-
AuthorContent
Irish710
Mount Dora, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9217237

I learned the hard way that all I needed to add to my sand (called soil) is mushroom compose. No more black cow, sphagnum moss, etc. All plants, potted or in-ground get 2/3 sand 1/3 mushroom compose. Mush. Comp. added couple times during the season too. That's what they'll have when transplanted into the ground.
So my question is can you start Irises off in pots and transplant later? What is later? Before a cold snap or before spring? While I'm on a roll, do irises require a dormant period?
Do irises require any of the "special" fertilizers? One was 5-50-10 which just blew me away. I ASSUME a force bloomer ????

Having my Irises thrive in Florida is my main concern.

One more thing. Sun. When everyone else says sun for at least six hours, my hardiest plants are wilting. Where I intend to put my Irises will have sun from rise till 4-5 p.m. If it didn't rain that day, I have to water. By day two, plants are in rough shape, and day three their dead.

Thanks everyone in advance.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

July 25, 2012
3:58 AM

Post #9217719

I think that irises can be difficult in FL. The low nitrogen fertilizer is a good idea. Otherwise it will be all leaves. Look for http://www.irises.org for the American Iris Society. Follow 'links' for Florida. Someone there could tell you more about working in your climate.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

July 25, 2012
4:18 AM

Post #9217728

ok Fl is in region 5. The RVP of the region lists e-mail as waynecjr&bellsouth.net

He would answer questions & perhaps can find a local iris club in FL
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2012
1:36 AM

Post #9219017

I tried TB irises in Cocoa Beach and had bloom only once. The first season after bringing from NY. I have since moved on to Walking iris, yellow and white, and the large bloom white (African) irises that I bought at Rockledge Gardens. The winters just aren't cold enough, long enough. Good luck with your experiments.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

July 26, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9219131

Try something like Iris japonica.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9219456

Just wanted to comment on the mushroom compost, it would be good for bearded irises, but they add lime to it, so watch out for any plant that likes acidic conditions. Don't use it on them! :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Irises Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Irises forum dave 25 Jul 7, 2011 8:35 AM
autopsy photo! miss_kitty 10 Jun 11, 2013 1:18 PM
Another Iris? in need of identification mgh 33 Jul 6, 2007 10:03 PM
Trail Of Tears Iris starlight1153 15 May 2, 2010 6:44 PM
How to Hybridize Iris tazzy 23 Sep 18, 2007 1:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America