P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9222313

Time for a new thread!
We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1266369/

I decided to start this one out with something totally different than I usually photograph or post. This is my nephew's son playing in a golf tournament. One of the hardest things to do in photographing golf is catching the action of the swing and keeping the ball in the shot. Really hard to do on the tee shot, but I found it's a bit easier on the wedge shots out of the sand traps. The ball is moving considerably slower, so I can "catch" it. As you can see from the shadow on his shirt, the sun is behind him and his face is in shadow. So I had to do some heroic saving using the adjustment brush in ACR. Slight Orton on grass areas and framing

Now I'm just getting desperate. I don't really have any new photos to work on, so digging back into the archives. This is one of my camping trips - iPhone photo of my meager dinner. Noodles and chicken with hard boiled egg and Roma Tomato added. Plum for dessert and coffee. This one is Ortonized and has Fievel's Gothic Glow action added.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2012 11:49 AM

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9223146

Patti, thanks for starting the new thread ... by the way, has anyone ever tried that "skip to new" rather than scrolling? It's right up there with "Unwatch Thread - Mark as unread - Print - Post Reply - Skip to New" ... it goes right to the end of the last post you've read ... certainly saves time scrolling, that's for sure ... I've never tried the "end" key ... perhaps I will next time ...

Nice golf shot, Patti ... and my, oh, my, truly meager rations on your camping trip! Deserves the Gothic Glow Action, for sure!

Here's a few from me ...

• the garden harvest begins in earnest ... August first will bring the deluge
• a rabbit on the sidewalk ... what do you think of that?
• band concert in the park ... Fil Lorenz, and cohorts ... lots of good old jazz and swing, and the vocalist was channeling Frank Sinatra ... cool!

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
2:05 AM

Post #9223247

I have never tried the Skip to New button - didn't even know it was there. I'll have to give that a try.

Yummmmmy harvest.Everything looks so scrumptious and beautifully healthy. I wonder if that bunny was a pet? That white stripe on the face is usually due to a gene (Vienna or Sport gene) that shows up in show/pet rabbits. LOL - vocalist channeling Frank S.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

July 30, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9223420

I never knew it was there, either. Now that's a wonderful thing! Thanks, Jubilada.
Hey, I like your presentation on the veggies. Those flowers really add a special touch. I especially like the musical triptych! With the keyboards and the drums flanking the brass, I can almost hear them. That's a good composition!

Patti, thanks for indulging my crotchetiness and starting a new thread. With the new toys I've just learned about (END and SKIP TO NEW), I don't care how long the threads get now! Yippee!

I like that golf shot. Not only did you capture the action of the swing and the mid-air ball...the look on his face is priceless!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9223477

Bunny on sidewalk is actually a composite ... the bunny was lifted from a shot of it sitting in its cute little cage on its owners front lawn (they put the bunnies outside on pleasant days in the summer) ...
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9223791

Here are a few more shots from that concert in the park ... with various manipulations ...

• I always get a kick out of how the little kids and the band members interact (or not) ...
• just loved the "machinery" on this bass
• trumped player against the sky
• here's ol' Fil himself
• the vocalist was also the trombonist (I bet he channels Bobby Darin, too) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9223792

And before the concert, the boys in the band, shootin' the breeze under the trees ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Click the image for an enlarged view.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9223899

I enjoyed seeing the concert photos. That ornate bass is in good company with the shiny trombone and that beautiful sax? in image 4. Fil and the "medium" (#5) look like youngsters. Very cool angle on #5. Love that sunburst!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9224047

Yes, Patti, those guys are all in their 30s seems to me ... bunch of youngsters, indeed. I remember a time when I thought 36 was really, really old. LOL ...

This morning's Rubrum Lilies, pixelbender oiled and framed ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9224116

As it turns out, there is hope for the Great White after all ... thought I had an "Indigo Rose," but I was mistaken ... no matter how careful I try to be, every couple of years or so I get seeds mixed up some how! The other four "indigo roses" given to fellow community gardeners are "indigo roses," and I'll get to sample some.

