Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: drought care for perennials

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IACCRN
Blairsburg, IA

July 24, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9217387

If perennials die because of lack of water d/t drought, will the perennials survive and return next year.
MiniPonyFarmer
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2012
2:37 AM

Post #9240853

We had a horrible drought last year in TX, which they said was the worst on record in 100 years. I had to turn my back on my flowerbeds and let it go. Water was scarce and it was not even effective to water the beds because it evaporated before it could soak in. This spring, I was srprised to see the things that actually DID live. Seedlings for many perennials popped up everywhere! The mother plant may have died but there were many offspring left to be transplanted. Almost all of my established plants (irises, bulbs, clematis, daylilies) lived. I did lose a few roses. The plants that survived rooted deeper and they bloomed better than ever this spring.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9241060

Sometimes the top growth will die but the roots are still alive and then they might come back next year, but some of them may have actually died. Hard to tell though until you wait until next year and see what comes back. And as MiniPonyFarmer mentioned, if the plants did bloom and go to seed earlier in the year then you could still get some reseeding so you may "save" some things that way too.

I would say if the plants were ones that you just planted this year then your chances that they are still alive are lower because they wouldn't have had time to get their roots well established. But if they're things that have been in the ground several years and were well established then there's a decent chance some of them will come back.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America