Photo by Melody

Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the Spring: Chrysanthemums the exception?

Communities > Forums > Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the Spring
bookmark
Forum: Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the SpringReplies: 1, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pastapicker
Columbus, OH

July 24, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9216821

I always had no luck getting them to overwinter and come back when I bought and planted them in the fall (even the ones that I made sure were labeled "hardy", as I know that many of the plants sold by florists and garden centers are not) -- have heard many complain about the same thing. But all the chrysanthemums that I have planted earlier in the year-- through mid summer-- have survived and come back year after year.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9216888

Ah, you've got me there. You're talking about the beautifully fall-colored mums which are sold in the autumn. You buy them (I do, at least, as an impulse purchase, not having thought it over usually,) and arrive home from the grocery store (or wherever) with the car full of mums!

Flowers, like mums, which do MOST of their flowering up to and even after frost may not be the best candidates for fall planting. If you wish to plant in the fall, it should not be a plant in the middle of a (maybe hormone-stimulated) flowering frenzy. It should be a relaxed, maybe even already slightly dormant plant. If you want chrysanthemums to return, happily and eagerly, year after year, you need to be respectful and polite that first year. For mums, that means 1.don't let them get freeze-thawed-freeze, 2.give them time to get established before the first frost (which may be out of synch with when they are sold as flowering plants), 3.make sure you have a cultivar that is hardy in your zone.

Good luck, and thanks for the extremely interesting question!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the Spring Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fall is for planting, fer sure vossner 7 Sep 8, 2008 4:35 PM
Gladiolus bulbs Gisforgran 8 Sep 10, 2008 6:43 PM
Fall is for planting CHOOD 7 Sep 9, 2008 9:09 AM
Platycodon in Zone 6 Patches001 2 Oct 1, 2009 2:04 PM
thank you Carrie! JacalynFromCanada 1 Sep 9, 2008 9:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America