Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cameras and Photography: Picasa problem

Communities > Forums > Cameras and Photography
bookmark
Forum: Cameras and PhotographyReplies: 14, Views: 118
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9217736

When I want to download photos, I can see them on the screen as they're being imported, but then a sign comes up that says:

"An error has incurred while attempting to import. Either the source is unavailable or the destination is full read only"

How do I correct this? Thanks.
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9219065

This may not be the solution you want, but you could just ditch Picasa and buy a Photoshop Elements. I did exactly that after wasting my time with Picasa. I've never regretted the purchase.
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9219107

Importing pictures into your computer does not require any software. You should be doing it manually. Less issues that way.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9219139

Thanks, Bob. I'll think about it.

Gasrocks - thanks for your help. How would I do that?
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9219239

Simple. Plug your card reader into the USB port or put your card into the slots on your computer. You should not be plugging your camera into the computer. Ignore and/or stop any software from taking over at this point. You can go to Preferences of that software and tell it not to load your pix. Your card will appear as a new drive (My Computer), open that, click on a few folders (DCIM is a common one) and you are looking at your pix. Control A (select all) and cut to the place you put your new pix. A dedicated folder for that is best. Trouble with letting any software do this task is it may not load all pix, it may create duplicates, it may put them in different places. You need to be organized and the best place ot start is at the beginning.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9220194

While it may be simple for you, gasrocks, it's not easy for an old lady like me. Thank you for trying to help.

Picasa is working again so I'll stay with it.

I do appreciate all the help. Thanks!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

December 11, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9355606

gasrocks, I was wondering why we shouldn't plug our camera directly to the computer? I've done that several times not really thinking about it. I use Picasa also. Used to put the card in, then my grandkids said, just put this into your computer, so that is why I starting connecting the camera directly into the computer. Does it do something to the camera?

pirl, I am like you, struggling all the time with the changes that come along.. thank you for asking questions regarding Picasa.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 11, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9355767

The secret seems to be in having the latest version of Picasa. Now it's 3.9 though on the screen, after loading the program, it reads "3" but it really is 3.9.

Gourd - it's enough with changes and Windows 8 now but this new computer is a touch screen. I was made for the mouse, not touch screen.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

December 15, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9359141

pirl, it really does work well the way gasrocks told you. I did that with all my photos of Mexico from last month. Made a folder "Mexico photos" and imported them all. There...all done, just like that. And I am an old lady too.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9359224

I will look into a card reader but it does mean taking the card out of the camera each time I want to download, right? If so it would be very inconvenient for me when I often take 200 to 300 photos a day during many days in June when lilies, Japanese irises, poppies, astilbes and more are in bloom. I take them from dawn to dusk and download each time so I can be sure I get good photos.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

December 15, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9359467

pirl, it is easier to whip out the card, stick it in the card reader, and away you go. Easier than hooking up the camera. At least *I* think so. LOL
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9359485

With the camera it's just plugging it in. Can't take three seconds.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2012
11:30 PM

Post #9359563

One caution. It is easy to forget the card is in the reader. I always use a reader since it is much faster to download. I usually take around 1000 images on a 4 or 5 hour outing, so the speed of download is important to me. I use a FireWire connection and the fastest FireWire reader that SanDisk makes.

But, I have driven over an hour to a nearby park only to find that the camera had no card in it. Now, I have several cards. One stays in my camera bag and one stays in the card reader. When I take a card out of my camera, I immediately put the one in the reader into the camera and format it, ready to go for the next shoot.

I use 32 gig SanDisk cards and have filled the card a few times, so having that extra in my cam bag is good insurance.

Patti
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9359693

I give private lessons in photography. Had one student drive 50 miles to get here with their new camera. They had left the battery at home in the wall charger. Sigh. One of the first menu settings I change with a new canera is the one where you decide if you want the camera to work when there is no card in it (most, new, out of the box will do that.) Now, if you try to take a pix, it won't and big flashing NO CARD comes up. So, before going on any pix outing, take a shot before you get into the car.

Don't puit all your eggs into one basket. Do not have just one big card. Mix it up. I have a total of twenty cards, 336 GB total. I often shoot a lot of pix.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9359699

You're right. It pays to have extra cards (or at least one extra) and spare battery back-up.

I know how you felt when you left your card at home. I did that once in a different context. I wanted to vacuum the living room but left the vacuum cleaner in the mud room. Oh well, maybe someday I'll remember to bring it with me. (Go ahead and laugh!)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America