- forms...are actually the males. As the story continues ...
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9269246

Fascinating, Kim! Look forward to more of the Mantis saga.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9269269

1. Young male Praying Mantis hiding in the Jatropa plant. These mantises appeared to be territorial, they singled out a plant and pretty much stay there all through the growing season.
2. Here, if you look closely the green female Mantis is seen on her favorite plant, the brugmansia. Also, I've noticed she looked very pregnant lately...but not today! She looks "skinnier". :-)
3. By Golly! I found a newly formed eggs-mass on the brug. this year. See what I meant by "she likes the plant" ? It's her domain!
4. Even though she has laid her eggs. She remains closely by the site as if to guard her eggs.

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9270334

Patti, you're Very Welcome! I naturally assumed those bugs would eat holes in all my plants. It was a surprise and a thrill to learn they were "good guys"! They're still around, too. They seem to really like my Gaillardia.

Kim, very interesting info about the Mantids and a wonderful series of pics (love those Brugs)! I once knew a lady that had a Mantis in her living room all Winter. It lived on her curtains and continued to grow so it must have found enough food. She checked on it every morning to see if it was still there. The following Spring she put it outside in her garden.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9272437

n.a.n. Thanks. I'm glad you've enjoyed the photos. Here goes, more pics. of the female Mantis staying close to her nest on pic. #1 and #2. This is the 1st time that I found one that has chosen the brugmansia to make it home. #3 & #5 are Monarch caterpillars on their hostplant the Milkweed. #4 is a crab spider that decided the plumeria flowers is a spendid place to "call" home. The spider is seen here for days. Just like the Mantis, it has made this its chosen territory.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Wildlife Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Doing the Bunny Leap Bloomer 5 Apr 6, 2012 10:46 AM
The nicest thing happened in the local Walmart in their greenhouse.............. Merry_Sunshine 2 Apr 6, 2012 10:44 AM
Black Panther at pond BittysGarden 3 Apr 6, 2012 10:56 AM
BIG cat incident lantana 7 May 16, 2012 7:21 PM
I'm A Moose Matador Weezingreens 166 Feb 6, 2014 5:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America