Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
worlie
Bright, IN

July 28, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9221439

This year I tried growing red pontiacs and yukon golds in grow bags. I thought you are supposed to add soil if you see potatoes peeking up through the soil - but I have since learned that you should do it much sooner. My question is - is it too late to add soil now? The vines have gotten pretty long (see pictures) and I'm not sure if I should bury them or not. Can anyone help? I have 8 bags and I'd hate to blow it with these, my family loves new potatoes.

Thumbnail by worlie   Thumbnail by worlie   Thumbnail by worlie
Click an image for an enlarged view.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9222829

I would add soil to the smaller plants I dont know about the larger ones but some of those definitely look small enough. I would leave just a little bit of the green sticking out. Hope that helps.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9224779

I agree, but I would cover the smaller ones completely. Gardener's Supply had a video about how to do it on their website earlier in the season and it worked for me. Maybe you can still find it. Good luck!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America