Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Fall Swap at Sallys- DISCUSSION about your haves and wants

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 340, Views: 2,273
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9219348

Here we talk about what we have to offer and what we might want. This helps keep the HAVES and WANTS thread simpler for easier browsing.
Ask questions like-
"'How many of those daylilies can you spare? I want to cover a whole bank"
"Hey Elwood, That farfle flower you are offering, is it really shade tolerant?"

Thumbnail by sallyg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9220137

SSG, I would love some of your Cactus Soil. I just love that stuff it is wonderful.
How long do you want your Bamboo Poles. I am sure we can get more.
UMD_Terp, What color is your Peony?
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9220139

Holly, I'll bring a batch of the cactus soil. I don't have a lot of plants to offer yet, so I'm glad to have something I can share. :)

I need a couple of 6 feet poles and some 4 feet ones.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9220142

Ok I should be able to get them. Oh that cactus soil is just wonderful. I am really happy to get more.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9220147

My best guest is pink.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9220211

SS - could I beg 1 or 2 Dwarf Cavendish banana pups from you...
and Donner - some of your Coneflower (pink flowers) please and thank you?

This message was edited Jul 27, 2012 8:18 AM
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9220220

Sure, Chantell!

Does anyone know a good source with videos/pics that describes exactly how you're supposed to dig out the bananas pups? I'd like to make sure they survive for you! Or should I post this question in the MidAt Tropicals forum?
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9220229

What are banana pups?

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9220234

'pups' are the babies that sprout off of the mama plant.

SS - ummm I was never successful at that so I will defer to someone more knowledgeable...and thank you btw. http://www.bananas.org/f2/time-separate-pups-spring-1814.html

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9220248

Chantell, will tag coneflowers for you.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9220310

Donnerville, I'd love some shasta daisies and bleeding hearts.

Are calla lilies hardy in this area?

And did your Joe Pye weed come up for you?
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9220314

Chantell, is the variegated grass for the shade or sun? And about how tall? Does it do ok in the clay?
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9220360

I'd love shastas as well!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9220401

SS - it's in clay - mostly sun and is maybe 18" - 24" tall

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9220496

SSG, I will dig up some shasta daisies for you. The callas are not hardy in my area. They can survive winters in sallyg's garden as she is closer to the ocean. One of the divisions of the big joe pye weed survived the move last year and the other one didn't. So I have a much smaller plant now :-(. It is getting ready to bloom and I am reluctant to divide it now. I will see if I can divide a piece for you after it goes dormant and before the ground freezes. I will put a note in my calendar as a reminder.

UMD_Terp, I will also tag shastas for you.

This message was edited Jul 27, 2012 1:21 PM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9220501

Great!! Thanks!

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9220627

Callas can stay in the ground in zones 8 - 10.. I plant mine in pots so I don't have to dig them up to overwinter. I just put the pots into an unheated garage that is attached to the house and warmer that outdoors in winter.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9220781

I can also dig up some Shastas. It is quite hard once they become so extremely
root-bound like mine are--but I will manage...

If I can get to these--and IF they grow some new foliage and look like plants--
I want to also get rid of my Alaska daisies. Grew them from seed a few years ago.
These grow tall and lanky (maybe b/c I have them in my YUK bed) and only bloom once a season.
Otherwise, they look just like Shasta Daisies--just not as sturdy.
Maybe they need the Alaska climate? Not the 100* Baltimore one???

Will have asst. loose bulbs ---some baby CC's in 4"pots (if anyone is interested)---etc...
haven't really given this much thought yet...there's time...
Of course--Chantelle--I will have the bulbs for you from the fragrant Double Daffodil "earlicheer.
I can dig up another clump or so--if anyone else is dying to have some.
By now--with all the foliage gone--it will be a guessing game WHERE there are more bulbs.

I also have 3 small Wintersweet plants--going on 2 years now. About 6" tall.

More later! Gita

DON'T FORGET TO WATCH THE OLYMPIC OPENING CEREMONIES TONIGHT AT 7:30PM.
You DON'T want to miss these!!!

Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9220787

I would love a winter sweet plant! I'd try the Alaska daises. And any other bulbs. If somebody wants some tulips I have a handful. No idea on the color.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9220900

I'm putting some daffodil bulbs in my haves.

And I'm giggling over this group I thought was all swapped out after that spring fling of a swap we had!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9220917

Always find room for spring bulbs. That being said I have an abundance of wood hyancith if anybody interested for spring.

Add on gita- are they noticeably fragrant dafs? I love how they label plants fragrant but you have to put your nose inside of the flower to smell it. Is there a blood hound they've trained to decide if a plant is fragrant or not.

This message was edited Jul 31, 2012 9:05 AM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9220961

Wood hyacinth multiply like rabbits. What color?
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9220966

Yea they do. I dead headed them this year. Pink and blue. I think.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9220973

Nice! I could take some...

medlarman

medlarman
Fairfax, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9220979

For dividing bananas, I've followed the instructions on the page to which Chantell linked, with the exception that I do a little dance on top of my shovel instead of hammering it down. I'm four for four, but I've also only ever done it at the end of the season . I trim back the weaker pups instead of risking over-dividing the plant.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9220983

Remind me in the early spring.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9220986

Remind you Terp? We've already secretly nominated you to host a Swap
ROFL!!! JUST kidding!

Yeah --hit or miss finding bulbs now! I had a few in bags.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9220989

Lol. Ha. Yea I have no idea where they are but would love to share them.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9221004

SSG, did you see the link I posted on the "Tropicals" thread to my DG article on bananas? It's photos, not a video, but if you go ahead and uproot your dwarf cavendish so you can see the big corm and the pups coming out, it'll should be pretty obvious what you're trying to do... you want to break away the pup *with* some/most of the roots that are attached to it. It's way easier to untangle the roots and sort them out after the plant is uprooted (use a hose to wash away the dirt so you can see what you're doing better).

And if you do find you have a spare pup, I'd really love a dwarf banana... but don't give them all away! You'll need one or two to replace your current plant when/if it fruits.

Bulbs... oh golly... anybody want to help dig & divide daffs this fall? I'd send you home with loads, don't have room for even half of what we'd dig out... the DL/daff island bed needs to be dug over, and quite a few drifts in the back border could use some dividing as well. The island bed wasn't as blooming-ful this year, so those bulbs might take an extra year to bloom for you, but there will be some blooming sized ones I'm sure. They're mostly named, although there are areas where we'd be digging a mix, but you'd be able to put a name to them down the road... there are some no-id "yellow jonquils" and "little yellow daffs from Neil" and a few salmon-centered ones in the island bed, but there are also 'Geranium' and 'Ice Folly' and 'Yellow Cheerfulness' in there.

I know I *said* I wasn't going to order any new bulbs this year, but I am weak-willed. BloomingBulb has a pretty nice pre-season sale going on (for another week or two I think), plus new customers can sign up for their email and save an extra 10%, which would cover most of the shipping (if somebody other than me placed the order LOL). Their prices on amaryllis get really nice if we buy 5 or 10 of the same kind (we're talking $3.20-$3.60 for many of the miniatures). And there's one daffodil I really want -- one of the "butterfly" split-corona ones that I don't have and haven't seen before and now I just really really have to add it to the butterfly garden area. ('Taurus')

https://www.bloomingbulb.com/c-5525-amaryllis.aspx

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9221007

Good point Gita...I think I will mark your bulb while there is still foliage there!!!

Here's a pic of the variegated grass I listed on my have! I like it and as I said it is well behaved for me - however it's taking up valuable space that I could have a few other plants. ^_^

Thumbnail by Chantell

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9221008

Deal. I'll provide the labor!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2012
3:39 AM

Post #9221138

Jill, I'd forgotten about your bananas article! That was very helpful. I will see how many pups I can get and save 1 for you and Chantell, and 1 for myself.

And I can l help you dig up the bulbs! Will you be doing that before or after the swap?

Chantell, I'd like to try that variegated grass. How many do you have?

Donner, I'd like some calla lilies. No problem about that JPW!

Sally, I'd love a pig's ear. How pretty! And some daffodils, too, please.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9221224

Terp---

I have a small garden (development) and, early this summer--I started digging up a lot of bulbs,
on purpose, or accidentally, in order to get rid of all that dying off foliage.
I always hate this stage--as when I want to plant my annuals--the bulb foliage is all in the way.

I had a few clumps of Wood Hyacinth--pinks and whites--but have lost the blue ones.
Mine are all mixed. Are yours? Like--IF you know which are the blue ones--I will take just a hand full.

How much do you know about the Wintersweet Shrub? I can help--but you can also find a lot of comments
in the PF. I have a lot of pictures in there too.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/79001/

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9221259

Terp- Wood hyacinth- Next spring as they are blooming you'll know where the clumps are, and maybe see if some are solid enough blue to offer Gita. When you dig the clump I expect you'll find all the bloomed ones with a nice fat bulb, and tons of smaller bulbs. Enough so you can replant your spot and still share.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9221281

SS - grass is yours - once I dig it up if it can be separated I'm happy to offer to who ever is interested

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9221309

I've added Datura Wrightii seeds to my HAVE list

Thumbnail by Chantell

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9221315

Chantelle---
Is that Zebra Grass?

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9221319

Gita - sadly I can't find the tag...still trying to locate info in my notes. Honestly it had an Oriental sounding name. Haku...or something similar

Sally - would you please set aside some of your Hardy Geranium for me? What lighting is yours growing in?
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9221597

I have no idea the colors. Lol I thought they were pink and blue

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9221612

Chantell- Yes! I have them in various part shaded places Not picky. Got plenty.

Re that grass, I'd suggest you don't rip it apart too much in fall but rather cut the clump and leave some dirt on it. I killed all my grass clumps which I divided this spring and then wrote about (blush)
Not this is it ?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/19809/
Can't find that horizontal striped grass but I have seen it.

Terp- I'm not doubting the pink and blue but did supppose you meant one stem would be only pick or blue, not both. So if you see only blue in certain bunch, thats where to dig for Gita, for example.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9221850

This seems like the place to post this erratum. Prior to the Spring Plant Swap I offered what I thought I had sown as Digitalis ‘Candy Mountain’. Soon I realized that the ID was incorrect and thought I might have mixed my label with a Penstemon. Then it became evident that the seedlings were Snapdragons, and since the only such seeds I had on hand were ‘Night and Day’, I offered the plants as such. After the swap they began blooming and displayed an unexpected color, pink not deep red. I contacted Park Seeds where I purchased the seeds and sent them a photo of the resulting blooms. Their response was

“The Snapdragon seeds are labeled when they come from the supplier, but we do not have a way to know which one you received as we do not offer this particular one. We apologize for the error.”

Offering these particular plants has become an unending comedy of errors. I am unable to provide the correct ID and apologize to those received these plants expecting the more intense ‘Night and Day’. :-o

Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9222011

Well if splitting the clump would kill it than I only have the one to offer which SS has asked for. I want the space for other plants - I will dig it up, leaving dirt on it and pot it for her within the next month. Would it be ok doing that, do you think?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9222275

I split a bunch of smaller purchased clumps of grasses this summer... so far, so good, I think I've only lost a couple of little divisions (they got too dry). You might be able to take a couple of small starts from around the edges, leaving the main clump intact (with some dirt on the roots). Better, maybe, when it starts coming up in spring SSG could cut a few starts from around the edges if it's looking vigorous. That way, you won't be hacking at the roots before heading into winter.

Greenthumb, I hope Parkseed sent you a replacement packet or gave you a credit/refund for those seeds. They're usually pretty good about that sort of thing, although it's been a few years since I've ordered from them.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 29, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9222346

Yippie!!!!! And the fun has begun. So glad to see Terp getting in to the feel of it. Believe me, you will have more plants than you know what to do with after one of these swaps. I haven't visited the have to offer page, but will get there and see what folks are offering. Haven't had a chance to do inventory here either, so it will be a bit before I can send my offer list.

Do want to say that the planning that goes on before the swaps is loads of fun too. Love each and every one of you. At least twice a year I can count on having something very enjoyable to be involved in. Kudos to whoever started these swaps.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9222448

Re bulb ordering- I'm not in a position to spend money on bulbs, but I was looking at this one
http://www.daffodildepot.com/Daffs-For-Naturalizing/W.P.-Milner/62396e39ada88a292c77f4fe1d697bf9
because someone said you can plant small narcissus like these throughout your beds, they are not too obtrusive after bloom, leaves go away pretty quick and they REPEL VOLES. I think you eventually need a lot of them.
Price seems good here too but they wouldn't ship till November, or way after swap anyway.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9222641

Sally---
I will have a lot of bulbs from the usual small daffs that we all have--everywhere.
Part of the digging up I did.

Mix of regular Daffs as well. I will keep a few--just in case I need to fill in somewhere.

Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9222695

I love little daffs! You know, I haven't had nearly as much trouble with voles as the years have gone on... Maybe my gardens just have too many daffodils (of all sizes) for their liking?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9222807

We can hope!
I have one clump of daffs in my shady bed that's generally chock ful of voles too.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9222857

This says if you want to dig out daffodils , do it about now amd let they dry right on the soil wehre they lived
http://www.daffodildepot.com/FingerSpitzenGefuhl/
From a bulb seller, who wants them to dry before shipping. I guess it's still good advice for us.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9222858

Hmmmm I guess I could add paperwhites to my haves then. They've been drying all summer...LOL...but still look in good shape...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9222878

I have 3 Paperwhite bulbs as well--"drying" since Th-Giving?

Has anyone planted them out in garden? Do they survive like all other bulbs?
When do they bloom--au naturelle?

Thanks--Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9222968

paperwhites are tender narcissus (tazettas, I think), so they won't overwinter outside.

Thanks for the link, Sally, but I don't think we want to do extra digging in the heat if it's not necessary! I think as long as we put the dug bulbs into boxes or paper bags (not plastic), they'll be fine until they're planted.

I can't imaging buying daffs in August. I'm more likely to lag behind the "season" so I can take advantage of the late sales. LOL

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9222989

Paper whites have lived through two winters of my probably near zone eight if not close to nine sunny side bed. But they have not bloomed at all. I have read surprising things about their cold tolerance. Then again they are daffodils. Some people get rebloom.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9223028

sally - did you force your paper whites originally? When forced they are so depleted that it may take multiple years in garden conditions to rebuild their stores sufficiently to rebloom.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9223072

Ugh, David...good to know...I bought them clearanced when the blooms were about spent. I'm sure they were forced...sheesh

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9223096

SO---
The 3 bulbs I have saved--from being 'forced" in the Holiday Season" (NOT in water--but in soil in a pot)
and that have languished outside, somewhere, in an empty pot since--will not grow and bloom next year???

I was planing to plant them in a bed--or in a pot. Hoping they will sprout and bloom next year...HMMM...
I only have 3 bulbs--and they are still OK.

WHAT should I do with them? Gita

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9223110

"Forced" bulbs use up an awful lot of themselves, but if they were grown on for a while (green leaves after flowering), the bulb might have enough substance to it to come back. I'm not sure how being "stored" outside will have affected them. I think some people grow them on after blooming like an amaryllis and plant them out in the summer (or keep them in their pots with water & an occasional dose of fertilizer). Then you can dig them up, let them go dormant, and pot them up to bloom for the holidays, at least in theory -- again, like an amaryllis.

I'm more willing to go through all that for an amaryllis than for a paperwhite bulb, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. In my yard, my sunniest bed by the patio or by a big rock "heat sink" is still maybe zone 7, not nearly warm enough to keep a tender bulb from freezing.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9223145

I will trade the following hornworm (should I be able to locate where I transplanted him to) for any worm of a darker color. I have been startled TWICE today by lime green 'insects' on my plants. First when making pesto and a 'leaf' clearly jumped straight at my face and then while watering I came across America's least Wanted below on my LILAC bush. Hello!?! Didn't he realize the tomatoes were in the back on the deck? He's got the nerve to rear up like a stallion because I moved him - giving me the 'mean mug' all the while...sheesh. BTW our Critter did an article, I believe, on this lovely (tongue in cheek) creature.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2012 10:35 PM

Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #9223198

Chantell, your photos are super fine. I believe you have a Waved Sphinx Moth caterpillar that actually needs to feed on lilac (ash, privet, fringe tree) and not tomatoes. The sphinx moth helps pollinate many fragrant flowers and is also called a hummingbird moth.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/152231

There are lots of different Sphinx moth/hornworms

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CritterFiles/casefile/insects/butterflies/sphinx/sphinx.htm

Maybe you can get some pics of yours when it becomes a moth!

http://www.cirrusimage.com/moths_hummingbird_clearwing.htm
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9223342

He's much prettier than the tobacco / tomato hornworms! Still has that "mean mug" though. Here's the article (with a lot of great photos from talented DGers): http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1270/
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9223416

Sally- I would love a hardy geranium what color? Pink?
And I love daffy bulbs to fill in spot s i will take any kind. ESP the new vole repellents.

