Friend or Foe?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Saw this this morning behind our AC unit. It kinda looks like a Turk's Cap, but I'm not really sure. If it's a keeper, it'll have to be moved.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

That looks like a mustang grapevine, Vitis mustangensis. In time, it is know to smother large trees by growing up into the canopy. You really don't want anything growing near your AC unit because it will restrict air flow.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

It looks like a young mulberry to me, I am not familiar with grape vines, but either way you don't want it there.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Okay, it's coming out! Thanks!

Fulshear, TX(Zone 9b)

Here is a photo of some of my Mustang grapes so you can compare. I agree, take it out if it's close to your a/c!

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Leaves on mustang grapes can vary. sometimes the leaves are split into lobes much like an oak leaf.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I am going with Mulberry as well.
They get big fast and produce tons of yummy fruit.
However, the fruit stains so it is good for a field rather than close to a house.
Maybe transplant in the winter.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Whatever it is is coming out this weekend!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Mulberry here too, almost have as many of those as I do the hackberry seedlings!

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Unfortunately, not all Mulberrys are fruiting. I'm with you, Stephanie, pull it out.

Carla

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Luckily, almost all Mulberries are extremely easy to graft. I had someone who had never grafted before do three this year with 100 percent success. They have grown over 10 feet in five months from a 3 inch branch. You can order Mulberry branches "scions" in the winter and graft any variety you want on the seedling. Even the white tasty non-staining variety.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

That is good to know Jujube.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.