Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Home Repairs and Maintenance: tell me how you maintain your concrete patio

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 6, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9221929

Our patio is probably 50+ yrs old. 1944 house. I painted it about 7 yrs ago and again 3 yrs ago. It needs it again. I prep it well before painting w/ concrete paint. Sherwin Williams products. There are grease, popsicles, etc stains. The cracks were unsightly to me for a while then I filled w/ irish moss and I find it all 'charming'. The painting is such a time consuming mucho effort and I am aging by the day . . .

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9225607

well is there any way you could have it tiled, or have it resurfaced with fresh concrete?
I think you would need to use a power washer and blast all the paint off though first. Maybe someone local who does masonry would come out and look at it for you?

anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9225826

Maybe I should research re-surfacing w/ concrete. thank you.
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9225841

you might also investigate 'cool deck' - type surfaces used around swimming pools.

they ARE cooler on bare feet, but are much whiter and may reflect more light into glass doors/windows. Some folks may hate that, others may want it - just be aware.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9299947

I have very old pool. Built around l954 and I have to use concrete stain on deck to keep it cool for bare feet. I stain it every 3 years and I am hoping to find a sealer for it next time so maybe it will last longer as area is 26 X 60 and really a pain to stain. Stain comes in a few different colors but I have always used tan. I use muriatic acid to clean along with pressure washer. I also wear a firemans breathing apparatus to keep from passing out. It isn't easy but it does the job. Been doing it for 46 years and if I was rich instead of beautiful I would have it all surfaced in non-slip tile. LOL
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9299950

BTW Anastitia I'm 75 and you are right it will age you but maintenance is part of owning a home and it never seems to end.
Good luck, Bonnie
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9300557

Summer '12 come and gone and patio concrete not done! Summer '13 ?? Bonnie, if I were rich instead of beautiful & brilliant . . . :).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America