Donner - the brunnera would be great complimentary plant
They are extremely easy right? I think I recall reading a dg article about them.I

Chantell - the plumeria im interested in that as well
I don't know much about the plant though is it an easy bloomer?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9223448

David, yes my paperwhites were forced.
I'd say plant them the best you can with fertile soil underneath, not worrying too much about the cold, and just see what ya get. Feedback threads from my article have a few testimonials.

[quote="UMD_Terp"]Sally- I would love a hardy geranium what color? Pink?
And I love daffy bulbs to fill in spot s i will take any kind. ESP the new vole repellents.

Donner - the brunnera would be great complimentary plant
They are extremely easy right? I think I recall reading a dg article about them.I

Chantell - the plumeria im interested in that as well
I don't know much about the plant though is it an easy bloomer?[/quote]

Yes I have a lot of pink to share, see plantfiles about 'bigroot geranium' as common name. TOugh nearly evergreen, neat mounds about 10-12 inches hig and no more, can survive housing vole condos underneath...

Donner's brunnera can be seen in their glory here when you come, have been easy for me.

A plumeria can be seen here as an idea of a four year from cutting (about ) age plant

Chantell love your hornworm story!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9223558

Great.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9223705

Terp, brunneras are very easy to grow. The foliage looks nice throughout the season even when they are not blooming. a great plant for the shade garden. I will bring you some.

I would love to have some daffodil bulbs too if anybody still has some to spare.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2012 12:54 PM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9223721

Donner - sounds great, exactly what I expected.

Who doesn't like daffodils!?!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9223754

Sally---
I will have enough daff. bulbs to share. Both big and small ones.
Should make up individual "care packages"...;o)

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9224338

Coleup - thanks for the info on my ET wanna-be...sadly I think I moved him to a community pine tree. I will dutifully check tomorrow but I doubt he hung around there. I actually saw the hummingbird moth last summer around my PB shrub...hmmm, I should find those pics. Thank you Jill for posting for sharing the link.

Terp - the plumerias are very easy plants but will not tolerate temps dipping below 50 F for any length of time. Once the night time temps go down consistently to 50 - my plumies get brought indoors. I used to tell everyone to decrease their watering till they went semi-dormant. You can do this but stand less of a chance to enjoy their blooms. Once temps warm up - they go back outside and they should be provided a regular good dose of 'food' and soaked frequently. Their flowers are beautiful...course I can't for the life of me remember the color of these...LOL. I'll check the pot - might have something still legible written on the side.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9224345

Chantell, am I supposed to bring your PB shrub inside this fall or put it into the ground? It's in a big pot now, looking very nice! I will pot up my plumie this fall and find it a sunny window or at least a place with the amaryllises downstairs. It would be nice to actually get a bloom from it! Did your nephew's banana corm resprout as I hoped it would? Or are we putting in an order from Wellspring? (Hmm, should we put in a Wellspring order before the swap anyway?)

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
10:25 PM

Post #9224444

PB shrub is hardy...throw her in the ground!! ^_^ Plumie - good plan...keep her going thru the winter...lots of food and water while warm - just like with your others...hopefully you'll have an inflo popping up. Mine don't bloom each year but they may have been a 'my bad' for the winter 'care' I previously provided (or lack thereof) Nanner never did show life...I'm sorry. I found him one at lowes w/o a price tag...they sold it to me for $3...can't beat that. He was SO excited...I loved it. Have you ever heard/bought from this site: http://www.bananaplants.net/bananaplants.html watchdog's page on them http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/3542/
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9224511

Chantell- sounds good. we will figure out the color sooner or later.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9224937

Oh, so sorry about that big banana corm! I had such hopes for it! I'm glad you found one for him, and such a bargain, too.

I haven't ordered from (or heard of) that site, before, but I'm more interested in some of the other goodies at Wellspring. One of these days, I have to get an allspice tree to survive to toddlerhood at least!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9225455

Jill - you silly...no need to for you apologize!! You were kind enough to share with me! I actually went out and checked it again tonight - there's no growth. I kept it out front so it would get mostly sun and I could keep it watered with my other tropicals, Maybe I did something wrong????
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9225499

[quote="critterologist"]

Bulbs... oh golly... anybody want to help dig & divide daffs this fall? I'd send you home with loads, don't have room for even half of what we'd dig out... the DL/daff island bed needs to be dug over, and quite a few drifts in the back border could use some dividing as well. The island bed wasn't as blooming-ful this year, so those bulbs might take an extra year to bloom for you, but there will be some blooming sized ones I'm sure. They're mostly named, although there are areas where we'd be digging a mix, but you'd be able to put a name to them down the road... there are some no-id "yellow jonquils" and "little yellow daffs from Neil" and a few salmon-centered ones in the island bed, but there are also 'Geranium' and 'Ice Folly' and 'Yellow Cheerfulness' in there.

I know I *said* I wasn't going to order any new bulbs this year, but I am weak-willed. BloomingBulb has a pretty nice pre-season sale going on (for another week or two I think), plus new customers can sign up for their email and save an extra 10%, which would cover most of the shipping (if somebody other than me placed the order LOL). Their prices on amaryllis get really nice if we buy 5 or 10 of the same kind (we're talking $3.20-$3.60 for many of the miniatures). And there's one daffodil I really want -- one of the "butterfly" split-corona ones that I don't have and haven't seen before and now I just really really have to add it to the butterfly garden area. ('Taurus')

https://www.bloomingbulb.com/c-5525-amaryllis.aspx
[/quote]

I would be interested in a bulb purchase...don't know about an amaryllis...maybe...one.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9225974

Just added Hardy Hibiscus (1 available) and Acorus 'ogon' (LOADS) to my HAVE list.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9226102

Since I don't know what Acorus is I probably HAVE to have some.

teee hee, I just looked it up and yes I would like some...\
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54899/

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9226120

Will dig up some for you, Sally. A 'fan' of Acorus (something like this http://www.hugheswatergardens.com/acorusogonlg.jpg) will grow into a very neat circle in a couple of years. That's when it is at its best. Mine have not been divided in years and they are now circles on top of circles :-). Will need a pickax or dynamite to divide them :-).

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9226122

goody goody goody thank you for your hard work!

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9226454

Adding these items to my "Haves":

Agastache ‘Honey Bee Blue’ – Perennial. Couple of gallon pots currently in bloom.

Anemone virginiana – Thimbleweed - Native perennial wildflower that can take a good bit of shade. Winter sown seedlings that should bloom early next summer.

Campanula ‘Bellringers’ – Perennial. These were potted up after blooming a few weeks ago so I am sure they bloom white rather than being C. ‘Elizabeth’. Does well in shady areas

Campanula ‘Elizabeth’ – Perennial familiar to most of this group. Finished blooming for the season. Does well in shady areas.

Dryopteris filix-mas ‘Linearis Polydactyla’ – Rather bizarre variation of Male Fern.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9226458

More additions:

Geranium macrorrhizum ‘Bevan's Variety’ – Quite hardy perennial. Does ok in part shade. Offsets that bloomed this year.

Platycodon ‘Astra Semi-Double Lavender’- Perennial. Lovely flowers. Short, rather recumbent cultivar of Platycodon. Currently flowering.

Saxifraga virginiana – Perennial native wildflower. Blooms in March/April, giving early color.

Scutellaria integrifolia – Hyssop-Leaved Skullcap – Perennial native wildflower. Blooms in late May/early June in sun or partial shade. Reseeds readily to form a drift.

Tricyrtis hirta ‘Moonlight’ – Perennial. Chartreuse foliage, pale blue flowers with purple speckles in late summer/fall. Sorry, no photo.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9226466

[quote="greenthumb99"]Adding these items to my "Haves":

Campanula ‘Bellringers’ – Perennial. These were potted up after blooming a few weeks ago so I am sure they bloom white rather than being C. ‘Elizabeth’. Does well in shady areas

Campanula ‘Elizabeth’ – Perennial familiar to most of this group. Finished blooming for the season. Does well in shady areas.

Dryopteris filix-mas ‘Linearis Polydactyla’ – Rather bizarre variation of Male Fern.

[/quote]

I would love the campunula and dryopteris.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9226470

[quote="greenthumb99"]More additions:

Geranium macrorrhizum ‘Bevan's Variety’ – Quite hardy perennial. Does ok in part shade. Offsets that bloomed this year.

Platycodon ‘Astra Semi-Double Lavender’- Perennial. Lovely flowers. Short, rather recumbent cultivar of Platycodon. Currently flowering.

Tricyrtis hirta ‘Moonlight’ – Perennial. Chartreuse foliage, pale blue flowers with purple speckles in late summer/fall. Sorry, no photo.
[/quote]

These three as well!!!!

Great plants!

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9226514

Done UMD

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9226591

Sorry---
But I have not yet even wrapped my mind around anything I may have to share...

It won't be much. (So she says!...) I am more Spring Swap prolific sharer...
I am sure I will have something--just have not focused on all that yet.

My brain is in oblivion right now as far as gardening is concerned.
Depressed--as the Spider Mites got me real good this summer...I HATE them!

Bare with me--I will get my brain together soon and see what I may have and post something.

Gita

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9226823

Hiya, I'm here to share my "haves". Not all of them are potted up, but I will gladly dig up stuff to share.

Alaska daisies, (these babies have been really full the last 2 years, the stalks have been very sturdy, not falling over, and have given me blooms twice after deadheading/pruning. They have been about 3 1/2 feet tall for me in my rocky/sandy full-sun area). These guys attract bees galore.

Homestead Purple Verbena. I've got 4 of these, and they are spreading like wild fire and taking over the entire front of my 25' wide bed... just the 4 of 'em! They start blooming early/mid Spring, after a hard haircut they smothered themselves in blooms again and got fuller, and now they are in need of a hard haircut again. Last year (I've only had them 2 years now) they kept on blooming until about mid-late November. I'm not sure what the term is for this, but when their branches spread, where they hit the ground, they take root along the branches in MANY places, so I should be able to pot up several. I find more butterflies than bees on these.

Agastache Tutti Frutti. I've had these for 2 years also, and this year they got over 7' tall (and about 2 1/2 feet wide) before I gave them a hard haircut. They're coming back even stronger now, WAAYY fuller than before, and they are also self-seeding. I've got a handful of new babies just from self-seeding this year. Perennial, btw. The foliage smells soooo good, and the bees and butterflies flock to them.

Sedum "Autumn Joy"... at least, I believe that's the variety, I'm not entirely sure. It sure looks like it. ;) Was a gift from a now-passed lovely neighbor but it's growing out of control... once was 1, now there's 2...soon to be 4 if I don't share some. ;)

Platycodon "Sentimental Blue"... I believe it's Sentimental Blue, I don't remember for sure. They are self-seeding just this year (only the second season I've had them, first installed them at the end of last season), and the new babies have been blooming this year, but the originals have gotten to be nearly 3 feet tall and have needed some staking.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my flat head at the moment. I'll add more later as I think of them. (while I'm out pruning later) :)

If anyone's got any bee balms, Liatris, or perennial geraniums to spare, I'd love some please.

Oh yeah, and I've got lots of growers pots in various sizes, too. If anyone needs pots, let me know and I'll bring what I've got. :) They're just the cheap plastic ones that ya get at the nursery, but sometimes those things come in handy! =)

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9226936

I'd love some Tutti Frutti and some Sentimental Blue, Speedie. Haven't been on much but I'll get myself together after August 30th, when all my party giving, baby sitting and caring for needy relative has pretty much slowed down. By that time I'll know what I have to share.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9226941

I would like some Tutti Frutti too. Thanks

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9227003

speedie - if you have enough to spare, I'd be thrilled with both the Verbena and Agastache

David - same req, only if you have enough to share - Agastache ‘Honey Bee Blue’, Geranium macrorrhizum ‘Bevan's Variety’, hmmm wondering if that skullcap has same medicinal properties as the Scutellaria lateriflora. Do you know by chance?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9227007

Cool, Roses, Greenthumb, and Chantell, y'all are "in"! Makin' a list and checkin' it twice. =)

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9227061

Thanks Speedie!!! ^_^

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9227111

Speedie - Thanks!
Chantell - Got you down for the 'Honey Bee Blue' and the Geranium. My PDR for Herbal Medicine says "Scullcap is the aerial part of 3- to 4-year old Scuttelaria lateriflora and related species...". Rather vague. FYI - I winter sowed some S. lateriflora and potted it up this week. If enough sucessfully overwinters, I will have some for next spring's swap.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9227114

speedie, those sound like awesome choices! I think you should arm yourself with a generous number of starts/ pots of them...to throw at us as we stampede you on arrival...

Daivd's 'Bevan's Variety' G mac is sure pretty. We now have three colors of this good plant around Mad Atlantic, that purple, my pink, Jill's white.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9227218

Speedie---

I have had AK Daisies growing for at least 3 years. Mine don't sound or look anything like your
description. They were so non-descript, that I am planning to dig them up. I already have cut them back
to the base.
Oof course--there is an obvious reason for their lack of thriving. Mine are growing in the corner of my "YUK" bed.
"YUK" means this bed is matted with Maple roots, I can barely dig in it, and plants have to share space,
sun and nutrients--on all of which the tree gets 1st dibs.
Honestly--they are in a bad spot--not enough sun. Shaded by a Butterfly bush, Shasta Daisies and my neighbor's
6' fence...
I will dig all the clumps up and share some. Some--I will plant in my neighbor's bed--as she does not do any gardening...
Your garden is MY garden----that is how it is between our gardens.

I have had some remnants of blue Platycodon trying to grow every year. It is, kind of, buried among a lot of Irises.
To my knowledge--they have never self-seeded...Hmmmm...
I have seen these in other people's beds. Just beautiful!

I will have some of David's Campanula "Elizabeth" to share--as they have seeded all over the rim of the pot.
Will pot them up and share at work as well. Susan--who has that big house and property in VA will take some.
I am sure David and Pat will also have plenty.

1--I have starts of a perennial geranium also. have to go out and take a picture. I do not know the name of this one.
Hold on...I have a few pots potted up. They are not exactly growing...but this plant is very low to the ground.
2--This Geranium is right next to the other. This one spreads like a weed. can you tell?
Name?? How would one propagate this one???? The runners are 2' or so.

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9227251

I would love some tutti fruiti and the sentimental blue as well if there is enough.

I also have some little cup to 1.5 cup pots. Glazed some have holes some don't. I am going to bring them, hopefully somebody can use them.

This message was edited Aug 2, 2012 7:45 PM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9227257

Speedie you mentioned hostas I have some noid tricolor and green hostas they were filling in space but since we took some trees down they are in too much sun.Pretty easy seeder too in my garden. They are a little washed out this year as a result but will look great next year in a shadier spot

This message was edited Aug 2, 2012 2:52 PM

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9227284

Speedie,

When I get back onto my own computer I will send hosta pictures and you can choose any or all of them. I guess it's all right to split them in September, right?? I know I have Marmalade, Great Expectations, and a couple that are mostly white in the center.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9227301

Have added: Oregano-Thyme Mint to my have's - enough for 1-2 clumps
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9227337

Speedie, if you're not out of the agastache yet, I'd love to try 'Tutti Fruiti' -- 7 feet tall, my word! I've got a couple other agastache cuttings that seem to be coming along, and I'll put your name on a 'Raspberry Wine' bee balm, too. Or if you have an extra purple Verbena, that would be welcome! It's a great filler/edger plant... and mine didn't come back up this spring.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9227559

David - thank you...I've got a sm skullcap already...no worries

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2012
3:06 AM

Post #9227852

UMD and Critterologist, you have been added to "The List". =) Let's see... that makes 5 for the Agastache... Not sure I'll be able to grab many more than that. Just found another one yesterday (my GOODNESS, I have GOT to get out there and clean up!) that I hadn't seen before, these guys really like that bed apparently. =)

Critter, there's plenty of the Verbena for you, so I'll be sure to give you a nice fat and happy one! =) And yes, that Bee Balm sounds PERFECT, please and thank you! =)

UMD and Roses, whichever Hostas are most convenient for you to bring will be A-OK with me, they're all so beautiful. I have only 1 variety growing so far, so I will humbly appreciate whatever is easiest for you to manage while not mangling your own beds. ;)

Chantell, may I claim one of the Thyme, please?