In any event, here's today's "catch" which includes a couple of Great Whites ... I include the "before" and the "after" because I did a bit of manipulation ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9224273

Yes, I remember those "don't trust anyone over 30" days ...sigh. I even had the mug. :-)

I love that image of the lilies! The light is so beautiful and the PB Oil is just the right touch. Wow.

So glad the Great Whites made it! That is so cool to be able to sample so many different varieties of tomatoes. Do you have a favorite? And what is that green pepper? over on the right?

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

July 30, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9224305

Wonderful pics, Jubilada. Ditto what Patti said about the Lilies! That is just so beautiful! My favorite from above that is the trumpet player. The sky made such a wonderful background and you caught a wonderful profile!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9224323

LOL, Patti, my favorite tomato is every one I grow! Great White, Orange Oxheart, Big Beef, Zapotec, Juliette, Ropreco, Striped German, Persimmon, etc., etc., ad nauseum ... I try to only have eight or nine plants a year (that's all I can handle), so that limits the variety somewhat ... those peppers are a new type I'm trying this year ... New Mexico Joe Parker! Tried one, it had a "little" heat, which dissipated during cooking! Hope the rest of them are a bit more "picante"! Maybe I have to wait until they're red ...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

July 30, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9224393

Last early morning trip to Dixon Gardens...they will resume opening at 10AM instead of 8AM August 1 and it's just TOO hot by then.

1 & 2. The sprinklers were busy by the time they opened and the morning sun did wonderful things to the spray. Topaz Adjust
3. One of three consecutive "rooms...surrounded by four species of Boxwood...exhibit[ing] sacred geometry, a design with origins in ancient Persia."
4. The Whispering Bench, "acoustically designed to carry a whisper from one end to the other...a couple could whisper endearments to each other with their chaperone in between and still be heard."
5. Restored cast iron fountain (Fotosketcher)

This message was edited Jul 30, 2012 10:11 PM

This message was edited Jul 30, 2012 10:19 PM

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

July 30, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9224403

The Dixon mansion (Fotosketcher and Adjust)
Dixon Entrance (Adjust, PSE9, etc.)

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9224686

Love the sprinkler shot, Miss Mary! Cute story about the "whispering" bench ... and that curving brick fence shot is enchanting!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9224694

Wheeeee. Love those sprinkler shots! Ditto what Jubilada said about the whispering bench! Excellent Fotosketcher work on the fountain! And I do like this perspective on the curving brick wall best of all so far.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 1, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9226650

1. Shopping center fronts (Topaz Adjust & PSE9)
2. I don't usually like having pictures taken of me but I couldn't resist this reflective self-portrait.
3. Way over-done shot at the Farmer's Market. This one was so skewed and messed up...I can't begin to tell you what all I did to it!

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 1, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #9226685

Oops, almost forgot the little prince...this fellow (?) was less than 2 inches long. He allowed me to get quite close with the camera, too.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9226869

Miss Mary,

Love the Farmer's Market image! It tells the story with the clerk and customer in the background, but the emphasis is placed on the produce. Really nicely composed!

I couldn't tell if the storefront image was shot at the wide angle end or not, but if so, the perspective looks great - no leaning. Gorgeous clouds! This image would have been a great candidate for shooting in HDR with the bright sky and the darker subjects. Your new super cam has a built in HDR mode. When you shoot into a really bright sky with shaded subjects, put it on HDR3 and hold down the button. It will click off 3 images, merge them into an HDR image and then it will save two composites of the three images - one with HDR processing and one without HDR processing. It would be interesting to see how well it performs. Take a few normal (not in HDR mode) shots too just for comparison.

Cool self portrait! And, that prince is a cutie.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9227649

New beta version of FotoSketcher out. It has a new color sketch. I loaded it and did a couple of images with default settings. It is a nice new filter.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 3, 2012
11:14 PM

Post #9228973

That's neat, Patti. I like the way it works on all those lines!

I did a little shooting today and played around with some of my shots.

