Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Potatoes in Grow Bags

Bright, IN

This year I tried growing red pontiacs and yukon golds in grow bags. I thought you are supposed to add soil if you see potatoes peeking up through the soil - but I have since learned that you should do it much sooner. My question is - is it too late to add soil now? The vines have gotten pretty long (see pictures) and I'm not sure if I should bury them or not. Can anyone help? I have 8 bags and I'd hate to blow it with these, my family loves new potatoes.

Thumbnail by worlie Thumbnail by worlie Thumbnail by worlie
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I would add soil to the smaller plants I dont know about the larger ones but some of those definitely look small enough. I would leave just a little bit of the green sticking out. Hope that helps.

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

I agree, but I would cover the smaller ones completely. Gardener's Supply had a video about how to do it on their website earlier in the season and it worked for me. Maybe you can still find it. Good luck!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.