Photo by Melody

Article: Lantana--colorful, easy annual, or weedy menace?: Nice article

Communities > Forums > Article: Lantana--colorful, easy annual, or weedy menace?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Lantana--colorful, easy annual, or weedy menace?Replies: 8, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9217797

Many years ago when living in Tucson, I found Lantana was invaluable for providing some cheery color without requiring much water, and didn't find it invasive there.

I never thought of using it as an annual here in New England, but I may give it a try next year. Thanks for the hint, Carrie!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9217944

I loved it as an annual in New England! We would have had it every year exceptt for my husband's unfortunate sensitivity. Still I'm glad I didn't know about the invasiveness and toxicity back then.

It's always good to hear from you Don.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9218342

Loved reading your article. I found it to be very informative (didn't know berries were poisonous to 4 & 2 leggeds), and have found it to be an easy to grow, drought resistant plant. Started planting more varieties when I started my B.fly garden. They are a real draw to the B.flies, and pretty to look at.
The scent is distinctive and I find it neither offensive or pleasant. It's just the way they smell.
Even in my garden they do need watering, otherwise they die, but they are well mannered plants and worth watering for their flowers and their ability to feed both B.flies and Birds.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge about the Lantana. : - )
Walk In Beauty~
SingingWolf

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9218440

Thank you, Singing Wolf, for sharing your experience with us. I was reading what you said about the berries being poisonous to "to 4 & 2 leggeds" and I thought to myself "didn't I say they weren't toxic to birds? Then I realized what you were talking about!

I'm glad you enjoyed it.
stellamarina
Laie, HI

July 27, 2012
12:46 AM

Post #9220086

Good article and beautiful photos. I must admit to being a fan of Lantana even though it can be a problem here in Hawaii. The flowers look like minature bridesmaids posies and I like the smell. Mostly, I like that they will grow in hot, sandy areas of my garden where other plants struggle. A few years ago I spent some time in Egypt and I noticed that they used the Lantana a lot there for public gardens. Just shows how much they will tolerate heat and sand.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9220365

Did you click to get the picture of Lantana grown crazy on HI? Let me see if I can find it for you--hang on.

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/invweed/WeedsHI/W_Lantana_camara.pdf

I have no idea what this is a picture of!

Lantana was used ornamentally in Egypt 200 years ago...now they use it whether or not they want to. They don't need to coddle it or anything like that.

Oh, I found the picture I was looking for; it's the 2nd picture below.

I love the appearance of Lantana's flowers also! Thank you for your comment, Stellamarina--it's nice to hear from readers all over. I never thought of bridesmaid's bouquets before, but why not, it makes sense!

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Click the image for an enlarged view.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9220369

Sorry, forgot the picrure I was meaning to send!

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gardendmpls
Far Rockaway, NY

July 30, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9223364

Lantana takes me back to when I was a little girl, in the 1950's in Corpus Christi, Texas. There was a huge lantana bush growing in the back alleyway. We used its flowers as bridal bouquets for our dolls. I was surprised, last year, to see it being sold in the big box stores here in New York. It did not do too well in the garden as I didn't realize it needed a lot more watering. I'll try again next year.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9223823

Thank you for your comment--you are the second person to mention using Lantana as bouquets for dolls! Wow--I guess my only wedding doll play was paper dolls with paper bouquets. But Texas certainly is the right climate for Lantana. Growing Lantana in the North East just somehow isn't the same. My research did show that it should respond well to fertilizer and water, although not necessary if lots of sun are present. Good luck, and thanks again for your comment!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Lantana--colorful, easy annual, or weedy menace? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
We love Lantana here in Texas. frostweed 3 Jul 30, 2012 1:05 PM
Lantana is a Noxious weed in Australia Gabi65 1 Jul 30, 2012 12:41 PM
Lantana has a wider range than we know Gardeningman 1 Jul 30, 2012 12:36 PM
lantana in missouri dordee 5 Aug 6, 2012 6:09 PM
Lantana camara ARWadoo 7 Jun 20, 2013 8:47 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America