1. The Fresh Market -- Topaz Adjust. I may have done a little straightening with PSE9, too.
2 & 3. Church of the Holy Communion -- both shots are straightened. The second one has had signs removed and (I think) Topaz Adjust.
4. Church of the Holy Communion -- much straightening and Topaz Adjust applied.
5. #4 with Fotosketcher Pencil Sketch 5 added

I'm having a hard time deciding how much straightening and perspective work to apply. The OCD side of me wants to find perfect 45° angles everywhere but my camera says, "No can do dat..." I've been seeing some images lately that were left stretched out and wop-looking that I thought were cool. Others, I haven't liked so much. I know it's a matter of taste but I'd like to hear your thoughts on using perspective correction tools and see examples of how you deal with it.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
4:02 AM

Post #9229019

Miss Mary,

I'd like to wander around in that Market - cool stuff. Interesting how the table is reflecting in the floor!

I think your corrections are just fine. I don't see anything in the first one that I would change. Same for the second one when I just looked at it before reading your words. After reading, I looked again and noticed that the columns are not perfectly straight, but I think they are straight enough so that the casual observer will not think, "Hey, those columns are not straight." You have to be looking for it. But, this is so subjective! I think it all boils down to what you like unless you are in a class and your instructor is picky about perspective and distortion.

Jubilada can probably offer better ideas than I can on this. I don't photograph buildings much, unless there's a bird on the window. :-) I did find a few images that I could work up to illustrate what I do.

First thing I do is try to get as much correct in the camera as possible. My instructor always said to get at least one line straight and try to make it the most noticeable one.

1. That's what I did in this bar shot. As you can see, the left side is hinkey - door isn't straight. I aligned the column on the right when I took the photo since it was closest to me and, IMO, most noticeable. I didn't do any corrections.

2. Sometimes you just can't get it right in the camera. In this case, I was shooting this church from down the stairs and a downsloping sidewalk. I was aiming my wide angle kit lens way up which caused the perspective distortion, making it look like the building is leaning backward. Since the lens is wide angle and cheapo, the barrel distortion is really bad as you can see on the curve of the steps. I was shooting handheld and in a hurry, so the whole thing was leaning a bit. And forget about the chromatic aberration in that lens - horrible. I didn't even bother to correct that.

3. This one is hopeless. The Abbey is not squared up and the pews are not evenly placed on each side. You could spend all day trying to line this puppy up in camera and never get it even close. I just did the best I could with the camera and then ditto for the post processing. I didn't try to get the windows perfectly straight - just straighter. This was an incredible place to shoot though. There were several alcoves with statues and one with a Bible with light streaming in - I could have spent all day in this one church and leave still wanting more.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2012 6:04 AM

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 4, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9229291

Interesting stuff, Patti. I especially like the third one. As I looked at the finished product, I found absolutely nothing that offended my OCD eyes! The lines, though not perfectly straight, look so natural! And the bar scene is a beaut -- all that light, wood and shiny stuff! The second image...it occurs to me that that's exactly how we see things (minus the chromatic and barrel distortions!). It's just that we have a wide periphery instead of straight photo edges right next to the building. Three really good examples of how to handle the problem.

Here's one of the church pictures straight from the camera. You can see how much fiddling I did with it. I wasn't totally satisfied but, then again, I think I need to loosen up a bit anyway.

I'm finding it easier to correct all those wop angles in Paint Shop Pro (Photo X2) than in PSE, by the way.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9229335

MIss Mary,

Excellent work! I don't think I could have done better with all the power of Photoshop CS6. It does have some remarkable tools, especially in the Adobe Camera Raw module. You can tweak horizontal and vertical, correct barrel and pincushion and more. And you can also correct chromatic aberration.

Your example brings up an important point I forgot to mention. I have also been coached (but usually forget) to anticipate when some of these corrections will be necessary and zoom out a bit (or step back), allowing room to crop around the edges after the correction.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 4, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9229357

Ah, that's an excellent note! I will have to remember that!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9229535

Wonderful bunches of photos, you guys!

Miss Mary, I just love that Farmer's Market shot ... really nice!

