Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Photo Editing Fun - Page 53

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Time for a new thread!
We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1266369/

I decided to start this one out with something totally different than I usually photograph or post. This is my nephew's son playing in a golf tournament. One of the hardest things to do in photographing golf is catching the action of the swing and keeping the ball in the shot. Really hard to do on the tee shot, but I found it's a bit easier on the wedge shots out of the sand traps. The ball is moving considerably slower, so I can "catch" it. As you can see from the shadow on his shirt, the sun is behind him and his face is in shadow. So I had to do some heroic saving using the adjustment brush in ACR. Slight Orton on grass areas and framing

Now I'm just getting desperate. I don't really have any new photos to work on, so digging back into the archives. This is one of my camping trips - iPhone photo of my meager dinner. Noodles and chicken with hard boiled egg and Roma Tomato added. Plum for dessert and coffee. This one is Ortonized and has Fievel's Gothic Glow action added.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2012 11:49 AM

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Patti, thanks for starting the new thread ... by the way, has anyone ever tried that "skip to new" rather than scrolling? It's right up there with "Unwatch Thread - Mark as unread - Print - Post Reply - Skip to New" ... it goes right to the end of the last post you've read ... certainly saves time scrolling, that's for sure ... I've never tried the "end" key ... perhaps I will next time ...

Nice golf shot, Patti ... and my, oh, my, truly meager rations on your camping trip! Deserves the Gothic Glow Action, for sure!

Here's a few from me ...

the garden harvest begins in earnest ... August first will bring the deluge
a rabbit on the sidewalk ... what do you think of that?
band concert in the park ... Fil Lorenz, and cohorts ... lots of good old jazz and swing, and the vocalist was channeling Frank Sinatra ... cool!

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I have never tried the Skip to New button - didn't even know it was there. I'll have to give that a try.

Yummmmmy harvest.Everything looks so scrumptious and beautifully healthy. I wonder if that bunny was a pet? That white stripe on the face is usually due to a gene (Vienna or Sport gene) that shows up in show/pet rabbits. LOL - vocalist channeling Frank S.

Memphis, TN

I never knew it was there, either. Now that's a wonderful thing! Thanks, Jubilada.
Hey, I like your presentation on the veggies. Those flowers really add a special touch. I especially like the musical triptych! With the keyboards and the drums flanking the brass, I can almost hear them. That's a good composition!

Patti, thanks for indulging my crotchetiness and starting a new thread. With the new toys I've just learned about (END and SKIP TO NEW), I don't care how long the threads get now! Yippee!

I like that golf shot. Not only did you capture the action of the swing and the mid-air ball...the look on his face is priceless!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Bunny on sidewalk is actually a composite ... the bunny was lifted from a shot of it sitting in its cute little cage on its owners front lawn (they put the bunnies outside on pleasant days in the summer) ...

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Here are a few more shots from that concert in the park ... with various manipulations ...

I always get a kick out of how the little kids and the band members interact (or not) ...
just loved the "machinery" on this bass
trumped player against the sky
here's ol' Fil himself
the vocalist was also the trombonist (I bet he channels Bobby Darin, too) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

And before the concert, the boys in the band, shootin' the breeze under the trees ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I enjoyed seeing the concert photos. That ornate bass is in good company with the shiny trombone and that beautiful sax? in image 4. Fil and the "medium" (#5) look like youngsters. Very cool angle on #5. Love that sunburst!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, Patti, those guys are all in their 30s seems to me ... bunch of youngsters, indeed. I remember a time when I thought 36 was really, really old. LOL ...

This morning's Rubrum Lilies, pixelbender oiled and framed ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

As it turns out, there is hope for the Great White after all ... thought I had an "Indigo Rose," but I was mistaken ... no matter how careful I try to be, every couple of years or so I get seeds mixed up some how! The other four "indigo roses" given to fellow community gardeners are "indigo roses," and I'll get to sample some.

