Photo by Melody

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: HELP!! My Green Mountain Maple Has Been Stripped by My Dog!!

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 7, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sburt
John Day, OR

July 24, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9216984

Just purchased a Green Mountain Maple and haven't had a chance to plant it; it is still in the pot. Just got home from grocery shopping and my dog Libby not only dug in the pot but stripped half of the outer bark off the trunk; all the way from the bottom to the lowest limb on one side! Now, what do I do??? Will it live? Help!

Thumbnail by sburt   Thumbnail by sburt
Click an image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9217073

If the tree has had the bark striped all the way around, called girdling, it will not live.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9217315

Agreed - that's not good.

This plant will likely die, but as gardeners - hope springs eternal.

I'd go ahead and plant it somewhere. I wouldn't pick a favorite spot, maybe someplace out of the way (neighbor you don't like?) where it won't matter if it struggles. Water and fertilizer, and watch for pest infestations.

Who knew you'd need deer fence to guard against your dog? Make 'im dig the hole for the maple...
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #9217633

I wouldn't spend the next two or three years hoping for it to live and then have it die anyway. It is very unlikely to survive and if it does, imo it will struggle or be prone to disease down the road.
AndyBonsai
other
Germany

July 27, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9220452

i would use cut paste, it is a syntetic bark and should be able to protect your tree.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9220471

What is 'Cut Paste"? I tried to Google it and didn't find it.
granitegneiss
Norridgewock, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2012
3:26 AM

Post #9224480

I'm doubtful cut paste would help on damage this severe--it is sold in bonsai stores to use when a limb is trimmed. It just covers the wound, but there is controversy whether covering a wound is a good idea. This bark will never grow back, it will always be severe damage. That said, the tree may live a long time. I agree with the suggestion to plant it a bit out of the way so it won't break your heart every time you see it.
AndyBonsai
other
Germany

August 2, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9226947

how is your tree doing?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America