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9227963

speedie - absolutely

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9228466

Oh thank you, bless your warm fuzzy heart Chantell!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9228828

Speedie, I should be able to get you a piece of 'Marshall's Delight' also, although that one will be more about roots than tops... it was a big clump earlier this summer (starting with a little pot last fall), but it got munched by something then got powdery mildew then got chopped back (by me), so it isn't much of a "looker" at present. LOL

One thing I know I'll have is (dis)Obedient Plant. I need to pull up quite a bit of it this fall to make space for some new siberian irises I ordered. It does spread when it's happy... more "obedient" in the vase (where it holds whatever bend you put in the floewr stem) than in the garden... but it's not really a "thug" in my book since it's shallow rooted and easy enough to yank up. I'll like it a lot more when it starts blooming... I noticed a lot of buds on it yesterday.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2012
3:26 AM

Post #9229003

Aaaawwww, God Bless you Critter, yes please and thank you! I'm not worried at all about how it looks 'now', I know with continued loving care it will be wonderful next Spring, when I can take pics to share the love. =) (and then later when it grows up and I can share the plant!) < =D

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9229434

ssgardener
I have all the plain ajuga you could want right here!!!!!!!!!!

you ask Sweet Flag, donner has Acorus variegated--that's it, or do you want green?

Holly- darn I just succeeded in about killing my last hge clump of green spreading Monda--but maybe Terp can help you out.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9229457

I call it monkey grass but is that different than regular green lioripe?

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9229718

Monkey Grass, Mondo Grass is in a different Genus than Liriope.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9229752

OK so I for one am totally confused about Monkey/Mondo/Liriope...
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9229820

Haha Sally, I'll take as much ajuga as you want to get rid of. No need to even dig it up ahead of time! And yes, I'm looking for variegated sweetflag.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9229834

super, Terry!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9230035

Oh yea they are definitely different. I can see that based on the dg entry. I don't have any mondo grass but I have plenty of lioripe, which is just starting to bloom.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9230379

Cuttings off shrubs or plants here highly encouraged...
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9230415

Great!! I just dipped a ton of cuttings from a dozen rhododendrons.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9230465

Looks like you'll get the Cuttings Ribbon 2012!
Having offered my plants for cuttings, I can't say that I have much exciting to offer. Sheesh. Most of my shrubs are old basic cultivars. I do have a hydrangea- it would be nice if I could tell what it blooms like but I just know "its a lacecap and it came from someone through DG at Holly and RIcs first swap"

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9230490

Ha ha. No worries!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9230719

I may have to take cuttings of my "Endless Summer Hydrangia" as it is, once again, encroaching
on my walkway around the corner of my patio. Have done this in last few years.

It may be too late-----or it may be just right...I will give it a try...
IF they pass the "tug test"--there may be a chance that I may have some to share...

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9230730

Judy---

I read on one of the Posts that you will not be able to make he Swap. Is that true????

Does that mean I do not have to make a jar of Pickles for you?????

PLEASE!!! Try to make it-if you can...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9231004

Gita, Judy is working a craft show that weekend.

The 'Endless Summer' hydrangea that Gita gave me this spring has been growing like a champ. It's in a 2 maybe 3 gallon pot, and it even had several blooms this summer! Really beautiful. I'm going to find just the right spot for it, somewhere near the lily of the valley Gita gave me -- gosh, how many years ago was that? LOL. :-)

Happy, the little azalea baby you gave me hasn't grown so much as a new leaf, but I bet it's very busy growing roots in its little pot. I'm keeping it moist... I have it and several "delicately rooted" plants in a tray on a layer of large, hydrated moisture crystals, mostly away from direct sunlight.

Terp, you're going to have to give us a workshop on starting cuttings! Do you cover them (dome, bag, that sort of thing) after you dip 'em & stick 'em, or does the high humidity lately pretty much do the trick without that?

SSG, my variegated sweet flag isn't looking quite as vigorous this year, but I'm going to take a look at it... I bet it just really needs to be divided (I've chopped chunks off the edge for people but never really dug the whole clump)... so hopefully I'll have some to share.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #9231042

Is there an interest in cuttings from a Viburnum x burkwoodii 'Mohawk' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56116/ and/or Daphne odora 'Aureo-Marginata' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/79487/ ? Got both of these plants from our sweet Debbie and Rick of Rick's Custom Nursery http://www.rickscustomnursery.com/ back in spring of 2008 and they've both done exceptionally well but could use a little haircut. I will also have a bit of gardening 'stuff' to include those pots I love so much from Walmart. Do y'all think they'll be an interest in these types of items?

This message was edited Aug 5, 2012 11:54 PM

Thumbnail by Chantell

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9231161

Chantell- I would love to try both. I have read that daphnes are very hard to root through cuttings though.

Critter- for the rhodos i use half perlite half pete. You want to use a 6 or 8 inch pot. People commonly refer to them as one gallons but I don't believe they are a gallon. I form a ball about the size of the softball, squeeze out the water from the mix, then smear it into the pot. You don't want to compress it down as much as you can, just enough to make sure there are no huge air pockets. Then you re cut your cutting to 3 inches and eliminate and cut leaves as you see fit. The rhododendrons
(Non azaleas) need scoring, take a knife and slice off the top layer on two sides about half an inch to inch and then dip in hormodin #2 and flick the stem to get off the excess powder. Make a pencil hole for your cutting then press it in. Azaleas are much more forgiving..there is no scoring and use roottone not hormodin. Now you just create a dome over your pot using cut wrapped wire. Do not use copper or bare metal it will leach into the soil and may decrease your success rate. Use two pieces crossed about 25 inches long. Take a gallon plastic bag over top of it and then use duct tape to create a seal around the pot. If you see moisture collecting on the bag you have succeeded in creating the requisite humidity. Then place the pots in a protected filtered shaded area, if you don't have a spot with these conditions opt for minimal morning sun.

I haven't been doing this for long at all. This is my first season. The technique used is the preferred technique of the mason Dixon chapter of ARS. I'm sure there are many nuances and techniques I don't know about. For instance deciduous azaleas require good timing, best to take cuttings in the morning after arain or garden hose soak, older plants don't root as well as younger..

This message was edited Aug 6, 2012 12:19 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9231320

Chantelle----
I am smitten with that Daphne! Whether it will root/grow--I would like to try a cutting.
It says in the comments that this is hard to root. Have you had any luck before?
In the pictures it looks like a Lipstick Plant...

Jill---Glad your little Hydrangea is doing well. The cutting I rooted for you already had 2 blooms on it.

Re the Lily of the Valley--you came here to dig it up--remember??? Not an easy job.
They were growing in the corner of my "YUK" bed and also by the shed.

Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9231370

Terp, what a fabulous set of directions -- detailed and still concise -- thank you!!

Gita, I sure do remember that day, back when we first met... what fun we had getting to know each other!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9231372

Jill--

Here are your sweet Banana peppers----full of them! Can't say I am crazy about them.
The skin is rather thick...I pick the ripe ones--and they all just sit in a bowl...

Also--Here is how sprawly the Endless Summer hydrangea gets in this little corner bed.
This is why I have to take cuttings,,,Can't walk unto the patio because of all this growth.
May do that today. gita

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9231462

Gotcha both down Terp and Gita
Gita - rooting is not on my list of conquered abilities - haven't tried to root either so I'm not much help. Daphnes are notoriously finicky - out of 4-5 different ones this is the only that not only lived but has thrived where I put it. Course this one from Debbie's was 1 gal size v. the babies from bluestone. The late winter scent is to die for - that much I can attest to. ^_^

This message was edited Aug 6, 2012 10:07 AM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9231496

Great Chantell thank you. I have heard the same about them. I have spoke with numerous dgers that said rooting is challenging. Hopefully we have some success and there will be some little daphnes for the spring.

Thanks for the compliment Jill. I'm pretty green but I have about two dozen varieties of rhodos from this summer.

Daphne Odora - http://www.ippswr.org/home/ippsna/2007/Presentations/Simnitt.pdf
Their results are via a misting system..but at least the cuttings are viable this time year according to this study. If good for nothing else, they listed their rooting hormone.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2012 12:54 PM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9231720

Picture one is of my cuttings from this year.

The second picture is pots I need to get rid of. They are pretty small. Anybody interested?

Thumbnail by UMD_Terp   Thumbnail by UMD_Terp

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9231788

Terp--

Since you are also getting a Daphne cutting---tell me how you plan to root it--assuming Chantelle will not have done so yet.

I truly have no space for another shrub. Would it grow in a large pot? I will need to collect some info on this plant--
starting with the link above.

Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9231791

Gita-

I'm just going to try the method I use for Rhodos but maybe use the rooting compound mentioned in the article.

Hopefully Chantelle can spare more than one cutting, with the rhodo's we put 3 - 12 cuttings depending on the size of the shrub (large leaf rhodo, lepidote, azalea). With multiple cuttings you increase your odds (I assume), I guess some things you have no control over.

I'm going to see if the internet can produce more information but that's my general plan.

-Paul

This message was edited Aug 6, 2012 1:45 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9231802

Paul---

I do not have this Rooting Compound you mention. All I have is some of the regular rooting powder-
-and most of it is quite old.

Maybe you could bring be a smidgen of it? Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9231811

I don't have it either! Yes of course If I can find a reasonable amount I will buy it. I can't pay $35 for 10oz of powder. Otherwise I'll just use what I have old fashioned root tone.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9231826

OK! Thanks anyway...G.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9231907

Gita, I love those 'Sweet Pickles' peppers... most of them don't make it into the house when they're red; we eat them right out in the garden! I've never noticed their being especially thick-skinned, but they may seem that way due to their small size, or depending on what you're using for comparison (they aren't banana peppers, which do usually have thinner skins and thinner flesh also). You could always mince them up (food processor) and add them to salsa, spaghetti sauce, etc... then you'd get all their flavor without needing to bite through their skin.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 6, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9231959

The Sweet Pickles are very prolific here too. Tasty snack. I think I'll go have some right now..
Paul, please bring at least one little crock, for me. I'd like to see if I can paint them. COuld be nice pot in whcih to place a cheap plastic pot for a small houseplant.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9232146

Will do

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 6, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9232209

Thanks! And as long as you 'need to get rid of them...''... I like the shape. I like the color too but have to admit that I already have plenty of brown in my life.
My DD found instructions that these can be painted with enamel paint. Takes a few coats.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9232325

[quote="sallyg"]Thanks! And as long as you 'need to get rid of them...''... I like the shape. I like the color too but have to admit that I already have plenty of brown in my life.
My DD found instructions that these can be painted with enamel paint. Takes a few coats.[/quote]

I'll bring them all. I picked them up from a local nursery that had gone out of business. They were going to bull dose them in to a pile and trash them. Figured I could find some purpose for them eventually!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9232444

easier than enamel paint... "Porcelaine" brand ceramic paints. They "fire" in your oven and are then dishwasher safe (without needing to be sealed).

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9232752

Yay @ Paul and Jill!!!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9232875

Ha.

Does anybody have bee-balm (Monarda), I love the firework type bloom and read they are a great companion plant for veggies. It's a pretty prolific grower so I wouldn't need more than a few roots. I'd take any kind! short, tall, fat, pink, white, black, red, orange...

Paul
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 7, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9232959

Goodness me...I am busy and don't read for a while and then visit and have to read for a great while. This is all so fun and sure does get me excited when reading it. Yes indeed, going to be yet another great day in the neighborhood. These swaps are so much fun. The child in each of us gets to come out and play. We are currently working on our list of haves and I will be posting in due time. As of now, I see only two wants and will make them known now.

Ssgardener, if you still have any of the cactus soil left, I would love to try it. If you are running low, no problem. Did you mix this yourself or buy it some where that I may also try purchasing it?

Paul, I am always looking for small pots and after others make their requests known, I will take what is left over please. They are really cute crocks. I too have been known to buy inventory of floral shops which are closing.

Anyway...off to try and catch up with the other swap chats. You folks are the very, very best...you know. Oh yeah, a question for Jill. You mentioned powdery mildew. Is there a treatment for it? My beautiful Bloody Dock that I got from Ric and Holly has developed it and is making the plant look very poorly currently. I haven't dealt with it in the past and know nothing about how to possibly prevent it or treat it once it has set in. Thanks doll.

Ruby
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9232967

Ruby,

I'll bring all I have.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 7, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9232984

Thanks Paul, I am back again...just wanted to add here that the boss and I have plans to dig up most everything in a large front bed we have...spray for sedge grass and weeds and then replant the bed that has become totally over run with weeds this year. This means that next spring we will have a lot of the plants that I see folks mentioning as wanting here. I know that we will be having a lot of Hosta, Hellebores and Hardy Geraniums to share, they just won't be available for this swap. Put this tidbit in the back of your brains and know that if your wishes are not granted at this swap, they will be granted next spring. Any takers will be doing us a great favor.

Ruby

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9233017

Sounds great Ruby, can't wait for spring. I'll have some little azaleas and rhodos hopefully for you, if you want.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9233022

Bless your fuzzy heart, Ruby, I will surely make a note for myself, "Should I find myself with fewer Hostas than I would like come Spring, ask Ruby". Ya see, I have this Hosta plan... to dominate the WORLD... starting with my back yard in the shady table area.
< =)

This message was edited Aug 7, 2012 11:31 AM

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9233085

Will get as many cuttings as I can re the Daphne

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9233424

Speedie---

Do hostas make seeds? Can Hosta be grown from seeds?
I have let the bloom stalks be--thinking there may be seeds in those pods. Yes? No?
I only have one big, variegated-leaf Hosta. The leaves are bid too...It is growing in a lg, square pot against
the front of my shed. Seems to be getting a bit pot-bound...Ugh! Dividing Hostas is a chore!

I cut a lot of the sprawling branches off my Endless Summer Hydrangea and put about 14 of them to root in pots.
I had pretty good luck in the last couple of years.

I also potted up about 10 4" pots of David's Cpanula Elizabeth. I know they will have plenty to bring--so,
if anyone wants more--i will have some...
Learned one thing in doing this! This Campanula multiplies bu spreading from the roots--NOT from seed.
AHA! Something I did not know--but then this is my first go with this plant also.

Was going to actually make a list of what i have--but I was sooooo tired and grubby after hours of working outside.
Will do that soon. As usual--I may have more than I think I have...NO surprise!

Sally---You gonna do a food Thread soon????

Can I sign up early to bring MMM-Meatballs? Have some made in my freezer already. Yeah! A small space freed up!
And--my pickles too--if you like. From my home grown cukes yet!

Gita

This is my Big-leaved Hosta. Only one I have...besides the August Lily Hosta.
Do not have enough of that one to share--as I did all that last fall. Mine are now starting all over...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9233489

NO on Hosta. At least what I have read is, no good from seed.
Yes I better do a food thread...getting to only a month away!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOOD thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1274506/

This message was edited Aug 7, 2012 7:14 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9233513

FOOD thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1274506/

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9233615

Additional "Haves"

Absinthe Wormwood – Artemisia absinthium – Perennial Artemisia, historical source of absinthe.

Aquilegia ‘Winky Purple And Yellow’- This year’s seedlings. Sorry, no photo

Aster/ Symphyotrichum cordifolium – Blue Wood Aster – Perennial native blooms pale blue in late summer/fall. Light to full shade. Sorry, no photo.

Aster/ Symphyotrichum turbinellum – Turbinate Aster – Perennial native, lavender to blue-violet flowers with yellow centers in mid to late fall. Prefers partial shade. Sorry, no photo

Browallia speciosa – American Bush Violet – Tender perennial with blue flowers. Take inside for winter. Ours have bloomed continuously for over 2 years. Adds nice indoor color in winter. Seedlings.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9233618

And some more additions:

Hieracium venosum – Rattlesnake Weed – Perennial native wildflower with interesting foliage. Blooms yellow in the spring/early summer. Potted plants that bloomed this year.

Mentha pulegium – English/European Pennyroyal – Low growing, manageable mint used as an insect repellant, other herbal history. Blooms pale lavender in summer.

