Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: what's wrong with my cucumbers and what do I do about it???

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 91
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LMHmedchem
Boston, MA
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9219388

The attached pictures are of my struggling cucumbers. There have been many years when I have had very good crops and I always do things the same way. I have had the soil tested and all the nutrients are at a good level. There is some disease on these, but I'm not sure what to do about it. I only water at the roots to try and keep the fungus down, but these plants always seem wilted by mid day, even when I water them in the morning. It has been very hot and we have not had much rain. The cucumbers that I have got have been very good, so it would be a shame to see the crop die off.

Suggestions would be appreciated,

LMHmedchem

Thumbnail by LMHmedchem   Thumbnail by LMHmedchem   Thumbnail by LMHmedchem
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9219672

I hope you get an answer to your question. I've had that happen before also and don't know why. Good luck.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9219747

Have you seen any dotted/striped cucumber beetles around your plants?

Thumbnail by drthor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LMHmedchem
Boston, MA
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9219848

No, I haven't seen any particular insects, but I haven't looked that closely. The cucumbers are at the back of the garden so it's a bit difficult to get close up. Tomorrow I will look more carefully.

LMHmedchem
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9220052

You appear to have cucumber bacterial wilt which is spread by the cucumber beetle. There don't have to be a lot of them to cause the damage. They carry the bacteria. Here is a link so you can compare:

http://gardening.about.com/od/problemspests/qt/Cucumber_Wilt.htm

You might have time to replant before and get some more cucumbers before the end of the season.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America