Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

what's wrong with my cucumbers and what do I do about it???

Boston, MA(Zone 6b)

The attached pictures are of my struggling cucumbers. There have been many years when I have had very good crops and I always do things the same way. I have had the soil tested and all the nutrients are at a good level. There is some disease on these, but I'm not sure what to do about it. I only water at the roots to try and keep the fungus down, but these plants always seem wilted by mid day, even when I water them in the morning. It has been very hot and we have not had much rain. The cucumbers that I have got have been very good, so it would be a shame to see the crop die off.

Suggestions would be appreciated,

LMHmedchem

Thumbnail by LMHmedchem Thumbnail by LMHmedchem Thumbnail by LMHmedchem
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I hope you get an answer to your question. I've had that happen before also and don't know why. Good luck.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Have you seen any dotted/striped cucumber beetles around your plants?

Thumbnail by drthor
Boston, MA(Zone 6b)

No, I haven't seen any particular insects, but I haven't looked that closely. The cucumbers are at the back of the garden so it's a bit difficult to get close up. Tomorrow I will look more carefully.

LMHmedchem

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

You appear to have cucumber bacterial wilt which is spread by the cucumber beetle. There don't have to be a lot of them to cause the damage. They carry the bacteria. Here is a link so you can compare:

http://gardening.about.com/od/problemspests/qt/Cucumber_Wilt.htm

You might have time to replant before and get some more cucumbers before the end of the season.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.