Physostegia virginiana – Obedient Plant – Perennial native wildflower. Spikes of lavender/violet blooms late summer to fall.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9233703

I would love some winky columbine and obedient plant. I think a friend gave me an obedient plant around mothers day. Do they grow pretty tall and need steaking?

This message was edited Aug 8, 2012 1:37 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9233715

Ruby, usually by the time I notice powdery mildew out in the garden, the plant is already looking pretty tatty with it, so I don't try to do much. Spraying with a solution of hydrogen peroxide or milk may help... google, and I'm sure you'll find lots of recipes.

Terp, I should be able to get 2 or 3 types of Monarda for you, pretty sure I can manage 'Raspberry Wine' and 'Marshall's Delight', possibly also a little start of 'Petite Delight' (new plant, but you know I took a cutting already LOL)... and I know somebody mentioned that red one at the spring swap, so maybe you'll be able to get it ('Jacob Kline' I think) from someone also.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2012
3:01 AM

Post #9233847

I've got some "Jacobs Cline" bee balm seeds, TERP, if you'd be interested in those, I'd be GLAD to bring them for you. Just collected them off a plant at work (I do love "deadheading with a purpose"!) a couple weeks ago.

Gita, I've heard and learned the same thing about Hostas' flowers/seeds, "no", no propagating from seed. =( Shame, 'cause I'd been thinking about collecting some from the few blooms that one of my plants put up, but then researched and found that it just doesn't 'work'.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9233886

Jill that would be great!!! Thanks.

Speedie that is very nice of you thanks. I can try my hand at sowing. I'll be honest though I have not much luck or patience for it.

Gita- hostas do seed I have had OP little hostas pop up in beds and odd spots around the beds. Give it a shot.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9233893

I have a few bushel baskets if anybody is feeling crafty. They aren't in the best condition but they have been protected from the weather.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2012

Post #9233972

a bushel basket that's not in the best condition would be *ideal* for making a big hypertufa pot... you wouldn't feel too guilty if you ended up having to cut the basket-form to remove it.

Terp, if I haven't mentioned it, I'd love a rhodie baby... I'm finally able to plant shrubs back in my tree line, having (mostly) beaten back the poison ivy after 10 years LOL. (I'll still have to wear protective gear & wash up any time I dig in the dirt though, as the oil can persist for years.)
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9233988

What is a hypertufa?

Great. I should have quite a few rooted come spring time. There are lepidote rhodos that are smaller, I have a few that won't grow any bigger than 2 foot by 2.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9233995

I love those mini rhodis!

We'll have to do another hypertufa workshop... it's a lightweight version of concrete, made by using peat moss & perlite/vermiculite rather than sand & gravel with the cement. Article in the works.. :-)
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9234027

OK I'll bring them then so you can have them for the workshop. The fall is pretty busy for me and I get a few every winter.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9234031

Terp - if I have some stowaways aka Obediant plant remaining...they're yours.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9234035

K.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9234071

Pippi wrote on the haves and wants Thread:

Sally, if nobody has spoken for your Frans Hal, I'd be interested in it. Rec'd that from Gita last Fall and they were so pretty this Spring/summer(whenever they bloomed!)

Ruby..my hand is up high for some more Mary Todd daylilies. They were spectacular this Spring..if nobody has spoken for them.

I took some cuttings yesterday and took some transplants and will post those later..want to make sure they make it!

If anybody has any beautiful Christmas Cactus that they can take cuttings or plan to root for the swap, I would love some. I won't be picky about color.

I am reading where some of you are offering bulbs..have these bulbs being in the ground or are they brand new bulbs that have never been planted? Just curious!

AspenHill(Terri)if you ever take any cuttings/rooting from your "Vivid Rose" from your Grandma's bush, I would love to have just one start from it. Fell in love with it from viewing your pictures of it.

Sally..did you mention anything about the gift table yet? That is always a lot of fun.
Have I missed posting of the food Or does that come later?

*****************************************************************************************************

Pippi---

I have several clumps of Frans Hals growing--but not much, since I dug them up and divided them
all for last fall's Swap.
I am watching carefully for the seed heads to ripen so I can collect some seeds. I have NONE left!

I DO have a bunch of CC that have been growing for a couple of years. They are in 4" pots.
I think I listed them on my "Haves" list--which is far from complete as of yet.
These CC.'s should bloom this year. I have the usual fuchsia/white--Red--some salmon--and a pink one
that I have not yet seen bloom. They have all been sitting just outside my front door with NO sun.
Well watered and maintained. I repotted them all from their little 2" clay pots in the now 4" pots recently.
You could see them perk up.

The bulbs I am offering are dug up from my beds this late spring. They are not the newly purchased ones...
Mostly--they are a mix of regular Daffs. and some "Tete-a-Tete" (mini daffs). I already brought a box to Holly's
Spring Swap and several people took them.

There usually is not a separate Thread for the gift table--as it is not required that you bring something...
Most people do--but they just say so on their "Haves" Post. As in: "I will have something for the Gift table"...

I will take inventory today and make a list of what all I really have--and make my "Haves " list
more complete. It is about time...Did a lot of cuttings yesterday.

Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9234075

What would kind of plant would you put in a hypertufa?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9234084

Here are a couple pictures of my little CC's...

I know I want to send some more to JB--especially the pink ones--hope they are pretty.
G.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9234125

Hey you all!!! Check this out!

"GardenGuyKin" (from Oregon) sent me this to let me know that the Bloom for Today (Aug. 8) is
my shot of the Brazilian Plume Flower...from 2007. You have all seen it already...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1274524/

I am honored!!! Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9234145

That is gorgeous! How old do you think that plant is 5 years? magine that it is pretty big. Does it require much light/care indoors for the winter

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9234251

U all realize this makes me wish I still lived near the Chesapeake Bay just north of Aberdeen MD,(lol).

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9234510

We wish you did too juhur!!!!!!!

Gita thanks for thread TLC directing Pippi ove here. I have a few clumps of Frans Hals marked, I'm sure I can share.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2012 2:57 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9234824

Terp--

I am not 100% sure. Being that picture was taken in 2007--and was, already so big, and blooming--
I would add another 3-4 years to it????

I bought it as a potted start at Rawlings Conservatory--in Druid Hill Park-=-near the Zoo.
I had rooted cuttings of it to share at Holly's Plant Swap this may.
Will not be taking any more cuttings this year. It needs to re-grow from last Fall when I cut it back
pretty severely.

Here it is right now--beginning to bloom pretty good. Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2012
1:51 AM

Post #9235201

TERP, I will gladly share the seeds with you, and assist you in your journey toward more patience with seeds. < =D
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 9, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9235776

Thanks Jill for info on powdery mildew. Will do a google and see what I can learn. I haven't been back out to tend the plant since realizing it had it, though after some research may try some of the ideas I find. It really sounds as though we aren't all swapped out after all and looks as though many have lots to share. I haven't yet done an inventory of my house plants, but will add those to my HAVE list after doing so.

In the mean time, really excited about this upcoming event...as always.

Speedie, so glad that you and Terp don't mind waiting til spring for some of our things. All others, hope you are staying cool today.

Ruby
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9235878

Oh, Terp, if I missed your wanting Obedient Plant... I'll have loads to offer. I have to dig up a bunch of it to make room for some new siberian irises this fall... it not-so-obediently took over a corner of the garden, but it's better than weeds LOL... and easy to yank up. :-)
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9235880

Exactly the purpose I have planned for it weed replacement

Ruby - don't mind a bit. Maybe we can set the spring swap now, a save the date(s). Lol.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2012 6:19 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9236056

I have taken 80% of all the count of things I will have to share.

Was going to post them tonight--but there is more Volleyball on the TV Olympics tonight.
Have to keep my proprieties straight--you know...

Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9236065

They are only on for a few more days...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9236085

I KNOW that--and i am an old Volleyball addict and player...

Gotta watch these games...Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012

Post #9236219

Not much to watch on the Olympics---i must have missed all the Volleyball...:o((

SO! I have just updated all my "HAVES". As of mow...

Please go check--and let me know what you would like to have...

Gita

OH! Here is a picture of the "Curly Spider" plant--in case you do not know what this looks like...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9236231

A picture of a Swedish Ivy HB. These grow fast and are gorgeous...

And--a better picture of the "Curly Spider Plant"...

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012

Post #9236252

Oh, Donnerville, I'd love as much Acorus ogon as you can spare!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9236265

Sally - has your tank been spoken for yet?

Speedie - I will bring you some cuttings from 2 diff Christmas Cactus (both have at least 2 flushes/yea)r. One was my grandmother's that I inherited when she passed 18 years ago - just the normal deep pink colored blooms. The other one...hmmm I don't remember the color...it'll be a surprise.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2012 9:53 PM
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9236267

Gita, I'm interested in your angel wing begonia and ric-rac cactus.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9236273

Ruby, I'd like some creeping jenny, pink astilbe, and sedum Sarmentosan.

What kind of caryopteris do you have?
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9236275

Speedie, I'm still interested in the Homestead Purple verbena. :)
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9236281

Me me I volunteer creeping jenny!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9236295

Haha, Terp, and anyone else with creeping jenny, I'll gladly take them! I'm trying to cover a wet shady area.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2012
10:14 PM

Post #9236361

Creeping Jenny loves wet (I've got the gold one around some water garden pots, sunny spot but pretty shaded by neighboring plants in some places)... and I noticed just this afternoon how well the green one does in shade, even pretty deep shade under some overgrown shrubs in the back corner.

I'll know more about what I have and what I've managed to pot up later in the month. Next week is "Camp Aunt Jill" with my just-5 year old niece, with Joyanna's birthday at the end of it, so I've been going full tilt trying to finish some re-organizing and decorating projects... good thing God has been watering the plants lately, LOL.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2012
1:24 AM

Post #9236383

Gita, what size are those pots that you start your cuttings in? 3 in. maybe? Or 4 in.?
What type of pottings mix do you use for starting the cuttings? I noticed at last Fall's plant swap at Jill's, all your plants were so healthy and so neatly arranged. Wished I lived closer to you so you could teach me how to do a lot of propagating. Did you use special soil to put up the Christmas Cactus?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2012
3:39 AM

Post #9236408

[quote="ssgardener"]Speedie, I'm still interested in the Homestead Purple verbena. :)[/quote]

And you are still on my list with a :) next to your face to share some with you! < =D

Chantell, WOW, thank you!!! I don't remember asking for some, so in case you've mixed me up with someone else who asked, and this would end up cutting (no pun intended) them short, then you may save it for that other person. Otherwise, I can think of a happy home for it! =)
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9236466

[quote="critterologist"]Creeping Jenny loves wet (I've got the gold one around some water garden pots, sunny spot but pretty shaded by neighboring plants in some places)... and I noticed just this afternoon how well the green one does in shade, even pretty deep shade under some overgrown shrubs in the back corner.

.[/quote]

Mine grows in full shade under a beech tree where nothing else thrives

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9236546

Chantell- I had one person interested in the tank but not sure if she's a go...I will be happy to hold onto it for you if she does not come through.. INcluding the gravel washer tube thingy so you can have gorgeous aquarium water for your plants!! Did I say there are two goldfish included? About 2- three inches each. There was a third but I gave him away with another bowl at my yard sale. So this tank will be very happy supporting two fish (Even though petsmart tried to tell me My fish were already dead because thats too many fish haha.

Thumbnail by sallyg

rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 10, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9236574

SSgardener, I noted your requests and will have them ready for you. John isn't here at the moment to ask about the Caryopteris and all that I know is that it puts off a small blue bloom. Very pretty in full bloom. If I find out more info, I will let you know.

My Creeping Jenny is in full sun and seems to love it there too. Must be one of those plants which does well wherever it is planted. Oh, it can die too, but for the most part, seems to go to town once it gets started.

Still haven't inventoried house plants but will do so soon.

Pippi, I agree about the healthy nature of Gita's plants. She must have a secret that we don't know about.

Hope that everyone has a great weekend coming up.

Ruby
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9236581

Goldfish are "messy," but that's not too many fish if you keep an eye on water quality and change it every so often. Sheesh, usually petsmart employees go the other way and say "no problem!" when you want to put a baby oscar (grows to 10" or more very quickly) or 28 guppies in a 10G tank. My favorite fish for small freshwater tanks/bowls are bettas & gouramis... they have no problem with water quality bec. they naturally occur in "sluggish slow moving streams" (aka "mud puddles")... they're tough! Just don't put more than 1 betta... 2 males will fight to the death, female who isn't in the mood will tatter the male's longer (slower) fins.

If we have more than one person wanting a little tank, I'll look under the basement stairs and see what I have... :-)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9236621

pippi---

I really do not do anything special...just may seem that way.
After years of doing all kinds of cuttings and rooting--all this just comes naturally.
If I learn something new--and it makes sense to me--I will implement that in the future.

I have a bale of Pro Mix, which seems to be all Peat Moss and Perlite. Not sure if it has
any fine bits of bark in it or not. I use this mix for most of my rooting--as it contains NO
soil--which could have "stuff" in it.
Yesterday--I took apart my whole Easter cactus, as I think I had over watered it (being it is outside)
and the older stems had all gotten semi rotten and hard. They were falling out of the soil.
Ended up creating several small pots of new cuttings (put these in moist Coir...)
Also ended up with 3 new larger pots. Now--just hoping all these will root...
Some small pots I had done earlier (clay pots) are all rooted. Should have a bunch to share next May.
These all get a sprinkle when I am watering my other plants.

For my CC. cuttings, I use the tiny little (1 1/2") clay pots to start with. Bathroom cups underneath for "saucers".
Have used the tiny plastic ones too. Main reason I like the clay is that you cannot over-water in clay.
It just dissipates through the walls. Kind of a safety check.
Recycle...recycle...idea. The tops that come on Yogurts holding the cereal crumbles make
excellent little saucers for small pots. As do lids from jars and containers.

In the winter--I line all these little pots along my window sashes. Many times--I forget to water them,
and some of them start looking a bit shrivel up.

In the summer & fall, they all sit just outside my front door on 2 small, loose wire plant stands.
See my photo above on Aug. 8th. No sun at all--as my house faces North. Perfect, bright shade!
About a month ago--I potted them all up in 4" plastic pots. The kind AV's come in.
They visibly perked up. I still used the Pro Mix as it is light and well draining.
I think I mixed in a bit of moist Coir into it as well. BOY! Does that stuff hold water a long time!!!!

Depending on what I am rooting--some plants get put under my grow lights to help them along.
Such as Coleus, and the Brazilian plume. Brugs., etc. Why not use your light set-up for this purpose,
as it is not needed for seedlings? Even some newly potted up CC sections...to give them a head start.

I like giving people well cared for cuttings and plants. Just my anal way...and it is appreciated.

Pippi--overall, I think what also helps is that I do not fuss a lot about my plants---many times
they are actually ignored. I think plants like a bit of "being ignored"...
As I often forget to water my small plants (inside), the soil gets to dry out which has a couple of benefits as well.

Here are some pictures for you, Pippi.
1--Last Christmas--all these new sections rooting--started in December.
2--Pots on window sashes
3--some babies decide to bloom...:o) Cute!
4--Using my light set-up for cuttings in the winter. Coleus do SOOO well this way!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9236699

Gita..thanks for your response..I really appreciate you taking time to share your gardening experience and knowledge with me and others. I don't have a light set up and don't know where I could squeeze one in. The garage is not heated, and that would be a perfect place because we just sold our Ford Ranger so I have room to walk in there now! I'm waiting till cooler weather to go through and clean all the cabinets out and re-organize things. I did a little bit last Thursday but when the temp reached 91 and the sweat starting running into my eye and it stinging, it was time to call it quits for that day. I'm trying to do a little bit the day before trash pickup day so it doesn't have to sit out in the way for too long. I got rid of a wooden trellis we'd had for years and after I thought I should had offered it to somebody in the MAG group. Don't want DH to say he didn't want that to go out and put it back, like an old wood baseball bat that he pitched a fit about me throwing out.

Where do you find the Pro-mix? Very few stores over our way sell it but I think Behnke's at Beltsville might. That's probably 20 miles or more..They have a wonderful nursery, just not close by..HD is only 1 mile from us..so you know that means MG or Scotts.

Where do you buy those little terra cotta pots? Online? I have lots of the plastic nursery pots, all sizes but I want to order more 3 in. for cuttings. Have lots of the 4 in. size.