And you and Patti both do marvelous work at "fixing" photographs, don't think my two cents would help out ... basically I just flail around until I think things are more to my liking ... no real "routine" or "method" involved.

By the way, Patti, thanks for the lead on the new Fotosketcher and the new beta version ... I'm playing with them as time permits ...

Went to SF yesterday, my DH and I took a friend's 11-year-old daughter on a "field trip" to the Exploratorium ... I gave her a little NIkon point-and-shoot for Christmas, so she and I kind of did a mini "photo-shoot" of the nearby Palace of Fine Arts (one of my favorite buildings/parks in all of SF). It's amazing and somewhat intimidating (and yes, a little depressing) just how wonderfully inventive and intuitive a young, fresh, unjaded, mind/eye can be ... I think she took some marvelous shots and I've asked her to share them with me. If she does, I'll pass some along. Of course, you know, kids ... those fresh minds are rather willy-nilly, too ...

In the meantime, I plod on, painfully aware of how deficient I am technically, and aware too, that maybe it's too late to do anything about it! Nevertheless, here's one shot of the Palace of Fine Arts which I processed in RAW, but did not straighten or correct perspective ... if might give you some idea of what a gorgeous place it is ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 4, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9229595

Jubilada, my first reaction was, "Wow! That's beautiful..." and then I noticed the size of the people on the right-hand side of the structure.

WOWEE! That's a big, gorgeous place!!! And that's a really good shot, too.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9229614

Here are some shots from yesterday that I've used the beta FotoSketcher Pencil Sketch 5 on ...

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9229730

Jubilada,

What a treat to see those images!!! I had the same experience as Miss Mary. I can't imagine something that huge. What a fantastic place for photography. All of your photos are exceptional. I love the distant view which puts it all in perspective and the two closer views are beautiful. The swan is so graceful. Gorgeous photo.

I hope your friend's daughter shares her photos. Kids are pretty amazing when it comes to creativity.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 5, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9230346

My editing on these involved power line shadow and garden hose removal, selective sharpening and exposure adjustments, etc.

1. Bumblebee asleep in a Hibiscus blossom
2. Fireball Hibiscus

This message was edited Aug 5, 2012 11:59 AM

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9230885

Miss Mary,

Good job on the shadow and garden hose removal. I'm guessing it was in the Fireball image, but I can't tell where that happened!

You sure do catch a lot of those sleeping bees. Do you sing bumblebee lullabies? Or, maybe hummmmm them?

Love that fireball! I like the way you photographed it with one looming large in the corner. Very cool.

Just one from me. Playing with some images I got with my cell phone. :-) This butterfly was flitting around my real camera when I was trying to get some video. It really liked my telephoto lens. I finally had to at least try to get some shots with my cell phone. I couldn't get very close and the butterfly was blending in with the camo cover on the lens, so I played around to try to emphasize the butterfly. I selected a rough area around the bfly and then inversed the selection and feathered it quite a bit so the transition would be smooth. Then I did a radial zoom blur. Then I played with the Filter > Render > Lighting. I don't use this much and don't have a clue how to do it, but I did put some light on the bfly and darken the edges after fiddling with it a bit.

Finished it off with a simple frame that I also ran through the radial zoom blur.

Acccckkkkk. After all that fiddling, I still like the original better.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9230971

As usual, Miss Mary, your Hibiscus shots are wonderful, especially that one with the bee!

Patti, I too prefer the original!

I'm struggling with this new class and making my first assignment submissions! This is not a piece of cake! More later ...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 7, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9232969

Me three...I like the original shot, Patti.

I went to the Memphis Pink Palace Museum yesterday and took lots of photos of things with lines and angles. As I'm trying new things and working with a new camera, I invite and look forward to your criticism.

