Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Fruits and Nuts: Which Fig??

Communities > Forums > Fruits and Nuts
bookmark
Forum: Fruits and NutsReplies: 3, Views: 101
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9219119

I had figs in California, but in Michigan, which ones will survive in our cold and snow?
Blueberry1264
McMinnville, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9220165

You might try 'Chicago Hardy'. It is rated as one of the most cold hardy varieties.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9231750

I have Chicago Hardy in Connecticut in zone 6b and it does fine without any wrapping. In a really cold year it will die back almost to the ground - but it still comes back and produces smallish figs every year. I let it grow in bush shape - but if I wanted a tree - I would probably wrap it in the winter.

medlarman

medlarman
Fairfax, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9233300

My parents (whose zone recently switched from 6b to 7) have three Brown Turkeys, two with southern exposure near the house and one a north-facing slope. All are enormous. The northerly one bears a little bit later and a little bit less, but then again it's also younger. They did need protection for the first couple years, but since then have easily made it through the winter.

Edited to add - Oh! I just noticed you are in zone 5. I think that unless you can provide them with an amazing microclimate, you're not going to able to have them permanently in the ground. Keeping them in a big pot and moving them into the garage may be your best bet. I remember reading a story about Italian immigrants to New England who would dig up their figs and then lay them lengthwise on the ground, protected under a pile of dry leaves.

There's an interesting discussion here about hardy figs: http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=4171849

This message was edited Aug 7, 2012 4:16 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fruits and Nuts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Fruit Trees forum! dave 36 Feb 14, 2008 2:20 PM
spraying trees notmartha 18 Mar 29, 2009 1:52 PM
plum tree-loaded! notmartha 50 Sep 5, 2007 1:57 PM
Anyone have PawPaw fruit? crestedchik 67 Feb 29, 2008 2:08 AM
Strawberry Predator? TuttiFrutti 2 Aug 17, 2008 3:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America