Do you dig all your spring bulbs up after they finish blooming each year and let them dry outside till foliage dieds , then store them in a cool place? I was looking on one of the garden supply websites online and saw Bulb pots. Although I mark the location of the bulbs when planted, somehow they go missing or I end up stepping on them by next Spring and don't know what's planted where..I was thinking I could use the bulb pots to plant them in and get them deep enough so that the top edge is above ground so it would be visable to see by pulling the mulch back a bit. Could always spray paint the top edge of the pot so it makes it easier to see plus insert a metal plant ID marker there too. When the blooming is finished, just lift that pot of bulbs and let the foliage dies.

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9236716

Behnkes is selling caladiums in 4inch pots for a dollar this week. $2 for 6 inch. A steal!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9236741

Pippi--

Gonna make this shorter...I have been at the computer now a couple of hours...

I think stores like S. States (or similar) sell it. I know that Jill buys a lot of this stuff.
I believe she orders it on-line???? Please ask her...
I bought my bale at a local farm store/Nursery. They grow and pot a lot of their own plants.
A Grower business would surely have some. Some of the bigger Nurseries???

You can buy the all sizes of clay pots at large craft stores--like AC Moore or Michaels.
They are not heavy--as they are meant for crafts, but the go on sale now and then.
I have collected mine over the years of working around greenhouses and plants.
Many of the small cacti come in these. I shamelessly hoard any empty pots from
discarded plants--even if I can get to them at the HD.

Pippi--
Yogurt containers are just the right size for cuttings. Now with all the Greek Yogurts, those pots arne nicely
shallow and pretty. To make drainage holes in these--get a pair of pliers, to hold the long nail, and then
heat it hot over your stove burner and melt 2-3 holes in the bottom of these containers.
Voila! Instant little pots... Didn't cost you anything extra either...

Your Garage may work for a light set-up, you would just have to run a small heater and fan in there.
I do not know what temps are necessary for seedlings??????...Again--ask Jill.
All her light set-ups are in her basement--but that is part of her house, and, probably heated.

No! I do not dog my spring bulbs up--as a rule. But--I wanted this one bed clear of all the smothering, dying off foliage
and decided to totally clear it out from any bulbs. I bet you I missed some--and they will come again.
Some of the smaller bulbs just get dug up as I plant my annuals. Then--I am NOT going to put them back!
Except my Wood Hyacinths. I do not want to lose those...

OK! Gotta run...Need to update my "haves/Wants/Promised to Post.

Took this picture just now to give you some ideas.
Note the little saucers-- in front--the tops to yogurt containers that come with granola on top.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9236959

Just a note on my Red Easter Cctus. To those who may want to ask for one.

Other than ONE I have growing----I just yesterday potted up all the new cuttings.
I would not want to pass along freshly potted up cuttings to anyone. What if they don't root?

SO--If you really, really want to have one--please wait until the Spring Plant Swap in May.

Ruby--Can you wait until May to get yours??? Sorry...I just mentioned that I had potted up some--
in my "Haves" list--not that I had any ready to share. Perhaps I should remove it...

Thank you all for understanding . Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9237209

Gita, I bet those cuttings will start striking roots by swap time. You may as well save some space on your window sashes for other babies! :-)

Sally, do you still have a Sanseveria 'Moonlight' available? THat's such a pretty cultivar. I'll see if I can get a little start out of my pot to give you in return... it's not the more usually gold & green but rather green striped with the same sort of silvery color 'Moonlight' has. (noid, though)

I get my Pro Mix at Southern States or at Dutch Plant Farm... except when I can sweet talk Ric into picking up some for me near their place, where it's $10 to $14 cheaper. I do go through a LOT of it with my current approach of growing baby plants into trade gallon size or bigger before planting out... but it's less $$ than it would be to just buy big plants (or maybe I just end up with more plants for my $). LOL
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9237235

I would also be interested in the moonlight mothers tongue. I have a bunch of the regular green mothers tongue or snake plant. I will bring it, it can probably be split a bunch if necessary.

Paul

*Guilty of buying 10 caladiums from behnke in beltsville...couldn't resist the $1 4 inch pot.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9237247

Jill--

I noticed all your bales of pro Mix at the Fall Swap. Yours seemed bigger than the one I got at
Richardson Farms for $19. However--it is soooo compressed--that it will do me for 2-3 seasons
of cuttings and plantings. It IS good stuff! I am about 1/2 way through the one I got.
Maybe if you have an extra one, you could sell it to Pippi. What YOU pay may be a bit much than she can pay.

I KNOW my Easter cactus will root. I DO!!! I just do not want to take the chance of giving away half-rooted plants.
I want to know they are well rooted and on their way to future success...besides--I will not have THAT many!!!

There are other people I would like to share this plant with than Dg'ers. Like-JB. She is my special DG'er lady.
Have to think ahead. Have to consider other people as well.
Also a couple special people at my HD. that are avid gardeners. Like Susan. The one with the house in VA.

Plants are always there! One just has to treat them well--propagate them with love--and then pass them on.
BUT--always keep a few for myself.

Gita

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9237722

I am going to be moving from the townhouse I currently live in into a larger place by the end of this month (still not an apt to myself but 2 rroms and my own bathroom and private entrance at least). I mention this because Sharon (who owns the townhouse) said she wants the backyard to be just grass so all she has to do is mow it. This means I may be digging up all the plants I have planted over the last 2 &1/2 years so I may be bringing some to the swap.

Thumbnail by Catbird423   Thumbnail by Catbird423

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9237737

Urk! Too bad Sharon can't get a new tenant who loves the gardens... on the other hand, now you can take whatever you want and not feel like you have to leave it "pretty" when you go. Does your new place have better garden space, too?

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9237741

It does have a larger yard and a goldfish pond. I will have to see what kind of trouble I can get into there, haha.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9238284

Anybody want seed trays or liners? I have a stash and I think it is finally getting cleaned up and developed. I plan on one more visit. Place requests but I can't promise anything.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9238331

Whoa Robin- . Hope that all works out OK. You can drop things here for babysitting if you'd like, if you want to store them and see if you can use them. Or maybe holler next week, I can run down and help you dig--? next Sat ? Sun? Need pots, run by here and steal them- in back under the trees, by the bench.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9238342

Paul..can you post a picture of what you are talking about trays and liners?
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9238345

Not really because I don't have them yet..
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9238415

If you're rescuing them from somewhere, Paul, I could use some 1020 web flats if available... They're nice for when I want to carry half a dozen plants across the yard at a time but don't want to get out the wheelbarrow. I've also found that they let me keep my "nursery area" sort of sorted out (grouping similar plants or keeping starts of the same plant together). For liners, I confess I start new each year rather than washing & bleaching the used 6-packs. (So if anybody wants "gently used" 6-packs next spring, just let me know.) I don't usually bother bleaching nursery pots, but the liners are used inside, and those little seedlings just seem more prone to "issues" if I don't start fresh.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9238481

Chantell, How tall does that grass get? If it is less than 3ft I would like some if there is any left.
donnerville, Is that variegated dwarf sweet flag? I could use some of that for the new water feature.
Greenthumb, I could use some of the Platycodon ‘Astra Semi-Double Lavender’ if you have more.
I will try to get my have's and wants list up by the end of the week. I did post a few things.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9239228

UMD_Terp...I found the posting that you showed how you did your cuttings/rootings of Azalea or Rhodies..the wrapped wire..do you buy that from Home Depot or Lowe's or a good hardware store? Does it have a plastic coating on the wire? What gauge of wire is it?
The gallon size plastic bags..are they like ziploc pr Glad type bags? It is hard to tell from the picture..I would think the plastic bags you get in produce dept. would be too thin, unless you doubled them.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9239232

Pippi- any gauge wire will do it just has to be pliable (to make the hoop) and covered in plastic (so it doesn't corrode). The bags can be anything that will cover it and seal. You are creating an environment similar to a greenhouse.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2012 6:16 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9239239

Pippi---

You can buy any grade of wire in a craft store.
Look in the aisles where jewelery supplies are sold.

Gita
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9239358

Gita..went to Michael's yesterday afternoon and found the terra cotta pots but didn't get them because I didn't know what size yours were, but now I know where they are/with saucers. Also saw the Greek Yogurt that you showed in the photo..Have an 8 oz. sour cream container about ready to throw out so I will wash it out and save it. I noticed now the Greek yogurt is now coming in a variety of flavors so I will try it probably next week. We just went to the grocery store and I loaded up with some portion control snacks.

I remember when I first started wintersowing 3 yrs. ago, I walked through the grocery store and in doing that realized there were a lot of food items that came in plastic containers that could be used for WS along with plastic milk jugs..Guess I'll have to do the same with the cuttings project.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9239494

Pippi---

The first time I tried Winter Sowing--I went by the advice of some of those that had done it before.
The MILK JUGS!!! UGH! Hard to open once cut. Hard to water. Bulky.
Hard to remove the seedlings...etc.

There are better alternatives--like the perforated (top and bottom) containers that grapes and
strawberries come in. Also--other fruits and veggies.
Containers that cookies and finger-foods come in. Party serving trays with dome tops.
So--you may have to melt a few drainage holes--but the top will open easily.
Water drains out the bottom and rain dribbles in through the top. And--because these are clear plastic--
light filters in at all times.
Just walk your grocery's produce dept. and think "outside the box"...

Gita

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9239501

Holly it is under 3'. If y'all think it would be ok to divide the plant I'm happy to do so.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 13, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9239708

I just wanted to comment that I really like the idea of trading or giving away gardening items other than plants to other gardeners here. Ric and Holly with their bamboo stalks is an example...extra nursery pots, seedling trays...love the idea. Heck, might even motivate me to go through my garden storage some time and see if I have things to offer too.

Please start your week by knowing that each and every one of you are the very best.

Ruby
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2012

Post #9239783

How sweet, Ruby. And right back atcha. Looking forward to getting together with e eryone.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9240080

[quote="HollyAnnS"]Chantell, How tall does that grass get? If it is less than 3ft I would like some if there is any left.
donnerville, Is that variegated dwarf sweet flag? I could use some of that for the new water feature.
Greenthumb, I could use some of the Platycodon ‘Astra Semi-Double Lavender’ if you have more.
I will try to get my have's and wants list up by the end of the week. I did post a few things. [/quote]

Holly, I have a loads of this plant. I will bring some for you to the swap.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9240313

Geee Ruby, how sweet of you, thank you!! < =D Of course you realize you fit right into that "best" package. =)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9240705

Was someone asking about Burgundy Glow Ajuga? I have some.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9240760

Ooh me me me! :)

I'd love some burgundy glow ajuga, Holly. Thank you!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9240785

I knew someone asked just couldn't remember who. I'll put you down for it.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 14, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9241061

Have to admit that I had to do a search on Ajuga and Brunnera which I have heard mentioned here recently but I am not familiar with. Thankfully, I am not interested in either. John will be happy to hear that. Before each and every swap he says to me that we won't be bringing anything home with us...with a plea in his voice. Anyway, this may just be a time that I won't have a car load coming home, but it is still early I realize.

I finally sat down and made a readable list of plants offered and to who, and plants I have requested. Until now, they were scrap pieces of paper with jotted notes on them sitting on my desk. Next step will be updating my HAVES list and then I need to set about getting the things I am offering in to a traveling state for their ride in the car.

Without going to actually inspect my house plant collection and just recalling from memory I have the following things to offer:

Hawaiian Spider Plants
Pink Wax Begonias
Aloes
Solid Purple Wandering Jew
rootings for small house plants sedums
Coleus rootings
Mother of Thousands plants

I will list them here as well as on the page where they are supposed to be. On the Thursday or Friday before the swap, I will write a list of what I am bringing and to who, and also list the things I have requested of others and then ask for no more requests as we will probably pack the car late on Friday. So, here is hoping that I can share some of these with you good folks. Have a great day all.

Ruby

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2012
2:37 AM

Post #9241993

[quote="Ruby"] John will be happy to hear that. Before each and every swap he says to me that we won't be bringing anything home with us...with a plea in his voice. Anyway, this may just be a time that I won't have a car load coming home, but it is still early I realize. [/quote]

LOL, I don't know why, but cracked me up BIG TIME!! < =D

I was wondering, would there be any need for me to bring extra boxes for people to take home their new babies? I could snag some from work if anyone thinks it would be helpful to bring extras. Lemme know and I'll start confiscating today. =) (and I'll be sure to bring FIVE extra boxes for Ruby!!) < =D LOL!!!!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9242035

LOL, Here is a pic of the Wine Red Daylily I have to trade. Probably came from John & Ruby. I don't know the name but if anyone can ID it for me I would appreciate it.
http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/si/270825/

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9242057

Just reminding everyone that I am rooting a lot of Wandering Jew and also Swedish Ivy.
Also Campanula Elizabeth (from Greenthumb as well as 2 yr. old CC's.

Any requests???? Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9242080

I'd love some purple wandering Jew from Ruby, and Gita I think you've got the "regular" one? I'd love some of it, too, please. They would be wonderful growing near each other, either in a hanging basket or as "ground cover" in a larger pot. Thank you!

Holly, you mentioned that's a smaller bloom on your wine DL... does it ever rebloom for you? Reminds me of 'Little Grapette', which is a rebloomer. Fewer rebloomers = easier to get a probable ID.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9242081

Gita, I'd like some of the Swedish Ivy.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9242083

No doesn't re bloom. I guess it would be more of a medium size than small.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9242090

I would like an ivy and a wandering...if you don't mind me regifting it to an apartment bound friend.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9242097

Got you all down...

Terp--would you like to have my ONE Dr. Seuss Brug cutting that is growing nicely?
It is just a small stem piece with nice leaves on it. Everyone else that wanted any got them
at the spring Swap at Holly's.

You asked me about my Brugs on another Post...now you can have your own...LMK!
Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9242124

Gita- Of course that would be excellent! I figured one spring sooner or later there would be one available. Great!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9242813

Pippi---

I just checked all the "Wants" ans "Haves" Thread.
You WANTED A Frans Hals" Day Lily. Donner has offered you some.
I could share one with you as well. Would have to dig it up. Let me know.

You also mentioned starts of Th-Giving cactus. Did you see my offer of many?
I have them in 4" pots and they are all growing well. Let me know on this as well.
I have the usual Fuchsia/White--Red--Salmon (only a few)--and Pink--not yet bloomed..No pictures...

From you--I would like to have some of your "Basket of Gold Alyssum".

Terp--Got you down for my one and only Dr. Seuss baby brug...

Gita

1--Here are all of my Baby CC's growing...ALL doing great!
2--Terp--Here is my baby Dr. Seuss just waiting to be adopted by YOU!

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9242840

Holly, I just saw that you're offering alocacia. I'd love one, please! It's been so much fun growing my first elephant ears this year. :)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9242925

gotcha
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9243087

Gita- that is great, thank you. What's your secret with pickles? Mine came out too salty.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9243229

Just checking in to say that several things have kept me from participating in this thread. Lots of extra baby sitting for my kids (happy thing) and crushing news that my best friend has been diagnosed with a really mean type of breast cancer and will start treatment after more tests and surgery in early September (very very sad thing). We have been friends since Kindergarten and in each others lives constantly and forever. She confessed to me all her fears and one of them is the fact that she will be released from the hospital after an overnight stay and then alone at home for whatever follows. I told her that I would travel to her on the day she is released and will be staying with her until she feels well enough to be alone. There will probably be other people to spell me on the weekends, but I'm not sure what the situation will be by September 15th. I'll keep you posted.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 16, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9243234

Oh Roses, so very sorry about your friend. So sad for both of you. Please keep us posted when you can.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9243261

Oh, honey, big hugs for you both. You are such a good friend!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9243263

Terp---
Just sent you a D-mail with my pickle recipe.

Yours are too salty???? Don't know what you do---but you CANNOT
use regular, iodized table salt.
Need either Kosher salt or Pickling Salt. NOT sure if/how Sea Salt would work?????
My recipe is from before Sea Salt became "the salt" to use for everything.

I will re-pot the little Brug in a bigger pot for you so it can grow bigger over the winter.
You will need to treat it as a houseplant--in a nice, sunny window.

Gita
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 16, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9243287

Gita, I have Basket of Gold alyssum on my Wish list.(wants)..I do not have any to offer.

I don't recall reading where Donnerville offered me any Frans Hal..I think it was SallyG who wrote that she had a Frans Hal look alike.

You must have mistaken me for somebody else because I did not request a brug.

