Merino
Australia

July 25, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9218536

Here we are moved again
we came form here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268647/#top

I am thinking spring thoughts now so enjoy the walk under the cherry blossoms.
Its cold and wet in the real world here . Very windy during the night. I will not be doing anything outside today.
There are bright yellow daffies popping out all over the garden which gives it a happy look.

I am going to sit near the heater again with my book and enjoy a good read.
My shoulder is feeling much better because I have been careful in what I do.

I hope all those with any pain are feeling better soon.
Take care and stay safe.
I think maybe I'll take a virtual walk and enjoy the blossoms before I settle with my book.
Happy day .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 25, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9218610

Good morning everyone. I'm getting better everyday. Slowly, slowly. The sun is shining here this morning and looks like a lovely day ahead. Might grab a book and sit in the sun. Everyone have a great day. Colleen
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 26, 2012
1:15 AM

Post #9219002

I wonder if Copper decided to give himself a birthday treat since I forgot all about the date yesterday.
It his 14th birthday & for an old dog he can move pretty fast!
One thing about the new curtains & carpet is that the house is warmer & with it going down to -2C in the morning we are grateful for that.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9219332

We did get a really wet thunderstorm here last night that cut the temperature, a bit more comfortable now. The humid air has been so heavy seems like you could cut it with a pastry knife. It's been so hot even my cacti are in bloom.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 26, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9219435

The magnolias are in flower here, even the "Merrill'', moon...it must have been in a good mood.

Colleen, good to see that you are improving, it's a slow process isn't it.
Anthony, my Green 'n' Gold daffies are in flower...I need to feed them up for next year, the flower is a bit small...any suggestions?
A belated birthday wish for Copper, Teresa...glad that things are back to normal for you.

Can't stand high humidity, Al...hope it stays cool for a while for you...
Chookie the Palace looks great, has the gentleman (rooster) arrived yet?

Pretty walk, Jean...a bit too cold to stroll along there yet...
Here's a Vireya that loves this weather..
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9219582

Tomato Pie
1 pre made or home made pie crust
˝ sweet onion, sliced
3-4 tomatoes cored and sliced
1 cup mayonnaise
1 c. cheddar cheese
1tsp. Italian herbs
1 cup shredded mozzarella
Salt and Pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Put crust in plant
Arrange onion in bottom of plate from edge to center.
Tomatoes are placed in same way. Completely covering bottom of plate.
Salt and pepper
Combine May, cheddar cheese and seasoning in small bowl…
Mix well and spoon over tomatoes to within 1 inch from edge of pie crust.
(This is pretty thick, I ended up putting it on by hand) You want to see edge of tomatoes.
Layer Mozzarella over top of all to edge.
I baked it for 30 min at 350 degrees….

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9219676

Maybe the Merrill just needed a little encouragement, Dianne...grin I almost envy you guys stepping into spring...such a lovey time in the garden.

Thanks for the recipe Charleen...sure looked tasty. Only thing we would change would be Plain yoghurt for the Mayo...DH is "allergic" (his words) to mayo.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 26, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9219705

Good morning everyone.
B**** freezing here again. Yesterday was wet all day and today is looking like more of the same.
It is winter , so I should be used to it.
I just hate being cold all the time even if the garden needs a bit of hibernation.
Perhaps humans should hibernate too...lol

Hello Dianne, go for that walk. Remember its always beautiful weather at the Tea Room.
I love seeing all the blossom in spring. I would really like to see all the cherry blossom in China and Japan.

Charleen, your recipe sounds delicious.
I havent had an oven for years but may try it in my small toaster oven which does a good job with baking.
I hardly ever used the large oven when it was working.
I am a microwave and grill fan.
We have a kitchen of gadgets. Microwave, toaster oven , slow cooker, rice cooker, electric frypan.
My two favorites , the wok and my George Foreman grill.

Hello Sue, Colleen, Karen, Teresa and Anthony.

Dianne, I hope you are keeping warm there. Hubbys friend always says its warmer near the ocean.

Al, very pretty cacti.
I could send you some cold weather but I am sure you get enough of your own in winter.

I am off outside to get a bit of trimming done along the paths. ( I can do it one handed as the shoulder is still very painful )
My feet get very wet when all the plants are reaching out to hug me with wet arms.
I want to get it done before the rain gets here again.

I hope you are all feeling so much better and enjoying your gardens.

Here something delicious for morning tea... Apple and Blueberry Shortcake.

Stay safe everyone .
jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 26, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9219774

That recipe looks as good as the picture, Charleen. Have copied it out and will make it up over the weekend. Thank you.

Hello everyone. In a bit of a rush as I overslept again this morning. Just too cold to get out of bed these mornings. Looks nice outside though.

Happy days.
Karen
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

July 26, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9219785

Hi Everyone,Almost got lost again .

Yes Dianne the rooster and two little friends arrived yesterday - poor thing has been living alone in a tiny shed with no light, no green and no sun, and even the hens which were separated from him ( they didn't want the "hassle' of chickens!!!) were kept in a no sun shed poor things.
I am keeping them in the shed for a few days until they relax a bit- they haven't been handled at all and are very flighty. The two hens appear to be bantams but crosses Langshan maybe? - maybe from the rooster.One is black and one has a nice speckled collar of red brown on her black feathers.Have to name them all now.Poor rooster lost his tail feathers when the man tried to grab him by it ( duh!) but they will grow back in Spring I think. No pics yet as it was late when I settled them in- will wait until they are used to me a bit. The pen will look heaps nicer when I paint it but will wait for Spring and better weather for that.

Al, you suspect right - we are not allowed to import seeds that are on a no import list from customs - they are very strict and it is not worth the risk of a hefty fine.I know some do it, but I find it not worth the risk either in fines or to our ecology here, as we have we have about 200+ tomato varieties available here in Australia through various local seed catalog /companies anyway. Collectors can get permits to import if they go to the trouble of filling out a million forms .LOL
Diggers Seeds have a huge list of heritage tomatoes.

Today is so grey overcast and wet it looks like an inside day with the catalogs today. Will plan my Spring plantings I think. I did harvest some onions, broccoli and new potatoes for dinner last night. Broad beans are in full flower - no beans yet though.I do eat the tops in stir frys once they are in flower.It pushes the beans along to pinch out the tops and they are quite edible.

I had a disaster with my new mandarin tree too - was putting up a trellis to grow a vine over and when I went to get the hammer it fell on the little mandarin and broke the main branch at the graft- I have taped it up and added some rooting compound to help it heal itself, so am crossing my fingers it survives. I am mad at myself though.

Still have to plant another peach and an orange then I think I have all my main fruit trees.I did plant two peaches last year but neither survived - their roots had been cut back too hard at the nursery I think.Of course they deny that, but when I pulled one up it hadn't any feeder roots at all just the cut short main ones that hadn't grown at all, and the other fruit trees I brought at the same time took well.

Wishing everyone a good weekend doing some nice things in Nature's garden.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 26, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9220013

Dianne, I lifted all my daffs this year and repotted them in about april,.,.even the miniatures are going great guns,.,all i used was the 'Brunnings NPK mix and a top dress with sheep manure,.,.I know some of the X-treme daffodillers here, make up a mix with about a dozen ingredients,.,.none are too keen to share the recipe!!!-Anthony

Thumbnail by g_whizz

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 27, 2012
2:57 AM

Post #9220110

Thanks Anthony, I'll repot them all in Autumn as you did...

Nice looking pie Charleen...have to try that..
You might be right moon, I encouraged it alright, by planting 2 Weigela next to it, so it was either grow or smother...it grew..lol
That poor dear rooster, Sue...he has no idea what a great home he has come to...

I took the walk, Jean and feel much better for it...be very careful with that shoulder, I think that Ray has pulled a tendon in his...
bless him, I'll be hearing about this for a while now... :-)
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 27, 2012
3:52 AM

Post #9220132

I just hope the daffs, come in on song for the show,..,.Ive got a lot of miniatures here.,it would be good to get back into the winners [novice] circle,.,.,.,I went out for a counter meal today[first in about 5 yrs],as i had a day off work,.,.also got a haircut, got the groceries and visited the "moonah-Island Market''-picked up another baby green bottle[for mini daffs],.,,.some nice radishes from the Hmongers and a bunch of baby silver beet for the 3 birds,.,.Now!!-what am i going to do tomorrow?-Anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9220380

Serendipty
is name of this Brug. Don't you love the color????
already 86 degrees supposed to get to 95. I don't doubt it at all...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 27, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9220743

Good morning everyone.. We are still in winter here. I guess not enough daffodils are out yet to convince it to go away.
There is a baby magpie in one of the nests and the poor thing must wonder why the mother ever laid the egg while its so cold.

Anthony, I can see you are going to b every busy getting the daffs to flower at the right time for the shows.
Sounds like you had a busy day.

Sue, I hope your little mandarin recovers . Isnt it nice to have fresh fruit in the yard.
I wish hubby had put in more years ago.
We have apples, but none worth eating.
I usually pig out on nectarines and blood plums. The birds get the grapes.

Dianne, I hope Ray gets better quickly. Your garden is looking as beautiful as ever.

Karen, hope you have a lovely weekend up there.

Charleen, that is a beautiful brug, I love the upcurled corolla.
Give Charley a hug for me.

Hello Al, Colleen, Teresa and everyone else looking in

I have left you all a nice treat in the kitchen... Devils Food Cake

I am off to read my book near the heater,
Its no place for me to be outside ...brrrrrrrrrrr

Keep warm and safe
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 27, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9220761

Good morning everyone. Grey and overcast here. We had a lovely lot of rain yesterday afternoon. My tank must be full by now. I will have to start using some of the water now. Not looking forward to my power bill this time. I've had the A/C going almost all the time for the last 3 weeks. Not being able to do much doesn't keep you warm. The headmaster from the boy's school sent the Pastrol Care Worker to see me yesterday to see if they can do anything for me. I said that I could do with some help in the garden, getting the fruit trees pruned especially, so now they are going to send their yardsman down to see if he can help. I am so grateful. My sister is coming up next week so she will be able to keep the house going for me and stock the pantry up again. Hopefully it doesn't last too much longer. Spring is coming. Everyone have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

July 27, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9220951

Good morning everyone.
My first daff is out and looking good.
Colleen good to hear you will have some more help , I know the pruning must have been worrying you and to get someone who knows gardening is a great bonus. Good news and hope it is soon even better with you up and fossicking again.
yes Jean my foofd garden s coming on well ,I harvested a good years supply of almonds before thew birds go thtem and the nectarine is a really heavy bearer as are the two apples and pear. The apricot is young but gave me apricots (just a few) for the first time so this year may be more. lemons are ripening and the cumquat still has fruit on it too.Frost bit the Jostaberry hard so am hoping Spring will see it reshoot. I have Loganberry and Boysenberry to palnt once I get the chookyard garden dug and set out too. I still have figs in the freezer from the fig tree and am wondering why I planted cuttings now- don't need more at all. The two blood plums are young yet but in a year or so will be harvesting them too. If you want to sell your blood plums I have a friend in Heywood who is looking for them .You may even know her as she does the Hamilton and Portland markets with her jams and cakes.She told me last week that her plum jam is running out the door and my trees are not ready for her yet. Let me know if you have excess next season and I will pass it on.
I will certainly let you know when I come up your way - would be lovely to talk gardening with you face to face.

Rain is just pouring down now and my tanks are all overflowing - I hate wasting water but have nowhere to put it now the tanks are full. Boom or bust -that's Australia huh?

Lulu is happy with her friends and ELJAY and Dolly are now named hens, and the rooster is Lord Jim. I will try and find one more hen to be a good mother and sit on eggs but will just wait until I find the right 'Lady" for his Lordship.
Did have an oops yesterday when the one egg was broken but the shell was really fragile and weak so I hope it is not an egg eater and just a mishap - have added lots of calcium shellgrit to their feed to strengthen the eggshells.
Lord Jim's feathers are the most glorious black shot with mettallic green with a speckled brown ruff around his neck - definitely Lordly material, and little Dolly has the same black iridescent green feathers - Eljay has a more brown speckled on black coat.

This is an early painting I did of my old chooks a few years back - well about 10 now I think.LOL

Thumbnail by chookie2

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 28, 2012
2:28 AM

Post #9221114

Beautiful scattered rain here too[my god we need it]-but unfortunately, it has brought in an extreme cold front,.,.,Its freezing!!!!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9221379

Happy Weekend All! - We're off to visit Grandkids today and fly kites at a local NY State park. Weather has been rainy, but seems to be letting up a bit by afternoon with sun expected. Garden is growing like a jungle around here.

I'm growing six pails like these this year, tomatoes are Tumbler (cherry) and Super Bush (normal). Both are dwarf varieties and doing well so far in the 5 gal buckets. I've eaten some of the early Tumblers, lots of greenies on the other.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 28, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9221690

Good morning everyone.
No rain as yet this morning , but very cold.
I am getting lazier & lazier doing nothing because of both the rain and my darn shoulder.
I will end up looking like a big old hippo.
Roll on summer so one can get rid of the winter wrinkles.

Al, I hope you all enjoy the day.
Flying kites is something so many seem to enjoy.
Hope the weather is kind for you.
I like your tomato plants . Lovely & healthy.
I am looking forward to getting mine going.
Its the first time I have ever used the hanging bags to grow anything.

Glad you had some rain Anthony.
Yes , its a shame the cold comes with it though.
But what would the bulbs do without their cold hibernation period ?
We just have to grin & bear it all.

Lovely painting Sue.
I can see you having chickens running around in the spring.
Your hens must think they are in chook heaven in that lovely yard.
Lucky you have the egg laying area hidden from the crows.
I have seen crows go right inside a long covered chook run to find eggs. They are a most innovative bird.

Hello Colleen. Nice to see you are getting better slowly.
I know how hard it is when hubby gets so bad with his back.
Keep resting and enjoy a bit of pampering by others.

Teresa, how are things over the ditch ?
You must have all your house as you want it by now. Have you redesigned any of the garden at all. ?
Hope Sugar is not leading Copper astray there.

Dianne, are you getting all the rain too ?
Your brugs are looking good.
Give Tilly a pat for me.

Charleen, Where is Charley ?
He hasnt been to see me for a day or two. I suppose you have given him some nice fresh hay.
Abigail still comes to leave me an egg. Dear little thing she is.
I hope the weather is being kind to you. I see awful storms on the TV.

Moon I hope you are also away from the storms and not so hot either.

Hello everyone else popping in for a cuppa.
Here is something to nibble with your cuppa. ...Walnut Cinnamon Loaf with Coffee Icing...

Enjoy the day and keep safe
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

July 28, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9221910

Good Morning everyone. I hope the day holds everything you want from it today.

Jean, yes the crows can be a menace- the pen is bird proofed but not snake or rat proof as I haven't laid the concrete floor as yet - I just fixed wire from edge to edge on the floor,then gravel, then mulch as deep litter over that - no foxes can get in, but a smaller bird could just over the door - I will deal with that later too- it just needs a rail across the top to block it completely. Don't want sparrows pinching or polluting feed either.
The sun has just come out after some lovely rainbows so I will get outside now while it's fine- been a wet grey week really.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

July 28, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9221972

oops forgot to add the ppics I took of Lord Jima nd his ladies today.
Poor lad needs to grow his tail feathers back but he will in time.
Lulu is teaching the little girls how to eat grass - the poor things have never had any I don't think.
Eljay and Dolly on a perch- they like to be up high.

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 28, 2012
11:20 PM

Post #9222054

Hope that you had a great time flying kites with your grandkids, Al...I must get mine out of retirement.
We have some nice, broad beaches around here and they fly very well...it's been a while...

Chookie, was Lord Jim named after the character that Peter o'Toole played in the movie of the same name?
He looks like a fine young fellow, even with his feathers missing, has your Jostaberry fruited yet?
Mine is 2 this year and we've only had a couple from it...so it should be better this year...

Sorry that you're freezing Anthony...hope you enjoyed that counter lunch...are the little green bottles in your pic a couple of posts ago, the ones that you are talking about?

Beautiful Brugmansia, Charleen...I like that word Serendipity..it rolls off the tongue...lol

Colleen, you and Jean are having a bad run...kind of your sister to come and help.

Don't get tempted to do anything Jean, he probably doesn't do things the way you want ( they never do)
but I'm sure Robert is doing his best and hopefully the doctor will have the answer.

That gold medal in the relay was nice to watch...Go Aussies
Ray loves the beach volleyball, I wonder why :-) he was disappointed this morning, the Aussie girls wore long pants...what did you think Anthony...lol
Dianne.

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 29, 2012
1:55 AM

Post #9222076

I spent most of yesterday water blasting the deck & pavers.
Looks so much better out the back & the pavers aren't slimy & dangerous any more.
The deck needs to be treated for the algae growing on it, the water blasting helped but wasn't enough by itself.
The dogs had a good day at training today, it was sunny & warm enough to shed my jacket & heavy wool jumper.
Sugar had a light bulb moment on her down stay...
she actually realised that I wanted her to stay down for more than 2 seconds at a time.
From being a jack-in-the-box (or is that Jill-in-the-box?) she went to being the star of the class :)

Thumbnail by dalfyre

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 29, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9222108

Yes, Dianne, The miniature bottles from the 60s-70s, they used to supply in the motel 'mini bar.. I can only get them from the 'Yang Si Provence' In China,for 7c each[heres the catch] minimum order '10,000'.,plus shipping? And what did i think of the Volleyball???The Americans looked great, as I shortcutted through Mc donalds this morning{8.25]? and saw the big screen,.I could say a bit more,on the lady 'Cook', ,but lets just watch the olympics and be happy...!!-Anthony,.,I just purchased'Helleborus/Frittilara/Humboltii ssp Occelatum seed, seems people here need some of these,..,.wILL GO WITH IT,.,.,,.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9222588

Jean, Charley is so busy reaching over some of my fences stealing grass and looking at me with those big brown eyes with red eyelashes. he is so bad. Long as he doesn't burst thru, he is o.k.
Abigail was sitting on her nest earlier so you will be getting another lovely brown egg. she is a good girl.
My nephew is letting me take care of his chickens. They are HIS but I can take care of them. He is 8 years old and such a wonderful little Brat... He knew I loved those little chickens...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 29, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9222736

Good morning everyone.
Still quite dark here so looks like a very dull and cold day .
I love seeing all the bright yellow of the wattles which really brighten up the roadsides.
Lots of bulbs up now. Yellow seems to be the color which comes out first, jonquils, daffies, wattle .
My wallflowers are also starting to show all their colorful flowers.
There is a carpet of green where the nasturtiums are all spreading themselves around.

