Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Roses: Potted a sickly Rose, now what ??

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 8, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
disneydoc
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 27, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9220492

I am a beginner Gardener, trying to get the hands dirty for the first time, so pardon my ignorance.

One of my roses was in the shade of a Magnolia tree and had a stunted growth (for a 8 yr old plant) and had not had a single bloom. Well, I transplanted the stunted rose bush into a pot on my back patio with full sun and will water it regularly(it was sprinkler fed in the front yard).

Questions -

When do I prune it (it is a rounded ball of twigs instead of some V shaped branches), it will have it's first pruning - Now or wait till it is established ? or some now and some later ?

My other adjoining roses in the same front yard bed, have had yellow leaves, black spot disease and are being treated , do I preventively treat this rose too. ? although I do not see any apparent diseases( I dont know how this got lucky, I guess there is God after all)

Please ask any other information, thanks a lot in advance for any and all advice

Thumbnail by disneydoc
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

July 27, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9220518

The best way to start is with a careful pruning using sharp, clean pruning shears, this will activate the growing hormones in your rose bush.

Try to start by clearing the middle of the bush that need to be kept free of growth thus the insect will have nowhere to hide and the air will circulate freely to avoid or diminish fungal infection.
Remove any dead or decayed growth.
Remove crossing branches.

I do seal any pruning cut with regular PVA glue.

Good luck.
disneydoc
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 27, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9220845

Thank you Cristina,

I just did exactly the way you advised, yes I do need some luck to play its part now, let us see if we can save this rose plant.

Thanks again
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

July 27, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9220898

Water regularly, maintain the plant moist but not water-logged and give the bush some time to recover.

As soon as you see new growth you may start fertilizing lightly once a week with a rose fertilizer until the end of summer, and make sure that the fertilizer do not touch the plant.

disneydoc
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 28, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9221163

Will do, I forgot to mix some of the Shock Fertilizer in the planter soil, I understand it reduces the Shock of the new environment in the planter.

Well I guess, I can sprinkle the stuff along when I hand water.

Thanks
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

July 28, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9221590

It seems that you're doing all quite well

Remember to post the first flower, I'll love to see it!
disneydoc
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 29, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9222141

Thanks, will do
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9222688

You may want to amend the soil regularly while potted in order to lower the soil pH and make it more acidic. The leaves in your picture look chlorotic. That is when the leaves turn light green but the leaf veins remain dark green; they are unable to absorb iron. You can use liquid iron-chelated compounds sold almost everywhere, garden Sulphur, iron sulfate or green sand.
disneydoc
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 29, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9222990

Thanks Luis, will add the liquid Iron.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America