SUNRISE AND SUNSET No. 11

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Like opening a new box of crayons....we have a new place to post pretty pictures. We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1246056/

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hah, opening a new box of crayons... that's one complex drawing with crayons, Jean. Thanks for the new thread. I'm heading out to the garden hoping to catch something interesting as the sun set in a bit...

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Hey Jean, great start. I love that shot. Thanks for starting it.
This poor little tree survived the clear cutting done on this patch of land. I needed to do it justice with a sunset background.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

My pleasure...and Thanks. That is sunrise at Kata Tjuta national park....the home of Australia's Uluru (Ayer's Rock) It is a fascinating place. In the hottest part of summer, the rock holds so much heat that it can be seen from space at night....it is a Sacred place for the Aboriginal People of Australia.

I agree, that little tree deserves a bit of special treatment.

http://www.environment.gov.au/parks/uluru/

It has these really old stone painted stories on the walls

This message was edited Jul 26, 2012 10:24 AM

Thumbnail by themoonhowl Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Very interesting site and history Jean. I will take time to examine it further.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Jean, thanks for the new thread. Very interesting stone and site. Were you there on vacation? I'm glad you had rain, we would sure need some too.
Thanks everyone for the good words. My DD and Nicholas seem to be OK, so all is good.
Great pics everyone, lovely sunsets.
I have a sunrise, but will post it later from home. I'm at the office now and catching up. It's so hot here I need to water everyday, but the garden is fine, tomatoes are ripening.
Here are some pics with Nicholas in the garden from last week. He loved the cherry tomatoes !
And more here :

https://picasaweb.google.com/104386080983966169167/20120724?authkey=Gv1sRgCKzO6NPDxviUkwE#

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti Thumbnail by adinamiti Thumbnail by adinamiti Thumbnail by adinamiti Thumbnail by adinamiti

Hi Adina. Yes, we were in Au visiting our daughter and SIL. That was back in 2007...GS was almost 2 y/o then. Like any Grandma I have a ton of pics of him from that trip.

I would say Nicholas is going to be quite the gardener with all the good training and fun he is having....he is such a cutie.

It is truly fascinating to me Burn....I consider it an old Modern wonder....grin I got to watch the sunrise over it and understand why it holds such power for the Aborigines...they say it hold souls...etc...and the crags and holes make faces as the light hits them...truly an experience.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Perth, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Couple of sunset sky shots from back window in Scotland, on a rare night it wasn't raining!

Thumbnail by DMersh Thumbnail by DMersh

Wow...great color. I love the sweeping bands of clouds.

PERTH, Australia

My God, what fabulous shots.

Adina, how fast Nicholas is growing. He's no longer a baby, is he?

I hope everyone is coping with the heat.

Moon, lucky you to have seen Uluru. I never have, but promise myself a few days there within the next couple of years. Did you see the Olgas?

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Ha there she is, I was wondering where Margaret had gone.
Adina, that sweet darling of a GS of your is huggable.
That Rock is certainly amazing, must have a lot of stories to tell, So neat that it shows faces when the light hits it. I would love to see all the wonders of the world, including this one.
Awesome colors in those shot DMersh.

A far and close shot of a sunset, I wanted to bring out the outline of the clouds

Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007

I love the way the sun "picotees" the clouds, Burn. Lovely.

Yes Margaret, we took the Valley of the Winds walk through the Olgas, the same day we walked all the way around Uluru (9.4k) almost 6 miles. We were a tired and hungry crew after our adventure, and everyone of us had a "rosy" glow....we were covered in fine red dust....grin

http://en.travelnt.com/explore/uluru-kata-tjuta/kata-tjuta.aspx

Thumbnail by themoonhowl Thumbnail by themoonhowl Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Moon I remember seeing a documentary on Ayer's rock awhile back on TV.

Adina, nice to see Nicholas getting long legs and boyish looking, and a nice crop of cherry tomatoes you have. Good he likes to eat them too.

DMersh, those are wonderful! Nice you had a chance to see a great sunset and I must say one heck of a fantastic sunset.

Burn pretty shots of the sherbet sky, like the lining along the clouds.

It is a really interesting place, Sherrie. Kinda spooky in the dark....grin

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Very nice pics. interesting places Jean. I have no photo to share, but still watching and enjoying yours.

Great pics everyone!
Jean thanks for sharing those pics, so impressive! And your grandson is so adorable!
Dmersh, awesome sunset!
Bernadette, lovely sunset too!
Margaret good to hear from you!
Hey, Sherri and Kim!
Here's the promissed sunrise. I am on vacation...or should i say staycation...LOL..so I will have more time to take pictures!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti Thumbnail by adinamiti Thumbnail by adinamiti Thumbnail by adinamiti

Thanks y'all. I would love to have either end of the sun to post, but, hazy mornings and cloudy evenings preclude that.