Charleen, thank Abigail for the egg.
I thought I saw the tail end of Charley going around the edge of the trees behind the Tea Room. I think he was looking for more hay.

Hello Teresa, very nice to see that Sugar is learning what to do at the right time.
Hope you are not too cold there.
Hello Anthony, keep warm by your fire. I see Tassie was very cold .
Has Cocky got a jacket on ...lol

Dianne, I can see you now, running up & down the beach with your kite.
Kite flying is something I never got into.

Sue , your are right to exclude the darn sparrows from the chook yard as they can be areal pest .
I had them getting into the shadehouse for awhile as it was joined to an old shed.
Once I found all the holes and blocked them , their mess was gone.
Very pretty hens too.

Colleen, keep resting . Lucky you have good friends & neighbors.
The time will come one day when you can do a good turn for someone else.
What goes around , comes around .

Hello Moon , and anyone else popping in.

Hears something yummy for morning tea. ...Cherry Cake.

stay warm and safe
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 29, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9222863

I'm still sitting in the warm. Its a very grey day out there and I am not going to venture out unless I see a bit of sun.
Had to pop this in for all to look at
It was sent to hubby by one of his OS friends. We think its great.
http://bit.ly/GT6c4K
Jean
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

July 29, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9222920

Good morning everyone, A sunny cool morning today - nice for a change from grey skies.

Dainne, My Jostaberry hasn't fruited yet and the frost took every leaf off it so I am waiting to see what happens next. Mine too is only a bit over a year old so a bit more wait for fruit yet - if it survives the frosts.
One almond tree is in full blossom now but the other still budding up so they are not pollinators although I had a good crop off the late one last year- I may need that universal pollinator - and it may be there is one nearby for the late one to pollinate off too, but not the early one which hasn't had fruit for two years now. I will look around the area as I drive through and see if I can cadge a branch for this one this week- the bees are busy.

Anthony do you have a pic of those Frittillaria? I have so much shade I might be planting some this year, under the oak trees I think would be good - do you????.

My ivy geranium is in happy flower right now.

I am moving furniture and computers again this week(for the last time !!) so may be offline a bit. Have a good week everyone.

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

July 29, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9222939

Sorry Dianne missed answering your question - He was named after Lord Jim the book by Joseph Conrad. Written I think about 1899 or thereabouts,have an old copy here and thought it fitted him well.Didn't see the movie at all.

The wattles in the area are just glowing with yellow now - the precursor to Spring along with golden daffodils - you are right Jean - yellow is the lead in to Spring. I have one lone daff out yet.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 29, 2012
10:16 PM

Post #9223203

Chookie, its Frittillara Michaelovsky[close enough]-Im an obsessed seed purchaser[saved $3 by buying 4 packs though!! Jean-VERY cold last night, but some great rain!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9223205

We're watching the awesome Olympics from London, great show by the Aussie swim team! Congrats to all the fabulous athletes from around the world! This is about the only decent entertainment we get in the summertime, the rest is just reruns. It wouldn't be TV if it weren't for sports this time of year.

Al

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 29, 2012
11:02 PM

Post #9223214

I avoid sport like the plague.
I cannot stand the media hype.
This goes for football, tennis, cricket and whatever else the media feels I need to see in endless replays.

Thats it , off my soapbox.
I know you are all enjoying your sport and I am odd for not wanting to see it.

Back to my reruns, I prefer them . ...lol

Jean.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2012 8:50 AM
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 30, 2012
1:02 AM

Post #9223236

the bad weather has started here, heavy rain until Friday at least...
glad the pavers are clean so walking around out there will be a lot safer.
Had an interesting customer today, chap from Texas, he wanted to take home merino for friends but was worried about it being too warm over there.
We found him a few things he liked & in the end he spent nearly $500.00.
we had a few people come in looking for an extra layer to wear - it was warmish this morning & a few were caught out not dressing warm enough for when the temperature dropped.
My chap from Texas bought a Drizabone jacket (& one for a friend) & wore it our of the shop as while he was looking around the rain started to bucket down.
Another lady came in & bought a couple of jerseys & a Drizabone man's zip front cardi - she had me cut the label off as she didn't want to take it off after trying it on :)
Hopefully the colder weather will push sales up as we have been a bit slow in the last few weeks.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9223482

Good Morning.

Our weather forecast this week suggests that you stay inside unless you absolutely have to be outside. Temps around 35C with heat indices around 42C. Very humid and still.

Hope you all have a pleasant day...be safe, stay warm.

Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 30, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9223924

Good morning everyone.
Still cold & damp winter here.

Moon I could use a bit of that heat , but not for as long as you have had it .
It must be awful for those older and the very young.

I am off to see the Doc today so hopefully will have some sort of diagnosis on why my shoulder has been so bad for so long .

Teresa , I could send you my cold weather to help with sales...lol

Hello Charleen, Sue, Al, Anthony, Dianne and everyone else popping in .

I will leave you all something yummy for morning tea... Apple and Cinnamon Slices.

Take care and keep safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 30, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9224328

Hello. My, you've all been busy. I won't try to answer everything, its too cold to sit here long.

Have been keeping busy. Barry has been here for a few days and I've been getting him to help out with chores I can't do by myself. One was a large pot that had a mini peach tree in it. The pot had become overwhelmed with bulbs and the sides had split. I could hardly find the little peach tree for the long grassy stems of the bulbs. Only way out of it was to take out the tree, soil and bulbs and all, and tease out the peach tree roots and putting the rest into the bin. Took ages, but I got the tree repotted into fresh, weed free soil, and now hope the tiny green shoots will grow and that the plant will flower this year. Other chores included getting some curtains up, and just general round the yard stuff.

Hope everyone is keeping well.
Karen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 31, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9225177

Good morning everyone. Jean I do hope that the doctor gave you some peace of mind with your shoulder. I'm getting better very slowly, but I'll get there. Not much done outside and the weeds are starting to laugh as I walk past. Dear little GHA is flowering at the moment. Such a lovely little golden flower. Bev came and vaccuumed and washed the floors for me again. and even cleaned a couple of windows. Such a wonderful help. The man hasn't been yet to prune the fruit trees. The Apricot is nearly ready to burst into bud. I hope it's not too late to give it a bit of a trim. Chookie I love the chook palace and I hope the new ones are settling in well. Karen great to see you getting a bit of help with your chores too. Hope everyone is well. have a great day. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 31, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9225179

Good morning everyone. Its a bit quiet in the Tea Room.
I hope its because you are all busy and not due to any more ailments.
Its foggy here this morning so hopefully may be a fine day.
I need to tackle a few weeds.

I saw my doctor yesterday. She has all the test results back and they show that all the ligaments, tendons or whatever are torn at the back of my shoulder.
I dont remember doing anything that would have caused it , but apparently it is very common and just caused by the wear & tear of age.
She gave me an injection of cortisone and I get another in about 6 weeks.
I had the first pain free nights sleep in months. It is wonderful to be able to move my arm without pain.
Of course, its not a cure ( there is none ) but lovely to not have to keep using the other arm more, which I was worried might cause similar there.
I still feel the dull ache to remind me not to overdo.

I must get myself moving today, as I sold some irises and now have to go rescue them from the wet outside so they can dry off for posting.
I had a large pile of leftovers from when I thinned them all .

Hello Charleen, I see Charley and friends wandering down around the field behind the Tea Room.
Lots of nice grass there . I didnt see the hens anywhere though.

Sue , dont overdo the moving of things around.
I have a Jostaberry here but it doesnt like the climate. Hasnt done much . The birds would eat the berries anyway.
They found my raspberries and loganberries last season.
I really must get to the Op shop and buy new clothes for Michael so he looks smart enough to scare the birds again.
Poor thing looks like s raggedy old tramp now after a few seasons of weather have ruined his clothing
( for those who dont know him, Michael is my scarecrow )

Hello Anthony, keep your fingers & toes warm there. Glad you had some welcome rain.
I found a couple of lilium bulbs that were not eaten by creatures in the shed. I will plant them out and see what they do.

Teresa, I hope your shop sales continue to get better. I think there is still plenty of cold weather to come.
Nic eto see the OS visitors buying too.

Moon, hope you are getting some relief from the heat there.
In a few months you will be wanting it back...lol

Colleen, hope you are coming along okay too.

Dianne, Ivorie is waving to you. In a few more weeks she may be looking in the window as she is on the veranda just outside.

Hello Al, hope you are getting some relief from the hot weather where you are too.
Not good for garden at all.

Karen, I am so pleased to see you back in the Tea Room too. I hope you are well rested and taking things very easy.

Time I went out to the kitchen to see what I have for you all this morning...
Here we are ...Lemon Coconut Slice.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9225316

Jean, wonder if you did more damage to your shoulder when you fell a few weeks back. I damaged mine in April moving my FIL up in his hospital bed...no pain I noticed until the next day. My DR said women have shoulder problems as they get older due to smaller musculature/strength. I don't know about that, but seems I hear women complain of shoulder pain more than men...??? Grin

Hope everyone is feeling better. Happy day to you all.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 31, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9225377

Moon, you just reminded me . I had forgotten that when I fell I did fall on that side.
I had been having some dull shoulder pain before, but nothing like what I have had since the fall.
Silly me, I was concentrating on getting my knee okay and never thought of the shoulder
I must tell the doctor when I next see her.
Talk about being forgetful...lol

Probably women only start to mention pain when they get older.
We dont have the time to devote to worrying about it during our more active younger lives.
Working , caring for children, looking after men that moan about the smallest pain...lol

Jean.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2012 12:12 PM
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 1, 2012
2:07 AM

Post #9225650

we don't need any more cold weather but thanks for the kind offers ;)
Had a very slow day at the shop today, the big boss was down from Levin but we had the place in order so while the office staff were panic cleaning & tidying we just went about our normal routine.
Last night I went with a co-worker from the shop & her teenage daughter to the movies, we saw Magic Mike.
Enjoyed it but wouldn't rave about it.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9225908

Not forgetful, Jean...just as you say...too much to do to really pay attention. I do not know that it will change the treatment, but it will offer an explanation for the amount of damage and pain. So glad the cortisone helped...poor sleep makes us feel every little twinge all day long.

At least ya got to see a few nice looking men, Teresa...GRIN

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9226128

Charley says for me to send you all a few blooms. Hope all are well and getting better...
Charley sends nuzzles to you all...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 1, 2012

Post #9226267

Good morning everyone.
We had a lovely spring day here yesterday.
No wind and the sun out all day. I even felt some warmth from it.
Managed to do a bit of weed spraying too.
Just one more lot to do and the new weeds will have room to grow...lol

Hello Moon, yes , I am sure the treatment wont change but it was puzzling me as to how it all went so bad so quickly. Now I know, dont fall over

Charleen, your blooms are very pretty. I do like the two pinks together.
Thank Charley for sending them.

Hello Teresa. Isnt it funny how some people will rush around in a panic when the boss comes ?
If all is running okay , one should be confident.

Hello Sue, Anthony, Al, Colleen and Dianne.
I am off shopping today so will go see what I can leave out for morning tea.
I hope the day here is as nice as yesterday. and that you all have a lovely day.

Try these with your cuppa... Chocolate Mint Brownies
Stay safe ,
Happy day
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 1, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9226268

Red sky this morning, so goodness knows what the weather will be.
Kettle on Jean, cups are out...
Good point moon, it certainly wouldn't have done Jean's shoulder any good.
My granddaughter saw Magic Mike, Teresa, she enjoyed it too...I wonder why...lol

Charleen, what are the double white and the pink Brugmansias?, name please...they are lovely.

Jean, I didn't know that you had a Jostaberry too...we must have bought them all around the same time..

Anthony, I planted my double Liliums yesterday, they are Polar Star, Sweet Rosy and Distant Drums...
Can't wait for these to flower.

Karen, just in case you aren't aware, the mini fruit trees can shoot from below the graft if they are neglected for a while...so rub off any shoots or you won't have a mini tree...lol

Colleen, glad to see that you are coming along too...
Dianne
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 1, 2012
11:21 PM

Post #9226716

Dianne, I didnt buy the jostaberry, It was a cutting gown one from a cousin.
No orphans today just a large bag of Dynamic Lifter. The start of the spring fertilising .
I have been feeding the brugs with a light liquid feed about every two weeks because they were still growing well. They are looking good considering the cold.
My broad beans are also looking strong.
I look forward to spring planting . more beans, corn & pumpkins.
Lots of flower seeds I will scatter around which usually never come up anyway.

My shoulder is telling me its still there but a lot easier to bear now and I can use it carefully a bit more.
Not too bad a day in Hamilton. A bit of cold wind but we were more in the sheltered areas .
Thats the good thing about the big city shopping centers. One can stay inside all day .

Time I had a cuppa now, its getting quite cold again.
Keep warm all.
Jean.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 2, 2012
2:25 AM

Post #9226746

Dianne, I had sweet rosy and distant drum.,.,treat them well,fertilise at the right time and dont cut the stems,..They are renowned for not coming back in the 2nd or 3rd year..,

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9227477

The double on the left is Moonlight angel the other one is Painted Lady and she is a reall show off. It is a single but such a beauty. I thought the two of them looked pretty together.
I have one named flame and am so disappointed in the color. But it is also a double, soft orange.
We are getting some very much needed rain. Love it. won't have to water for a day or two...
There are so many pinks it is crazy. The one in this is called Xena. She is a big sized bloom too. Once she gets going her and Painted lady are in competition , I love them both. Have not had but one yellow and it doesn't look good now. i may leave it out this winter if it doesn't do something...
Last one is called Monster, the plant is just covered in single white blooms...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 2, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9227484

Good morning everyone.
I got lost this morning.
Had to go help hubby with a couple of things outside and nearly forgot you would all be waiting for a cuppa.
Cold & foggy here this morning with drizzling rain during the night.
I will not be doing anything outside today , but then I now have the lovely brug book Huandju , to read .
I glanced through it last night and will get more into it today.
I am already wanting every brug I see on the pages .

Lots of helpful info and some interesting reading on the history of the plants.

Charleen , your brugs look very pretty.
Do t they make a lovely splash of color ?
Hope Charley & friends are being good.
Abigail has given up leaving me an egg so I must give her some more crumbs.

Dianne, how are things going down your way ?
Hopefully some sun for you.

Hello Anthony, Al, Colleen , Karen & Sue.
I had better get myself moving and do a few things domestic before I get into reading any books.

Here is something to save you all from starving this morning... Chocolate Cream filled Cake.

Keep warm and safe
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 2, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9227508

Hello to all. I'm being a bit of a sook at the moment and not got much to say, as I've got a huge abscess on my tooth and the pain has been unbearable. Taking 3 painkillers every 3 hours still didn't knock it. Day 3 now and the antibiotics may just be kicking in finally, as I've been able to stretch the pain killers to 6 hourly. They have made me feel so sick but hopefully I will need to take less and less now. But if you don't see me in here for a bit, just know I'm getting through this as best I can. The dentist can't do anything until the abscess settles down.

Then on Tuesday next week I am getting the full check on my eyes at the PA hospital. Will find out if they will treat the cataract and check that the diabetes isn't causing any eye problems.

Thinking of you all.
Karen

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9227524

Ouch Karen...ice packs can be very helpful as they reduce swelling and slow down that horrible throbbing. Good luck to you...hope you can get in with the dentist soon.

Lovely Brugs Charleen.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 3, 2012
1:21 AM

Post #9227836

Xena is lovely too, Charleen...
Anthony, those liliums don't sound very good if they only last a year...do they just die?

Jean, the day has been sunny and I've given the Brugmansias a big chop...some are now half as tall...GHA has been cut back to the first of the new growth and he looks very tidy now...
Karen, you are having a bad run...hope your mouth is better now.
moon, your weather might be a little kinder soon...
Colleen, hoping that you are well and on the mend.
nice weekend forecast, enjoy everyone...
Dianne
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 3, 2012
1:55 AM

Post #9227840

poor Karen!
painful teeth are just awful, Mum used oil of cloves to ease hers until the dentist could extract the rotten thing.
Good luck at the hospital, hope they have good news for you about the eye.

Take care :)
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 3, 2012
2:32 AM

Post #9227845

Sugar just gave me a terrible fright - I was going out the gate to fill the water bucket & the weasel shot past me & out onto the street...
she has escaped before but not like this & last time came as soon as I called her.
This time she ran off after the cat & then when she lost Cassie decided to run into the next door neighbours yard...
& then into the next yard & the next yard with me in hot pursuit.
She ran across the road & I finally cornered her & managed to get hold of her collar - thank goodness I left it on her!!!
I really hope this was a one off as she has been so good about coming when called.

+

the plus sign is Copper's contribution to the post... he hit the keyboard with a paw when he was trying get my attention.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 3, 2012

Post #9228538

Good morning everyone.
Rain again overnight here ( 30 points)
Its cold & cloudy now so probably more rain. August is usually the month with more winter weather . Sort of a last attack before spring.

Karen, tooth /mouth problems are very painful.
Take it easy and enjoy all the nice soft foods like egg custard and quiche etc.
Hope all goes well with your eye tests.

Reminds me , I may make a quiche for lunch today.
Havent had one for a while.

Teresa, that naughty girl will give you grey hairs.
I'm so glad you were able to catch her before anything serious could happen.
I know it was awful at the time , but looking back, I can imagine the two of you tearing around the neighborhood. ...lol

Dianne, I got in early with my bruggies and chopped most back in autumn.
I wanted to move a few so did them then.
Yours will be all ready to shoot up now as soon as the warm weather gets here.

Hello Sue, Anthony, Al and Moon.
Hope all is well with you all

Colleen, my lovely winter hippie is now opening.
It seems to like waiting until this time of year.

Charleen, I left cookies out for Charley.
Hope you are having some nice warm and not hot weather. Your garden is looking lovely.

