tell me how you maintain your concrete patio

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Our patio is probably 50+ yrs old. 1944 house. I painted it about 7 yrs ago and again 3 yrs ago. It needs it again. I prep it well before painting w/ concrete paint. Sherwin Williams products. There are grease, popsicles, etc stains. The cracks were unsightly to me for a while then I filled w/ irish moss and I find it all 'charming'. The painting is such a time consuming mucho effort and I am aging by the day . . . .

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

well is there any way you could have it tiled, or have it resurfaced with fresh concrete?
I think you would need to use a power washer and blast all the paint off though first. Maybe someone local who does masonry would come out and look at it for you?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Maybe I should research re-surfacing w/ concrete. thank you.

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

you might also investigate 'cool deck' - type surfaces used around swimming pools.

they ARE cooler on bare feet, but are much whiter and may reflect more light into glass doors/windows. Some folks may hate that, others may want it - just be aware.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I have very old pool. Built around l954 and I have to use concrete stain on deck to keep it cool for bare feet. I stain it every 3 years and I am hoping to find a sealer for it next time so maybe it will last longer as area is 26 X 60 and really a pain to stain. Stain comes in a few different colors but I have always used tan. I use muriatic acid to clean along with pressure washer. I also wear a firemans breathing apparatus to keep from passing out. It isn't easy but it does the job. Been doing it for 46 years and if I was rich instead of beautiful I would have it all surfaced in non-slip tile. LOL
Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

BTW Anastitia I'm 75 and you are right it will age you but maintenance is part of owning a home and it never seems to end.
Good luck, Bonnie

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Summer '12 come and gone and patio concrete not done! Summer '13 ?? Bonnie, if I were rich instead of beautiful & brilliant . . . . . :).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images