Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Recipes: spaghetti & meatballs with a twist

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 17, Views: 88
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9221887

we've decided that we don't like the traditional red sauce too much anymore and really not even the white sauce. i've been experimenting with "new" flavors to jazz up this old dish.

tonight i grilled meatballs (outside grill, on a pan) to keep the heat out of the house and then boiled angel hair pasta with kale. i chopped up a big homegrown tomato and some black olives and marinated them in a bit of olive oil, balsamic, course pepper and kosher salt. it was so good and we really don't miss the sauce at all. i kept the tomatoes cold and it was refreshing with the hot pasta and meatballs.

Thumbnail by trackinsand
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9221924

Debi, that does look good! I like my spaghetti with alfredo sauce - omg, it it ever good!!!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9222131

we used to do that too but apparently our tastes have changed. the sauce seems too heavy and masks the flavor of the meat and pasta.
we're trying to eat light now...:-)
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9222167

I don't fix it anymore, either - for just that reason - it's heavy, rich and just not worth the consequences of eating it! I have never liked traditional spaghetti - YUK!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9222230

we have a sav-a-lot in town and i like their store brand of alfredo sauce. it's not so heavy and overwhelming. sometimes i'll take a spoon or two and just drizzle it on some plain pasta as a side dish. of course, then i'm stuck with an opened jar...
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9222322

You can freeze it in ice cube trays and use it in soup or as flavoring for meat gravy.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9222331

I like mine just like the picture. I must say I havent done it grilled tho, what a good idea. I just handle that heavy red sauce and Im not a big oregano eater, which in the jars, or eating it out, the sauce seems to be full of.

That ice cube idea is a good one. I sometime use a tiny bit of tomato paste in something and throw the rest of the little can away. The tubes are perfect, but I just cant pay 3.75 for a tube with the equivelent of a small can. A little cube would be just perfect.

Track - Ive been trying to find a post where I thought it was you, who mentioned they were addicted to some brand of veggie broth. If that was you, could you give me that brand again. Can you get it at Publix?

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9222400

i don't even know if i have an ice cube tray! lol but i'll look.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9222403

Debi, you can find them at garage sales and thrift stores for 50 cents.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9222407

here ya go, gardenglory: and yes, it's available at publix.

Thumbnail by trackinsand
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9222430

Debi, that sounds and looks delicious.

We stay away from the jarred red sauces that are heavy and I tend to stay away from the alfredo. I made my own marinara this year and it is very light, I didn't cook it down much, it is more like a fresh tomato sauce. I grow my own oregano and basil but use it judiciously, I don't like it when the seasonings overwhelm the tomato flavor and I used some heirlooms with terrific flavor for this sauce. I wound up with 29 pints. Often I just quickly cook some garlic and hot pepper flakes in olive oil with maybe a teaspoon of butter for flavor and toss it with cooked pasta and some chopped fresh parsley. If I have a good flavorful tomato I'll chop it up, like you did Debi, and toss that in too. Quick and yum

This thread is making me hungry. :-(

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9222440

now you're making ME hungry! one of my favorite pasta dishes is just what you said, garlic and pepper flakes with a dab of butter...in fact, i think i'll do that one tonight with the leftover angel hair. maybe i'll snip some garlic chives or regular chives to throw in also.

i should mention that the above meatballs are courtesy of publix. they come in a 12 pack in the fresh meat department. i freeze them so i always have them on hand. they are better than any i can make myself, slightly larger than a golfball and not overwhelmingly spicy, just really good. i used to cook them on the stove but now i either put them in the oven uncovered or in a pan on the grill...about 350 for an hour. less mess.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9222456

Debi!!!! STOP!!!! You are going to make me head out to Publix - shame on YOU!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9222483

Thanks for the stock info. Im guessing you like the chicken and beef as well. Good to know.

I also buy those publix meatballs. There really good and easy and not really that much more than just buying the meat. I must say I wasnt expecting them to be very good, I figured they would use some nasty chewy ground meat, but they really came thru with these.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9222520

i use the different flavors of stock for different food preparations. i like that they all come in unsalted. i would much prefer to salt my own food rather than have someone with a heavy hand do it for me.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9222539

If I am not mistaken Publix was the first supermarket to come out and confirm that they had never used any pink slime in their ground meats. That says a lot for them expecially since there were only about half a dozen major chains that did not mix it in. Yuck.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9222563

Oh, that stuff was DISGUSTING! I hope I never run across it - YUCK!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9222664

i have a feeling we already have at some point...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America