Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: New Trees Weeping blue atlas, skyrocket Juniper and more

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
destinip
Oklahoma City, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9217225

I have a lot to show everyone for your help to get through the first couple of months with my beautiful new trees.I am having a couple of problems with them and I have already lost 2. These here are Spruce (I believe) and on one side of the tree they look completely healthy then on the other side they look like this. Whats up? Bugs Watering? I have no clue. Help. Thanks I will answer any questions with no problem.

Thumbnail by destinip
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9217399

With all the hot weather going on across the country this year, it's probably a tough year for things that were planted and didn't have much (if any) time to get settled before hot weather hit--sounds like yours were planted fairly recently so I would guess that they had hot weather hit them too soon after planting. Unfortunately in that sort of situation, even if you do everything right things sometimes still won't make it, and the hotter it is and the less time they've had to get established before hot weather the worse your odds are. It's definitely worth checking your watering (try the finger test--stick your finger down a few inches and see how wet it feels--if it's bone dry then you are probably underwatering, but if it's still really wet then you need to back off). If you're watering appropriately and your weather is hot, it might help if you could rig up some shade to protect them a little bit from the sun, that may lessen the stress they're under and help them pull through until cooler weather in the fall. (as a side note--is it the side that's getting more sun that looks worse?)
destinip
Oklahoma City, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9217594

Yes it is the side that gets the most sun that looks the worse. All the information you have shared with me really helps. I really have not thought about that. I just could not pass up the opportunity to get my beloved trees. But the timing could not have been worse both for me (it was sooo hot planting them) and the trees. Thank you so much. I will figure out some way to get some shade on them. The Oklahoma sun is hot hot hot.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9217608

I also have the problem that I can't resist buying things during the summer, but I learned years ago that I have much better luck if I keep them in pots in an area that gets afternoon shade through the summer and then plant them in the fall when things cool off (actually I usually wait until closer to winter because our winters aren't that cold and that's when we get all our rain, but for you fall would be better)

Hopefully if you can rig up some shade to protect them from sun during the hottest part of the day and make sure you're watering properly they may pull through, but in my experience sometimes once things go too far downhill it can be too late to turn them around. It's hard to predict in advance though what will pull through and what won't so I'd definitely keep up your efforts.
destinip
Oklahoma City, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9217987

Believe me I am trying my hardest to keep their heads above water. It is a challenge though. Right now to check if they need water I use a bamboo stick and push it in the ground a ways then pull it out and check how damp the stick is. Is that the best way to check? Thanks again for all your help. I wish I would have known to pot them until then. Do you think it is to late to do that now?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9219237

Yes, the bamboo stick is a good way to check for moisture. As far as potting them now--digging them up again and potting them will add some more stress which wouldn't be great for them either, so if there's a way you can rig up a little shade for them and keep them where they are that's what I'd probably do instead.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America