In any event, here's today's "catch" which includes a couple of Great Whites ... I include the "before" and the "after" because I did a bit of manipulation ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, I remember those "don't trust anyone over 30" days ...sigh. I even had the mug. ^_^

I love that image of the lilies! The light is so beautiful and the PB Oil is just the right touch. Wow.

So glad the Great Whites made it! That is so cool to be able to sample so many different varieties of tomatoes. Do you have a favorite? And what is that green pepper? over on the right?

Memphis, TN

Wonderful pics, Jubilada. Ditto what Patti said about the Lilies! That is just so beautiful! My favorite from above that is the trumpet player. The sky made such a wonderful background and you caught a wonderful profile!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

LOL, Patti, my favorite tomato is every one I grow! Great White, Orange Oxheart, Big Beef, Zapotec, Juliette, Ropreco, Striped German, Persimmon, etc., etc., ad nauseum ... I try to only have eight or nine plants a year (that's all I can handle), so that limits the variety somewhat ... those peppers are a new type I'm trying this year ... New Mexico Joe Parker! Tried one, it had a "little" heat, which dissipated during cooking! Hope the rest of them are a bit more "picante"! Maybe I have to wait until they're red ...

Memphis, TN

Last early morning trip to Dixon Gardens....they will resume opening at 10AM instead of 8AM August 1 and it's just TOO hot by then.

1 & 2. The sprinklers were busy by the time they opened and the morning sun did wonderful things to the spray. Topaz Adjust
3. One of three consecutive "rooms...surrounded by four species of Boxwood...exhibit[ing] sacred geometry, a design with origins in ancient Persia."
4. The Whispering Bench, "acoustically designed to carry a whisper from one end to the other....a couple could whisper endearments to each other with their chaperone in between and still be heard."
5. Restored cast iron fountain (Fotosketcher)

This message was edited Jul 30, 2012 10:11 PM

This message was edited Jul 30, 2012 10:19 PM

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

The Dixon mansion (Fotosketcher and Adjust)
Dixon Entrance (Adjust, PSE9, etc.)

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Love the sprinkler shot, Miss Mary! Cute story about the "whispering" bench ... and that curving brick fence shot is enchanting!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Wheeeee. Love those sprinkler shots! Ditto what Jubilada said about the whispering bench! Excellent Fotosketcher work on the fountain! And I do like this perspective on the curving brick wall best of all so far.

Memphis, TN

1. Shopping center fronts (Topaz Adjust & PSE9)
2. I don't usually like having pictures taken of me but I couldn't resist this reflective self-portrait.
3. Way over-done shot at the Farmer's Market. This one was so skewed and messed up...I can't begin to tell you what all I did to it!

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

Oops, almost forgot the little prince....this fellow (?) was less than 2 inches long. He allowed me to get quite close with the camera, too.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Miss Mary,

Love the Farmer's Market image! It tells the story with the clerk and customer in the background, but the emphasis is placed on the produce. Really nicely composed!

I couldn't tell if the storefront image was shot at the wide angle end or not, but if so, the perspective looks great - no leaning. Gorgeous clouds! This image would have been a great candidate for shooting in HDR with the bright sky and the darker subjects. Your new super cam has a built in HDR mode. When you shoot into a really bright sky with shaded subjects, put it on HDR3 and hold down the button. It will click off 3 images, merge them into an HDR image and then it will save two composites of the three images - one with HDR processing and one without HDR processing. It would be interesting to see how well it performs. Take a few normal (not in HDR mode) shots too just for comparison.

Cool self portrait! And, that prince is a cutie.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

New beta version of FotoSketcher out. It has a new color sketch. I loaded it and did a couple of images with default settings. It is a nice new filter.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Memphis, TN

That's neat, Patti. I like the way it works on all those lines!

I did a little shooting today and played around with some of my shots.

