Photo by Melody

Rhododendrons and Relatives: What are you taking cuttings of this year?

Communities > Forums > Rhododendrons and Relatives
bookmark
Forum: Rhododendrons and RelativesReplies: 2, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9219253

Right now is about the time I get tired of watering and weeding and find myself wondering what else is there to do?

I'm thinking propagation by cuttings, why not!!!

Are there any other DGers that undertake this every year? What roots best for you? Technique? Hoop house in a gallon liner? Greenhouse?

Paul

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9235846

Rhodie cuttings? I've never done it before, so I'm testing out layering for one of mine. We'll see how it works! Of course, I don't remember what color this particular plant bloomed. I should really look at the pics from spring.
arfitz
Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9246794

Hi Paul,
The time of year is very important to take cuttings because if the cutting roots it must break from its stem into new branches before the frost sets in or it will not survive. We are
at about the end of the time you can expect that new growth. I use a plastic bin with a clear cover. I drill at least 10x 1/2" holes and use a rooting mixture in the bottom 5"of peat and perlite in a 50-50mix. They usually root in about 4-6 weeks and should be brought into a non freezing area like a garage for the Winter. In the Spring after there is no danger of frost, placed in a shady spot where there is no direct sun such as the North or East side of the house until the season is over after 23 years they can be left on their own.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rhododendrons and Relatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Azaleas and Rhododendrons Pete2 47 Nov 27, 2013 1:35 PM
Encore azaleas rylaff 11 Oct 22, 2007 12:22 PM
St.Louis Rhodo Fantatic declfi 19 Aug 22, 2008 7:04 PM
Pruning Azaleas gailgalex 7 Feb 12, 2008 4:36 AM
Zone envy celt33040 8 Apr 1, 2007 6:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America