Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Lantana--colorful, easy annual, or weedy menace?: We love Lantana here in Texas.

Communities > Forums > Article: Lantana--colorful, easy annual, or weedy menace?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Lantana--colorful, easy annual, or weedy menace?Replies: 3, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9218449

Thank you for the article Carrie, it is very nice.
Here in North Central Texas we rely on Lantana urticoides to provide us with care free easy blooms, for butterflies and berries for the birds, and of course it is a perennial and not invasive here.
Josephine.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9218461

Thanks for your comment, Josephine, and for your photograph, too! I counted on your PlantFiles testimony in particular when evaluating Lantana in Texas. The written literature is not 100% in agreement as to whether it is native to Texas or introduced from South/Central America, but there were a few convincing folks like you and a wildflower guy (whose website I couldn't re-locate) and of course the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center who were quite calm but resolute that L. urticoides is a Texas native. It's always good to hear from people who REALLY know what I claim to be talking about, heh heh.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9223727

Here in Houston and in some other areas, Lantana lacebug is a real pest for lantana. It is very difficult to control without using drenches which most of us are afraid will affect the bees and butterflies which so love its nectar. Instead, I just cut mine back to the ground every July 1st to get rid of the unsightly black and distorted blooms. The lace bug also carries the virus, witches broom, which makes the lantana foliage look like an alien species. Thanks for your article. I have the old fashioned Pink/Yellow version, the Dallas Red, and two of the trailiing ones, yellow and lavender. I have several of the Pink/Yellow versions as they are so reliable in this Texas heat.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2012 5:09 PM

Thumbnail by steadycam3
Click the image for an enlarged view.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9223826

Someone asked me to crochet a pink and yellow scarf for her in maybe 1981 and I thought "how hideous, bright pink and bright yellow together." Now I love the combination. Just goes to show you.

I'm sure the Biological Control People are all over your lacebug and virus combination--they are really working hard to rid the rest of the world of unwanted Lantana. Thank you so much for your educational comment; I was not aware that there was a pathogen in Texas. Happy Gardening!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Lantana--colorful, easy annual, or weedy menace? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice article DonShirer 8 Jul 30, 2012 12:57 PM
Lantana is a Noxious weed in Australia Gabi65 1 Jul 30, 2012 12:41 PM
Lantana has a wider range than we know Gardeningman 1 Jul 30, 2012 12:36 PM
lantana in missouri dordee 5 Aug 6, 2012 6:09 PM
Lantana camara ARWadoo 7 Jun 20, 2013 8:47 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America