Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Insect and Spider Identification: I keep finding these little brown bugs in my apartment

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ASondhi
New York, NY

July 25, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9218361

They are brown and can fly, for at least a short time. They also curl up into a ball when touched.

I have also found their larva all over the apartment.

What are they, where do they usually come from, and how do I get rid of them?

I had some dried flowers that I just threw out because I thought that it may have been their source. I also just purchased a royal palm plant.

Suggestions?

Thumbnail by ASondhi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

July 25, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9218452

Image too small and fuzzy for a good i.d. - on the chance that it could be a pantry pest like a drugstore or cigarette beetle, check dry stored products (flour, pasta, mixes, spices, pet food, etc.) for signs of infestation.
ASondhi
New York, NY

July 26, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9219227

Here is another picture to help identify this bug.

Thumbnail by ASondhi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

July 26, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9219354

Looks like a cigarette beetle. See http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2083.html for control recommendations.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America