I will not be doing much around the garden today after the extra rain. Everything is squishy.
I will have another read through the lovely big brug book.

Here a nice treat for your morning tea. ...Banana and Date Loaf.
Keep safe and enjoy your gardens.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 3, 2012
11:26 PM

Post #9228974

Thanks Jean,
Banana and Date loaf is one of my favourites...lots of butter too, well maybe not real butter...lol
I'm getting fed up with this cold weather...and the occasional glimpse of the sun...

I bought a Finger Lime today, we'll see how it goes...it was grown locally so it should be ok...
I was told to keep it in a pot facing east...so I will do just that...
It's a prickly little devil,
http://www.australianfingerlime.com.au/
Dianne

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9229097

What interesting fruit that is Dianne. I do not recall ever seeing one before.

Hope your sore tooth is feeling better Karen

Enjoy your brug book, Jean

Hope you all have a lovely weekend.

Stay warm and dry

Moon
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9229218

You folks seem to greet each morning with fresh baked goodies, which is a great idea. Wifey made a nice zuchini bread with fresh farmer's butter yesterday that tasted really good. We have tons of zuchini, can't give enough of it away this time of year.

Hot weather has brought on my main line tomatoes a little earlier than usual. Most often we don't see them until the third or fourth week in August. We plan a huge family gathering in early Sept to make sauces and can up for storage. Our (not so secret) homemade spagetti sauce is well respected in the family, and we make lots of it. I'm not too sure that we even have a recipe for it, just everything thrown in.

Al

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9229226

Good Morning Al. Since this Thread is called the Tea Room, Jean always puts out a "goodie" for the Morning Tea break.

My tomatoes are working on their second go round. It got so hot they stopped producing, so since they are in pots, we moved them to a place where they got dappled mid-day sun. Now they are putting out new leaves and a few blooms. Before we moved them, I was watering 20gal pots 2 to 3 times a day.

Moon(the other Jean, grin)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 4, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9229624

Good morning everyone.
The sun is teasing this morning. I am sure it is trying to entice me outside.
I am not going out in the cold until I make sure the sun is going to stay there.
We had rain yesterday and again during the night.
I was able to do a bit of spraying before the rain arrived late yesterday. Hopefully I have been able to keep on top of the weeds so far.

Al , I am looking forward to getting my tomatoes going in the new tomato bags. They will hang on the old clothes line away from creepies ( I hope)
Your get- together to do the tomatoes sounds like fun.
I used to do bottling etc when the kids were small but now theres just the two of us, its not worth doing any these days.
You will enjoy our virtual goodies as you will never put on any weight...lol

I am also waiting to plant corn . I love growing sweet corn. I will freeze some of the cobs as they are delicious done in the microwave.
I have lots of small onion & leek plants I have grown from seed. They will do well here once in the ground.
Lots of green beans and maybe some butter beans. I have pumpkin seeds but have to find the right place for them to wander while still getting sun.
Once the deciduous trees grow leaves again , there is a lot of shade.

Dianne, I have heard of finger limes but never seen one. Hope yours does well.

Moon, how is your garden going ? I hope the heat has not affected your plants too badly.

Hello Charleen, thank Abigail for the new egg, It was delicious.
Give the furry ones a pat for me.

Hello Teresa, how is the weasel today ?
I did like Coppers effort to communicate with us... lol

Karen , hope the mouth is improving . Take things easy.

Colleen, are you managing to get about a bit more now ?
Keep resting and you will be right by the time the warm weather arrives.

Sue, we know you are not here at the moment , but if you do look in , hello and we hope those hens are laying for you.

I had better go and be domestic with washing etc.
I love my washer & dryer. So easy for me with the sore shoulder.
Which , by the way, is feeling so much better after the cortisone.

Enjoy the day and morning tea with this ...Apple Shortcake with Passionfruit Icing..

Keep safe
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 4, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9229785

we finally have sunshine, a cold breeze blowing, perfect for washing on the line...
I feel utterly rubbish & only got as far as putting clothes into the machine.
Made breakfasts for hubby & hounds then crawled back to bed.
Hubby finished putting the washing on & is off to work with cylinders (or something) from his plane & his mate's to put into their measuring machine.
I slept a couple of hours & then thought I had better make the most of the sun & put the washing out.
When I got the dogs out Copper was sprawled out in a patch of sun & the weasel was fast asleep too.
We've been having a good play session while I kept Sugar distracted from pulling the washing down.
She can be so good, & then she becomes a weasel in a split second & does something wicked.
I think she is getting better though, her sweet side lasts longer & happens more often now.
It is wonderful to be able to relax a little & enjoy her instead of watching her like a hawk to protect everything we own.
My daffodils are trying to come up, I really need to move the cr*p the tradies left on the garden, they dumped all my pots, bits of concrete & old timber right on top of the daff garden.
I shudder to think what the left over concrete they dumped on my peony patch will have done to them.
Everything is so sodden out there I just can't motivate myself to get stuck in & make the changes I was planning.
I suppose taking more time to think it though won't hurt...
cheers all,
Teresa
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 4, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9229817

Stay in bed Teresa. Everything will still be there when you feel much better.
Keep warm.
Jean.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 5, 2012
2:22 AM

Post #9229968

A beautiful day yesterday, andthis morning, but it all turned terrible at 2 pm today.,high winds, cold and pushing rain.,.Its freezing outside again,.I had another friday off, with no deliveries,so took it very easy[have to watch the 'cashflow'],.,groceries, i got a ute load of firewood, then attended a free lunch [beautiful hamburgers] at work,.,then came back home with much indigestion and organised my woodstack[while Sooty watched me from the balcony].,..
Dianne, those doubles are very hard on the bulb, so give them all the help you can.,.,and if you havnt already done, plant your Lankong, to a larger pot , this year.,.Seems Im doing something right, here, as a lot of my species lilies from seed, are growing well and so are a lot of my 'odd' coloured trumpets,.,.
Teresa, If your garden suffered this year, you have something good to look foreward to next year!, they will come back bigger and better than ever.,.Admittedly,very slow in the daffodil blooms here!!!!- is that good or bad?
Anthony

This message was edited Aug 6, 2012 9:51 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 5, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9230596

Good morning everyone.
It was an awful day here yesterday too Anthony.
This morning is still freezing cold.
August always seems to be the time for a last mad push by winter to either freeze us or blow us away.

Teresa, I saw the implosion on TV of that damaged building in Christchurch . Quite impressive , the way they do that.
Hope you are feeling a bit better today.

I think I will sit near the heater today and read more of the new brug book.

Hello Colleen, Sue, Dianne, Karen and anyone else popping in for a cuppa.

Hello Charleen, Moon and Al. Hope you are enjoying your gardens and some mild weather. over there.

Heres a treat for morning tea...Blueberry Scones ...( yes , lots of jam & cream )

Happy day
Jean.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2012 8:39 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 5, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9230631

Good morning. Just popping in for a cuppa this morning. Tooth has eased off, but not settled and the lump of the abscess is still huge. I think I'll have to do a second course of antibiotics on it before they can touch it.

Went out looking for birds to photograph yesterday and was very pleased with what we saw at a place called Minnippi Parklands at Tingalpa. Bird life abounded but I was very saddened by the amount of rubbish floating down the creek. This pic was a mound of rubbish being taken down the creek by the fairly fast current. The little peewee was foraging among the rubbish which included plastic bottles and even a baseball. The sides of the creek had plastic bottles and other rubbish stuck in tree roots. It must have all come from up creek somewhere as there was no access to the banks where we were. Some people have no respect for the environment at all.

Hope everyone has a lovely day.
Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 5, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9230705

Sorry you are still having a problem Karen.
It is sad that people dont care about the wonder around us.
Heres a couple pf pics from a lot sent to hubby by a friend.
This should brighten your day.
There are some wonderful things to see out there.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 6, 2012
12:39 AM

Post #9231092

the dogs were so good last night, no whining at bed time & they slept in till 6am!
I felt so much better & was a box of fluffy ducks at work.
Sugar had her first long walk this evening, so far we have just taken her around the block but I realised that she is nearly a year old so perfectly capable of going double the distance.
She should sleep well tonight.
Poor Copper was left at home with a Tux bikkie to console himself with.
It was fully dark by the time we got home but the weather is predicted to be nasty the rest of the week so I was determined to get the walk in while it was mild & dry.
Friday it's meant to start clearing, so hopefully Saturday I can get into the garden & do some work...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 6, 2012

Post #9231123

The frog is absolutely brilliant ,Jean,.,..,.,.,looks like me, In my pondering chair, after a new years day, roast pork,kraklin, n, gravy, washed down with a 4xxxx or two,..
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9231636

The main season tomatoes are just starting to ripen, been eating cherries for a week or so. We made a fresh bruchetta last night for din. Think I'm going to try Charleen's tomato pie soon, looked really good. The fenceline is near full bloom also.

Love the reclining froggie, I've felt that way a time or two myself.

Great Day All!

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad   Thumbnail by lycodad

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 6, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9231992

Good morning everyone. A cloudy morning after a cold cloudy day yesterday. Not as freezing as the day before without the biting wind.
The garden is stating to look a lot nicer now with lots of green sprouting all over the place.
Bulbs are flowering everywhere. I love the bright pockets of color that spread themselves around .

Hello Al, nice to see you in your lovely garden.
Those tomatoes look yummy.
Very pretty border there too.

Anthony, I love the idea of a pondering chair. I have benches around the garden to sit and meditate on whats going on.
Lovely to have our own little places to admire gardens.

Teresa, its nice to hear that Sugar may be growing up.
Some dogs stay at the naughty puppy stage for way too long.
Maybe Coppers manners are finally making a mark on her...

Hello Karen. I hope your mouth is responding to treatment. It can be so painful .
Keep warm and rest.

Colleen, how are you doing over there ?
Lots of rest too and enjoy being looked after.

Dianne, are you freezing down there also ? Your lovely garden will be looking lush after all the rian. How is little Tilly going ?

Moon , hope you are getting some mild weather and able to get out in your garden during the day.

Charleen, I gave Charley a bag of cookies to share.
I saw Kaitlin with him this time.
Hope you are also having some lovely mild weather and not melting away.

Hello Sue if you are looking in at all. Hope we see you back soon.

Hello to everyone else popping in for a cuppa,.
Here is one of my favorite temptations for morning tea. ...Chocolate Mud Cake..

Happy day, keep safe
Jean. .

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 6, 2012
11:32 PM

Post #9232590

well if it's not earthquakes we are getting volcanic eruptions...
the North Island's turn for Mother Nature to let loose.

http://www.geonet.org.nz/volcano/activity/tongariro/

http://www.3news.co.nz/Home/Tags.aspx?topic=tongariro&gclid=CICkmbjy1LECFYNOpQodBzAAhA

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 7, 2012
12:02 AM

Post #9232596

Poor NZ you had all better come up here ! (((hugs)))

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 7, 2012
1:11 AM

Post #9232602

Al, those tomatoes get me all enthusiastic for summer...love them lots of different ways...yum on bread.

Do we think that maybe NZ might be getting ready to sink back into the sea...she certainly is carrying on..
We have the boats at the ready...

Tilly is well, Jean...we are getting the garden ready too...today we moved a couple of the deciduous azaleas into the garden and used the large pots by putting 3 small Brugmansias in each.
The little Jet Fire mini daffs are looking great, I have a big tub of those littlies.

Karen, it makes you wonder how people can litter a beautiful waterway like that..

Jean, they are lovely pics...
This pair of bird buddies were enjoying the sun yesterday...a wattle bird and a dove sitting side by side, they didn't mind me photographing them...

Dianne...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 7, 2012
1:40 AM

Post #9232604

Dianne - make sure those boats stay on stand by...
although will Aussie accept Kiwi boat people? ;)

Sugar last night decided she needed to have both raw hide bones...
poor Copper was so confused.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 7, 2012
1:54 AM

Post #9232605

Teresa, as long as you can get close to christmas Island' looks like you are in'

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9232912

I made some Peach Pit jelly. Wowsiers!! It is good!! Used left over pits and skins from peaches I sliced and put into freezer. got 10 ziplock qt. bags with 2 c. each in a bag.
The jelly came out to 7 half pints and very pretty. Tasty too...This is first time making Peach jelly, I can hear them sealing on counter. When pictures get loaded I'll show you a picture.
Charley and Abigail are making a pest at the Tea room???? Just Chase them off, the little beggars. Except Abigail does pay for her feed, i guess Charley does too in his own way. Just so you don't get tired of him...
Been crafting with my clay again...Karen sent me an e-mail with the stones and I liked it so much I decided to make some. they are already sold...How great is that????My pictures will be loaded in a bit and they are so pretty. I have some of the prettiest morning glories this year. We have been getting rain and Grass and plants all love it. Brugs are blooming again. I think the singles are so beautiful. Not complicated like some of those poor doubles, but I do love them all...
Here is that beautiful Peach Pit Jelly, first time I ever heard of anyone using the pits in a recipe.
Here is one of those Morning glories...
Here they are growing in with the brugs...
Hugs and nuzzles to all...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 7, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9233359

Good morning everyone.
A wild & windy night here again. .Yesterday wasnt too bad. The wind was not as strong or as icy for most of the day. We even had some sunshine.
We have to have some trees cut away from the power lines , so hubby went out when I was busy.
He had cut down 4 of the smaller ones when I caught up with him and made him stop.
He still thinks hes years younger. He gets a bit wobbly now & then so its too dangerous for him to be using the chainsaw.
I rang a farmer neighbor , who will find someone to do the rest.
Th e power company suggested a contractor, but they didnt suggest they pay for it. We could not come anywhere near the money they charge.
I said to hubby, he can play out there once the trees are down. He can chop them up for removal. The trees are not huge in girth just tall .

Teresa, I hope that volcano settles down but we will always welcome the kiwis here. ...
What else can NZ throw at its people. ?
Poor Copper, he does look a bit confused .

Charleen, your jelly sounds delicious and I like your new art work. .
Dont worry about Charley, he is never a pest around the Tea Room. I love to see him looking around the corner to see whats to eat.

Dianne, isnt it lovely to have all the different birds in our gardens ?
You can sit on your seat and enjoy their antics.

Anthony, I had to laugh at your comment re Christmas Island . You are so right...lol.
A bit far for Teresa to go though.

Hello Karen, hope things are getting better for you. Some lovely spring weather may help.

Hello Colleen, if you are looking in. Hope all is going much better for you too.

Hello Moon and Sue and also Al over there with his yummy tomatoes.
Al , have you tried some of the more unusual ones ?
I have tried the zebras and some of the yellow ones. Very tasty.
I always wait for summer in the supermarket so I can get the brown ones I love.
Must try growing a few of those ones myself this year.

Its not nice outside here . Strong wind and more rain. Nothing will be done outside .

Heres something for morning tea that you can all enjoy...Pumpkin Spice Cake.
Keep safe and enjoy those gardens.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9233621

Ya'll welcome to stop in for din after chores tonight, just pop by when you get a chance. We're havin' quick fried veggies, fresh farmer's sweet corn, and choice sirloin tips on the barbie. Ellen made some nice fresh onion rolls and of course a few tomato slices on the side. We're drinking the local Honey Brown Ale, but you can bring a pack of your Foster's if you're willing to share. We can even furnish a tea bag if you prefer with dessert.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad   Thumbnail by lycodad   Thumbnail by lycodad

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 7, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9233722

Sorry Al. I just had to sample all that yummy food and I didnt leave much for leftovers...lol

I love sweet corn.
Have you ever tried it in the microwave with the leaves still on ?

The onion rolls were delicious.

We have Magic Carpet that lives in our Tea Room cupboard, so its very easy to pop in on our overseas friends .

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 8, 2012
12:01 AM

Post #9233813

Ooh Al, I can almost smell that steak...Anthony will be there in a shot too...I bet, he'll want to try the beer as well...he won't want to bring Foster's though, he's a XXXX man..
We do our corn in the microwave with it's leaves on too...it only takes a couple of minutes...I feel like some corn now too...
What's for dessert?

Some of Charleen's jelly on scones, would be very nice...with a dollop of cream...

Lol, Anthony...you are probably right re Christmas island...Teresa just sail up Corio bay and come for lunch when you are ready...

Glad that you stopped Robert, Jean...men don't know when to give the job to someone else, do they?
Dianne.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 8, 2012
1:53 AM

Post #9233825

mmm - steak, yum!
I cooked t bone tonight, turned out well, used a smoked garlic sprinkle that Sister-in-law to be gave us at dinner last Sat night.
the rain came down heavily & we kept watching the cracked gib to see if water would come through...
only the usual drips came down & we have the garment racks positioned to avoid getting the clothes wet.
As long as nobody shifts anything it should be ok :)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 8, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9234725

Good morning everyone.
Well, the day has already gone downhill. Its raining here.
Yesterday was cold but fine so I was able to get around to a few things in the garden.
I had a list to get done today but now that will be all left until the sun comes back.
My shoulder is feeling so much better as long as I dont forget and go to reach too far .

Dianne, you are so right. Never ever let a man get near a chainsaw.
It seems to be some sort of disease with them..cut. cut .cut...lol.
Same goes for whipper snippers & Roundup..
I have seen so many sad episodes where the man of the house killed off or cut off many plants.

I had a friend years ago whose hubby went out to spray the lawn edges..
A few days later, her prized flower border was beyond hope.

They do try but it seems that the men and the tools do not have an empathy for each other...

Teresa, I hope the rain has eased. Nothing worse than leaks where you dont want them..Pat those spotty dogs for me.

Karen, hope all is well with you and that you are able to enjoy your food again..

Colleen, also hoping all is well up your way.

Hello Sue, Anthony , Moon an Al.

Charleen. what new things are you making aside from your rocks ?
I think of you and the furry ones every time I open the fridge and see Charley and friend sitting there..

Looks like I will spend the day with a good bo9ok again here. I hope you are all able to get out and about to enjoy your gardens.

Heres a tasty treat for morning tea...Chocolate Marble Cake.

