Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Newbie here - need advice

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
worlie
Bright, IN

July 28, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9221364

This is my first year growing a veggie garden and I have 4 - 4x4 raised beds and a whole bunch of pots and 5 gal. buckets on my deck. Plenty of sun and we water every day with water pumped up from the lake we live on. My attempts at growing lettuce, peas, a few different herbs, broccoli, and zucchini have not been very successful. I think mainly because some things, like the broccoli, I didn't start early enough in doors, but others like the lettuces (black-seeded Simpson and Mesclun) have been overheated and rather anemic-looking. So I tried again inside and started more seeds under grow lights in a 72-cell seed starting kit from Burpee with the self-watering mat, etc. They're all growing like crazy but now I need to get them into pots or the ground and I'm worried the heat will still be too much for them. We are in Indiana, near Cincinnati. The peas are being supported by chopsticks and are now taller than the chopsticks and I bought a pole bean/pea tower to put in a little plot on the side of the house we have not planted yet (it has had potatoes in it previously) but we have not added manure to it like the deck garden. Everything on the deck has a mix of 1/3 composted horse manure, 1/3 peat moss, and 1/3 potting soil. I think my first peas did not like the horse manure in my soil so I'm trying again with less amended soil. Anyway, I know this is long but I want to try again with another fall planting and I'm learning from my mistakes - any advice would be much appreciated. I have lots of other questions, but maybe I should post separate threads for those to not be so lengthy.

Thumbnail by worlie   Thumbnail by worlie   Thumbnail by worlie   Thumbnail by worlie   Thumbnail by worlie
Click an image for an enlarged view.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 28, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9221427

Your tomatoes looks amazing and should give you tons of fruits. i think peas are planted straight to the ground. I see okra which should be transplanted.

you are doing okay with limited experience.

Belle
worlie
Bright, IN

July 28, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9221442

Thanks for the reply, Belle. I don't have any okra, though. Which pic are you referring to?
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 28, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9221556

The ones on the tray looks like okra

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9221606

worlie - I think you are trying to grow spring/summer/fall vegetables all together in the summer.

Broccoli and lettuce prefer the cool days/nights of spring and fall.

Peas do best when grown in the spring.

Tomatoes and zucchini do best in the summer.

You are correct in thinking peas did not like the horse manure. They need very little nitrogen.

Broccoli LOVES well-aged horse manure!

Seed packets usually contain recommended planting dates - that's a good place to start planning your garden.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America