-
AuthorContent
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9217469

I found this going on right before sunset...I'm not going to any sleep tonight!
Sorry, for the poor quality photos, of course my camera is no where to be found when I need it.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9217547

Congrats, bull or heifer calf?

Joy

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9217560

Awww! Babies are so cute and fun!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9217900

Thank you, Ladies!
It's a heifer! I couldn't get a good look last night because the sun was going down so fast. I was up with the dawn to get a good look!
No name, yet :0)

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9217964

She is certainly a cutie!! What is she doing in that black thing?
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9218100

It's a garden cart. lol I needed to take them both to the milking shed and they refuse to budge without each other. In the westerns they throw the calves over their shoulders. However, the calves are heavier then they look and I'm not a real cowgirl :0)
sweetmommy
Fulshear, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9218124

She is so cute! Congrats!

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9218287

AWWWWW How cayute

what a little blessing !
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9218792

How sweet! I can't believe you haven't got a name picked out already.
And I love the use of the garden cart. I can see the ad, "garden carts... they're not just for gardening anymore!"
Far better to use the brain than the brawn. lol

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9218846

I thought it looked similar to a wheelbarrow! LOL

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2012
10:26 PM

Post #9218966

You are EXTREMELY lucky to have such a gentle mama! Ours were always half wild and when they freshened were ready to hurt anything close!!! Ummm, cowboys threw them over the saddle if mama let em get that close, chuckl, I couldn't do it now, but many a calf that was too tired to walk when mama was heading for the barn managed to ride with me- wet or no, chuckl, some of them my horse would lead- by makin mama charge short distances with calf behind, til they caught on. Had to be careful- a mile is a long way home to walk if you survived being rolled by a mad mama. Heifer looks good! You'll have milk by the first week- calves only suckl one teat, if you milk her to save the colostrum make sure it's marked that way!!!

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9219073

Kitt, it sure sounds like you have had a very interesting and exciting life.
I remember when I lived for a while with my aunt in the mountains, they had goats and they used the milk, the colostrum was used for us to make cheese or eat as a pudding, it curdles when you cook it, then strain it, and it is delicious with a little sugar and cinnamon added.
I don't know if the same thing happens with cow's milk.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9219086

Oh how sweet a face does that baby have... Ohhhhhh. You should have cutness alert on the title... Don't those little ones just sucker ya...

Yes great use of the cart.

Jan

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9219183

Ummm, I wouldn't use a cows colostrum- it was often a bit bloody the first few days- a goats isn't quite the same- but you do get the cream after the calf feeds cuz it's the last thing left after the milk comes down, after 3 to 5 days when the colostrum has cleared on up. We refrigerated the colostrum to feed the calf after we took the calf away on the 3rd day to put the cow back into production. This is probably going to be a 'nurse cow?' so they will share milk with the calf and let the calf stay with mama cow- cocoa? She's a beautiful little heifer!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9219230

Kristi, the box my cart came in did say "all purpose".lol

We're naming her Kitten. Dh says she looks like a rabbit, however, we have a cat named Bunny Foo-Foo, so the next logical move would be to name her after a cat. See? LOL

Kittriana, these girls (I have two diary cows) are very tame. They were 'milk shared' raised calves themselves, daily handling since they were born. I can go out and join them in the pasture while they are laying, chewing cud, and use their big bodies like a recliner and read a book. Despite their gentle nature and the casualness of my photographs, I'm still extremely cautious around any new mother. I never get between her and the calf and know what moves make her nervous. Hormones are hormones, always best not to push your luck.lol

Josephine, that is a wonderful memory to have. I wish all kids could have a chance to spend some time on a farm. I think I have a colostrum recipe, I'll have to look it up. We freeze it and keep in case of emergency. Last year when I was telling my brother (who was visiting at the time) how important colostrum is, one thing lead to another, my husband and brother dared each other to drink a shot of it. I don't think they want anymore.lol

Thank you all or the cuteness compliments, I'm so grateful to have people to share the little things that make me so happy :0) Kitten and Momma are doing well and such a joy!

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9219416

Josephine, I do have a recipe for cow's colostrum, called uunijuusto, a Finnish fresh cheese made with sugar and cinnamon. I may have to give it a try. Thank you!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9219566

Congrats, Cocoa. Thank you for sharing such a precious story with us. I really miss the farm.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9219608

Thank you, Cam. For what is worth I really miss the city sometimes :0)

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9219663

Lynea, I am glad you can make out of cow's milk, I bet it will be delicious.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9219954

Sounds like cottage cheese with cinnamon and sugar! yummm, that's a childhood memory! Good for you on the hormone care! I was worried about ya gettin hurt.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

July 29, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9222704

My goodness what a learning thread! I thought my visits to my grandparents as a kid in the summer were fruitful.I dont remember any animals but Hogs. I remember my granny going to milk some cows for someone to get butter or to make butter. My grandparents were sharecroppers I think. they seem to grow everything Cotton, tobacco, corn, watermelon and a multitude of vegetables! Oh yeah, they had chickens.
Lynea how did you get into all this being from the city? I cant wait to get out there near you.lol
Kitt, I was planning or Linda was planning on me moving to Magnolia on a piece of her property. I decided its not the best place to grow Hostas. I did plant some there, there but they forget to check them. Anyway I wanted to raise a couple of Pygmy goats, Linda wanted me to invest in the goats first so they could clear the land, ain't she a piece of work! LOL
I still want the goats. :)

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9222786

Pygmies are harder to keep happy, they get out so well, loved my little blac n tan Nubian- until ex' s Rotts ripped her throat out, she was a very sweet baby, goats eat what deer eat, plus your gardens when you aren't looking, chuckl, and mine always craved company and needed really tall places to climb to stand- they were afraid of anything half their size.
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9222792

How awful to hear about your pygmy's demise...guess that may have been a factor in the "ex"
Cocoa, congrats on the baby! I guess the father is black?
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9223663

Sylvia, I grew up in the country and moved to the city in my teens. My mothers generation seemed to work hard to get away from farming and ranching. Why bother with all the hard work when there was such a great selection of TV diners at the grocery store.lol She did get back into raising sheep and goats after I was grown. All I can remember was how much trouble those were to her. But the sheep alone were over 300 head, that's a lot of care! I like my two dairy cows, much more zen attitudes then sheep or goats...goats are so comical! You'll need really, really good fencing for goats and remember they have no defenses against wild or domestic predators.

Anna, we *think the daddy is Brangus. There was an overlap in time in which she was exposed to a Brangus and an Angus bull. Signs are leading us to believe the Brangus was the victor :0)

My BIL and SIL spent the weekend with us. Since Brangus is a Brahma cross. Brahma being the Hindu sacred cow. My SIL speaks Hindi and said "Kitten" in Hindi is Billi (pronounced Billy). So now we've been calling the calf Billi Kitten...I'm sure her name is work itself out as her personality grows :0)

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9223983

Your cow appears to be a Jersey/Guernsey cross, the calf does look somewhat less Angus than Brangus, she will lighten up Just a little bit by2 yrs old, do lots of handling- those Angus can get a temper...
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

July 30, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9224445

I have heard of Billy goats. :)

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2012
3:56 AM

Post #9224498

Billy goats and I do not get along, they seem to think I am a sparring partner, I always thought it was because my horoscope sign is the Ram (excuse, excuse). Knock heads with every one I ever met, but the females are sweet tempered usually.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America