Dont forget to have a look at Taste.com and The Joy of Baking.
fantastic recipes.
Keep safe and well
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 8, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9234759

Good morning everyone. Jean it is a very slow process. Had another Physio appointment yesterday, have my back taped again and still have to wear the brace. I;ll get there. Lovely to read everyone's goings ons. Hi Al a belated welcome from me. I bet you and Ellen didn't find much of your food left after we'd all finished with it. Looked yummy. The sun is shining here and I've had to put the sprinklers on. Everything was looking a bit limp. Will have to water the pots somehow today. Will have to drag my chair along with me I think. I decided to repot a brug the other day, so put the 12" pot in the wheelbarrow of potting mix and repotted it and then thought " how can I get it out of there?" It's still sitting in the wheelbarrow. Glad to hear that your shoulder is feeling much better Jean. Where is Chookie? Must go and get the boys moving. Will try to get back soon. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 8, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9234890

I knew sending all those little machines to Mars would disturb the locals up there.
I just hope he doesnt decide to blow up the Earth again.

Where is Bugs Bunny when you need him ? ...LOL

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 9, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9235938

Good morning everyone..
Did the little Martian scare you all away.
It has been very quiet in the Tea Room.
I hope its because you are all busy and not because you are all ill.

Colleen, I know I shouldnt, but I did smile at the picture of you sitting there looking at that pot in the wheelbarrow. .
How many of us have done similar and been unable to move the darn things even without a crook back ?
Hang on and someone will move it for you.

I will be getting out and about later today . I am going to cut my grass clumps down as they have grown well over the autumn.
Have to go to Casterton this morning. Hubby has an appointment.

I will take the chance to do a bit of shopping and get a new container of Roundup.

The rain has eased off here so I may get some weeding done this afternoon .

Hello to everyone and I hope I see lots of smiling faces coming in for a cuppa later.

I am off so I'll leave something in the kitchen for morning tea...Banana Caramel Loaf.

Take care and stay safe.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9236103

My newest creation started out sorta ugly but after I added hair and diaper it turned out pretty good.
I want to learn to make mini babies. also elves. I made this baby and the first two pictures are sort of shocking but after I added Diaper and hair and open her eyes she looks pretty good. Also made a little mini-pony.. Love this little thing. Now got to make a little mule to go with it...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 9, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9236328

You are so clever Charleen.
I love the little mule..
Maybe you need a Charley and a Charlotte to go with him /her.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 10, 2012
1:02 AM

Post #9236380

Everyone is probably frozen Jean, I know that I am...

Colleen how can you say the sun is shining and your garden needs watering?,,,everything here is water logged and frozen...can't wait for the sun...
Chookie is probably frozen too...

Charleen, I can't say that your baby is exactly pretty but I love the way you've posed it...just like a baby's little feet...really great...love the pony pose too...

My Daphnes have been really great this year, flowering from June and they are still going...

Have a great weekend everyone...
Dianne

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 10, 2012
1:16 AM

Post #9236382

Forgot the Daphne pic...I have 3 pink and 2 white...
I have lost my double pink Hellebore, ''Gunther Jurgle''...don't know where he went because they are so tough, but he's gone...I have the dark one, 2 yellows, a few double whites and a couple of different single pinks...oh well it's a good excuse to buy another at the Macedon plant sale next month...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 10, 2012
1:46 AM

Post #9236386

Sadly, Ive ventured into the Hellebore growing zone.,.,mixed hybrids, from Helen Ballard,.Oriental Red.,will be 2 yrs before i see the fruits from seed!.I have a heap of 'Fays' repotted Hellebores here, Im going to donate[smallies] to the childrens section, at the daff show,.,and some to the LV garden club for sales[as Fay would have wanted],.Charleen, you are getting very good, with your creations.,If theres one priority on my bucket list, its''meet Charleen and the clan'',.,.[PRIORITY+]-Anthony
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 10, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9237033

Good morning everyone. After a mild and windless day, we had quite a bit of rain overnight. Very cold & dark this morning .
I have my new container of Roundup now but cant get out to use it. ...

Dianne, my hellebores are flowering nicely.
I love them . I just let them grow as they like. Promiscuous little darlings.
Always lots of new ones popping up.
My Gunther Jurgl is usually one of the first out.

Anthony, the orientalis red is lovely. I have one like it too.
I forget the names of mine as I dont worry about breeding them, they do that all on their own..
I have lovely black out at the moment.

Charleen, pat the furry ones for me , I missed Charley this morning.

Hello Teresa, Colleen, Karen , Al and Sue.

I am off to get another cuppa to warm my fingers.

Enjoy your day.

Heres a treat , but if none is here, Charley may eat it...Lemon Cranberry Cake.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9237054

Then I guess I'd best try a slice now...grin

It is raining here also...third afternoon in a row. At least it helps keep the temperatures down a bit.

What fun Charleen...love the little horse.

Rain, weeds and heat pretty much sums up what's happening here.

I did catch this Sphinx Moth having a sip at the 4 o'clocks...folks here call them Hummingbird Moths...they are about the same size.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 11, 2012
1:52 AM

Post #9237416

finally a mild day on my Saturday off!
I got busy outside & removed the concrete from the garden around the peonies.
Removed the rubbish, bits of old timber & concrete (see a theme here?) from the daffodil/iris garden.
There were some sad looking daffy stems that had grown under the mess, all yellow from lack of light, don't know how they will get on now they are in the clear.
I weeded a lot of grass out as well so roll on spring.
I also got stuck in & removed the Kangaroo apple from the back yard, it was severely damaged by the snow & my Five finger likewise lost a couple of branches so I cut it back & reduced the bits to fit into the green bin, between the branches & the weeds the bin is full up.
Probably a good thing as it made me stop before I over did it.
Feel a bit stiff now.
I took Sugar on her walk & just went up to the park, was going to let her off for a run but there was another couple with a nice golden retriever that Sugar ran off to say hi to.
After I fetched her back we did some training, & she was so good I let her off - and she promptly ran off to say hi to the same dog again.
I thought they had left or I wouldn't have released the weasel.
She is so much better at walking on lead & behaves better that she did but the running off thing worries me, she was always impressively good about coming when called.
I think since being in season she is going through the 'I'm a big girl & you can't make me' stage.

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 11, 2012
2:28 AM

Post #9237430

Hmmm- Ive got a cockatoo like that Teresa,.,.Attitude +
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 11, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9237504

Me ?? Is she talking about me ???
I am innocent of all naughty things. ...lol
My name is Sugar, not Weasel...I am so sweet...

I can hear her now Teresa...
Butter wouldnt melt in her mouth , as my mum used to say.
Jean.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 11, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9238065

Good morning everyone. Still raining here and the weeds are loving the fact that I cannot get at them with the Roundup..

Very quiet in the Tea Room again.
I hope you are all doing okay and not feeling unwell.

Moon, lovely to see your smiling face .
hope the heat is easing off for you.

Anthony, Cocky wouldnt be naughty, I'm sure. He just knows he is better than most ...lol

I am going to spend the day relaxing and will finish my read off the great brug book , Huanduj
I will leave something nice in the kitchen in case anyone pops in to say hello.
Charley will most likely get all the leftovers..

Enjoy your day and this ...Chocolate Cake.
Jean.

This message was edited Aug 15, 2012 9:37 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9238085

Charley finished off the other cake he came trotting in with crumbs in his whiskers. But he is not allowed Chocolate.
Yes, That is not a pretty baby but I'm going to practice to make more. I have a SIL who loves this stuff.
You all should see Charley's new little nephew...
He is an English Bulldog. I believe I am going to call him T-Boy, Hubby wants to name him Troy the Gator Dog, Uncle Lucky loves him, He keeps coming over and smelling him...
Getting to know each other. Kaluha likes playing with him. Of coarse Poor little Radar doesn't care for him at all...
We will see how he grows. He is a sweet baby...He's asleep...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 11, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9238166

Charleen, he is so cute. Just you wait til he grows...lol
I had a neighbor with one once. He was a gentle old thing ( the dog , not the neighbor )
He used to lay against the screen door and noone could move him. They can get very large and heavy.

Very polite English gentlemen, usually
Maybe he should be a Sir or a Lord something...lol

Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 11, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9238382

Charleen - such a cute puppy, glad the other's get on ok with him.
The first positive training book I read was written by a woman who made her British Bulldog up to Obedience Champion in the States.
I was so impressed & figured if she could get the results with a dog like that then I could try it with the Dalmatians.
And it worked wonders, instead of looking at non- working breeds as stupid or stubborn she referred to them as independent thinkers that need owners to find the right motivation for them.'
Once you figure out what your dog craves above all other things you can use it to reward them for desirable behaviours.
Of course it only works if you keep working on it... Sugar is good at so many things that I forget sometimes that she needs practice, little & often.
Mind you this morning I was ready to give her away, she managed to pull the new Roman Blind down in their room.
It is bent out of shape & will have to be replaced!
The bad weather has set in here, we were crazy enough to take the dogs to training, just let them have a free for all run around before we instructed the basic class.
I forgot Copper's muzzle but we let him off lead & he was as good as gold.
No sign of the aggression he used to display around other dogs.
I wouldn't risk it with dogs (& owners) that we don't see on as regular basis but it was nice to see him having fun chasing the ball & running with Sugar.
Glad I got so much done in the garden yesterday, they are saying the rain will be here till Wednesday at least.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 12, 2012
1:01 AM

Post #9238608

My son wanted to buy a Bulldog, but at $1000 a pup, he soon changed his mind...now he has a retired Greyhound and a Whippet...they are such characters...
He is beautiful, Charleen...he will be a joy to watch grow up...

Sugar looks great Teresa, nice to know that dear old Copper is doing well too.
Pretty pic, Moon...glad that you are getting some rain...

Bought one of the new Hellebores this morning, the flowers are all upward facing...a pretty pink.
http://www.pma.com.au/view_plant.asp?plant_id=273

Just heard on the radio this morning that we are not allowed to import Camellias anymore...there is a type of petal blight that affects the Camellia flowers, OS... it isn't here so the growers approached the govt...evidently we have a big dollar industry hybridizing Camellias...
There are so many beautiful ones around...

I might get a piece of Chocolate cake and put some cream on it...thanks Jean.
Dianne.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 12, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9238656

Dianne, Camellia trade is rich here[tell me what you need- i'll look for it] No chocky cake/cream, for me ,or sooty-- lifes dull, with out sugar[No pun Teresa] Man Alive.,.,.,I investigated ''GUMTREE'' this morning for the 1st time[much to the pressure from the dudes at work],..Ive listed 3lots of lily seeds, Potted Daffies, And advertised the Claremont Lily Show/////////how good is that!!!!...even better, Ive sold 6 lots of lily seed, today''wooo-hooo'',.,looks like people were starving for it.,.,.oNE LADY RANG AND SHE SOUNDED LIKE THE 'BIG'[caps off] lady, with the 'Cleopatra' haircut from the 'Coles' Commercial,.,Anyway,.,how good is gumtree?Hope she doesnt try to feel my muscles,...,Im chuckling!!!.,...Its been a big day-Anthony

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9238754

I thought you all might like this clip...but especially Teresa...grin

http://now.msn.com/dalmatian-adopts-an-orphaned-baby-spotted-lamb-in-australia
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 12, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9239160

Good morning everyone.
The sun is shining so I have great hopes for a lovely day.
Look out weeds, I'm coming to get you...lol

Moon, that clip is so cute. I know Teresa will love it.
Wonderful, how Mother Nature can have different animals get together to care for each other.

Anthony, congrats on your sales. Remember not to buy on that site, just sell ...lol
I can see you eyeing offmore new bulbs.

Dianne. arent hellebores so pretty. I do like the way they survive and wake up in winter to brighten our gardens . Mine will flower right through now until late summer..
Love camellias too but they dont like it here much.I have no idea why, but I see some huge ones over in Hamilton.
I do have a mini in a pot which does well.

Hello Karen, Al, Sue, Colleen and Teresa.
Charleen, thank Abigail for my breakfast egg. Charley has been over for his breakfast already.

I am off outside to enjoy some sun while it lasts.
Enjoy this... Caramel Crunch Cake.. ...

Keep safe and happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 13, 2012
12:59 AM

Post #9239627

Dianne that hellebore is gorgeous.
Love the upturned flowers.
Wonder if those are available in NZ?

Anthony, have to agree that life would be dull without Sugar ;)

The wee spotty lamb is adorable & I wasn't surprised to see a dally mothering it.
A friend's old girl would come into milk within hours of seeing any little puppies.
She made a fantastic foster mother for orphans.

Horrible weather here, heavy rain & blustery wind. My new brolly took a beating although I managed to avoid having it turn inside out.

Roll on spring!!!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 13, 2012

Post #9240358

Good morning everyone. Not a good morning here. The rain is back along with the cold wind. I went out to spray yesterday but it was way too windy.
The weeds were laughing.

Hello Teresa. Did you send the weather over ?
I bet Sugar would like a little spotty lamb to play with. She would probably try to eat it...lol

I hope everyone is recovering from any ailments, its very quiet in here.

I am going to just sit and read again today. The brugmansia book takes a bit of going through. Very good read too.

Enjoy your day everyone and try some of this ...Chocolate Berry Cake.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 13, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9240394

Good morning everyone. Yes. I'm still here. Raining here too Jean. No wind though. Yesterday was lovely. Have a great day everyone. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 13, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9240741

Glad that you are having success with Gumtree, Anthony...Hope the "Dawn French" sound alike lady, bought a few from you. and that you didn't have to duck and weave...lol
Jean's advice is good...don't buy only sell...

Moon that is such a cute clip...what a lovely lamb...i wonder if they will try to breed "spotties" when she gets older.
Colleen, hope that you are much better...how are your Brugs, or are those Broms taking up all your free time?
I hope not, you have some lovely plants...Are your Vulsas getting very tall? mine are about 5ft now..
Remember Michael G said that they get to 6ft and then they think about flowering...I can't wait until the first one flowers...

The rain is settling in so it's going to be another grey day...oh well.
Dianne
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #9240795

We got the twins for the weekend. This is Landon (boy) cheering for the US Olympic diaper changing team, and Sydney (girl) watching the water polo match finals. We had to give them back this morning.

Al

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 13, 2012
11:11 PM

Post #9240822

Well what an odd weather day. It was cold and raining here all morning so I suggested to hubby we go out somewhere as neither of us was able to get anything done here.
The sun came out around 11am as we were halfway to the border of SA
We ended up in Mt Gambier , had a nice lunch and walked around in lovely sunshine.
I bought potting mix, coir bricks and some nice t shirts.
Saw lots of bird life on the wetlands and quite a few kangaroos.

Al, those babies are so cute.
I love them at that age, especially when I can give them back to mum.
No more changing nappies & messy feeds for me these days..

Going to have a nice cuppa now with some cake if Charley hasnt eaten it all by now.

enjoy the rest of the day
Jean.

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 14, 2012
1:56 AM

Post #9240847

adorable twins :)

another cold wet day here...
we are all sick of it.
Hope they are right about it clearing up tomorrow!!!
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 14, 2012
2:35 AM

Post #9240852

Even with the past rain we've had, Its still pretty dry here!..It started raining[on /off]about an hour ago,.,.,.Little baby lily seedling spikes coming up here in my seed boxes.,.my 1st oriental crosses are setting up a little sail[Heart Factor x Queen strain].,.,these will look 'bellissimo'',.,.Daffodils look good for the show.,.,Jean- your 'black hooded lilys' look good to make a september viewing..they look very happy here.,.,Everything is looking good, except my firewood stack[its depleting].,.,also my wallet contents look very poor too!!!!! Anthony

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9241051

Good Morning Folks.

Glad you got some sunshine time Jean, even if you had to travel to get it..grin

Awww Al...what a pair of little cuties you have there. Won't be long before you will have more help in the garden.

Anthony, I hope you have tons of healthy ,happy Liliums ready to march out the door...gotta let some of your expenditure flow back to ya...grin I know you will soon be surrounded by gorgeous flowers and hopefully lots of folks who want them. Healthy happy plants...fat healthy wallet.

Fingers crossed for sunshine down your way Teresa. After a while the rain is just depressing...and with Pups going in and out, a chore.

Dianne, wouldn't that make for a lovely flock...spotted sheep led by a Dalmatian Bo Peep...grin

Colleen, good thoughts for your continued recovery...I know not being able to get out to the plants is worrisome.

Wishing you all sunshine and warmer days.
Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 14, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9241558

Good morning everyone..
A dull winter day but it may clear later..Fingers crossed.

Teresa, I hope some of the sun I had yesterday can find its way over to you.
Makes one feel so much better when the sun shines on us all.

Moon, how are things over your way ?
You will be looking forward to some mild autumn weather before you start freezing...lol

Anthony, I see lots of liliums poking their heads up here and I am hoping for lots of beautiful blooms.
You will be surrounded as spring arrives in your garden. Lots of new bulbs for you to enjoy.
Keep that wallet securely tucked in your pocket ready to fill with lots of cash.

Hello Colleen, hope you are slowly improving.

Dianne, your garden must be looking wonderful now with all the spring flowers ready to pop out.

Karen , hope you are improving also. Keep smiling up there.

Al, how is your garden coming along ? Do \you get a lot of winter snow ?

Charleen, what are you doing now ?
Have you made any new little figures ?
Charley had a good feed of cake yesterday as noone came to eat it all. He is getting very familiar with the kitchen here.

I am looking out at the sky which is turning blue. The clouds are moving away..
Hooray, I may get at those weeds today.

Heres a tasty treat for morning tea... Choclate Ginger Slice

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 14, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9241692

Good morning everyone. A lovely mild morning here this morning. Another trip to the Physio today, oh boy I do hope that she can get my back and legs going properly soon. The weeds are laughing at me. I'll get them sooner or later. Lovely little babies Al. If anyone wants to see my Great grand son now he's in my FB. Go to the shared one with Bianca Schulz and Angel Morris and "like" him and he could win. He's a little beauty now 3 and a half months. I tried to copy the pic so that I could put it up for you all but it wouldn't copy and I couldn't even print it. Probably something to do with it being a studio pic.I hope every one has a wonderful day and I'll get back soon. Colleen pic of some of my cactus

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 14, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9241813

Is this him, Colleen...It said that you had "Liked" him...I couldn't remember if his name was Kaiden...tell me if it isn't him and I'll put the right one up...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 14, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9241819

Oh thank you Dianne. Yes that's him. Isn't he beautiful? I'm not biased though. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 14, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9241874

All these cute little ones . They are all so cuddly...
I just had to add my 2 gt granddaughters ... Ella Rose ( 3 in Oct ) & Ava Jade ( 1 in Nov )

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 15, 2012
1:09 AM

Post #9241978

Yes Colleen, Kaiden is a beautiful boy and let's hope he wins the competition...
Alright Jean...your girls are very pretty and yes I'm jealous that I don't have GG's, boys or girls...lol
Al, your twins are gorgeous too, lots of fun coming up.

