Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

calendula and candytuft

Grand Saline, TX(Zone 7b)

I've been collecting a long list of plants for companion planting. Will be winter sowing the seeds.
I'm weeding out my list :0) Looking for only carefree, easy plants. Two on my list, I'm unfamiliar with, candytuft and calendula. Plantfiles doesn't have, or very few, zipcode reports of either. Should I just cut these from my list?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Calendula does best in fall planting, then dies back in the spring. It can't handle the heat. Candytuft does better, but flees when it gets really hot. Maybe if it was planted in the shade of some plants it might work, but I've never had luck with growing it through the summer.

Thank you, Stephanie. Just what I needed to know and feared. I still have plenty of others choices that will do better with heat and sun. I'll nix these from the list.

Dallas, TX

I like Candytuff too. It takes off great, then I dont see it anymore.

I vaguely remember seeing it the garden centers, just don't remember what has made me pass it up. Is it labeled as an annual in garden centers?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.