1. The Fresh Market -- Topaz Adjust. I may have done a little straightening with PSE9, too.
2 & 3. Church of the Holy Communion -- both shots are straightened. The second one has had signs removed and (I think) Topaz Adjust.
4. Church of the Holy Communion -- much straightening and Topaz Adjust applied.
5. #4 with Fotosketcher Pencil Sketch 5 added

I'm having a hard time deciding how much straightening and perspective work to apply. The OCD side of me wants to find perfect 45 angles everywhere but my camera says, "No can do dat..." I've been seeing some images lately that were left stretched out and wop-looking that I thought were cool. Others, I haven't liked so much. I know it's a matter of taste but I'd like to hear your thoughts on using perspective correction tools and see examples of how you deal with it.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Miss Mary,

I'd like to wander around in that Market - cool stuff. Interesting how the table is reflecting in the floor!

I think your corrections are just fine. I don't see anything in the first one that I would change. Same for the second one when I just looked at it before reading your words. After reading, I looked again and noticed that the columns are not perfectly straight, but I think they are straight enough so that the casual observer will not think, "Hey, those columns are not straight." You have to be looking for it. But, this is so subjective! I think it all boils down to what you like unless you are in a class and your instructor is picky about perspective and distortion.

Jubilada can probably offer better ideas than I can on this. I don't photograph buildings much, unless there's a bird on the window. ^_^ I did find a few images that I could work up to illustrate what I do.

First thing I do is try to get as much correct in the camera as possible. My instructor always said to get at least one line straight and try to make it the most noticeable one.

1. That's what I did in this bar shot. As you can see, the left side is hinkey - door isn't straight. I aligned the column on the right when I took the photo since it was closest to me and, IMO, most noticeable. I didn't do any corrections.

2. Sometimes you just can't get it right in the camera. In this case, I was shooting this church from down the stairs and a downsloping sidewalk. I was aiming my wide angle kit lens way up which caused the perspective distortion, making it look like the building is leaning backward. Since the lens is wide angle and cheapo, the barrel distortion is really bad as you can see on the curve of the steps. I was shooting handheld and in a hurry, so the whole thing was leaning a bit. And forget about the chromatic aberration in that lens - horrible. I didn't even bother to correct that.

3. This one is hopeless. The Abbey is not squared up and the pews are not evenly placed on each side. You could spend all day trying to line this puppy up in camera and never get it even close. I just did the best I could with the camera and then ditto for the post processing. I didn't try to get the windows perfectly straight - just straighter. This was an incredible place to shoot though. There were several alcoves with statues and one with a Bible with light streaming in - I could have spent all day in this one church and leave still wanting more.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2012 6:04 AM

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
Memphis, TN

Interesting stuff, Patti. I especially like the third one. As I looked at the finished product, I found absolutely nothing that offended my OCD eyes! The lines, though not perfectly straight, look so natural! And the bar scene is a beaut -- all that light, wood and shiny stuff! The second image....it occurs to me that that's exactly how we see things (minus the chromatic and barrel distortions!). It's just that we have a wide periphery instead of straight photo edges right next to the building. Three really good examples of how to handle the problem.

Here's one of the church pictures straight from the camera. You can see how much fiddling I did with it. I wasn't totally satisfied but, then again, I think I need to loosen up a bit anyway.

I'm finding it easier to correct all those wop angles in Paint Shop Pro (Photo X2) than in PSE, by the way.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

MIss Mary,

Excellent work! I don't think I could have done better with all the power of Photoshop CS6. It does have some remarkable tools, especially in the Adobe Camera Raw module. You can tweak horizontal and vertical, correct barrel and pincushion and more. And you can also correct chromatic aberration.

Your example brings up an important point I forgot to mention. I have also been coached (but usually forget) to anticipate when some of these corrections will be necessary and zoom out a bit (or step back), allowing room to crop around the edges after the correction.