Moon,I like the idea of a spotted flock...wouldn't they be pretty.
Dianne
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 15, 2012
3:07 AM

Post #9241999

I love the idea of a flock of spotty sheep...
years ago I met somebody with a dally that he had run with his border collies working the sheep.
He said herding didn't come naturally to the dog but he learned fast & did a good job.
we did get some sunshine today, it was so nice to feel the warmth after all the rain.
Hopefully it will stay fine until after the weekend but I missed the forecast tonight so don't know what's predicted.
I'd like to get out & try weeding the rose garden & see if there is any sign of life from the lilies.
May be too soon as it is still very cold here.
So glad I put them in a raised bed so the drainage is good.
When the dogs were out on the back lawn I could hear it squelching underfoot!
I have never seen it so bad out there, we had flooding in areas that have never been so much as a puddle before.
I wonder if the earthquakes messed with the natural drainage?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9242067

Got me a English Bulldog puppy. The rest of the boys don't care for him but I love him. They will get used to him...I made me a gnome and an elf. coarse I had to have a few dragons...
Think Fall is in the air. Think I'm trying to catch a cold and want to take something for it.
The babies are all so cute...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9242125

T-Boy is a really cutie Charleen ...he would be a big hit with all these sweet little ones.

These are my 3 grandsons, none of them babies anymore... except to me, grin...the oldest Jordan, will be 18 Sept 1, then Aidan, will be 7 Aug 31 and Ethan who turned 3 in April. Skype keeps them in touch.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9242365

It does snow here, Jean, but we usually don't see much of it until December or January. We're in the "ski belt" of western New York.

We're enjoying the height of our summer right now in August. Garden is doing well with lots of fresh veggies.

Al

This message was edited Aug 15, 2012 12:30 PM

Thumbnail by lycodad

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 15, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9242617

Good morning everyone. cold & wet again here so not a day for walking around the shops, but one can always stay inside the warm places.

Al that snow looks so beautiful on the trees.
I have been in snow up in our higher mountains. It is lovely to look at but I would not want to live in it .
Enjoy your nice weather while it lasts.

Charleen, I love all your little creations. The dragon looks very friendly.
Pat Charley for me, I have a nice egg from Abigail.

Moon, the little ones grow so quickly dont they ?
Its nice to enjoy the grandchildren . Mine are all grown too and spread around the country.

Teresa, hope you are seeing more sunshine by now.
Give those spotty ones a pat for me.
I have seen a flock of spotty sheep. They were owned by a lady who did a lot of craft with the colored wool.
Very unusual to see them all out with their patches & spots.

Dianne, hope you are keeping warm and enjoying some reading time with Huanduj.

Hello to everyone else popping in. I am off to see what I can leave out for morning tea.
Its shopping day today so we will be off soon to Hamilton.

Enjoy some of this ...Orange Chiffon Cake.

Keep safe and warm
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 15, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9242634

Hi everyone. Just popping in to say hello to you all. I've been battling high blood pressure this last week or so and have been doing as little as possible apart from what has to be done. The doctor thinks its stress related, so am just trying to remain calm and go with the flow.

Reading through the posts, so much I've missed out on. Love that little spottly lamb. How gorgeous, but how sad his mother rejected him. I'm sure he'll have a wonderful life though, despite that.

Take care.
Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9243372

Abigail is a busy girl. So glad she is earning her crumbs. Handsome boys, Jean...
Got ms. Gnome made for Mr. Gnome.
Also got some more clay creations made...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9243508

Thanks Charleen. I may be a bit biased...grin

those Gnomes are cute. Are you going to make them a house?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 16, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9243876

Good morning everyone.
Not a good morning here. Yesterday wasnt too bad while we were shopping in Hamilton , with a few light showers.
It deteriorated by about 2.30pm when we were on our way home.
Lots of squally rain and wind. It has kept up all night so I am not looking forward to getting out to see if there is any damage to plants.

Charleen, I love the rear view of the mules. Mrs Gnome looks very smart.
Moon is right, they definitely need a nice little house.

Karen, lovely to see you feeling a lot better. Take things slowly and enjoy sitting around in your garden.

Hello everyone else. Dianne, Colleen, Anthony, Teresa and Al.

Sue, hope all is well with you and that we see you back soon.

I am going to sit and sort through all my flower seeds today.
I know it will warm up eventually so I can plant them all.

Heres something yummy for morning tea, but only a few at a time. ...Chocolate and Rum Truffles..
None for Charley though. not good for him...lol

Keep safe and warm
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 16, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9243929

Good morning. What a beautiful morning it is too. Spoiled though by the crashing and banging of heavy machinery across the road. Has been going on for over a week as they tear down trees and grind stumps and they even tore the house down to make way for units. Our suburb is among those to be devoured by developers and they are going to completely submerge the area with brick and mortar units. Then the druggies, the paedophiles and other crims, the fights and drunken brawls with bodies on the roads and in the driveways, the police raids and ambulances at all hours, the break-ins and assaults...been through it all, finally found peace, but no, they can't let us have peace. So sad. Logan is to become the sort of area no one in their right minds would ever want to live in.

On the positive side, my beautiful Pink Snowflake epiphyllum is budding up and should flower early this season. I hope we don't get a bitter cold snap as I'd hate to see the buds drop. Will be sure to get pics when it flowers.

Charleen, they say practice makes perfect, and those clay pieces are showing the truth of those words. My absolute favourites are the unicorns.

My house filled up with gas this morning and I have everything wide open and a strong fan blowing. I was refilling the bird food container at the stove and must have knocked one of the knobs on. It wasn't until the gas reached the other end of the house that I noticed the smell and felt dizzy. Am rather annoyed that this could happen so easily without me noticing. Not very safe.

Take care.
Karen
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 17, 2012
2:55 AM

Post #9244297

Karen that is scary to have so much gas in the house.

We had gas hot water & oven years ago but I refused to have gas heating here as the cost is getting so high.

I was rostered on for Saturday but have swapped with my workmate...
the part timer that comes in thru the week is quite volatile & she took exception to me asking her not to put whole cardboard boxes from the office into the shop recycle bin.
So much so that she lost it completely & was yelling at me not to speak to her like that!
The same person that questions every thing I do & if I ask her to complete a task goes off & does whatever she wants.
She just happens to be a friend of the office/shop manager & was supposed to be hired part time for weekends - didn't suit her so they created shifts during the week for her.
She wasn't available to work her normal hours on Friday so they gave her Saturday instead, and there was no way I was working alone all day with her.
This was the second time she has lost her temper & yelled at me - both times when we were alone in the shop, no witnesses and it becomes her word against mine as she runs off to her buddy & complains that I am picking on her!
I always thought that when you work part time and a full time worker asks you to do a job that unless it is unsafe or you know it is against store policy then you get on & do as you are asked.

I spoke to the manager, being very careful what I said as I know she is going to be defensive of her friend, I suggested that somebody was under a lot of stress & said I was worried about her losing her temper & yelling.
Which is true - I have a lot of sympathy for the girl as her house was wrecked in the earthquake but they have been deemed repairable - so no compensation, they have to wait for the insurance to be sorted, not to mention the engineering reports etc - can't sell the house, nobody would buy it & have to rent until goodness knows when as they have nothing for a deposit elsewhere, all their money is tied up in a broken house she doesn't want to go back to even if a magic wand saw it fixed tomorrow.
She & her husband & 2 kiddies are stuck in a nightmare limbo state & now her hubby wants to pack up & go to Auckland while she wants to stay near her friends.

So while I can understand her being stressed to breaking point it doesn't excuse her bullying me at work.

glad I can pop into the tea room & chat with friends here. I feel much better already :)
and it helps that my work mate Gail was happy to work my shift & is willing to keep an eye on things & try to see that I am not alone with the other girl during our shifts.

take care all - Teresa

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9244526

Love the Truffles Jean...grin

Karen, glad you are feeling a bit better...I know the gas filling the house was a scary situation for you. So glad it had a safe outcome.

Teresa, seems there is always one in the bunch that has "issues". I am sure her situation is stressful, but that is no excuse for bad behaviour. It is a shame you couldn't catch her responses on video...does your cell phone have that option? Good that you won't have to work alone with her. So often folks think because they are friends with the boss they can behave as they choose. Shame on her.

Hope you all are having a pleasant weekend...fingers crossed that the rains slack back and you get some nice sunshine.
This curcuma decided to bloom...finally.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 17, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9244803

This morning I used Sugar's breakfast as training treats, we went through almost the entire bowl working on teaching her to sit on a particular cue.
I have taught her to sit but spent some time working on down & now she isn't sure what to offer & will sit then down...
cute but not desirable in competition work.
So now I need to give her very clear cues & have her respond reliably to those.
Once she understands that each cue only has one meaning she will be happier.
I will also have to train my hubby to use the same cues so have to keep it simple.

weather looks promising for the garden, patchy cloud, no sign of rain (so far so good)
the green bin is empty & ready to receive rose prunings.
I'd like to mow the grass but it is still very wet out there so will wait & see if it dries out enough.

this is the daffy garden last week after the rubbish was removed, notice the road cone in the back ground?
No idea why they left it here but hopefully they will come back to finish the repairs & pick it up then.
I use cones in training but not this big!
Better to get the woody rose stems in the bin first as that stops the cut grass sticking to the bottom.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 17, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9244905

Good morning everyone.
No rain so far this morning. I am hoping for a few dry days . Its so squishy out there one cant get anything done.
Only a few weeks until Spring. It will be a bit more than that here as we seem to be about 2 -3 weeks behind everywhere else.
The garden is full of daffies & jonquils. There is even an old hyacinth flowering.
I find they only do well in the first year, then never has as large a flower in following years if they flower at all.
This one was put in the ground years ago and has survived somehow to put out a small flower.

Karen, so glad you are okay there. Not a nice thing to find your house full of gas. So lucky you could smell it and open all the windows.
So disappointing when the neighborhoods are taken over by developers and all the reasons people moved there disappear.

Teresa, it sounds as if that person never had a good smack when young. No manners or concern for anyone .
I am glad you have a friend there to be around. .
If the manager is allowing this to happen, she/ he should be more aware of possible repercussions.
Imagine a customer coming in in the middle of an outburst.
I hope you do not have to be subject to any further rudeness from the person.

Moon did you eat all the truffles ?
I found none left . I did see a hoof print in the dirt outside. Maybe Charley was here.. ..

Hello Charleen, Al, Dianne & Colleen.
Hope Sue is going along okay too.
I am sitting near the heater and thats where I will stay until I see the sun...lol

Heres something nice for morning tea...Chocolate Angel Cake.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9244937

I am afraid Charley may have beaten me to them...but I had a lovely stroll under the Cherry blossoms with my coffee. grin

Have a nice week's end.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9245041

Dag gum mule will eat anything sweet. Him and that Abigail love to go visit the Tea Room.
Dog gone gnomes got a set of kids running around. They are so busy and I don't even have the house yet!!!!
Also made this beautiful grey horse. . . .Wait, i think I see a bear coming up...Nothing over 3 inches.
durn, I love playing with clay.
Morning glories blooming everywhere too.
found this little white one blooming and I know I didn't plant it. Has a little pink inside the bloom too...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 17, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9245227

Charleen, I love your gnome family.
You definitely need a house for them all.

I suppose those kids will want a dog & cat too...lol

Love the butterfly on the horse.

We have sunshine here today after an inch of rain yesterday. Still a cold wind though .

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 17, 2012
11:11 PM

Post #9245326

Water everywhere here, not a dry spot anywhere...the dams on all the farms have turned into lakes...

Moon that's a pretty plant, is it perfumed?

Teresa, I hope that person doesn't stay long, you have been enjoying your job, it's a shame to spoil things.

Charleen, you really are enjoying your clay craft aren't you !!!...you better get to work on their house...

Karen, what did you do to get all this bad luck...step on a black cat or something...there must be very good times ahead for you, I'm sure.

We went for a short drive to watch the ships come thru the heads, the rip at the entrance to the bay is very dangerous, so the big ships are guided by the little orange pilot boat...there is a nice little cafe there and they sell hot jam donuts...so we sat in the car watching the ships and eating donuts, not a bad way to spend a bit of time...
Glad that you can see the sun Jean, none here :-(
Dianne.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 18, 2012
2:00 AM

Post #9245355

well I am hoping the part timer gets a better job, she also works part time at a nursing home - and is wonderful with the residents...
she filled in for someone in admin & did a great job, they want to put her into that capacity & we have our fingers crossed.
It gets her out of our hair & we do wish her well & would be really pleased to see her happy.
When she is on song she is bright & bubbly, I just don't think she deals with frustration or anger very well.

Anyway my day off turned sunny, I got the towels washed & dry, walked both dogs, and best of all...

I managed to weed all along the north facing garden, pruned my roses, cleaned up the front garden & totally filled the green bin.

I grabbed the hedge clippers & trimmed the Mexican Orange Blossom & the Horopito (Psuedowintera colorata).
Things are looking far tidier & I need to get some photos of the daffodils coming out & the white hellebores in flower.

Right now the dogs are quiet & happy, the cat is snuggled on hubby's lap, hubby is snoring & I am blobbed out with the lap top & watching CSI New York.
Weather tomorrow is supposed to be fine till evening so training should be good.

Cheers all - Teresa

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9245524

Good Morning

Charleen, better sculpt quickly or your Gnomes will need a bigger home before you finish the first one...grin Your little white MG is a classic example of genetics. That seed reverted to one of the original parents of the ones you planted...too cool.

Dianne, the curcuma has a light sweet fragrance that tends to fade as the bloom ages. The flower looks like it is made from crepe paper, but is quite sturdy. Sounds like you found a pleasant way to spend a rainy day. Hope you see more sunshine soon.

Teresa, glad you had a sunny productive day. The garden is a great help working off frustrations and gives a wonderful sense of accomplishment when you are through. Fingers crossed the part-timer gets a full time job. Perhaps that will allow her to be happy again and will certainly make your life more pleasant.

Here's hoping everyone gets warm and sunny soon. Good thoughts to you all for good health and happy days.
Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 18, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9245884

Good morning everyone.I see blue sky out my window. Heres hoping it stays there.
Yesterday ended up very damp & cold . It is winter after all. .

Teresa, I too, hope that person gets a job they enjoy so you can get back to enjoying yours.
Its not nice when you go to work expecting problems.
Maybe the young lady would benefit from attending a class with the dogs, to learn how to get on with others...lol

Charleen, I left a bag of cookies for Charley & friends on your door step.
hope you are enjoying some lovely weather.. It will soon be Fall for you there.
I love seeing all the trees as they wear those brilliant reds & yellows.

Moon, How are you going there ? Do you have many trees around you for those lovely Fall colors ?
Not many around here, but plenty up in the mountains. They are not native here. All have been planted over time.

Hello Dianne, That would have been a lovely day out. I have only been in that area once , many years ago.
The sun is shining here now, I hope it is at your place too.

Hello Colleen and Karen , hope you are both feeling so much better.

Hello Anthony, how are the bulbs doing ? Mine are up all over the place.
Hope Cocky is doing well.

Al . what else have you planted in the vegetable garden ? Do you grow winter vegetables or does it get too cold ?

Hello Sue if you are peeping in., and anyone else lurking .

Heres a treat for morning tea. ...Banana Muffins

Enjoy the day even if it is cold.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9245940

Good Morning Jean. I thought you might enjoy a few Louisiana landscape pictures. We do have some fall color, but not nearly as much as the Northern part of the US. We are just slightly colder than QLD in the winter.

The swamps in these pictures are not too far from where I live

http://www.davidchauvinphotography.com/gallery.php?gallery=Louisiana
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 18, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9245970

Thank you, Moon. They are beautiful pictures. I love to see what the country around our OS friends is like.
Jean.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9246007

We enjoy seeing your side of the pond, too, so keep the photos coming.

Here's two "blues" for ya'all this morning. This blue Jaybird was sittting on my bowl feeder just waiting to get his picture snapped, and my Heavenly Blue morning glory popped open also.

We're growing lots of stuff in the garden. Mostly tomatoes, summer squash (zuchini type, yellow and green), onions, pumpkins, and more. I have a friendly neighbor that trades off for his delicious sweet corn. We really enjoy the fresh veggies this time of year.

Al

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 18, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9246112

those swamp photos were lovely, such a different landscape to anything we have here.
Our swamps tend to be more low lying marshland & bogs.
The only thing similar is the mangrove swamps and those are on a much smaller scale.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 18, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9246159

2 weeks to the show and ive got 'narcissus cyclamenius' 'nylon'' conspicuus' and 'fyno' blooming.,,I think Im more excited about the "MONSTER" lily shoots that are coming up,..

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9246457

My pleasure...Louisiana is almost like two different states...the Southern half is more like the pics in the link, the northern half is more rolling plains and lakes like Texas rather than swamps and bayous. Maybe they should have drawn a line across the center and made us two states like the Carolinas...grin

Anthony, when you have the opportunity we would love to see some pictures of your beauties...

Teresa, we also have the marshes and bogs here, they are just closer to the coast. I am about 80 miles from the coast of the Gulf of Mexico

This message was edited Aug 19, 2012 10:46 AM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9246723

I believe some of the trees are already changing in some places. Starting to feel Fall-like in the air. so it won't be long.
Made a new baby today. And also got a bare "bum" one. Yep got to build a gnome home...That's for sure.
Charley and Abigail sends lots of nuzzles...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 19, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9246841

Good morning everyone.
The sun is coming up and we have an orange sky.
Yesterday was fine at first then misty rain all afternoon.
Makes it hard to start any garden jobs because one has to leave off halfway through. .
Part of winter , so I will just look forward to Spring and all the beautiful blooms.