Yes, I did ask for a Holiday Cactus from you. I said I wouldn't be picky about color.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 16, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9243375

Speedie, you are learning fast. I don't actually need five boxes, cut two or three might be nice if you will have room to transport them. I especially liked the way that Gita did her box at the last swap, the one I got anyway. It made for good transporting as well as good display.

Critter, have you down for the Purple Wandering Jew. Maybe it will bloom a pretty lavender bloom for you. All others, I have noted most requests, just haven't updated my HAVE/REQUESTS post yet, but will do so soon.

I watered houseplants last evening and see that I am going to have a lot of of Begonias to share...hint, hint, hint...ya'll. At the moment most are blooming their little hearts out. Also wanted to say that a two leafed stem of a different sort of Begonia that I got from Ric and Holly some time ago is now busting out of its pot with growth. I sure did baby that thing over the winter and it sure has paid off . I am also amassing quite a few Angel Wing Begonias too if anyone is interested in one.

Holly, I had John take a look at this picture and he doesn't recognize it right off. He has a catalogue of Day Lilies that he will bring to the swap and let you look through to compare and see if any of ours are like yours and hopefully they will be labeled with a name. I was kind of sad to see the Day Lilies go this year. A few stragglers hanging on and blooming a bit though.

Hope that everyone is having a decent enough week. RrR, if you can make it to the swap, that would be great. I know that your presence will mean a lot to your ill friend.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9243688

Ruby---

If you want to save some of the plants you are offering so you can sell them--I have enough
W-Jew and AW Begonias to share. Plenty of Swedish Ivy too.
I really do not want to find room in my house for all these cuttings i am rooting to swap.

That's what happens---
--I get a plant from someone (like the campanula Elizabeth) and now I have
10 new cuttings to share.
--I decide to trim back my Wandering Jew--and now I have 12 pots of rooted cuttings to share...
--I decide that the World no longer even knows what a Swedish Ivy is--so now I have 12 pots of that to share.

Such is the obsessive life of us gardeners...

****What's with the NEW format for replying and uploading pictures????? There is NOWHERE to reply!
It does not seem to have an open area for a reply...am I the only one seeing this????

Then it says that "You may upload up to 5 images. Press Control to upload more than one image...???
There is NO LONGER a "BROWSE" option!!! Just a little window that says "Upload"...

When did this happen? I noticed it first early this morning...

What's happening??????? Gita

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9243710

Gita - The box for "Your message" is only faintly outlined, with no delineated bottom as of this post, but it still works the same. The "Upload" button works the same as the old "Browse" button. Haven't tried to load multiple images yet, but I'm assuming the instruction to "press CTRL " will get the job done.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9243721

David--

I just uploaded 5 photos on a Post. There was no text. Pressed "send"--and they all went in a flash!
Not 100% sure all the photos were ones I chose????

Maybe this is their new way with dealing with problems uploading photos.
What do you think???? They finally figured something out?????

However--when I click inside the "barely visible" Reply window--the cursor does not show.
HMMMM...I AM replying to you! So--I guess i am looking at the wrong window...
I HATE changes!!!!! I get used to things one way--and then it all changes...

Like yesterday--I went to work and sat down by my phones (I am the phone Operator at my HD)
and--WHAMOOO! There was a whole new Phone System! New equipment! New phones!
NEW ways to route calls! Tell you! I freaked out!
OH! They had a small pamphlet on how to work everything--but the calls were coming in--and i was like---
"Whoops! I think I pressed the wrong button!!!"...
They just spring new things on you--without someone showing you how all the new stuff works...:o((

Gita

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2012
3:11 AM

Post #9244301

That's very odd Gita, 'cause on my screen here everything looks the same as before, a clearly outlined box within which to type, and the "browse" button where it always was, next to the little box above which it says "First Image". Hmmmmm Maybe you could ask about it in the computer help forum?

Roses, I am soooo sorry to hear about your friend!! =( I will keep the both of you in my prayers. While I was looking forward to meeting you at Sally's next month, your dear friend is your top priority and I'm sure we all understand if you're not able to make it. We support you 100000%. Please pass along a warm gentle hug to her for me?

Ruby, ... heeheeheee, I can't help but giggle thinking about you and extra boxes now. =) It will be no problem at all to bring extras, for you and whoever else might need them. Driving a pick-'em-up truck (with a back seat) has its advantages. =)

Hope someone will need growers' pots as well, 'cause I'll be bringing a small army of those too. =)
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9244336

Gita David and Speedie, None of us is imagining things. Seems Terry (Admin) and tech team has been fooling around again!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1275352/

Hope my old browsers will continue to work here...

Roses, you are a friend in deed. Prayers all around.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9244367

Apparently I've exited the Twilight Zone since my browser now looks the same as it did two days ago. Perhaps yesterday was a "test drive" of changes to come.

Edited to add: What a great name for a musical group, Terry and the Tech Team. (Techno rock no doubt.)

This message was edited Aug 17, 2012 1:27 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9244622

do,do doot,do,- do. do, doot do Seems every one is wondering that!!lol

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9244941

Coleup, thank you, for a minute there I thought a few of the members got started on the Mint Juleps a little early. ;)

Terry and the Techno Team, excellent name! I want a CD!! =)
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 17, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9244983

Yeah, I missed all of that too David, thankfully. Coleup, I am so glad that you spoke up. Heck lady, you almost got a phone call yesterday asking where the heck you have been. Too quiet here with out you. So good that you reported in.

Gita, hmmm...The Wandering Jew I am speaking of...the solid purple is not the striped zebra sort. This is solid purple and often gives off a pinkish bloom. I have had the plant for years and years, receiving it from Wind a million years ago. I didn't know until last year that it was a Wandering Jew. I will try to snap a photo and post here in case Jill wants to change her mind and in case you do have some of that, and then I will take back my offer of it and hold on to it.

Thing with selling this year, is that instead of Farmers Marketing, John spent most of the summer roofing. I think in September he might go back to the market a few times, but I have loads of the things I offered, so no biggie. Thank you for thinking about me though, appreciate it.

Off to snap a few photos and hopefully post here.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 17, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9245001

Hawaiian Spiders and Purple Wandering Jew

Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 17, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9245004

First picture is of a type of Zinnia seed from Jill and Joyanna. They are so very sweet and I have loved them. I sure hope I can figure out how to save the seeds, because I will definitely want to grow these again.

Second picture is the Begonia that Ric and Holly gave me a couple of years back.

Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 17, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9245008

First pic is two unnamed Coleus that I have loads of. I can start rootings for anyone who is interested. These things have grown like crazy this summer and came from rootings I started last year.

Second picture is a Green Oxalis that I have loads of to offer also. Just let me know.

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 17, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9245010

Bloody Dock from Ric and Holly which has amazed any visitors I have had this summer. Everyone loved it.

Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 17, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9245015

Last pic. Elephant Ears from Coleup.

Thumbnail by rubyw

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9245050

Ruby---

What you call solid purple Wandering Jew is NOT really a Wandering Jew. At least that is what I think...
Of course--people call their plants whatever they want to call them.
For one--the WJ trails and yours has rigid, upright stems.

Maybe someone else can chime in...

The ONLY Wandering Jew i have ever known is the one with the stripes...and it roots like crazy in a matter of days and
is used as a HB or as a trailing plant in Containers.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/596/ This is from PF.

Gita

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9245059

Wandering Jew is a common name applied to a two dozen different plants, mostly Tradescantia species and cultivars. One of the drawbacks of using common names. See http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=wandering+jew&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9245065

David---
I almost included in my reply that Ruby's looks more like a "Moses in the Cradle"----but deleted it.
Do you think it may be closer to that one?

I even Googled it and looked it up in PF. But--i was insecure that my opinion would have been valid...

Thanks for jumping in! Do you think Ruby's plant is a "Wandering Jew"????

Gita

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9245109

Oh boy! I'm really not the one to ask about houseplants, but I would say that the plant in question is Purple Heart/Purple Wandering Jew, a Tradescantia species. I believe that with Moses-in-the-Cradle the topside of the leaf differs from the under side, but I'm sure that others on this forum are much more qualifed to address your questions.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9245172

My 2cents. From pictures, Ruby's plant via Wind is a wandering jew. I call it 'setcretsea, Purple Heart'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tradescantia_pallida

but there are several varieties some of which are winter hardy to zone 7b! and are starting to show up in some mass landscape plantings around here. Easy to grow and propagate, loves the heat as is native to Mexico, I think. There are multiple other 'regular' wandering jews (trandescantias) grown as house plants as Greenthumb has linked

Gita, look at Ruby's second picture to see those trailing stems not so apparent in ist pic.
'Moses in a cradle' or 'Moses in a boat ' (Roheo http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/650/} is similar in leaf shape. color, flower form but grows more from a rosette base of multiple leaves rather than single stems that wander out. It. too, is grown as a house plant.

Ruby, not guessing here, your unnamed coleus on the left is named 'Henna'

Edited to say that Greenthumb, as our 'zones' continue to warm, more and more 'houseplants ' will become regular garden plants! lol. get ready!

This message was edited Aug 17, 2012 9:29 PM

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9245186

Coleup, thanks for the ID of the coleus in Ruby's photo. Can you make an educated guess as to the coleus on the right?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9245222

Best guess just for you David coleus to the right is "Electric Lime" a relatively new introduction. Both E Lime and Henna are sun coleus. Cute aren't they!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9245284

Warning - ignorant question ahead: 'Sun Coleus' = coleus that does well in sun? If so I'd love some
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9245316

Ruby - I would love a false shamrock and the red coleus if it isn't too much trouble.

- Paul

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #9245393

Chantell: Easy answer: Yes Ma'am, that's exactly what it means. =)

I'm with Coleup, Ruby's "Purple Wandering Jew" looks to me like a Tradescantia variety, aka: Setcretia, also known in many circles as a type of "Wandering Jew". I've got 2 lovely Setcretia (ie: Tradescantia) Purpurea on my shady tables out back... I'll get a pic or two later to share. =)
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9245406

I am very interested to see the differences.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9245410

Pippi---

This weeks ad for "AC Moore" Craft store has all their clay pots and saucers on sale at 50% off.

This add runs until 8/19.

Not sure AC Moore is too wide a spread craft store. May be just in this area.
I like it better than Michael's. M. is too junky for my taste...

Here are two locations nearest to you. Rockville and Bowie.

Others: Mileage is from SS. MD. Gita

Rockville, MD

12013 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20852
(301) 881-5081

Store Map Store Specials Class Schedule Coupon Store Hours ACMoore Rewards Store Contest 6.25 miles

Baileys Crossroads, VA
5800 Crossroads Center Way

Falls Church, VA 22041
(703) 578-1401

Store Map Store Specials Class Schedule Coupon Store Hours ACMoore Rewards Store Contest 11.19 miles

Bowie, MD
3861 Evergreen Parkway

Bowie, MD 20716
(301) 262-3672

Store Map Store Specials Class Schedule Coupon Store Hours ACMoore Rewards Store Contest 16.04 miles

Fairfax, VA
9650 Main Street

Fairfax, VA 22031
(703) 764-2004

Store Map Store Specials Class Schedule Coupon Store Hours ACMoore Rewards Store Contest 16.97 miles

Sterling, VA
20020 Ashbrook Commons Plaza

Ashburn, VA 20147
(703) 858-9565

Store Map Store Specials Class Schedule Coupon Store Hours ACMoore Rewards Store Contest 24.2 miles

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9245414

Good morning Terp! =)

Let's see if this can help any at all... http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dictionary/houseplant/tradescantia/
You can see at that website some of what are more "commonly" called Wandering Jews (like the ever-popular striped variety), but also there's that "Setcretia" (sp?) as well, (like the ones that I've got).
Then there's this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tradescantia_pallida link that Coleup was kind enough to provide for us.

... or, did you mean, you'd like to "see" them, like, in person? < =D If you really wanna start seeing, then I can bring you a cutting from one of mine! < =D That can at least get ya started from somewhere. =)
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9245437

Good morning! I think I am good thanks. It is not a hard thing to believe especially considering those plants with thousands of cultivations, self prescribed experts for certain plants often can't tell the difference. I have had this discussion once or twice and it appears the rush for commercialization and lack of long term study of new cultivars has diluted the pool and led to the.oversight of the better performers.

It would be interesting to do one hanging pot with all the wandering jews in it.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9245560

I think a cutting or two of each in a bottle or vase hanging in my window for the winter would look good , too.(along with some coleus cuttings)

http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi

Below a pic of my setcretea 'Purple Queen'

from Plant Delights site, two larger cultivars for use in landscape plantings
http://www.plantdelights.com/Setcreasea/products/346/

Thumbnail by coleup

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9245609

Coleup - I agree with your winter arrangement
We had such an awful year with impatiens that were going to switch to a combo of vinca and coleus next year.

Do you grow them from seed every year? My only successful seed attempt other than squash and beans has been blanket flower.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9245790

coleup---

I like your idea of mixing up all kinds of trailing plants in one HB--or vase, as you stated---
would look good. However--I just do not have room for any more HB's or anything else in my house.

As it is--I just added another one today. One of my cuttings of Epi #2 (the gorgeous, pink one)
has been growing in a 4" pot for 2+ years. I decided to "liberate it" to a 10" HB for future happiness.

I know it will be a couple years, or more, bf this becomes pot-bound and blooms.
Then--maybe NOT!

Paull
If you would. please, check my Trade List--you will see the amount of different seeds I have to offer.
Some can be planted NOW (biennials)--some in early spring, grown from seed.

I have grown soooo many plants from seed!!!

--Here is my Red Epi in a new pot--with lots of room to grow...
--Her is what it will look like, hopefully, in a few years...

Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9245825

gita..thanks for the information. Yes, I know where the new A.C. Moore store is but I haven't been to it yet. Does that sale say it will be good through tomorrow? That's a great sale..but there's always 'another sale" going on..Michael's is 1 mile from me. I'd say I'd run there today but it's almost time to start thinking about fixing dinner. Tonight the ladies are having a dessert party in honor of my #70 tomorrow..it's tonight at 7 and the store will be closed when we disband..Thanks for thinking about me though. I really appreciate it.

Last Fall at Jill's you gave me a spider plant and it's got lots of babies..I've had it outside all summer under the dogwood tree..can I take and break some of those babies off and transplant them to another pot? Maybe I should just bring it back inside so the babies can hang down and we can enjoy seeing all the "kids." I just dug up a celadine poppy aka woods poppy and was shocked that I could make a lot of plants out of the one..and did for the plant swap. I'm hoping to get the pink/purple coneflower dug up and hopefully I can divide that into at least 2 plants. I don't have a lot of large pots..
Will order some more to have on hand but they won't get here in time without me paying extra for shipping cost. Defeats the purpose. I will see the man that does my prunning and mulching and see if he has any large pots in his trailer next week. He gave me a bunch of 4 in. nursery pots that he said he would be throwing in trash. I may know where another stash might be..

This message was edited Aug 18, 2012 4:45 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9245850

Chapter #2 to today's doings here...

In the last week, I have done a lot of cutting-taking and rooting. Some of these will be for our spring Swap.
Some of them--for now...claim yours!!

My Spanish neighbor, Olga, has 3 different Fig trees/shrubs in her garden.
Each one is a different variety. Very sweet---Sweet--and not so sweet...
Her husband died, suddenly, 2 years ago. These were ALL in his "domain" to care for.
Olga has knee and hip issues--so she cannot do much of anything...
Half of HER garden--is also MY garden...as if i did not have enough to take care of...

I have taken several cuttings just now from all 3 of her Fig plants.
Some I took a few weeks ago have already rooted and are growing.
Took a new bunch today. These will root in their own time...soon!
Figs are borderline hardy in our area. It is suggested that they spend their 1st year in a Green House...

OH, well...My potted cuttings will spend the winter in a protected bed, next to my shed--
facing East, under a pile of leaves---pots dug into the bed to make sure.
Should have some of these for the spring Plant Swap.

I have also taken a zillion cuttings of my Endless Summer Hydrangea. I know most of them will root.
Just now--they are not ready. If you want to continue the care of rooting them...waiting...watering...
--I can bring you whatever you want. They always look great...
Even if they do not have roots--the tops will put out new growth and leaves.
Makes me think they are well on their way--but some fail the "tug test"...This is the deceiving part.

In case any of you missed this on my haves---I have two SMALL starts of the Dwarf, Purple Iris.
I also have 3 small pots of Euphorbia. These are growing all around my decaying Birch tree stump.
Multiplying by crawling under all the dead stumps and popping up wherever.