Memphis, TN

Ah, that's an excellent note! I will have to remember that!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Wonderful bunches of photos, you guys!

Miss Mary, I just love that Farmer's Market shot ... really nice!

And you and Patti both do marvelous work at "fixing" photographs, don't think my two cents would help out ... basically I just flail around until I think things are more to my liking ... no real "routine" or "method" involved.

By the way, Patti, thanks for the lead on the new Fotosketcher and the new beta version ... I'm playing with them as time permits ...

Went to SF yesterday, my DH and I took a friend's 11-year-old daughter on a "field trip" to the Exploratorium ... I gave her a little NIkon point-and-shoot for Christmas, so she and I kind of did a mini "photo-shoot" of the nearby Palace of Fine Arts (one of my favorite buildings/parks in all of SF). It's amazing and somewhat intimidating (and yes, a little depressing) just how wonderfully inventive and intuitive a young, fresh, unjaded, mind/eye can be ... I think she took some marvelous shots and I've asked her to share them with me. If she does, I'll pass some along. Of course, you know, kids ... those fresh minds are rather willy-nilly, too ...

In the meantime, I plod on, painfully aware of how deficient I am technically, and aware too, that maybe it's too late to do anything about it! Nevertheless, here's one shot of the Palace of Fine Arts which I processed in RAW, but did not straighten or correct perspective ... if might give you some idea of what a gorgeous place it is ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Memphis, TN

Jubilada, my first reaction was, "Wow! That's beautiful..." and then I noticed the size of the people on the right-hand side of the structure.

WOWEE! That's a big, gorgeous place!!! And that's a really good shot, too.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Here are some shots from yesterday that I've used the beta FotoSketcher Pencil Sketch 5 on ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jubilada,

What a treat to see those images!!! I had the same experience as Miss Mary. I can't imagine something that huge. What a fantastic place for photography. All of your photos are exceptional. I love the distant view which puts it all in perspective and the two closer views are beautiful. The swan is so graceful. Gorgeous photo.

I hope your friend's daughter shares her photos. Kids are pretty amazing when it comes to creativity.

Memphis, TN

My editing on these involved power line shadow and garden hose removal, selective sharpening and exposure adjustments, etc.

1. Bumblebee asleep in a Hibiscus blossom
2. Fireball Hibiscus

This message was edited Aug 5, 2012 11:59 AM

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Miss Mary,

Good job on the shadow and garden hose removal. I'm guessing it was in the Fireball image, but I can't tell where that happened!

You sure do catch a lot of those sleeping bees. Do you sing bumblebee lullabies? Or, maybe hummmmm them?

Love that fireball! I like the way you photographed it with one looming large in the corner. Very cool.

Just one from me. Playing with some images I got with my cell phone. ^_^ This butterfly was flitting around my real camera when I was trying to get some video. It really liked my telephoto lens. I finally had to at least try to get some shots with my cell phone. I couldn't get very close and the butterfly was blending in with the camo cover on the lens, so I played around to try to emphasize the butterfly. I selected a rough area around the bfly and then inversed the selection and feathered it quite a bit so the transition would be smooth. Then I did a radial zoom blur. Then I played with the Filter > Render > Lighting. I don't use this much and don't have a clue how to do it, but I did put some light on the bfly and darken the edges after fiddling with it a bit.

Finished it off with a simple frame that I also ran through the radial zoom blur.

Acccckkkkk. After all that fiddling, I still like the original better.

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

As usual, Miss Mary, your Hibiscus shots are wonderful, especially that one with the bee!

Patti, I too prefer the original!

I'm struggling with this new class and making my first assignment submissions! This is not a piece of cake! More later ...

Memphis, TN

Me three....I like the original shot, Patti.

I went to the Memphis Pink Palace Museum yesterday and took lots of photos of things with lines and angles. As I'm trying new things and working with a new camera, I invite and look forward to your criticism.