Moon, I love hearing about the different climates and what sort of countryside is all around everyone.
Here in my little corner of the state, it is very open with lots of small hills. Most of the land was cleared of any trees by the early settlers.
There are still stands of large old red gums around and a few small mountain areas . Nothing as high as your mountain ranges in USA.

The largest of our mountains is Mt Kosciusko in the Great Dividing Range, which you would know from your visits. It runs right up the east coast.

Hello Charleen. I have seen some pics of your state and it has some beautiful areas as well as a lot of history.
Pat those furry ones for me.
Love your new babies.

Hello to everyone else. Its a rush this morning again as hubby has to be over at the medical centre early for his blood tests.
We may have lunch out and a bit of a drive around later.

Enjoy the day and this yummy lot of Cream Cakes ...

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 19, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9246863

Stunning photos Moon...he certainly is an imaginative photographer...
Do YOU pronounce It Looziana or Louisiana...on TV sometimes people who live in the southern part say Looziana...I love all the different accents in the US...
In my mind, Charleen has a southern drawl...
We are starting to be able to tell where someone lives here now...especially Tassie and Queensland...
The UK is fascinating, my husband can't understand any accents on UK tv...so I have to translate ...lol

Charleen, that bare bum baby is so cute...yes, get started on the house, looking forward to what you make.
Both of those "blues" are very pretty...

Yes, Anthony...pics please...the Show seems to have come around very quickly ...did you get an article in the paper this time?

Have a lovely day all, not too cold here..
Jean enjoy your drive and your lunch...
Here are some of my little self sown Cyclamen.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9246914

Good Morning

Jean, we laughed the first time we saw the desgination Mt Kosciusko...the is a small city in Mississippi,(about 400Km from me) that is named Kosciusko. It was named for a Polish-Lithuanian General, Tadeusz Kosciuszko who fought on the American side in the Revolutionary War. (They dropped the "z"). I was curious about your Mt Kosciuszko, and discovered that it was named for the same man...small world...grin

Polish explorer Count Pawel Edmund Strzelecki named Mount Kosciuszko in 1840 for Polish hero General Tadeusz Kosciuszko. Kosciuszko (1746-1817) joined the American Army during the Revolution, eventually rising to the rank of General as well as being the Deputy Engineer for the army. He was a defensive expert who created fortifications for Saratoga, Philadelphia, and West Point. He later urged that the Military Academy be situated at West Point. He was also friends with George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Kosciuszko returned to Poland in 1787 and waged war against neighboring countries for Polish independence. Later he retired to Switzerland, writing books about military strategy. After his death in 1817, Kosciuszko was hailed not only as a Polish patriot but also as a great American and a true citizen of the world.

The mountain name was misspelled in English as Kosciusko but changed by the Geographical Names Board of New South Wales to the proper Polish spelling Kosciuszko in 1997.

Dianne, Not many natives to my state call it "Looziana"... Most of us use Lou-wee-zee-ana, the Gallic pronunciation. My Mom was a stickler for proper pronunciation and grammar. yes, David Chauvin does have an interesting eye.

This message was edited Aug 19, 2012 6:14 PM
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 20, 2012
12:21 AM

Post #9247197

pretty much every where you go in NZ is within reach of the coast...
you can drive from the East to West coast & back in a day!
In fact some fit people run, bike & kayak the trip from west to east.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coast_to_Coast_(race)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/sport/photos/4647776/Coast-to-Coast-race

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 20, 2012
2:10 AM

Post #9247208

Just like me , Teresa!!...4 hrs from the furthest coast[north]..20 minutes to Collinsvale[best swedes in the world].,.2 hrs from the highland lakes[Lake King William]..,,2 1/2 hrs from sunny Bicheno[my old summer holiday haunt] 1 hr from Huonville [best apples in the world] 3 minutes from the Montrose bakery[best pies in the world] and 2 shakes from my backyard [best lilies in the world] ha ha !
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9247298

I'll meet you all at Montrose, sounds like my kind of place. Do they have a Starbucks nearby?

Al
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 20, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9248091

Good morning everyone.
After a miserable day on Sunday with misty rain then such a lovely mild sunny day yesterday, here we are this morning with very strong cold wind .
It has been blowing strongly all night. Looks like we may get more rain.
We had a very enjoyable day out yesterday. The morning was cold at first but soon turned sunny.
After hubby had his blood tests we packed up the picnic basket & thermos . It was an unplanned day , which is usually more interesting because you never know where you will end up.
We drove south through some very pretty bush and dairy farms to Nelson on the coast .
Along the coast to Port McDonnell , passing all the huge holiday homes that people seem to need .
Even in the small towns along the way yo see large houses that sit empty for all but a few weeks every year.
There are a lot of permanent residents but for most of the year, you would hardly see anyone there.
Very different in summer of course when they tourists and holiday makers all roll in .
We had our picnic lunch on the beach and fed the usual seagulls.
We drove along the coast for a while looking at the houses and the ocean. Lots of seabirds everywhere.
Turning back inland , we drove up to Princess Margaret Rose cave.
We have been down in the cave before so didnt go in this time. Took an easy half hour walk through the forest to the lookout above the Glenelg river.
Coming back , we decided to take the alternative road and have a look at a secluded little holiday place right down on the river, Donovans Landing.
Very pretty and hidden down in a valley .
From there we set off for what we assumed was the road back to the main highway.
Well , someone didnt put signs up.
We knew where we were but not exactly on which road as there are numerous dirt roads for all the pine & gum plantations.
The entire south west is full of plantations.
I said to hubby, stick on the bitumen as it always leads somewhere. It did...Mt Gambier.

Apparently the road we were looking for was one of the myriad dirt roads and not named.
It was still a lovey drive and we were not worried as we knew we would end up in Mt Gambier if all else failed.
Lots of water laying around in all the paddocks along the way with all sorts of water birds.
I took a few pics of various areas and will post them on a thread so you can see some of the area here.

Now, after I have regaled you with my uneventful day, how are you all doing ?

Moon, I love looking at the bayous etc, but would not like to go in there.
I would be looking around for alligators and snakes. I hear you have some very big snakes over there.
Thank you for the interesting bit on Kosciuszko.
I found this, so we are doubly indebted for some of our names here. The name Strzelecki is found often around the country
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paweł_Edmund_Strzelecki

Charleen, please show us some of your lovely state.
Is Dianne right ? Do you have a lovely southern accent ?
Pat Charley, I missed him yesterday.

Hello Anthony, Yes, you would not be far from the ocean anywhere down there.
I will get to Tassie one day. My daughter tells me its very beautiful.

Teresa, I always remember my Dad telling me of his trip to NZ. as a young man, before his marriage to my mother .
He really enjoyed the South Island. I had pictures of his from around Franz Josef Glacier and Milford Sound.

Hello everyone else. Time I moved myself and found something nice for morning tea.
Try some of these warm Cherry Scones..

Keep safe and warm
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 20, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9248097

Good morning everyone. Quite cool and overcast here this morning. The back is slowly getting better, but I soon know about it if I do too much. Not much gardening getting done. Have potted on a few brug seedlings but that's about all.Thank goodness the broms take care of themselves. Have a great day everyone. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9248169

Good Morning

Sounds like you had a lovely day of site-seeing, Jean. Yes, the swamps and marshes are lovely, but not very hospitable...grin. Most snakes here in Louisiana are under 2 meters, unlike some of the pythons that have escaped captivity in Florida. A few are poisonous, Cotton Mouth Moccasins, Rattle snakes, Coral snakes, Copper Heads, but they tend to stay away from populated areas..

.The larger predators here would be Alligators that can get 4 to 4.5 meters, although there have been a few to reach 5+ meters in length. Wild pigs are also a threat as they can weigh up to 150 Kilos and have a decidedly nasty disposition. You do also on occasion see Black Bear, Coyotes, cougars, panthers and Bob Cats.. Mostly the swamps harbor mosquitoes, leeches and a variety of stinging/biting bugs. really makes ya want to dive right in, eh? GRIN a couple links to more of our wildlife.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/157924337MgTMlp

http://www.squidoo.com/turtles-tortoises-terrapins-Louisiana?utm_campaign=search-discovery&utm_medium=greet4&utm_source=google
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 20, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9248260

forgot to add link to the thread of my pics from yesterday.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276390/

Jean.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

August 20, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9248466

I'm BAAACK!! Hello Everyone BRRR I am back now- had a rush trip to Brisbane to help out my son and stayed an extra few days for my Brother's birthday and 50th Wedding Anniversary. Just home today an hour ago and boy is it cold. Wet windy and BRRRR.

I did buy some plants while I was there for my sister in law's garden - after 50 years they didn't want for much so I figured plants would last anyway.

I hope everyone is well and happy, I will make a cuppa and read back to catch up on the news.Just wanted to drop in and say hi first , I have missed you all.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 20, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9248472

Hello Sue. Welcome back, We missed you and your chookies...lol

Have a good read then bring in some of your yummy preserves for scones and a cuppa.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 20, 2012
10:17 PM

Post #9248511

Welcome home, chookie...glad you had a nice time with the relos...yes, it is very cold...

These travelogue tours are terrific..keep them coming.
Colleen, that alignment pic is amazing..thanks...
I'm freezing at the moment, the heater is working overtime..see how warm it is in Brisbane?

I think that we will go over to Tassie next year sometime and finish the trip we started some years back...
Past Doo town and further south...have to go in Autumn of course and sample the apples in the Huon valley...
I would love to go to Cradle Mountain, but I could see me having to carry Ray...so that might be off the list..
Bicheno and all of that lovely coast would be on the agenda.
I think that I'll get some brochures and do some long term planning...sounds good.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 21, 2012
2:34 AM

Post #9248555

Lovely Hellies ,Dianne,.,.AL, Starbucks closed its doors!!!but if i cant find you a decent coffee joint around here- I'll eat my hat!![ which is a big rimmed straw one- and no doubt it would be a mean feed 'with some condiments added for taste'],.Jean, I'll get them to put a 'beef stroganoff and a 'curried scollop' away, for you at the montrose bakery ..Also ,my old friend ,Ivan Cripps, grows the best 'South Arm' pink eye spuds in the world...a plate of 'chats' cooked with the dirt still on, with butter, you cant beat!!!Dianne, in Feb, Bicheno reaches 36-40 degs for about 2 weeks..its a beautiful spot-Anthony

This message was edited Aug 21, 2012 5:23 PM
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 21, 2012
3:01 AM

Post #9248559

Colleen that sounded like a very interesting way to spend a day.
What we call a tiki tour...

It seems that every where in the world you can find amazing sights but sometimes it is nice to explore your own back yard first.

I have been all over NZ - but still haven't made it to Milford Sound or the glaciers.
Still need to explore the West Coast from top to bottom.
Hopefully when Baz rebuilds his plane we can fly to remote places & see what we have missed.

Dianne - I love the hellebores, very envious of the double white!
Must find some doubles for my patch, the ones I have are thriving so it would be worth investing in some new varieties.

I have pink lady, blue lady, Lenten Rose & a noid white.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9248758

Welcome back Sue. Glad you had a chance to visit a bit. How are the chooks settling in?

Jean, really enjoyed the pictures...thanks for sharing them. I am always tickled by the diversity and beauty of Australia.

Dianne, beautiful Hellebores, I have no luck with them, sadly. I was a bit afraid the last posting was a bit "icky" but glad you enjoyed it.

Anthony, Tassie is on my list of want to see places...I will have to sort out some good license plates to swap for a tour...grin

Colleen, glad things are easing up a bit for you. That pic of the alignment is beautiful.

Teresa, I couldn't agree more on touring one's backyard...we have only seen a little over a quarter of the US...still have about 30 of our 50 states yet to visit.

Hello to everyone...hope life is treating you well. Here are a few pics across the US

http://matadornetwork.com/trips/photo-essay-18-natural-wonders-of-the-usa/

http://www.fodors.com/travel-photography/top-10-natural-wonders-of-the-usa-251.html

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/multimedia/photos/?c=y&articleID=52687892&page=1

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 21, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9248929

Moon, that Smithsonian site is fascinating...and Yosemite park is very beautiful isn't it.

Thanks for the tip. Anthony...I won't be touring Tas in February...I like the cooler weather.

Definitely get some of the new varieties, Teresa...last year when I visited the Macedon plant sale, they had 3 tube stock Hellebores for $10. So I bought 3 and gave them to a friend...they flowered this year and they are all Spotted doubles...I'll be looking for more of those this year and Gunther Jurgl that's a lovely double pink that they would sell in NZ I'm sure.
http://www.postofficefarmnursery.com.au/galleries/ these are the people that I buy from at the plant sale...
Dianne.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9248971

There are some truly awe inspiring places in our world, Dianne. It is my life goal to see as many as possible...grin.

This place in Montana, USA reminds me so much of your Northern Territory

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 21, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9249259

Good morning everyone.
We are still in winter here. I saw many blossom trees on our drive the other day, but mine are very slow this year for some reason.
The Manchurian Pear is usually the first out but no flowers as yet.
Lots of daffies though & the jonquils. They look so bright on these dull days. One can smell the scent all around the garden.
Many dont like the strong scent, but I do.

Moon I love seeing all those pics. I will never get to your part of the world but can enjoy it via the pics.
Thanks for posting the links.

Dianne, I bought most of my hellebores from the same place via mail order. Lovely big plants .
I have not kept them separate so lots of little ones running around those promiscuous adults.

Sue, you will be glad to be home and getting on with arranging your garden etc.
I hope you bought a little warm weather back with you to share.

Colleen, glad to hear you are able to do a little bit now.
Keep resting though. Its so easy to do that little bit more then suffer for it. .

Teresa, the hellebores would love your climate too.
They are such pretty things and so easy to grow.
Hope Sugar is behaving like a lady these days.

Anthony, I know you live in a lovely part of the world too. Show us a few pics of your particular corner.

Al, , what is the countryside like around you ?
I picture mountains around you, or is it a flat area.

The sun is trying to shine here now so I may get out and about today.
I feel like a hibernating bear waiting for spring.

Charleen, I sent Charley home with a large bag of cookie crumbs for the feathered ones.
I wonder if they arrived or did he eat them all.
What is your corner on the US like ? I have seen lots of pics of parts of Georgia, but what is your corner of the state like ?

Better see what I can feed everyone for morning tea.

Try this ...Chocolate Cake.

Keep safe and enjoy those gardens
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9249520

I didn't want to toot my horn too much, but since you asked... We live in the western Finger Lakes region of NY State, far from NY City that I'm sure that you all see on TV. It's mostly hilly around here, not quite mountainous, with 11 sizeable lakes in the entire area. Boating, camping, fishing, hiking and a slew of other outdoor activities abound in all seasons.

I found a couple of interesting websites to explore, especially if you get into the photo albums and sub-stories which may take hours.

http://www.hornellny.us/
http://www.fingerlakes.org/

Enjoy!
Al

This message was edited Aug 21, 2012 9:15 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 21, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9249596

Al, toot your horn as much as you like. I enjoyed a wander through those photos.

Love the class photo in the historic pics.
Imagine that police force today. I bet they were tough though.

I could live there quite easily.
When I win the lottery, I will visit all the DG people over there.

Just been out spraying Roundup everywhere. I took advantage of the sunny day and now the weeds will not be laughing at me...

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 21, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9249607

Toot away, Al...Hornell looks lovely...especially the lakes district...how long have you lived there?

Our Nectarine and Peach are in flower, Jean...I'm hoping for flowers on the "Sensation" Pear this year and just maybe the miniature Cherry...
It is so pleasant today, around 16C...heatwave yeah...no breeze, just sun...

One of our local restaurants has just won a very prestigious award...if you like really fine dining...it's quite an experience on the palate and the pocket.

"Loam, located in Drysdale, won Regional Restaurant of the Year for 2013. Run by husband and wife team Aaron and Astrid Turner, Loam is set in an olive grove and uses local produce from the Bellarine Peninsula".

Look at this little bush, its a Cercis (Forest Pansy), when I bought it about 3 yrs ago, it was just a cutting from a school fete...about 6" high...it's about 4ft now...It will be very pretty when it's fully grown...I think our US friends call them Redbuds...lovely shaped leaf and good Autumn colour...
Enjoy the rest of the day
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9249812

Good Morning

Beautiful countryside Al. I have a friend who lives in Buffalo...quite a difference.

Jean, you must know you have a place to stay here whether you win the lottery or not. GRIN

Dianne, I love the little FP cercis, and yes here they are called Redbuds. My husband bought me a lovely 6 foot FP Redbud for our anniversary a few years back...somehow...(that pesky Not Me person who is guilty of everything) nicked the trunk with the whipper snipper and the tree developed an infection...I treated it with everything I could think of, but unfortunately after almost a year, the poor thing gave up the ghost. One day i will replace it and add a protective skirt so NO One can do any damage to it...

Hope you all have a lovely day...sunshine all around
Moon

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9249885

The crumbs are all gone and I bet Charley ate the bag. Hope it was paper. :-)
Took some pictures this morning of my house dogs and the new puppy...
Looking at you is Radar, Then Lucky Brutus Kaluha is leaning over edge and the Baby. T Bo, hubby says short for T-Bone.
Then T Bo -he is so cute and makes me laugh. English Bulldog Puppy...
Unicorns and Pot critter I got to put hair on...
So Durn I forgot Charley...I'll get him later...

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9250288

Here's my tomato sandwich for today. Lots of fresh lettuce, smokehouse bacon, crumbled blue cheese, and of course a slice of my Supersteak tomato. Enjoy!

Charleen, I love your new puppy T-Bone. He looks like a real cutie!

Al

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9250295

Sorry, I forgot to include the last one. On a nice fresh New York deli bagel.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 22, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9250388

Good morning everyone.
Well here we are back to miserable winter after such a beautiful day yesterday.
Once upon a time ...long , long ago... when I was young, one could arrange the wardrobe according to the season.
Jumpers put away in summer and bought out again in early autumn.

These days, you need all your clothes to add or take off each day, no matter what the season...lol

I know, its a passing thing. The Earth has been going through all these changes for millenia before we annoying humans arrived.

