Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tomatoes: Will they ever ripen?

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 4, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mimitho
Sonoma County, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2012
11:25 PM

Post #9216539

I've been watching my green tomatoes for what seems like forever! Well, really just a month or so, but even the Yellow pears are just dangling greenies. The plants are huge monsters, practically crawling out of the garden. More and more flowers are bursting out. Does it sound like too much nitrogen? This was the first time I added compost to the raised beds, which were dormant for 3 years.

All the tomatoes are setting fruit, just not ripening: Persimmon, San Francisco Fog, Black Plum, Yellow Pear, Sweet 100, Isis Candy, Purple Cherokee.

We had some late rains, and it's hot to me, but maybe not the plants.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 24, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9216611

Too much N can inhibit blossom formation and fruit set, but not ripening and you say blossoms are still forming.

To me, it sounds like a case of:

Patience is a virtue
Find it if you can
You'll find it in a woman
But seldom in a man.

( and one can reverse the woman and man as the situation demands, LOL)

And that would be Cherokee Purple, not the reverse. It was Seeds by Design in CA, a wholesale place, that sent out seeds with the reversed name of Purple Cherokee, but my best tomato friend, Craig LeHoullier was the one who named it, seeds from John Green of TN and he named it Cherokee Purple. ( smile)

Carolyn
mimitho
Sonoma County, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9216996

Thanks for your wise words. I think the combination of me being 3 years out of practice with gardening, and the repeated inquiries of my toddler rubbing off on me in the lack of patience department is making it seem like it's longer than it's been.

These are pictures of what is taunting me:
1. Yellow Pear that is HUGE and looks like it's about to explode.
2. San Francisco Fog which has been sitting here for my foggy mornings.
3. Sweet 100's lining up, mocking me
4. Cherokee Purple is getting bigger and bigger
5. Turn your head, but this is a picture of just FOUR plants. They are stepping out of the raised beds and are each at least 6 feet tall.

Thumbnail by mimitho   Thumbnail by mimitho   Thumbnail by mimitho   Thumbnail by mimitho   Thumbnail by mimitho
Click an image for an enlarged view.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9217001

Your tomatoes look great! Really it can seem like forever for those first fruits to get ripe enough to pick. I watched my green tomatoes each day until I finially started getting ripe ones and I still watch them everyday. Patience, patience.
MapleLady
La Center, WA

July 27, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9220773

Stop watering and the tomatoes will ripen.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America