1. A little historical intro. The building is made of Georgia Pink Marble, by the way.
2. I believe this is the one I used my camera's HDR function on.
3. An Elvis exhibit. They should have put the "no photography allowed" signs on this side of it as well.
4. Memphis being the Cotton Capital of the world, we've had a Cotton Carnival here for decades and the Cotton Kings and Queens had elaborate costumes back in the day.
5. Looking out one of the windows onto the front lawn. I caught the bird flying by quite by accident. I had to do a good bit of perspective adjusting on this one and I may have used HDR.

Memphis, TN

An added note -- I used Topaz Adjust on many of the pictures, as well as PSE exposure (and other) tweaks.

1. Looking out another window.
2. I used PicMonkey softening on this one.
3, 4 & 5. I used three different slider settings of Topaz adjust on this one shot. I tried to get dead-center when taking the picture so that the angling would be (hopefully!) even on the left and right sides of the fixture. Shooting upward and across a large room....

I'd be particularly interested in your thoughts on those last three. Needless to say, I had a large amount of fringe to remove from around the windows.

Memphis, TN

1. Lots and lots and lots of skewing and straightening on this one...

Well, I hit "send" instead of "choose file" so there's only one for this post!

This message was edited Aug 7, 2012 10:05 AM

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Miss Mary,

Great job on the first five images. (Oops, I started my comments while you were still loading more images.) I never felt that something was off kilter or should have been shot at a different angle while looking at your photos. They all look to be exposed just right too!

The EXIF information embedded in your images doesn't indicate that you used HDR, but my EXIF reader might not know how to decode that information, so I can't tell. The window example sure looks like it is possibly HDR since the inside of the window frame is exposed nicely and the outside is too. That certainly would have been a good candidate. And you got a BIF!!! How cool is that!

Your first shot is a perfect example of what my photography teacher tried to drill into us when we were doing vacation type photography. She always says to include street signs and informational signs to get that "sense of place," which helps to tell the story later. And, as you did in the second shot, she says to get the shot without the distraction of the signs too.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2012 11:22 AM

Memphis, TN

1. This skylight fascinated me but, for all my positioning and aiming, I still didn't hit it dead-center. Any siggestions?
2. A replica of a 1920s/1930s Memphis drugstore. I only fiddled with the angles a little on this one. The top corners are a bit skewed but I'm not so sure it's something to try and fix. Any thoughts?
3. Clyde W. Parke Miniature Circus. Amazing thing. If you want to read a little about it, here's a good article: http://www.memphisdowntowner.com/ClydeParke.html
4. Miniature Circus

I actually used the in-camera HDR on a number of shots but most of them were better without it. There just weren't many backlit dark things, despite the bright sun pouring in through the windows behind them. I need to go back through some threads and find some of your HDR examples. If you have any you'd like to post, it would be helpful.

Thanks a lot for what I know will be some helpful comments! ^_^

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

Hmmmm...Patti, here are the shots I took on the mansion. One of them was taken using the HDR camera feature. I remember masking and blending certain areas of it with the original. Does your EXIF pick out one of them?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Quote from HelloMissMary :

1. Looking out another window.
2. I used PicMonkey softening on this one.
3, 4 & 5. I used three different slider settings of Topaz adjust on this one shot. I tried to get dead-center when taking the picture so that the angling would be (hopefully!) even on the left and right sides of the fixture. Shooting upward and across a large room....

Miss Mary, I love that PIcMonkey softened look - very dreamy. This image would have been a good candidate for HDR. More on HDR later.

For 3 through 5, I like them all. I think you did a great job of framing this one up. The angle is very pleasing. This one would also have been a candidate for HDR if there was something of interest out the windows - nice cloudy sky, for example. Even though I like all of them, my preference is the last one with all of that wonderful texture. It is as if I can "feel" the walls with my eyes. Eeeeek. That sounds painful, but hopefully you know what I mean and undoubtedly you could have said it MUCH better. ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.