Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tropical Plants: Attempting to graft a Rainbow Shower Tree

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 2, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cactusflower2
Camarillo, CA

July 25, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9218831

Hello all!
I live in Southern California and am going to attempt to graft a rainbow shower tree (Cassia x nealiae). I am wondering what type of tree to use for rootstock. Any input would be helpful as I am a complete novice. I am transporting the cutting from HI. (the USDA said it would be okay)

I may have answered my own question. I'm thinking of using a Gold Medallion Tree (Cassia leptophylla). Any opinions?

Thank you!

This message was edited Jul 25, 2012 7:59 PM

This message was edited Jul 25, 2012 9:13 PM

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 26, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9219322

Just curious why you'd want to graft your cutting onto something else? Why not just root it and let it grow on its own rootstock?

Here's the entry from Plant Files for Cassia x nealiae http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/69494/ If you read the reviews below the plant description, there are a couple from people who have rooted them with no trouble. With your dry-ish air in SoCal you might have to make a little tent for it to keep the humidity up until it is well rooted, though. Both Hawaii and Florida have a lot more humidity than you do.

In trying to graft it, I'd think you'll risk losing your cutting if the graft doesn't take. If it does, the Gold Medallion you graft it onto might overwhelm your Rainbow Shower if it is more vigorous, or simply because it's already established.
cactusflower2
Camarillo, CA

July 26, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9219696

I appreciate your reply, Dyzz.

I hadn't really considered rooting a cutting. When I look up the propagation of these sterile Rainbow Showers, I only really see air-layering or grafting as the methods used. I have no idea why this is.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America