Adina, glad you have some time off. Will Nicholas be coming to visit Grandma while you are on Stay-kay? Pretty blues and oranges in that sunrise.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Cool pics, cool places, like world wide.
from the Midwest -

Thumbnail by jmorth Thumbnail by jmorth

Hi J. Great pics...I love how the sunbeam streaks across the front of the clouds...and I am a sucker for orange and blue sunsets....grin. seen any good music lately?

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

1st of July, 3 days and nights of blues along the Mississippi R. at the Quad Cities. Coco Montoya, Guitar Shorty, and Kenny Neil amongst others.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2012 6:30 PM

Oh how cool. That is Davenport, Bettendorf, Moline and Rock Island? I know you had a grand time. Love Coco Montoya...

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Correct. Concerts are at Riverside Park in Davenport. Yearly affair. Always visit botanic gardens in Davenport (Van der Meer) and the Quad Cities Botanical Garden in Rock Island when there.
How about yourself?

BluesFest in Baton Rouge and EarthDay in BR back in April, but no chance to play since then. They were both great shows. Royal Southern Brotherhood (Greg Allman's oldest son, Devan and Cyril Neville and friends) and Lightnin' Malcolm were my favorite "new" groups...Johnny Winter was phenomenal as one would expect.

Sounds like a great venue...good music and botanical gardens...scratch a couple itches at the same time.

Devan and Cyril, Lightnin Malcolm, Johnny Winter

I am so excited....for the first time in quite a while, we had a visible sunset....not swallowed by storm clouds. No super saturated colors, but the 3rd pic reminds me of dolphins playing....flights of fancy....grin

This message was edited Aug 3, 2012 11:20 AM

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Congrats on getting some sunset shots,Jean!!! I can see your playing Dolphins! Great shots.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2012 11:09 PM

Thanks Burn....now I am ready for it to rain again...LOL

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

yesterday

Thumbnail by jmorth
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Nice color in your sky Jmorth.

I got a few shots a few days ago.

Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nice pics. of the Dolphins cloud Jean, Burnadette and J. Such beautiful blue, blue sky photos. J. How did your Gloriosa lilies turn out this year? It's nice to 'find' you here.

Few day past sunset;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Nice colors and the scenes are so serene...and Kim....that bit of cloud on the right looks like a giant sunbird's head...

Yeah, J, I always think of you when someone mentions Gloriosa lilies. Hope the crazy weather didn't cause problems.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Gloriosas are well, thankyou. I think there's 15 large to very large containers this year. I've noted more buds heat-blasted than ever before but overall they've done well and continue to do so.

Aww thanks for sharing, J. They are as beautiful as I remembered.

And, while it isn't as pretty as the lilies, here's a little Happy Birthday Goodie for ya...

Happy Birthday J

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh Jean, that's the most "fun" cake there is!!! Happy birthday to you J. The lilies are just as beautiful, fine fine job! Oh Jean what's a sunbird please. I saw the cloud but couldn't tide it with any image. lol

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Lily and Moon. That's a colorful cake there.
Sunrise on the 9th and clouds at sunset.

The sun bird is a Phoenix, Kim. It is found in folklore of a number of cultures...a bird that rises from its own ashes, but my favorite reference is a poem by Ogden Nash

The Phoenix

Deep in the study
Of eugenics
We find that fabled
Fowl, the Phoenix.
The wisest bird
As ever was,
Rejecting other
Mas and Pas,
It lays one egg,
Not ten or twelve,
And when it's hatched it,
Out pops itself.

Yes, I will admit that is a very busy cake...and not likely to go unnoticed...but then, neither should birthdays go unnoticed...GRIN

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Jean, thank you. Yes the legend of the Phoenix bird ... and love the poem too. Thanks. Did you know; On some far away land, birthdays are celebrated among the lunar moon calendar New Year day? That means a child that was born on Dec. 31st, will be TWO years of "age" by the 1st of the Lunar New-Year day!!! Poor baby! LOL

Missed sunrise and set; things have really been busy, busy here. So there is this "sun flower" for everyone. (a Brugmansia flower agaisnt the misty sky). ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love

I did know that that was how they "aged" thoroughbred horses for racing, but not aware that was also used for babies....thanks for that.

Pretty Brug...I do like the yellow ones.

Happy Belated Birthday, jmorth! Beautiful gloriosa you got there!
Jean, lovely dolphins! Nicholas has come home for good....again! Andreea left her BF apparently for the last time. She has finally realized what we've been telling her for months,, that he is a jerk. She has a job here in the village now so we hope everything will be OK.
Bernadette and Kim, love your skies!
We finally had rain last night, with lots of thunders and lightnings,, yeaaaah! This is another sunrise from 2 days ago when it was still hot.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti Thumbnail by adinamiti Thumbnail by adinamiti Thumbnail by adinamiti Thumbnail by adinamiti

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.