Ruby----

I WILL have a Red Easter Cactus for you after all. The cuttings are rooting well.
You will just have to be patient...More, for sure, at the Spring Swap...Do you want to wait until then?

And-PLEASE---liberate me from all the Spider Pant pots (reg. ones and the Curly ones)--
and the Swedish Ivy pots...Such a lovely plant in a HB!
I have already posted pictures of these--so I will not d o it again.

_AW Begonia---so you can see what it can look like in a couple of years...
--Endless Summer Hydrangea
--Euphorbia
--Dwarf, purple Iris
--My ONE, available, 8"pot of Purple Ornamental Peppers. WHO wants it????

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9245865

Pippi---

You can ALWAYS pull off the "babies" from a Spider Plant. They will make more...

Put the "babies" in a glass of water--for just a couple of weeks---to plump up the dry roots--
and them pot them up in small pots--or group them (2 or 3) in a small HB.

They WILL also root if you put them straight in soil---but the couple weeks in water gives them a head start.

Spider plants, after a few years, become severely root bound. They will still grow---
as the roots make these bulbous, translucent "bulbs" that store water.

To "refresh" their growing--remove the whole plant from the HB and get a sharp knife.
Cut the outer layer of the root-ball off--maybe 1" or so--and also the bottom.
You can also cut the whole root-ball in sections--like an apple.
Be brave!!! This WILL NOT hurt the plant!!!
Re-pot each section in a new pot in fresh potting mix. Water sparingly until it settles back in.

These will all re-grow as new, wonderful plants...Trust me!!!!! Also a good way to propagate and share...

I will have a bunch of new Spider Plants to share at the Swap. Both regular--and the curly ones.
If you would like to have some--post your "Wants"...Be glad to share.

Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9246059

Ruby, thanks for posting that photo... I do have that Tradescantia (solid purple), so you can give mine to somebody else.

Zinnia seeds are easy, just pluck off the dried flowers... seeds will be mixed with the petals. I don't bother separating seeds from chaff with zinnias. I've had some folks start second generation Zahara Starlight Rose, and they seem to come true, at least the F2 generation. :-)

will try to catch up more later... busy busy with my birthday girl this week! today was party day. :-)

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9246172

Thanks Speedie. Ruby - if you have enough, may I have a bit of your Sun Coleus'?

Gita - how old (large) does the figs need to get before they produce fruit?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2012
1:55 AM

Post #9246235

Chantelle---

I do not know...maybe you could Google it?

My neighbor's BIG tree grew up to her 2nd story window. As wide as it was tall...
It has been there "forever"--so I do not know how long ago they actually planted it.
This big one makes the sweetest figs! The tree was cut back last year--so not too many
figs this year.

The other two she has are much smaller. One is smack against the house--and almost
under the overhang. This one makes very lg., purplish figs.

The third one is more a bush. Extremely prolific! It is totally covered with figs!
Olga says these will ripen in September.

The root easily...They are just like any other Ficus...Her husband used to just stick pieces in the ground...
Gita

PS--in case you are wondering what i am doing up before 5AM--we have a store meeting today at 6AM.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2012

Post #9247046

Figs will fruit even when they're just a couple feet tall (maybe just 2 or 3 figs, but still). Ours didn't give us many until last year, when we got a couple dozen... and this year it's loaded. They're just starting to ripen, so I picked 11 this morning -- enough for everybody to try one at breakfast. Yum!! There is just nothing like a fresh fig. I wrapped it in burlap last winter, not that it turned out to be necessary given our mild temps. This year, it's gotten really big, so at best I might be able to wrap the bottom part (if it dies back, maybe it won't die back all the way to the ground? or maybe it's just big enough to not die back over the winter now).

I took a couple little shoots from my bay tree, looks like at least one is rooting well... anybody interested? It's tender and will need to come in for the winter, but it's so nice to have a couple of fresh leaves to toss into soup or stew...
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2012
2:53 AM

Post #9247215

Gita..made it to A.C. Moore's and bought 6 of the small terracotta pots/saucers for 50%. Thanks for letting me know about the sale. Saw it in newspaper yesterday morning and went after we got home from church..

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9247279

Gita, I'll take a fig rooting. Bring two LOL.
I have a fig bush bought as nursery plant with just a couple 24 inch stems, in fall 2010. This year it is growing past three feet, still not many stems, and has eight figs on it. It a Brown Turkey I think, and I have one stems 'bricked' to the ground and rooting. As I seem to be practically a zone 8 down here in protected spots, I did not wrap it or anything over winter. I can pass along a rooted Brown Turkey if anyone wants that named variety. They self pollinate so it's not as if you have to have more than one. Course, the ones by Gita all seem to be very hardy in her area...

Happy birthday Pippi!

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2012

Post #9247328

Gita and Sally, we have been planning to try growing figs, so a suite of starts would be wonderful. Gita, what are you referring to with the abreviation HB?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9247332

Are Figs hardy in my Zone 6? I noticed they sell them at our local Lowes. I would love to have one of your Brown Turkeys Sally. Going to look that one up.
Oh Yes it says it is an Everbearer good to Zone 5.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2012 9:07 AM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9247344

Sally--

This is the big tree that has grown up to the top of the 2-story house.
The figs on this one are green, med. size--but sweet as honey.

Think you have room for something like this??????
Will bring you one cutting of this---and one from the one near their back fence--which is like a big bush--
covered in figs. These are a bit darker when ripe--but also sweet.

Went and took some pictures just now...

1--The BIG fog tree--last year
2--the same--cut back and re-growing
3--The fig bush
4--many figs growing on this bush-ready by mid-end September
5--The third Fig--growing up against the house overhang. the figs on this are huge and dark maroon.
Not- very sweet! Probably started as a cutting--now too big to move...

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9247355

David---

OK! Will give you some fig cuttings---see above post to Sally. We cross-posted..
Most of these cuttings I just did Saturday...Hopefully--they all will root.
Olga (my neighbor) does not know the names of any of these.
The BIG one was brought over in a suit case from Italy and given to her by a friend.
The "bush" one (by the fence) was given to her by a friend right here...

HB stands for "Hanging Basket"----easier not to have to print it out all the time...

Holly----Just because Lowes (or HD) sell fig plants--does that mean they are hardy to this area?
Just wondering...
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2012

Post #9247368

You are right Gita, We had several plants that came in marked perennial that were only hardy to zone 7 not our zone 6.
I looked up Sally's Brown Turkey and it is hardy to zone 5 so I would be save with that one.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9247370

Thanks Gita! By the way, since HD and Lowes supposedly give a one-year replacement guarantee on their shrubs, it does not behoove them to sell out of their hardiness zone. Stores in Greensboro, NC will have selections differing from those in Baltimore, MD.

Edited to add: Holly, did those plants die on you? Hardiness on labels tend to be on the conservative side.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2012 9:33 AM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9247372

Gita- you can sign me up for the great fig experiment as well.

I have noticed three large fig trees in my area that grow on the south side of the house but are sandwiched between two houses, less than 20 feet between the two. I don't think they need as much full sun as some might think.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2012 11:17 AM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9247460

OK--Paul, David and sally----

Which fig cuttings do you want? They are all different...And--how many?
I think the "Bush" one is good if you do not have 20'x20 to spare.

Besides--there is an issue picking the ripe figs if they are 15' up in the tree..
Olga's husband used to go up a ladder to get them.
Half of them never got picked--as they were 2 stories up. The Wasps and the ants sure got their fill...

I can always do more cuttings--spring is best...but some of the bottom shoots do pretty well
even now.

you all DO realize the size of these at full maturity???? Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9247461

Holly, Greenthumb, Gita et al

Each year the corporate big wigs from lowes, hd, walmart etc get together with their contract growers/suppliers and contract based on previous years sales for "product' to be shipped to any of the stores that grower/supplier has in their ballywick. Profit margin, not zone hardiness, variety (except for nationally advertized 'sellers' like 'Knock out roses or Proven winners) customer preferences, good common sense(lol), size of store, weather, or ability to keep plants alive til sell thru gets factored in ...
So, there is a sameness to what gets shipped to every store by region with the overlap being the Philly area where supplies come from growers in the north or growers in the south. Growers in the south have warmer weather earlier on their side profit margin wise even though shipping costs and loses may be more. Growers in the south also have the margin advantage of being huge huge volume producers and lesser costs to import their growing stock from central and south america...

Very very little plant material is locally grown which is one of the reasons our swaps are so invaluable along with our forums. Gita and sally are now "our neighbors down the street/next door" who grow figs!

I could go on and on, but will repost this over on our designated "chat" thread" for comments
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276207/

This message was edited Aug 20, 2012 9:54 AM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9247469

I would prefer the smaller one, please.

Thank you and your neighbor!

This message was edited Aug 20, 2012 11:15 AM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9247510

I'd love a cutting from the "bush" fig, Gita, either now or a "water shoot" in spring would be fine. Thanks, and please thank your neighbor also!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 20, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9247607

Wow!!! Such a chatty bunch. First off, thanks Coleup and others for identifying the purple Wandering Jew. Gita, I too have seen pictures of Moses in the Basket, and when this plant blooms, it looks very much like a baby in a basket.

Thank you to Chantell and Paul for taking some of the Coleus off my hands. These things have gone completely crazy for me this summer. Also thanks for the ID's on those too Coleup. I brought you and Sally small rootings of those in the spring, but now have gigantic ones, if either of you are interested in having more...Got you down for green Oxalis too Paul.

Want to also say happy birthday to Pippi and to Joyanna. My gosh, how time flies when looking at the one time infants who are now ruling the roosts in which they reside. My grand daughter starts to school on Wednesday and I cannot believe how fast the last five years have flown by. I am going to miss seeing her as much as I have the past two years. My house will be much quieter without her here though, that is for sure.

Anyway...thanks for the great info supplied here today. Will do my best to remember what I have learned. You folks are the very best.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9248063

No Greenthumb, Not plants I bought just plants that I know won't overwinter here. The tags were marked zone 7 but also marked perennial which it isn't in our zone 6. I think there is just some cross over where there shouldn't be. I like going to the Lowes, HD and WM in the southern states I get some really nice Tropical plants at really good prices.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9248153

Gita this will be fine for me -quoting you-
"Will bring you one cutting of this---and one from the one near their back fence--which is like a big bush--
covered in figs. These are a bit darker when ripe--but also sweet."
Thank you mightily.!! If it starts getting too big I'll have to prune.

Holly as you asked specifically for Brown Turkey, I will mark my one rooted stem for you.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9248204

Yes, Please Sally

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9248300

Sally---Hmmm...

Have you down for the Bush one and--"this"...which one was "this"...The BIG one? I think so...

Need to clarify--as I no longer know what I was talking about.
All of a sudden--everyone wants Figs! It is OK--but I had 3 kinds i was offering...
Most of them barely rooting...but will do so...hope...hope...

SO--which one is "this????? The BIG one or the one by the house???
I get the "bush" one. I only have 4 cuttings of that going. I can always cut off more---it is quite bushy.

My neighbor does not care. Like I said--somewhere--her garden is also MY garden.
She has serious knee and hip problems--and is quite heavy. It is hard for her to garden.
I take care of it and water it...If I have no room for something in my beds--I plant it in one of hers...

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9248321

So sorry Gita, here is the complete quote.
This is the big tree that has grown up to the top of the 2-story house.
The figs on this one are green, med. size--but sweet as honey.

Think you have room for something like this??????
Will bring you one cutting of this---and one from the one near their back fence--which is like a big bush--
covered in figs. These are a bit darker when ripe--but also sweet.

So that is
Big huge tree one and the by the back fence one.

HOWEVER_ let greenthumb and Terp have the first dibs as they are starting out new.
Heaven knows what I'd be doing with all those figs. only two here eat them, the others rthnk they're weird.

My suggestion is IF you want to- add a new cutting to each pot you already have. No more pots, If they take they sure will NOT fill the pot with roots before the new owner can deal with it.

NO pressure! ONLY if you want to!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9248333

Yep, no pressure here either on the figs... If need be, I'll stage a raid and get my own cutting LOL... I'm glad the fence thing didn't stop you & your neighbor from being gardening buddies, though!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9248377

It isn't that urgent for me just thought it would be interesting. If there are multiple starts floating around mag I'm sure there will plenty more in the future. Not a big deal.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2012

Post #9248387

Jill---

This is NOT the "FENCE" neighbor (the ones from Pakistan)...that has the Fig trees...
This is my long time neighbor on the other side (from 1970) from Spain that I am talking about...
She is also an original owner of her house. Not many of us left here..
Her husband dropped dead 2 years ago--and she has never gotten over it yet...
She is depressed--misses him--is angry at him for dying...etc...
It will be a LONG, SLOW process before she has any normal interest in life again.

Here is the kicker----SHE never relied on him...SHE was/IS the Matriarch of the whole Clan.
What she misses is taking care of HIM--and cooking for HIM--and everyone else.
Basically--she has lost her reason for being who she always was.
That is what is depressing her...

The "Fence" neighbor is living inside her fence--I never see her--I never get to talk to her
and I miss my little buddy--Hamsah.
I was a main bridge to both of them in learning to speak English. They all speak Urdu.
Now--The few times I have seen Hamsah--he looks at me with a confused face.
I think he is not sure who I really am any more. Well--he is just 2 1/2 yrs old.

I miss our daily conversations with the Grandmother. She IS a good gardener...
I taught her a lot of English as well...I can do that--having been there--experienced that...

Her daughter said that she is sad because I was angry with her... Re the fence...YEAH!
Well--That lasted about a week...She needs to find another excuse. IF there is one...I do not think there is...

Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9248393

Paul---

What are you talking about???? You're GOOD!
I already put you down for a Fig plant--the "Bush" one...There is NO problema!!!

NO! I do not think there wall be multiple starts floating about MAG. WHO grows Figs around here????

I seem to be one of the instigators of plants no one can get anywhere else...
I am populating the MAG with plants no one here has heard of or is growing...
My big satisfaction in life...
Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9248460

[quote="Gitagal"]

I am populating the MAG with plants no one here has heard of or is growing...
My big satisfaction in life...
Gita[/quote]

HEE HEE! YUP
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9248691

I'm not sure if my fig is 'Brown Turkey' or 'Celeste', although I'm leaning toward 'Celeste' (I bought one then had to replace it before it even went into the ground... and I remember purchasing both those varieties, but I don't remember which one was first LOL).

Thanks for reminding me about your other neighbor... not sure how I could get them mixed up!

Although I asked for a cutting of the bush fig sometime, I'm also interested in the BIG one brought over from Italy... I'll find a spot for it, or I'll put it next to my other big fig, and they can duke it out. Spring would be fine, though. :-)

Gita, would your neighbor like a little start of my Sweet Bay, do you think? I could find a cute pot for it...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9248966

Jill--

Is that like a bay Leaf--just not dried? Is it grown in pots and brought in for the winter
or is it perennial? How big does it grow? Got a picture?

Asking all this--as I would not mind having one if it stays manageable.
My neighbor kills every plant that she has. She just does not bring them out--does not water, etc...
Not worth the bother...

David---which fig(s) did you want? Trying to keep tabs here...Or go bonkers...

BTW!!! I have lots and lots of Endless Summer Hydrangea cuttings rooting as well.
Interested????? Let me know. There are 3 stems in each 5" pot. One of them is sure to make it.

Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9248973

Yes, it's the plant that dried bay leaves come from. It'll grow to about the same size as a ficus, but you can trim it back... mine has been pruned pretty severely to sort of a stubby columnar form, which provides plenty of fresh leaves without taking up that much sunroom space.

Plenty of photos and info in PF: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/814/

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9249171

Sorry, Jill---
Anyway I look at it--it is too big for my garden.

NOW--IF I could dig up and get rid of the two large, old Burning Bushes (the ones that the Spider mites ate up)
that would be a good place for these. Good AM light...protected from harsh winds...

However--how would one dig up 2lg shrubs that have been there foe close to 40 years w/o a back hoe???/

I will pass...Thanks though. Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9249441

My Limelight (I think) coleus (from Ruby) has grown so amazingly well, I couldn't resist taking three cuttings tonight.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9249447

Sally---
Would you like some seeds from the "Limelight 4 O'Clocks??Very short, small clumping 4'.
Beautiful. bright lime-colored leaves with bright magenta blooms...

Maybe I should let this go until the seed Swap next spring...I do not have a lot of seeds from this one...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9249451

No thanks, I kow what I have is a Coleus and I am pretty sure the cv is Limelight, and that's fine with me.

