what is the best way to roast and or clean red peppers

Maple, ON

hi I work at a golf club here in ontario and one of my co-workers roasted some red peppers , when he cleaned them his pepper flesh was nice and bright red and clean Im .not sure what he did , When I roast the peppers the sous chef turns on the gas stove to high and tosses the peppers on. I believe they burn because when I clean them some of the flesh is dark. .Does it make a difference whether they are slow roasted or if they are roasted faster at a higher heat? .Is an oven better than the open fire method ?

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

It sounds like the sous chef is not keeping them turned and they are burned. You want the skin to char, but not the flesh. I use my oven (gas) on broil and keep turning them. (Same for Anaheims or Anchos). A gas grill works pretty well also.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I roast my peppers on a gas stove fire.
Just hold the peppers with tongues. Turn around in the fire so "just" the skin will char, then put the peppers in a glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap for 30 minutes ... open and peel the skin off.
Yummy !

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

steaming them is important I put them in a brown paper bag until they peel easy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.