Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vegetable Gardening: Blister beetle help

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9221306

What kind of poison can I use to kill out these blister beetles. I have determined that they are indeed blister beetles, some are solid gray and some have a black stripe on them. I have been killing them with a natural remedy from lowes that uses perithrum I think that's spelled right. it's expensive although it works, and I can't get it concentrated, I'm not against using non natural remedies, I have some liquid seven I can mix and spray but don't want to if i'm wasting my time. I want them dead , not run off. Their on my tomatoes, zinnias, milk weeds, roses, and a few other things, so far , I'm doing my best to keep up with killing them out, but they keep coming back on my tomatoes and okra. last time I used a powder genaric brand of 7 dust, like viper, there are other varieties out there that aren't quite seven but have close to the same ingred, called your basic garden dust.

any help would be appreciated.

I haven't tried it, yet but wondered if soap would work? dawn and water mix?
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9222875

I tried to post three times earlier, not sure why DG is such a pain sometimes.
2 TBSP murphy's oil soap in one gallon water should work.
For conventional spray, Bayer makes a vegetable garden spray with cyfluthrin that should do the trick, low amount of chemical to the mix, post spray harvest interval, but read directions as time varies with variety. I have not used but know others who have with good results. Kills everything, so spray carefully but safer for humans than sevin or other chemicals.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9222977

Thanks so much, i'll try the murphy's oil soap
grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 20, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9247906

One of the hardest garden pest to control I now try and treat the soil with Spectracide "one and done" and if they get started I use permetrin 38% diluted in water permethrin was originally derived from the Pyreathium Lilly but most likely is now synthesized Sorry I did not see you post sooner The permethrin I buy is from Hy-yield
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

August 21, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9248763

Permethrin is a synthetic pyrethroid. Triazicide, the active ingredient in Spectracide Once and Done is also a synthetic pyrethroid. Insects can build up resistance to these products. The synthetic pyrethroids break down more slowly than natural ones and are sometimes microencapsulated to last longer.

Natrual prethrins (pyrethrum) are made from a variety of chrysanthemum, not a lilly. Insects haven't built up resistance to the natural product. It is a contact poison, breaks down quickly and leaves no harmful residue.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9249182

That's what the bottle said that I used. That it was made from chyrsanthemums.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 22, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9250491

calla where do you find the naturals and i learned something I had read that it was made from the lilly and never had any reason to do any further research anywho it works ..where the BBs are concerned I would use a small nuclear devise ifin I had it
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

August 23, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9251158

Grits, I buy them from two places, a local greenhouse supply warehouse (we are commercial farmers) and a farm and ranch store that stocks natural products. There is also an organic tropical fruit farm right down the road from our farm and she will order naturals for me if needed.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America