Save them for spring Seed Swap, that is the right time.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9249455

Gita, I pretty much don't try to dig up unwanted bushes/trees, I just cut them down and plant on top of or between them. I have a bunch of "weed trees" (those big bushes that have honeysuckle-like blooms) that I've been hacking back to nearly nothing in the tree line, and when the "good" trees I planted near them start taking off I'll just paint their stubs with brush killer. The only reason I didn't cut them to the ground and kill them right away is that they do still provide some good "screening" along the back edge. If you want the stump and roots to rot out more quickly, you can get some stuff that will accelerate the process (and it's much easier & cheaper than the backhoe method).

Good morning light & protected from harsh winds would be a great location for so many plants... I wouldn't waste any time whacking back those burning bushes!

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9249474

Gita, Pat and I would like a start of each of the different figs when you conveniently have them available. and would like a Brown Turkish from Sally sometime too.

Gita - Should you desire to do so, your old Burning Bushes should be fairly easy to remove. I have found that they have shallow root systems, so exposing the roots that splay out from them allows one to more or less lift the plant out of the ground without a heavy rootball. In fact, unless they are really mature I pick a time when the soil is softened by rain and pull them like weeds.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9249488

Good tip on those bushes, David... I was envisioning something like the root system on some foundation shrubs (junipers) at our townhouse... it did take heavy equipment to get those out, but we hired it done! (shrubs & grass out, leaf mold tilled in, then we put in 2 low walls of "castle rock" ourselves and had nice little terraced beds for me to plant on that slope)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9249760

Thanks, David and Jill..

These ARE very mature--close to 40 years old. They also are NOT the dwarf varieties
that are sold now. They are the tall/big ones.

Hmmm...Got them from a Nursery that used to be at the corner of my street..LONG ago.
I used to shop there--and one day the owner said--"Would you like to have these two stumps?"
They were stumps of 2 old Burning Bushes she had pulled up. I said "Sure!".

And that is how I got these two bushes...And--if I remember--the stumps were not all that big or full of roots.
That would validate what you said, David.

I love having these bushes there. It totally screens the East end of my Patio. If you remember pictures
I posted from the Spider Mite attacks. At least 2 birds nest in these shrubs every year.
I cut them back every couple of years as they make new stem growths in all directions that are over 2' long.
It is a very robust grower. Wonder how big it would grow if I did not cut it back every other year??

Have to think on this...Gita

1--The bushes from the patio side--stripped of all leaves bu Spider Mites.
After I cleaned up all the fallen leaves and mulched the bed. Lots of stems and roots.
2--From June, 2010--a good look at where these bushes sit. They were cut back that spring
and are re-growing. So they seem shorter than normal. These serve as a nice screen. They "belong" there...

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9250056

Sounds like your burning bushes might get a reprieve! I'm just that way with some plants here... start thinking they should go, then I realize I like them as well or better than anything I'd replace them with. LOL
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9250059

(right now, I'm mostly replacing weedy patches with plants, and that's pretty much a no-brainer)
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9250708

Sallyg I have two more of those loropetalum "Suzanne' if youd' like to try another.

Jill, did you ever take cuttings from the dwarf crepe myrtle 'Chickasaw'? I think Roses and one other person was interested in one when they are ready.

Speedie, I have a Dr. Seuss brug for you and a noid pink for someone else

Greenthumb, did you ever id that tree I gave you at Holly's? Do you want a Deutsia (not dwarf) ?pic5

Anyone interested in a blueberry patch? 6+ assorted in containers...???

Chantel, would you like an ensete banana? I have two that are about 2' tall now, a good wintering over size.

Holly, I have a new elephant ear called "Elena". It is lime green. Interested? Pic 4
http://plantlust.com/plants/colocasia-esculenta-elena/

UMD Terp what conditions do you have for overwintering tropicals? If Greenthumb has id the small tree I gave him, I have others

I also have an assortment of Hen and Chicks and sedums. See pics below 1, 2, 3

Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2012
4:07 AM

Post #9250869

Oh Yes Coleup, Did you want one of my Portadora's? I can always use more hen's and chicks but I will wait to see if anyone else would like them first. Maybe some one that doesn't already have some.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #9250888

I don't have a lot of free space for anything...but has that ever stopped a true DG nut?

6 blueberries in pots? Really?? My bushes looked horrible this year. I'm considering starting a new few bushes elsewhere part of a garden remodel...I wouldn't take all six, but might, one or a couple, if there are enough to go around.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9250899

A basement with no good southern light and a shed. Otherwise windows in the house, which are filling up..haha. I am going to have shelves set up with lights for my rhodo cuttings.

We have a blueberry bush of some sort, it has never been that spectacular. Guess failed experiment and space holder. It has been moved multiple times.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9250908

Jan23 I have a couple more of the red double Knockout Roses like you got at swap. Need another?

ssgardener Just visited the nursery here where I found the sedums for you this spring. They have the following carex sedge varieties for sale: "Evergold", 'Ice Dance' and 'Palm oehme' Would you like me to buy some for you? Also, you are wanting Sweet Flag and and Donnerville has 'loads' of acorus. They are the same plant, so she would be a good source. I have a small asparagus fern for you and an ostrich fern.

donnerville I think I have a blue hosta for you.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9250971

Whoever has the 6 Blueberry pots--I would like to take one for my daughter.

She loves Blueberries! Will they grow in the pots--or have to be planted in the garden?
How old are they? Making berries?

Thank you. Let me know. please...Gita

edited to say...
Greenthumb said one needs two to get fruit. So--I would need a couple Blueberries...
IF they are not all spoken for yet...

This message was edited Aug 23, 2012 8:24 AM

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9250978

coleup - The tree you gave me at Holly's is doing fine, but I have been unable to ID it despite many efforts including direct consultation with Viburnum Valley, the go-to tree person on the Plant ID forum. As to the Deutzia, do you know the species? I know some are happy in part sun but whant to make sure we can give yours a good home.

Edited to add: We would be happy to grow blueberries, which Pat loves. As I recall, two are needed for pollenation. Thanks

This message was edited Aug 23, 2012 9:09 AM
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9250986

Thanks, coleup!

Donnerville, I think I asked for your acorus further up in this post. I'll take as many as you're interested in digging up.

Coelup, I'm in the process of geting new fencing put in. I'm so confused about what needs to be dug up and moved before the workers come in and rip up the existing chain link fence. Once the new fence is put in, I'm going to have 30 feet x 3 feet of new gardening space that is currently nothing but ivy and weeds. I don't even know where to begin with that space.

I recently got a good deal on a couple of carex plants ($1.50 each!), so I'm waiting to see how they look in the new spot before I make my final decision. Thank you so much for looking out for me! That Evergold looks gorgeous in pictures.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9250987

Coleup, no thank you on the rose. Thank you for thinking of me.

I am sooo looking forward to getting together at Sally's with everyone. It will be here before we know it.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9251019

Greenthumb - Thanks for all your work in trying to id those understory trees I inherited along with the Oregon Vine Maples! The deutzia is 'old fashioned' in that it comes from a 30 yr old bush I saved from demolition. I'm going to say Slender Deutzia gracillis. Does well for me in partial to mostly shade and should get enough sun to bloom well before big trees leaf out in my woodsy yard. My big one pictured is 7x7. In my experience they are like their relatives hydrangeas and like water when they want it or will droop. The one I have has benn growing in a container for years and wants/needs to be liberated! The flowers have a slight fragrance to them and bloom just as the japanese maples leaf out. The arching stems are nice. The rest of the year it is unremarkable. (Like forsythia but with more substantial and deeper green leaves. They can be cut back or old canes removed for renewal. I'll bring you one and then you can trial and rec to others who may want to try! OK?
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/plant-finder/plant-details/kc/v560/deutzia-gracilis.aspx

Thumbnail by coleup

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9251057

Greenthumb (and others) - I also have some sedum 'ogon' also known as golden Japanese Woodland sedum to share. This sedum has done well for me and prefers woodsy conditions rather than full sun also, likes more water than reg sedums. Want to tuck some around your new water feature rocks?
http://www.plantdelights.com/Sedum-makinoi-Ogon-Gold-Japanese-Woodland-Sedum/productinfo/8756/

Here it is fringing my 'flamingo' coleus. I think ssgardener gave me my start and I bought another pot.

Thumbnail by coleup

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9251063

Added to my Have List.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9251098

Have mercy...don't check in for a couple of days and we've got Figs gone Wild among other things.

FIrst and foremost a belated happy birthday to Pippi and to Joyanna!!!

Ummmm Gita - when you're done with the existing FIG orders...might I do some begging as well? I'm going to partake in some squatter's 'rights' between my back fence the the wooded tree line up the hill. Same as I did with a few agaves. I look at it as helping the erosion issue on the hill behind my strip of townhouses. Gita - I'm more then happy to wait until spring...please do what is easiest for you. I would like one from the very sweet fig tree and one from the 'bush' - please and thank you.

Jill - remind me please what you wanted from Ikea and how many.

coleup - was the ensete banana the one I'd asked for before? My brain goes MIA - it's very sad, I tell you.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9251130

lol Chantell, I know whereof you speak re MIA brains! You have requested a Dwarf Cavandish banana pup from ssgardener. Do you want to grow this outside in the ground? The ensete I have is not winter hardy here but is a good size and candidate to winterover as a 'house plant' this year and then set out in warm spring it should reach 6 or more feet. lmk

Thumbnail by coleup

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9251309

coleup---

Please do not mind--but the pictures you post on the Thread are no bigger than the Thumbnails
when the Post is opened.
Could you look into making them a bit bigger so we all can see your beautiful garden shots better???

A while ago--I changed my ISO setting on my camera to a "5". Have not had any problems
with them loading and the enlarged picture is plenty big to see every detail.
Even when I post 5 pictures--they now go in a blink of an eye with the new format.

Chantelle----You got it!!! I have some stuck in pots already--as spares...
Just mind you all--these are cuttings taken just this week. I think in 3 weeks, by the Swap time--they should all pass
the tug test. Maybe even have new leaves growing?

Also--I KNOW I read this somewhere---since Figs are, kind of, borderline hardy around here--it said to
keep the newly rooted Fig plants in the house or G-H the first winter. Can anyone substantiate this????

I have had so many requests for Fig starts--that yesterday I was all over my neighbor's yard taking more
cuttings and potting them in 1Qt. perennial pots. Making a list--checking it twice...:o)
I can always do this any time I need more cuttings- even though spring is supposed to be best.
Nothing wrong with the ones I have done now!
Most of the pots will have the top cutting as well as the stem I cut off below the cutting--stuck into the pot as well.
like---Two for One! Ficus is really a "garbage plant" as far as propagation goes. SOOO many plants in this class...

Today, I went to all 3 of Olga's Fig plants and picked plates full of ripe figs. Ate the ones that were oozy ripe! YUMMM..
Olga cannot do all this due to health problems--so I "garden" in some of her beds as well--and pick the ripe figs for her.
I have to say that the "Bush" figs were almost as sweet as the BIG tree's--just lacked that Honey sweetness...
Also--the "Bush" figs are round--whereas the Fig plant under the house overhang --the figs are quite lg.deep smoky purple
And just moderately sweet.
Here is the kicker----NONE of her kids or G-Kids like to eat the figs. There is ONE Nephew that does.
Olga has made amazing Fig preserves in the past---but now that she is a widow--the "oomph" has left her.
It has ONLY been 2 years!

If all goes well--and if all the figs are still ripening (should be) by the Swap time--I plan to bring each and every one of you that
has asked for any fig cuttings one each fig to taste of the ones you asked for. Nice of me--NO?

Chantelle--Do you have any of the August Lily Hosta? (see pic.) This divinely fragrant plant???
I have a small one growing, and in bloom, in a bed that is going to be demolished. Gonna dig it up and pot it up for you.
IF you want it...wink...wink...

Coleup----

LOVE...LOVE the color of that purple Coleus!!!! Hmmmm--could you start me a cutting???
I am thinking od starting SSgardener a good sized pot of "Alabama Sunset" Coleus, bc she loves it so!
I have plenty to take cuttings from. Do you want me to--SS????

OK! "Nuff for one Post----Geez! I can get sooo long-winded!!!

gITA

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9251523

Coleup, 'Chickasaw' is doing great in a big pot and will probably go into the ground this fall. I thought spring would be the best time for cuttings from it... or should I try dormant cuttings in fall? If I don't get cuttings to take in spring, I can try air-layering (I'm thinking press 'n seal and moisture crystals would work well). How did you start the one I have?

I've got a few coleus cuttings rooting now & will take more in time for the swap... I also "scored" a leggy pot of red heartleaf philodendron from the clearance table at DPF this afternoon (Joyanna just had to go see Pogo the Parrot when we were out that way), so I'll have cuttings of that as well as of a white & green pothos whose name escapes me at present (one of the newer brighter ones).

The philo is a noid but looks like one I've seen that I think was called 'red velvet'... similar to this photo from PF: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/175492/

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9251535

Or--maybe "Satin"...there is a Satin Philo...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9251540

I will do a continuation thread tonight

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9251543

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...I guess I will catch that tomorrow...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9251645

New part two for more discussion
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276818/
oops no picture oh well...
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9251672

Critter, on the crepe myrtles...

I worked for several years with a small local grower of tropicals, tender perennials, water plants and other interesting plants which we distributed for sale to area Home Depots.

Our stock plants were about the size of yours and were wintered over in a cold greenhouse. When they broke dormancy and had new growth. we would take cuttings to stick, keep under our intermitant misting system and then pot up in 6" pots for sale in mid May-June as they began to bloom. Any leftovers were up potted to 3 gal to become next years stock plants. We also took cuttings later toward end of season and kept as cuttings in heated green house run cool which were potted up to 6" and then became our 3 gal sellers when they started to bloom a bit earlier than if grown outside or those in cold green house (unless we heated it to speed things along)

They are quite easy from semi-hardwood stem cuttings even taken now. Trick is keeping cuttings from drying out, but there are many ways to keep them moist.. If I were you I would take a few now, just to get a feel for them as you'll be waiting forever for them to break dormancy in the Spring. What takes will need some winter protection as they won't be ready to plant out til they have had a chance to put on some growth (cold frame?) Mama plant spent winter in a pile of shredded oak leaves with all my others stuff.

So, nix on dormant cuttings air layering and all that other trouble!

Thumbnail by coleup

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9251796

Nope, I think the one I have available is a pothos not a philo... and it's not 'Satin'; I've had that one and this one is multi-tonal variegated, not silver-splotched toward the middle of the leaf. I'll find the name...

Thanks for the info, Coleup, I'll see what "takes!"

and now, I'm going over to the new thread too!
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9251980

The Idea of sharing things other than plants is music to my ears..Last year one of the gals that I met at the first plant swap that I attended in Burtonsville, posted that she had lots of nursery pots that she had saved and if anybody wanted or needed them, they were FREE and I guess I must have been the only taker for them. She emailed me and asked what sizes I was interest in..which I told her and she sat them out by her garage door while she was at work with my username on them. That felt like Christmas Morning to me! I hope to cut up some mini blind plant ID markers and bring them along..I could use larger pots..like you'd buy a good size azalea in. Is that 2 or 3 gal size? Sometimes the pots will have the size on the side, like PW pots 2.90 qts. I have enough of that size but could use something larger..I tried to look under the bottom for sizes..impossible to read on some of them.

I have plenty of the 4 in. nursery pots..I plan to order some 3 in. size in the winter to prepare for next Spring swap for starting cuttings in. Always good to have some extra trash bags along in case somebody has any FREEBIE Pots to give away or a cardboard box..

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9252039

If anybody has an extra thrift store mini blind or two, I'm about out (I can cut my own... I use a lot of them!). I almost bought a new one the other day... cheap, but I still cringed at the idea of cutting up a "working" one.

edited to add, I'd be happy to pay for a used mini blind if anybody has one (whether you scrounged it or bought it for a couple bucks). I think new ones started at maybe $4 at WM... still cheaper than buying "official" plant markers! I know I could use plastic spoons etc... but the mini blind markers work really well for me as ones to bury in the ground with the plant, preserving its ID if the above-ground metal marker is lost or moved. I don't always manage to do that, but I do try, especially for named daylilies or others I know I'll want to divide & share down the road.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2012 8:42 AM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9252078

Ahem
PART TWO DISCUSSION
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276818/

pleeze
; ^)

Cuz once we start there we all need to get there

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America