Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beekeeping: Yellow Jacket in wall...near honey beehive

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 4, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Thorgar
De Winton, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 26, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9219523

How do I remove this nest in the wall of my house that's near my honey beehive? Here's a picture of the beastie. They look so small...I remember being stung by a yellow jacket and it was 'HUGE' in my child eyes...but maybe everything is big when you are small. I don't see that they are bothering the hive aggressively but now I'm concerned that they will stay there all winter in my basement furnace room. They entered through an electrical duct hole that wasn't sealed tightly. When I sit by my beehive and enjoy my lunch in the sun the 'jackets' are very annoying.

Thumbnail by Thorgar
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Thorgar
De Winton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 13, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9240328

I found out it is a yellow jacket and yes it's set up housekeeping in the wall of my basement. If I plug up the hole it will go inside the house. If I spray poison then my honey bees will suffer because they are very close. Sooooo...I set up a trap...suspend a raw fish head half inch over a basin of water with soap in it ...inside a cage that our cats can't get in but the 'jackets' can. Immediately 2 'jackets' found it and told the rest of the gang. Now there are 7 drowned 'jackets'. Poor things...but my honeys are okay and my basement room isn't ...as threatened. Hope this gets all of them.
ennysmith
california
United States

August 17, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9244375

I like your post

TrumpetFlowerz

TrumpetFlowerz
Ft Myers, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 23, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9365590

Excellent idea-Thank you Thorgar
lonejack
Longview, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9370272

Hi Thor,
I have one of those 1 gal shop vacs. I fill the bottom of the shop vac with liquid household ammonia. Then I just set up the
long tube close to the entrance of the nest. As the jackets come home, they are sucked into the vac and killed
with the ammonia. After the nest is empty, I dump the dead jackets in the garden as fertilizer.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America