Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: what am I?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 22, Views: 336
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2001
6:25 PM

Post #16899

I bought this from the grower that keeps me on my toes. She does not mark any of her plant names. When I asked her what this one was she told me she didn't know. She said the lady who gave her this plant only know it as a "Voodoo Plant". Anybody recognize it?

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2001
6:30 PM

Post #153380

Lisa, the leaves remind me of Swedish Ivy, which is in the Plectranthus genus (I think)...check out this link: http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantnop/plectranthus.htm

Is it even close? Also, do the leaves have a distinct aroma when they're rubbed or crushed?
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2001
6:34 PM

Post #153381

Vols, the leaves have no aroma. It almost looks like a type of mint, but no smell. The leaves also feel like those of a plastic plant. The hyperlink looks somewhat like my plant, but I just can't tell...going back for another look.
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2001
6:40 PM

Post #153383

k...went back in for another look. Not the same :( I thought that all members of the Lamiaceae family all had square stems, did a little reading and confirmed my thoughts. This plant has round stems. Drats!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2001
6:51 PM

Post #153389

Yeah, I meant to ask you about the stems. Okay, I give up. Guess we'll have to just hang out and wait for PoppySue or Baa or somebody to come in here and rattle off a name ;0)
Baa

October 26, 2001
7:32 PM

Post #153409

Baa doesn't know what it is if it hasn't got a square stem.

Any further description of the flower Lisa?
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2001
2:48 AM

Post #153689

kinda looks like a peperomia to me. but thats a houseplant so i dont think thats what it is.
jen

Joy

Joy
Kalama, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2001
3:01 AM

Post #153708

It looks like Ajuga to me.
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2001
3:33 AM

Post #153739

pooh gals! I know what both of those are and neither one is it :(
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2001
12:38 PM

Post #153855

lisa, what about growing conditions?
what a challenge, lol
jen
Baa

October 27, 2001
6:04 PM

Post #154029

Lisa is there a scent to the flowers of leaves?
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2001
6:58 PM

Post #154041

Baa, the flowers do not a smell at all.
MSJen, the plants as of now are in a container. They are not picky about their conditions at all. I keep them at normal waterings, tolerates both sun and some shade. HOWEVER! I think we might be getting somewhere...the link that Vols gave me kept haunting me..lol..It really looks like the plant. I went outside and gave a good hard look, the new growth of *some* of the stems seemed to be a little more square-ish than the older, more woody growth. The older growth and growth on the outside looks very round to me. I took one of the square-ish looking stems and cut it and asked DH to take a good look at it, he said it looked "square-ish, sort of".

This message was edited Saturday, Oct 27th 3:00 PM
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2001
7:03 PM

Post #154043

the only thing that is throwing me is the discription says:Plectranthus are noted for their aromatic leaves when crushed or even brushed against, and the variety of aromas is as diverse as the genus itself.

The leaves have no smell to them at all
Baa

October 27, 2001
9:16 PM

Post #154080

Lisa

If it does have sqaure stems which is the bit throwing me LOL then I think it may be a Teucrium.
Baa

October 27, 2001
9:17 PM

Post #154081

Any scent to the leaves when bruised?
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2001
9:42 PM

Post #154090

no baa, none at all

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2001
10:33 PM

Post #154124

Lisa, this is really bugging me. I hope I'm not leading you on a wild goose chase with the Plectranthus, but I'm still leaning that way. It's a decent-sized genus, and I imagine that the leaves vary in odor and intensity. For instance, does Swedish Ivy have any notable scent? I don't recall ever thinking it did.

Here are a couple links worth looking at. This first one is in French: http://nature.jardin.free.fr/vivace/ft_plectranthus_madag.html And here is the translated page, although I'm not sure you can open it (cookies and all :) http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://nature.jardin.free.fr/vivace/ft_plectranthus_madag.html&prev=/search?q=plectranthus&start=40&hl=en&safe=active&sa=N

And here is a link with an extremely detailed (and technical) description of the flowers, stems and foliage: http://www.hear.org/pier/plscu.htm

If you don't want to wade through the description (I barely could), be sure to check out the thumbnail photo of the flower and compare it to yours, I think that will help you decide once and for all if we're on the right course or totally off base.

justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2001
1:42 AM

Post #154266

Vols, I think I will mail you a piece of this thing!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2001
8:24 PM

Post #156295

"I think I will mail you a piece of this thing." Sheesh, sounds like some kind of crazy Cajun mob warning or something, LOL!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2001
9:29 PM

Post #156323

hehehe, I hadn't thought of it that way, GW - but you might be right! (Wonder if Lisa still has my address - think I oughta move real quick?)
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2001
9:54 AM

Post #156619

Liza ... the leaves and flower reminds me somewhat of a single petaled african violets. don't u think so???? just can't recall the variety. almost like one of those gesneriad[sp?] specie ... ma vie rose
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2001
11:35 AM

Post #156641

My Swedish ivy is blooming right now, and it looks exactly like the photo you posted, Lisa. I forgot to check for scent, but will later today. I've never noticed it in all these 35 years I've had it, and have made cuttings and baskets of it by the dozens.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2001
6:49 AM

Post #157572

Lisa... another site for plectrantus http://www.fernlea.com/accent/variety/plect.htm and other ivy plants. hope that help some ... ma vie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America