Photo by Melody

Canning, Freezing and Drying: what is the best way to roast and or clean red peppers

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 3, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Canada60
Maple, ON

July 27, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9220921

hi I work at a golf club here in ontario and one of my co-workers roasted some red peppers , when he cleaned them his pepper flesh was nice and bright red and clean Im .not sure what he did , When I roast the peppers the sous chef turns on the gas stove to high and tosses the peppers on. I believe they burn because when I clean them some of the flesh is dark. .Does it make a difference whether they are slow roasted or if they are roasted faster at a higher heat? .Is an oven better than the open fire method ?
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9221600

It sounds like the sous chef is not keeping them turned and they are burned. You want the skin to char, but not the flesh. I use my oven (gas) on broil and keep turning them. (Same for Anaheims or Anchos). A gas grill works pretty well also.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9221627

I roast my peppers on a gas stove fire.
Just hold the peppers with tongues. Turn around in the fire so "just" the skin will char, then put the peppers in a glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap for 30 minutes ... open and peel the skin off.
Yummy !

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9226149

steaming them is important I put them in a brown paper bag until they peel easy.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 59 Nov 2, 2012 9:35 AM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America