Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vegetable Gardening: GREEN AND ORANGE FLESHED CANTALOUPES?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

July 25, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9217962

Has anyone else experienced ripe, delicious, cantaloupe with up to half of the flesh bright green, and the rest orange?
Nursery plants, labeled Hales Best, normal appearance on the outside, but 40% green on one half and normal orange on the balance. Taste and texture of green and orange is identical, and very good.
Orange portion on the bottom side next to ground and green on the top side.
Green portion same color as the usual green rim next to rind.

Ernie

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9218071

Ernie - I haven't seen anything like you describe, but I have noticed the "Tasty Bites" melons were not as deep an orange as they usually are. And, the area between the rind and the orange part was thicker and pale green. I figured it was caused either by the heat, or the seeds. They taste wonderful, and that's all that matters.

I've had some volunteer melons that tasted like pure sugar. Always a nice surprise when volunteers turn out to be worth the trouble of growing them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America