Al, I'm very sorry, but I ate your delicious tomato sandwich when you went out of the room...
I hope my tomatoes do as well as yours.

Charleen, those dogs are all so cute. Little T-Bo looks so innocent but I know there's mischief in there.
No cookies for Charley today, he had enough yesterday.

Moon , I had a good look at all the pics. Such a lovely part of the world.
But then , dont we each live in an area with beauty of its own ?

What I love about your USA is the amount of beautiful trees with so much Fall color .
Not so good on the west coast though . I hope those fires soon burn themselves out and no more are hurt.

Hello Colleen, Dianne, Sue, Anthony and Teresa.
I am sitting here with the heater back on.
Time i went to see whats in the kitchen for morning tea.

Something yummy ...Chocolate Coconut Slice.

Keep safe and warm
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 22, 2012
10:02 PM

Post #9250799

Just got back from Ballarat...sunny all the way until we decided to come back...boy did it get cold quickly...
We had the biggest lunch ever in Sebastapol at the Bowling Club...walked in staggered out...Anthony, even you would have been impressed...could not have eaten one of the many delicious desserts, even if it had been free...
The sun was shining when we got home but the cold winds soon caught up with us...

Love that tomato, Al...just couldn't eat it at the moment.
Charleen, I love that pup T Bone, such a cute name too...

Hope you are still nice and warm, Jean...it's blowing a gale here now...
Sad about Colin Campbell isn't it...
Dianne.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 23, 2012
3:28 AM

Post #9250854

I had a great day at work today, to celebrate the shop being open a year they shouted the staff morning tea...
and gave us all gift vouchers for Ballantynes which is a very up market department store.
I was really surprised to see that it was worth $150.00!
I'll have to go in for a look around & see what appeals.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9251041

Oh, Dianne, that is sad news about Australia's gentleman gardener. I so enjoyed that program while I was in Brisbane. I did not realize he was 79.

Yes, Jean. There is beauty all around us, we but have to stop a moment to see it. It is also the interconnection that tickles me...Oh, that place reminds me of...another place. The way Sydney reminds me of San Franciso, CA or the scenery of Montana reminding me of the Northern Territory...

Teresa, what a lovely surprise for you, and a chance to get something really nice for yourself. Seems they value the hard work of their employees.

Hope you all have a lovely day...another weekend on the horizon.

Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 23, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9251491

Good morning everyone.
I am back with the heater again. It is freezing this morning.
Yesterday was a bit scary for a while.
I had a hairdressers appointment in Coleraine at 2pm. ( about 25 mins drive )
.It had been showering all morning , but not enough to make driving a problem.
I left here and about halfway over was suddenly innundated with the heaviest rain I have seen around here.
It was so windy, I had a job to hold the car on the road.
The rain was just about horizontal in the strong wind. So much rain I had to stop a couple of times due to very bad visibility.
By the time I arrived in Coleraine , the rain had eased and would you believe, the sun came out.
I was having a perm which takes about 2 hours. The whole time I was in the hairdressers, the sun was out .
As I was leaving, down came the rain in sheets again.
My hairdresser laughed and asked what bad things I must have done to upset the Man Upstairs...lol
Not so scary going home though.
Hubby was not worried about me as he had not had the wind and heavy rain at home, just rain showers.
Today I am feeling my shoulder because of having to hold the car on the road.
I will be doing nothing for a few days.
Last night was very wild and wet, but this morning the sun is coming out and I see blue sky.

I hope everyone else is okay and not in the middle of any bad weather.

Colleen, you could have kept that weather over there...lol

Teresa, I hope it doesnt get over the ditch to you.
Great to see you & the other staff being rewarded for your good work. What a lovely surprise .

Dianne, I hope the "staggered out "description was because you were full of food, not a few tipples...lol
I know what you mean, some of those places have wonderful meals.
Yes it is sad about Colin Campbell.. One of the sensible sort of garden experts.

Moon. You are so right about the similarity of places. I was looking at a show last night which was shot in a part of the USA and I said to hubby, how like our mallee country it was.
There is so much I would love to see but at least I have been around all the states but one here. . I just have to make it to Tassie .

Anthony, I hope you were all tucked up if that bad weather came your way. . Lots of liliums up here now.

Hello Sue, Al, and Charleen.
Keep safe and out of any bad weather.

I am going to see what is left in the kitchen for morning tea.
Enjoy this...Banana Chocolate Cake

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9251545

Sorry about the shoulder Jean. Rain like that is scary and more than a bit dangerous when you can't see.

We are watching to see what Tropical Storm Isaac is going to do. The image below shows the possible course. On the Louisiana map, I live just slightly southeast of the dot marking the capital.
http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20120823/NEWS01/120823002/Update-Tropical-Storm-Isaac-track-shifts-west-Florida-remains-its-possible-path

This message was edited Aug 23, 2012 6:01 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 23, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9251554

LoL, Jean...I didn't have room for a tipple either afterwards...but I had my favourite lemon, lime and bitters before...
The storm hit not long after I posted yesterday and it was a beauty...
That wind was very violent, wasn't it...

Nice little bonus, Teresa...enjoy spending it...
Tassie's forecast is for warmer weather than our's.
The Daffodils are out along the roadsides going to Ballarat and they look lovely with the yellow wildflowers and Wattles..when you see yellow everywhere in Spring, it really makes sense of use of that colour in our sporting uniforms...

I think it might be too cold to do any gardening outside today, so I'll bring my seeds and little pots inside...
Have a great weekend everyone.
Dianne.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 23, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9251558

I saw the report on that hurricane Moon, I was wondering how close it was to you...
I'll look at your link now...hope it turns back to the sea.
Dianne

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9251564

I do believe it will come ashore somewhere between Fla and Louisiana...hopefully it will remain a tropical storm.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 23, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9251572

Thinking of you, Moon. I hope Isaac decides to fade away before he can do any damage.

I am staying in near the heater here. Too windy & cold to do anything outside .

Jean.

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 24, 2012
2:53 AM

Post #9251909

lovely sunny day here today, work went well - I packed 6 boxes of drizabone jumpers & coats to go up to the Levin store & we had an order from the boss that I was able to pick, pack & have shipped within a few hours...
should make for a happy boss & happy customers.
Day off tomorrow, want to get some gardening done but have my Step dad's birthday get together in the afternoon so can't get too involved in getting dirty :)
The daffodils are really starting to look good so will get the camera out there & get some photos...
starting to feel like spring is nearly here - YAY!!!
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 24, 2012
2:54 AM

Post #9251911

Jean, I would welcome some rain,.Its just not happening,,.very cool again,.,I put in a heap more lilium seeds this week, even though it may be too early[so far-so good]-anthony
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 24, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9252467

Good morning everyone.
Cold & wet again but the wind has dropped.
Lots of blossom around so I feel like it is nearly Spring here.

Anthony, I tried pushing all the rain down to you but the darn wind kept pushing it back...lol

Glad you are having some sun Teresa.
Enjoy your day off.

Sue, where have you gone ?
Hope you are not too wet & wild there.

Hello Dianne, Colleen and Karen.

Moon, hope that hurricane has decided to leave you alone.
Keep safe.

Charleen, you will have a real little gnome community there soon.
You will have to start on the fairy folk then.

I am not doing too much at the moment.
Holding the car on the road in the storm the other day did not do my sore shoulder any good at all. .
Hopefully it will improve quickly .

I will leave this delicious and decadent treat for you all to enjoy for morning tea... Black Forest Cake.

Stay warm and safe
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 24, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9252640

some photos from this morning in the garden...

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 24, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9252813

Teresa, your hellebores are lovely under the tree, what is the yellow flower, for a minute I thought it might be some sort of Wintersweet, but not one that I'd seen before...

Yes chookie, where are you?
Karen and Colleen have been a bit quiet too...
Thank goodness for Charleen and Moon, Anthony and Al...

Hope that you ARE resting that shoulder today Jean, too cold to do anything else...
Do like me, a cuppa and a piece of that Black Forest cake...I just might have a piece of my granddaughter's first fruit cake too, even if it has got bright yellow icing on it...the cake tastes good...
Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 24, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9252825

Dianne, I remember one of my daughters, making a bright green icing for one of her first cakes.
Cake was lovely , but the icing color was a bit of a turn off...lol

Funny how color affects us when eating things..

I am resting the shoulder ,. Its too b*** sore to do anything .
I did manage to iron hubbies trousers.
I told him next time , but non iron ones...
Jean.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 24, 2012
9:54 PM

Post #9252859

The mad lilium seed planter is going beresque ,again.,.,.and so is the mad lilium bulb buyer.,.I struck a deal with the local vets surgery, that if they advertise our 2 posters[spring n summer] in the waiting room, then I would supply a fresh potted lilium weekly, from November to January, to brighten up the place[and the poor people, when they get their vet bill]''maybe I should just supply a hospital stretcher'' to lay them on!!!!!-Anthony
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9252862

We simmered off two vats of spagetti sauce today. It took a while with the hand powered grinder to remove all the skins and seeds. We're getting the crop cleaned off a bit because we're leaving Monday on a road trip to Nova Scotia on the Canadian Atlantic coast. It will be a long trek, we plan on about 2 weeks or so. I'll have my camera and laptop computer, will try to keep in touch with ya'all if I can find the connection.

I brought along a sample of our Bruchetta to try with your biscuits for a snack. It's got fresh tomatoes, basil, and garlic, along with some Italian seasonings. Enjoy!

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 24, 2012
11:02 PM

Post #9252873

Look out everyone. Anthony, the mad lilium man is out and about again as Spring creeps up...lol
Yes, a strecher may be better, I had a taste of vet bills years ago..

Al, we may have to adopt you as a guest cook for the Tea Room...That sauce sounds delicious
I helped some Italian friend many years ago with the making of their spaghetti sauce. Messy , but great fun. ..Yumm

Have a great time on your trip. We look forward to seeing a few pics later.

Jean.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 25, 2012
2:16 AM

Post #9252896

Looks [and sounds] good Al,.Im hungry again, and Ive only just finished tea.,.,I 'DO' love my food, but the 'doc' says it doesnt love me!!!-Anthony Jean-The rains r here,.little 'voilent' squally showers on and off,, loving it ,my lilies should be impressed.,.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 25, 2012

Post #9252903

Hello again. I'm still here but very very tired. Took a little meander down the back yard and found a few bits and pieces in flower. Lovely to see Spring in the air. It was a beautiful day too.

Jean, I know driving can wrench my shoulder too, but driving in those conditions must have been dreadful. Hope you don't suffer more than usual from it.

Moon, keep safe. I am so grateful we don't get hurricanes here. Must be so scary.

Dwarf peach tree blossoms. Doesn't mean I'll get fruit though. Looks like the other one lost its fruit when they started to set too early this year.
Epiphyllum Pink Snowflake. An early bird indeed.
Pink Rock Orchids in bloom. Always a pleasure to see them in flower.
King Orchid. This is the second year in a row that its flowered. Must have liked all the rain early in the year.

Karen

This message was edited Aug 25, 2012 2:58 AM

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9253070

Al, have a grand vacation. Be safe and have a lovely time with the Poker friends. The Bruchetta mix certainly looks tasty.

Anthony, sounds like a good deal with the Vet office...I envy them...they will have your lovely lilliums to brighten their office.

Thanks Karen. I find them a bit scary also, but so far we have been very lucky here. We have lived in south LA since I was 6 years old...I guess you just get used to the "drill". While there have been some major Hurricanes since 1957, we have been fortunate to sustain only minor damage in all that time. Our hurricanes are the same as your cyclones and the typhoons that occur in the Philippines and China. I know I was concerned for Queensland with Yasi. I do hope you start feeling stronger and better soon.The flowers are lovely...you must enjoy the shades of pinks and purples.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-a-hurricane-cyclone-and-typhoon.htm

Teresa, your hellebores are just lovely. I know you are pleased to get your garden back from all the construction.

Jean and Dianne, I had to laugh at the cake frosting colors. When my DD was 12 she wanted to bake a birthday cake for her brother..."all by herself". She chose to make a red frosting, his favorite color. It would not turn red enough for her, so she used an entire bottle of red food coloring...that was the most bitter frosting ever...but her loving family ate it...and she tasted one bite and scraped off the frosting...GRIN

Hello to our missing Tea Room friends...hope all is well with you.

Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 25, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9253492

Good morning everyone.
If this winter weather keeps up I will be a real couch potato.
I am getting very restless , being unable to get into the garden and potter around.

Moon , I hope you are hanging on tightly to everything. I see that Florida is getting ready for the arrival of Isaac.
We wish all our US friends well as he hits the land and hopefully fizzles out.

Hubby is off to run a CFA fire excercise today , so I had better pop off and get things ready for him.

Hello to all and I hope you are all feeling well and happy.
See you later.

Heres a nibble for morning tea... Chocolate Eclairs
Keep safe
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9253511

Other than some wind and possible rain, at this point it doesn't look like Isaac will pose much problem here...unless it decides to do a real twist when it hits the warm Gulf waters. May cause some nasty weather for the republican national convention due to start Monday in south east Florida.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 25, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9253733

lovely sunny day here :)
made for an enjoyable time at dog training.
Sugar was so good, it seems the light bulb has come on at last.

Dianne - you are close with winter sweet for the yellow flower, it is actually winter hazel.
I'd never heard of it but through the helpful souls here was able to id it.

I'd love a winter sweet, the scent is just wonderful.
I have a witch hazel that has lovely orange flowers but no scent.
With all the construction I missed seeing it this year.

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre      

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 25, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9253764

witch hazel in the snow

Thumbnail by dalfyre

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

August 25, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9253794

Sorry I appeared and disappeared my youngest daughter was rushed to hospital and I was a bit distracted until she was out and Ok, and the weather has been so bad I have been frozen stiff.Gosh it has been wild here.
It looks like I need to return to Perth soon but will take my ipad so I can keep in touch though I am not sure if I can post on here with it. I will be sorry to miss Spring in my garden ,I haven't had a full Spring here yet!

Cathy is really doing it hard and it has gone on for a long time and she is getting too depressed again.They have discovered after a year that she also has torn ligaments in her shoulder from the accident, they thought it was just referred pain from the neck injury and didn't check for a year!! All this time her arm has been swelling and going down and up again, they just told her to bandage her wrist! and the pain has been bad. They have her on very strong pain meds again so she cannot drive still- so hard on all of them.

I wish she would come here as she needs to get out of her house for a while but she seems to have too many appointments with Drs to be able to leave.She is under the Pain clinic, a specialist, a psychiatrist and a GP all of whom seem to only treat their own bits.GRRR To say nothing of Centrelink and the accident people who are no help at all. Though at least she has home help two hours a week now.
The two kids are not helping either, being teens they just want Mum to be normal. Toby is doing his final year at high school so will be finished in November but Laura is just 13 and neither want to leave their friends of course - So I go to them again.
Sorry I shouldn't vent but it is frustrating in the extreme to watch your child suffer and be able to do nothing to help.

My garden is starting to look like Spring is coming , one almond & plum are in full blossom, others almost there, plus crocus and daffs out. Rhodo and camellias about to burst into bloom too. I planted some cutting of a black mulberry from a neighbours tree so will see if they take. The mandarin I broke has survived my three weeks away and it looks like my bandaging has saved it which is good news.

Cackleberry Castle is going well and Lord Jima nd his ladies are happy there. I aqm getting eggs galore nw they have settled down. LJ and Dolly's eggs are as white as Lulu's are brown - such a contrast. I am sure that ELJay and Dolly are Old English Game hens- their tails are cocked right up and colouring is almost exact. Lord Jim is maybe a cross off OEG - he is a little oversized I think. His tail has begun to grow back as I knew it would, just a few more feathers and he will be back to normal again. They like the yard but are happier when the weather is bad to be able to come and go into the 'castle' through the lift-up trapdoor.

I too am planning a trip next year to Tassie Dianne, It will be a fossicking trip though. I did manage to pick up some rocks in Brisbane from a market there and from a Gem club sale. so I have some to be going on with my carving ow. Here is one I carved from soapstone.Not quite finished yet I have to tone down the jawline and the back hip a bit but won't polish this as the fine detail of the fur would polish away I think.The next one will be out of pink quartz.

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2         

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 25, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9253824

Glad to see you popping in Sue. It can be a nightmare with injuries and having similar to your daughter I do sympathise.

Pain is a drag on the system so you go where needed and we will see you when you get back.

Love your carving.

Glad the chooks are settling in too.

You will soon be able to settle back into a routine when all is well again with your daughter.
Keep smiling.

Teresa, I love the look of your hellebores. and that yellow blossom.
My hellebores are looking cute, all hanging their shy heads.

Moon, glad to hear you may not have any serious trouble with Isaac.
I hope he fizzles quickly.

Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 25, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9253853

Sue - now that they know your daughter has torn ligaments in her shoulder perhaps they will be able to finally do something to help her!
It is awful being in pain but so much worse when you don't know what is causing it & the Dr.s tell you it's nothing .

I love that soapstone carving, you are very talented.

Hubby had to go back to work as the machine sent an alarm text saying it had a broken tool.
I fell asleep until he got back home & reminded me I wanted to do the lawns.
I did ask him this morning to make sure I didn't forget, the grass was so long I left the blades pretty high so they will probably need to be cut again in a few days.
If the weather stays dry that is...

the lawns look better & it makes cleaning up after the dogs easier.
I also discovered how badly cut up the front lawn is where the concrete truck ran over it.
The ground was so soft that it's a wonder they weren't bogged...
although looking at the wheel ruts - maybe they were.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 25, 2012
10:40 PM

Post #9253905

Hello again. So sorry to hear of your daughters shoulder problem, Sue. I do hope the coming warmer weather will help everyone with joint problems feel a lot better and far less pain. The present fluctuation between warm and cool and windy doesn't help my shoulder either. Better times are coming. I really do wish I could carve like that. Just don't have the knack.

Have been driving around just looking just to get out of the house and it is wonderful to see the baby birds (such as ducklings) and other birds gathering nesting materials. The pretty wattles are finished but the scraggy bush wattle is out now and it is amazing how much of it there is around. Good season for allergies?

Moon, I did see where Florida is preparing for Isaac. Let's hope and pray he doesn't cause any damages.