1. A little historical intro. The building is made of Georgia Pink Marble, by the way.
2. I believe this is the one I used my camera's HDR function on.
3. An Elvis exhibit. They should have put the "no photography allowed" signs on this side of it as well.
4. Memphis being the Cotton Capital of the world, we've had a Cotton Carnival here for decades and the Cotton Kings and Queens had elaborate costumes back in the day.
5. Looking out one of the windows onto the front lawn. I caught the bird flying by quite by accident. I had to do a good bit of perspective adjusting on this one and I may have used HDR.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 7, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9232982

An added note -- I used Topaz Adjust on many of the pictures, as well as PSE exposure (and other) tweaks.

1. Looking out another window.
2. I used PicMonkey softening on this one.
3, 4 & 5. I used three different slider settings of Topaz adjust on this one shot. I tried to get dead-center when taking the picture so that the angling would be (hopefully!) even on the left and right sides of the fixture. Shooting upward and across a large room...

I'd be particularly interested in your thoughts on those last three. Needless to say, I had a large amount of fringe to remove from around the windows.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 7, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9232985

1. Lots and lots and lots of skewing and straightening on this one...

Well, I hit "send" instead of "choose file" so there's only one for this post!

This message was edited Aug 7, 2012 10:05 AM

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9232996

Miss Mary,

Great job on the first five images. (Oops, I started my comments while you were still loading more images.) I never felt that something was off kilter or should have been shot at a different angle while looking at your photos. They all look to be exposed just right too!

The EXIF information embedded in your images doesn't indicate that you used HDR, but my EXIF reader might not know how to decode that information, so I can't tell. The window example sure looks like it is possibly HDR since the inside of the window frame is exposed nicely and the outside is too. That certainly would have been a good candidate. And you got a BIF!!! How cool is that!

Your first shot is a perfect example of what my photography teacher tried to drill into us when we were doing vacation type photography. She always says to include street signs and informational signs to get that "sense of place," which helps to tell the story later. And, as you did in the second shot, she says to get the shot without the distraction of the signs too.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2012 11:22 AM

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 7, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9233001

1. This skylight fascinated me but, for all my positioning and aiming, I still didn't hit it dead-center. Any siggestions?
2. A replica of a 1920s/1930s Memphis drugstore. I only fiddled with the angles a little on this one. The top corners are a bit skewed but I'm not so sure it's something to try and fix. Any thoughts?
3. Clyde W. Parke Miniature Circus. Amazing thing. If you want to read a little about it, here's a good article: http://www.memphisdowntowner.com/ClydeParke.html
4. Miniature Circus

I actually used the in-camera HDR on a number of shots but most of them were better without it. There just weren't many backlit dark things, despite the bright sun pouring in through the windows behind them. I need to go back through some threads and find some of your HDR examples. If you have any you'd like to post, it would be helpful.

Thanks a lot for what I know will be some helpful comments! :-)

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 7, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9233005

Hmmmm...Patti, here are the shots I took on the mansion. One of them was taken using the HDR camera feature. I remember masking and blending certain areas of it with the original. Does your EXIF pick out one of them?

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9233036

HelloMissMary wrote:
1. Looking out another window.
2. I used PicMonkey softening on this one.
3, 4 & 5. I used three different slider settings of Topaz adjust on this one shot. I tried to get dead-center when taking the picture so that the angling would be (hopefully!) even on the left and right sides of the fixture. Shooting upward and across a large room...

Miss Mary, I love that PIcMonkey softened look - very dreamy. This image would have been a good candidate for HDR. More on HDR later.

For 3 through 5, I like them all. I think you did a great job of framing this one up. The angle is very pleasing. This one would also have been a candidate for HDR if there was something of interest out the windows - nice cloudy sky, for example. Even though I like all of them, my preference is the last one with all of that wonderful texture. It is as if I can "feel" the walls with my eyes. Eeeeek. That sounds painful, but hopefully you know what I mean and undoubtedly you could have said it MUCH better. :-)
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9233065

HelloMissMary wrote:Hmmmm...Patti, here are the shots I took on the mansion. One of them was taken using the HDR camera feature. I remember masking and blending certain areas of it with the original. Does your EXIF pick out one of them?

