-
AuthorContent
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2012
10:49 PM

Post #9221075

I'm having a terrible time with leaf miners on my container plants. There are some in my in ground garden but the container infestation is unbelievable. I know they drop to the soil to reproduce but Ive used different potting soil in all the containers and it's getting to the point that I can't keep up with them. Last year I didn't have a problem with them until much later in the year.

I know that they drop to the soil to reproduce but they fly in too. They are on my tomato plants, cukes, and bush beans. Sometimes the leaves turn white overnight. Anyway I'm going to be gone for a week and don't know what to do to protect my plants. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

July 28, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9221332

Lisa, use spinosad. Follow the label directions for leafminers. It is OMRI approved and works.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9221585

Thank you! To be honest I dont care if its organic but I do care that it works. I love neem oil because it works especially on Spider Mites.

Do you use it on the soil as well as the plants? Are you having trouble with them also? I live wayyy out so Ill have to drive to get some but I will. Thankx
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

July 28, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9221919

I haven't sprayed the soii. I just spray the leaves, wait 10 days and spray again. They wreak havoc on my peppers and cucumbers.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9222963

Havent had any problem on my peppers. Last year they got my market plants REALLY BAD. They got in the chard, artichoke, Cardoon, all sorts of greens. I kept picking leaves off and by the time the plants were gone so were the miners. But it was so time consuming. But it stayed hot later then usual last year. By the time the plants left they had recovered and looked really good. I cant figure out why these container plants are hit so hard. Its mostly the upper leaves so Im assuming they are flying in but at this point they have to be in the soil too.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America