Hello everyone else. I am sorry I'm not very chatty lately. Maybe Spring will bring some good vibes with it and invite me to dance on the grass.

Take care
Karen

Does anyone know the name of this weed? I used to have it growing down the back, and the butterflies that love it were here too, but the weed has long gone and the butterflies with it.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 25, 2012
11:32 PM

Post #9253914

Your daughter has had a bad run, chookie...hopefully now they will be able to help her...
i know that she needs you but it must be frustrating for you, just getting your property the way you want it and you have to leave it again...Do you have a neighbour who can look after the chooks?
Good that your Mandarin has mended...the carvings are lovely...
Is the pink quartz hard to carve, it looks as though it would shatter easily?...

Karen, we have lots of cygnets everywhere here and you look at them and their black, beautiful parents and wonder how they could ever change into swans...makes me think of that Danny Kaye song about the Ugly Duckling...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMKxnYRhk6I
That weed looks like a Lantana, but the leaves are different, though I couldn't really make out if the flowers were attached to those strappy leaves or growing amongst them...

Al, sounds as though you are going to have a great 2 weeks...what is it, poker all night, touring all day and sampling the local foods whenever...try to send some pics if you can and have a safe trip.

Moon, let's hope Isaac doesn't touch down at all and does no damage...
Went to the Portarlington market this morning but it was too cold to walk around, the wind was coming straight off the sea, so grabbed some hot donuts and came home...
Dianne.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2012 5:35 PM
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 26, 2012
3:57 AM

Post #9253958

A Quiet day, Snowing down to 200 m this morning at 6.30,.., I thought, 'stuff the market', Ill just get the necessities and go home.[where its warm],.Organised my excess pots to donate to LV garden club-about 60.,.Im glad to clear some space,,,., If only you knew, what I have ordered!!!- TO FILL THESE SPACES-.,. Went out to Rodrigos today and did a 1hr course on 'daffodil setting and placement'- for the show..It was brilliant!!,.,.anyway, ive 3 miniatures in the fridge and am going into it with a cool casual approach,.,.Taking Friday off- going for bloods tests, then tax return...Had hoped to be able to book in to get my will done, but not enough time[maybe December]I reckon, i'll last that long,.,.,.Anyway after that, Its all Daffodil show[a weekend that is totally lost]-Anthony
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9254178

Who said anything about Poker? Don't play much, and I'm really bad at it. I will be testing the local seafood, though, and it should be very good. We're off early tomarrow morning.

Al

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9254227

Sorry Al...I guess my brain must be wandering...I thought I remembered you saying you and your wife were off on a vacation and would be meeting up with some of her on-line poker buddies for a couple days...guess sometimes I just wander into the Twilight Zone. Now I wonder where I read that...????
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 26, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9254562

Good morning everyone.
Fine but cold yesterday and looks like being the same today.
I may talk myself into getting out in the shadehouse for a while to get those seeds all done.
Then again, I may not. Had a bad night last night , having to get up twice for painkillers.
I hate taking pills so didnt like the idea but needed them.

Al , have a great time and try lots of seafood.
I love seafood especially prawns & crayfish ( lobster over your way )
Its a pity hubby doesnt do any fishing these days .

Moon, havent seen the news this morning but I do hope Isaac is not doing too much harm where ever he is now.
Keep safe.

Hello Dianne. You went to a market and came home without a plant ?? It must have been very cold..lol

Anthony, You have space ????? Look out more liliums. You simply cannot have an empty space.
Wishing you well for the Daff show.

Hello Karen, keep taking things easy. Si tin the garden andwatch the flowers grow.

Hello Colleen , hope your back is slowly improving

Teresa, sounds like Sugar has found her brain. Typical teenager, having to grow into it.

Hello everyone else. heres your morning tea treat... Apple Shortcake, with Passionfruit Icing..

Stay safe and warm everyone.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

August 26, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9254665

Hi Everyone,Thanks for the supportive comments from all. I have a few weeks at home now but am booking for Perth this week to go at end of month when Cathy needs a driver as her best friend and school drop off ally is off overseas.

Yes Dianne my neighbour is just over the fence and he and his children like watching my chooks for me. They eat a lot of eggs so I pass on the egg overflow too. I added a pumpkin and some carrots from the harvest for them yesterday.I keep telling them to help themselves from the garden but they don't. My handyman also looks in on the chooks and to admire his handywork in the castle so they are well cared for, but not bonding with me yet at all of course. LOL

Anthony I read that you had snow down to 200mt wow that uis cold and you need rain they say too?Does the melted snow help a bit? Good luck with your daffs- they add such cheer to life.

Carving Rose Quartz is new to me but from what I read it is not hard and doesn't crack too badly. It is easier than it appears - so they say! LOL Time will tell. I am looking at the stone and wondering what I see in it- A hen maybe? LOL I wonder what you all see in it?
I am looking forward to seeing how transparent it will turn out when I carve it.

Thumbnail by chookie2

katciao
Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9254700

Karen, that's milkweed and I have it here in Bris. Can send you some seeds when it gets pods. I have actually just cut a big clump down..but never pull out the roots. Is it any wonder the Mr Anal next door who whippersnips every day is a bad mix with us? Jungle in our place, boring there...and then there's the parking terrorist otr.You can draw the short straw but we drew two..Lol. We just ignore them but some of their antics/ demands are quite funny..and ludicrous...eg..parked their car right up on top of ours with about eight feet in front of theirs (did have ours the wrong way to stop their towbar hitting..Lol..because our towbar is bigger, SHE came over to demand I move our car straight away as we'd damage theirs. Almost laughed but they are serious! So, you country living folk, I often dream of vast spaces and no neighbours but we are so close to everything here and the terrain is pretty awesome for a city..and we have the UQ lake and parklands just over the bridge .Must admit, do get a bit stirred up when otf (over the fence) poisons potted bamboo...and has recently poisoned the enormous wall of bougainvillea we have in our part of the gully. Just as it's starting to flower..usually a big cascade of purple. Just hates bougainvillea wherever it is..so now, I have falling leaves and dropping flowers and bare canes as tall as several storeys ahnging in the trees and it will mean the cat's claw creeper will take over. Where's the logic in that?

Sorry to hear of people's troubles..Chookie, hope your daughter finds relief. Hope everyone is happy and well. We have had some awesome weather here. Bit cloudy today
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2012
2:10 AM

Post #9254995

Anthony, I wouldn't survive if it snowed here! Our houses are built like wooden tents. We have
a fireplace but what's the point as the place is so big and open. The ceiling would be the only thing that got warm..12 feet up.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 27, 2012
2:40 AM

Post #9255001

Actually, this year, I am not noticing the cold as much,,, my body is following my brain[senile],.We dont see the snow down this far very much.,. back in 86 it snowed to sea level,..,really threw everyone into a spin..Our house is 2 storey brick fully insulated, wood fired and always at least a ton of[good dry] wood out-back.,The fire burns non stop for 8-9 months and when ''MR FROSTY' yawns, I just shove another log in.,.,.Anthony
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 27, 2012
2:55 AM

Post #9255004

the dogs are enjoying their rawhide chew bones, every so often Copper tries to steal Sugar's & she will growl at him...
at other times she waves it at him & teases him into chasing her.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 27, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9255963

Good morning everyone.
The sun is shining. I had forgotten what it looked like. Lots of cloud out there so not really Spring yet.
I did get about the garden yesterday to throw the snail pellets around. Lots of slugs raising their slimy heads out there.
I had to water a couple of the brugs in pots as they are under the cypress and didnt get a lot of rain.

I also weeded a small part of the front garden. Will do the rest today.
It was lucky having a dry end to Autumn as I was able to get the Roundup onto the weeds back then.
It means they a re so much smaller now and not as thick.

Anthony, I am just the opposite. I feel the cold more each year. You must be getting younger not older..lol

Teresa, I am so glad to hear that Sugar is being nice to you now.
The two of them must be fun to watch.

Moon, hope all is well with you. Stay safe there.

Hello Dianne, Sue, Karen, Colleen and Al.

Charleen, Where is Charley ? I havent seen him for a few days.
I hope the hurricane didnt frighten him .
Give all the furry ones a pat for me.

Better move myself and see what I can give you all for morning tea. ...Blueberry Scones.
I will then get motivated to get out and finish weeding.
At least that is something I can do without using my sore arm...lol

Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

August 27, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9256108

Hi Everyone, Lovely sunny cool morning here, have been up since 6am -early for me ! LOL Let the chooks out of their pen to a sunny grassy yard and they love it.
Yesterday I spread lots of mulch around and began the new garden along the new back fence. I will plant it up with edibles that don't grow too high as the neighbours cows will just trim them over the top if they grow too high.
I will need to move the small fig tree to espalier it as it is too far from the fence but it is still dormant so won't be a problem.

Now the sun is out and I am sure Spring will come I am thinking of my vegie plantings and will get started on a little set up for seed raising under glass- tomatoes, pumpkins eggplant etc. I have planty of window glass around, I have used polystrene boxes with glass over the top in the past bunt to make something more permanent this time.

Gosh in 3 weeks away the weeds really took over in some places.I have that awful sticky weed that seems to climb into everything ( but is easy to pull out) and another ground cover type with tiny blue flowers that I am digging out before it sets seed- it is everywhere - and I didn't have it at all last year so it must have come in with compost or manure I guess.

My Fuchsia cuttings are all taking and growing well so will have plenty to share soon. I still need to plant out the Loganberry and boysenberries along the chook fence today so better get to it.
Have a good day everyone.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2012
11:45 PM

Post #9256521

Thanks Kat. I thought it might be milkweed. I used to have it growing here, but long gone now. I spotted this on a farm we were driving by and the butterfly too. Just a bit of nostalgia for what once was but is no more. So no seeds, I'm sorry.

I was amazed to see many of my epis now starting to bud. It is a bit early, isn't it?

Sounds like everyone is getting into Spring mode. Won't be long now. I can't get excited about it as I don't know if I'll be moved out or not yet. They say we should know by the end of October.

Meanwhile, more weeds are taking over here. Does anyone know what this one is with its small daisy like flowers? The lower one is that awful ground cover that gets the 3 petalled blue flowers.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 28, 2012

Post #9257374

Good morning everyone. A fine day yesterday without too much wind. The sun even came out for a few hours.
I did a bit of weeding and planted some seeds.
Today I will be starting the big move for the brugs.
Some are coming out of the shadehouse and will be going along the semi sheltered path behind a fence .
Hopefully this will shelter them from all the hot wind during summer.
Its time they all got out in the world and learned how to grow tall.

I have a couple of flowers about to open on the white suaveolens. .
GHA , Mango Cornet & BB are still going with buds & flowers and I see that Clementine has put a lot of buds on again.
She puts them on then throws them off. Naughty girl.

One of the knightiis has a bud opening also. A bit small but still a flower.

I have some seedlings in the greenhouse which need to go into big pots. They have grown so much over winter.

Lots of other flower seeds to get in the ground too. Busy busy.

Hello to everyone coming in for a cuppa.

Dianne, Teresa, Karen, Anthony, Al Karen & Kat.

Charleen & Moon , keep safe there.

Enjoy this ...Cinnamon Teacake

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 28, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9257443

Morning all,
Not looking too good for the US coastline with Isaac on it's way...it must be very scary for those who have decided to stay. On the news this morning, they said it would touchdown tomorrow sometime...
Hope it doesn't get near to you or any of your family, Moon.

My Epis are budding up too, Karen...looking forward to their flowers...
I have a few potting jobs this morning too Jean,

At the doctor's yesterday a young mother came in with her children, 5 daughters aged from 10 down to 2...it was such a pleasure to listen to the girls chatting and looking after each other...they were so polite, I said to their mother how lovely I thought they were, she laughed and said that people usually think it's funny, that she had 5 girls...
It is so rare these days to see families with 5 kids, much less all girls...Ray was horrified at the thought of when they get to be teenagers...what a chicken..lol
Keep well everyone.
Dianne.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9257636

Thanks Dianne, but actually, it is expected to move right over the top of us later tonight (Tuesday). Gone to bring somewhere between 12 and 20 inches of rain to the area. This storm has a spread of about 900Km and has spread squalls all the way to the Atlantic Coast, causing flooding in S Carolina. It is predicted to push on land and continue across Louisiana up into Arkansas, Tenn, Missouri, Illinois and maybe as far north as Michigan. Those areas have been in a drought and could really use the rain. It will be interesting over the next week, as we have rainfall every day through Sunday before the outer bands clear us.

Moon

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9258191

Charley is out there rambling along in the pasture.
Abigail in the dogpen with Dufess.
I've been collecting seed for seed swap.
i don't think they are going to let me post a picture.
But we are all fine...
Love and nuzzles to all...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 29, 2012

Post #9258530

Good morning everyone.
A wild and woolly nigh there. It is still raining but the wind has dropped.
I should not complain a sit is nowhere as bad as our US friends are getting.
Being battered by Isaac on one side and toasted by fire on the other.
I just hope that is all they get . Saw a show the other day about what would happen if Yellowstone erupted.
My goodness, I just thought...we live in the middle of a huge volcanic area too.
Mother Nature sure can put on a tantrum when she wants..

Shopping day today, so I had better go and see what is in the kitchen for morning tea.

Aha...I found something nice for you all. ...Chocolate Ginger Slice.

Stay safe and warm ..I hope I can find an orphan today but the plant section is hardly there any more..

Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 29, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9258539

Tea's made, Jean...it's a cold one here...
I have to vacuum, so I'm putting it off...
Isaac certainly is dumping a lot of water, just saw a little town with water up to the roof...no one hurt thank goodness...

Talking of tea, I've changed my brand...I've been drinking Liptons for years and it seems to have an after taste, so gone back to good ol' Bushells...perfect.
The only coffee that I like is a Cappucino, with a big frothy top...

Charleen keep posting, we can look on FB for your pics...

Anthony, did you like Ratten? looks like you might get Malthouse and Cloke...personally I wouldn't give 5 cents for Cloke, never been a fan of his...
I don't know why but the clubs never let their coaches go with any dignity...Essendon and Geelong were the same...

Well the Dyson is waiting...bah...
Back later.
Dianne.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 29, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9258618

Good morning everyone. The hurricane season has arrived and I just hope and pray that all will be safe with our friends overseas. I have a BIL and family living in South Carolina but they are usually safe apart from a flooded basement every now and then.

Not a lot happening here. Its all a waiting game, waiting for the buds to bloom so I can start snapping pics again. Spring is such a beautiful time of the year but is a bit slow to bring on the flowers in this area. It is good to see some iron barks in flower so the nectar eating birds are getting a nice feed. Spotted some Scarlet Honeyeaters in a paperbark tree on one of our walks recently. Beautiful little birds.

Keep well and happy.
Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong      

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9258638

Hi to you all from wet windy So Louisiana. It started raining yesterday evening a little before 5PM...25 hours later it is still raining and doesn't look like stopping anytime soon. Lost electricity around 1AM, but have a generator so milk stays cold and coffee is hot. GRIN

Karen, I saw on the news last night that Charleston, S Carolina had flooding as a result of early bands of rain from Isaac. This rascal has dropped more rain across the southern US and isn't finished yet...predictions are that it could travel to the north and brings rains to a half dozen more states.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 30, 2012
12:53 AM

Post #9259001

well I am a bit stiff & sore thanks to a stupid car driver who pulled in front of the bus I was on.
Bus driver hit the brakes, I hit the seat in front of me & have wrenched muscles in my shoulders & neck.
Had to take yesterday off work as I just couldn't move without pain.
Today was better & the Dr gave me stronger pain killers to use & a referral for Physio if I don't improve in the next couple of days.

The dogs liked me being home but Sugar couldn't figure out why I wouldn't play tug with her, funny wee thing kept bringing her rope toy over & pushing it toward my hands...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 30, 2012
1:42 AM

Post #9259002

I had to do somewhat the same thing in the truck yesterday,.A stupid turbin headed taxi driver with no indicators.,Im really getting sick of these twits, they shouldnt be issued an australian license,..,Dianne,This Carlton business seems to be an inside job [im disgusted in the deliberate tanking last weekend] Not sure if I can put up with 'Malty Milkshakes Mentality'
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9259106

We're well into our trip in the northeast, now in Ste. Johns, New Brunswick Canada. Crossed the border yesterday afternoon. Weather has been great for traveling so far. Hope everybody in the southland is doing fine, Charleen and Charley might be in natures path also, but I haven't heard from her lately. Good to see you on Moon.

Lots of ships and boats here, as always we're on a lighthouse quest of the eastern states. I'll post some up when get a minutes chance. Nice day Everyone!

BTW, they make the world famous Ganong Chocolates at a huge factory right here in St. Stephen. We just had to take the tour, they were serving chocolate samples throughout their entire history. Impressive tour indeed! Very quaint little town on the seaside to walk around, too.

Al

This message was edited Aug 30, 2012 11:39 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 30, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9259620

Good morning everyone.
Its a very dull morning here after a wet & windy night.
Not pleasant gardening weather.

Al, I wish I could join you on your trip. Sounds fascinating.
The chocolate place would have been a favorite for me,,,yummm

Love lighthoses. They are so impressive standing alone on far corners of land.
There is one not that far from here but you cannot go inside.
I used to stay in a caravan park next to one and loved to see the light .
It was always a beacon showing where home was when coming back from a trip.

Charleen and Moon, I hope you are both doing okay during Isaac's visit. We are all thinking of you .

Hello Teresa, I hope you are feeling much better . Not a nice thing to happen.

Anthony, you take care of yourself too.

Seems to be the year of injuries and pain. Hope the rest of the year tuns out better for everyone.

Hello Dianne, Karen, Kat, Sue and all looking in.

I will put out something nice for you all ...yummy Layer Cake...( with lots of cream ).

Please help yourself to some cake and and take your chairs over to the new place.

This is where we have gone..
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1277846/

Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Dianegai
Grafton
Australia

August 30, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9259653

Hi now that spring has sprung Im looking for any hippeastrum bulbs or seeds to buy can anyone help me
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 30, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9259696

Ooh, I see we have a new page. See you there.
Karen

This message was edited Aug 30, 2012 4:05 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 218 Jan 22, 2014 3:49 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America