No, but I think my EXIF reader just doesn't know how to read it. When you take a photo on the HDR setting with your camera, you have to keep still until it is done taking the photos. It will take more than one. When the composite image shows up on the monitor, it is done. The camera will blend all of the images it takes together and give you two images - one of the composite without HDR processing and one of the composite with HDR processing. I think the second one is the HDR processed image. I don't know why it would show normal EXIF data (shutter speed, aperture) on any of the HDR images. They are a composite of images taken at different shutter speeds.

Maybe you can put the camera in HDR mode and practice this at your house. Just put a vase of flowers or your gnome or anything in front of a window with sun streaming in. Without HDR or the flash firing, the vase should be dark since it is against a bright backlight. With HDR, the camera should take one exposure that is correct for the vase and one that is correct for the bright window. Then it should blend them together and show you two images - one will have the vase somewhat dark and the window too bright. The HDR processed one should show a nicely exposed vase and a nicely exposed view out the window.

Another trick instructors teach is that whenever you are planning to shoot a series for HDR, take a photo of your hand before and after. Then you'll know where the shots for HDR are. Same for taking multiple shots that you plan to stitch together for a panorama - shoot your hand before and after. You shouldn't have to do this since your camera doesn't record all the photos in the HDR, but maybe it wouldn't hurt since it does record two.

p
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9233077

HelloMissMary wrote:1. This skylight fascinated me but, for all my positioning and aiming, I still didn't hit it dead-center. Any siggestions?
2. A replica of a 1920s/1930s Memphis drugstore. I only fiddled with the angles a little on this one. The top corners are a bit skewed but I'm not so sure it's something to try and fix. Any thoughts?
3. Clyde W. Parke Miniature Circus. Amazing thing.
4. Miniature Circus

I actually used the in-camera HDR on a number of shots but most of them were better without it. There just weren't many backlit dark things, despite the bright sun pouring in through the windows behind them. I need to go back through some threads and find some of your HDR examples. If you have any you'd like to post, it would be helpful.

Thanks a lot for what I know will be some helpful comments! :-)

1. This is hard to do. Sometimes things are not square so there is nothing you can do. This should be square though. Did you use a tripod? I can't even hope to get something like this framed perfectly without a tripod. You have to take a shot, look at it, tweak the tripod, take a shot ... That all being said, it is still a very cool shot!!! I love all the lines.

2. I wouldn't try to fix anything on this. It is lovely. I love all of the dark wood and the color tones.

3 and 4 - Very amazing to see. Such incredible attention to detail.

HDR - Next post. I'll go dig up some examples. In-camera HDR processing might not be up to speed yet. You might have to learn how to do it by shooting several images yourself and doing the blending yourself.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 7, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9233103

Wow. This is good stuff! I find I'm unable to to do HDR "the old-fashioned way" because even the tiniest camera movement makes for an unattractive composite. Even using my tripod, there is movement from pushing the shutter release button. One of the things I looked for while shopping for a camera was one that accommodated a cable release but I didn't find any that did.

Most of the HDR shots I took ended up waaaaay overexposed. The one above that I used PicMonkey softening on really looked icky. It didn't matter, though, since the best thing about that window was the light pouring through it. The view outside wasn't attractive in any way. I do think practicing at home with things in a window is a great idea. I didn't think of that!

I have realized that having the camera perfectly level (in certain cases) is crucial to getting the most from those angle shots. For instance, something that is "eye-level" can be skewed pretty badly if my camera angle is a little up or down. Any trick to making sure you're aiming at it dead-on?

By the way, all the above shots were taken with a tripod.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9233162

Miss Mary,

I don't know if PSE has it or not, but Photoshop will allow you to stack photos together (ends up as a layer for each photo in one file) and it will blend them by matching features. I shoot HDR handheld all the time now. The only thing you have to watch is that the shutterspeed on the brightest image or images (longest shuterspeed) is not so slow that you will get camera shake. The more you zoom, the faster those shutter speeds have to be. More zoom will magnify camera shake.

I suspect that in-camera HDR is not there yet. But, don't give up. Try at home in a controlled environment.

And, yes, having the camera flat to the plane of what you are shooting will prevent perspective distortion. But, if you are shooting a tall building, you have to tilt that cam up and ... oh well, either make the distortion work for you in an edgy type of image or get out those correction tools. Or, get a dSLR and buy a tilt-shift lens. Wheeeee.

You can try one of these level bubbles to make sure your cam is level. It fits in the hot shoe on top of the camera. Just keep adjusting the tripod until the level tool indicates the camera is level in all three directions. Here's one type. There are others:
http://www.amazon.com/Calumet-Tri-axis-Cube-Level-Mount/dp/B001IZG0DC

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9233179

A few examples of HDR shots I've done.

1. This one is one of the ones that the purists will say is garbage. They will point out that there is no way you can shoot into the sun and have the distant foreground lit up like this. It is in shadow. So, they look at it and say, "impossible and just a fad that will fade." Well, they are right that you can't shoot it without using HDR. And, they might be right about HDR being a fad that will fade. I don't think so, but I plan to enjoy playing with it for now. And I delight in making those images that would not be possible without HDR. I think they have a dramatic appeal that is more art than photography. Artists paint what their eyes see, not what some old purist, fuddy duddy's camera could capture.

2. This is one of the classic examples of when to use HDR - to get detail inside and outside on a bright day. Realtors use HDR in photographing inside of properties when the view outside the window is a nice one. They have to be very careful to process the HDR shots in a very subtle way - no wild and crazy and no oversaturation. It has to look as real as possible. I tried to tone down the processing on this one and make it look natural.

3. On this image, the sky was very bright and it was very dark under the pier. I processed it as a normal HDR, but then I added a lot of contrast to bring a little of the shadows back because I liked the dark, foreboding look under the pier. Unfortunately, I blew out some of the sky at the same time. I could fix that, but I got tired of messing with it.

4. Another one of those "impossible" images. As you can see by the hot spot on the heron on the right, the sun is in front of me and to the left. The herons were in the shadows. I either had to use flash to light them up or HDR. Since the flash was back in my hotel room, I used HDR.

Hopefully those will help some to decide when and why to use HDR. HDR comes in handy when you are shooting in a situation where you have very bright highlights and very dark shadows in the same view. The only way to capture that huge range of light is to shoot several images and optimize the exposure for each element of the scene and then somehow blend them together later. My favorite blending software is Photomatix, but I understand Nik Efex has a good one too. I don't care for Photoshop's HDR filter, but some people love it. In the old days (about 4 years ago - LOL), I blended them together by hand using layers and layer masks in Photoshop. PITA! But, it worked.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2012 2:01 PM

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 7, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9233198

Patti, those are lovely shots in the first place -- each one of them! Gorgeous! I will have to read up some on what PSE9 will and won't do as far as stacking. On the image (whichever one it was) that I took of the Pink Palace with HDR, there wasn't a drastic dark/light situation but I wanted to capture the blue sky and white clouds as well as the light pink mansion, so I layered the two output photos and masked the better sky shot onto the better structure shot.

I am not a purist. Indeed, sometimes I feel their steely glares as I apply Topaz and other filters to my shots. I don't mind a surreal look as long as someone's not trying to pass it off as real. Until about 3 or 4 years ago, I wasn't aware of the two schools of thought. After being brought up to speed on it, I'm careful to ask how much editing is allowable before submitting a photo to a site or entering it into a contest, etc.

I will be playing with HDR some more as well as some of the other things this camera offers. Oh, by the way, there's no hot shoe (not even a totally flat surface!) on the top of my camera, so I guess I'm just going to have to keep eyeballing it.

Thanks for all your comments and those wonderfully diverse HDR shots!

Jubilada, I hope you're going to share some of your thoughts as well. You have "the eye" and that fabulous flair that is so uniquely you!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9233266

Well, Miss Mary and Patti, I've been preoccupied ... things are settling down now ...

Miss Mary, what a wonderful, entertaining and educational bunch of shots! I especially find those window photos very appealing! Nice work! You're getting some great lines and angles! Nice little camera!

And, Miss Mary, as far as getting a series of shots (using bracketing or your camera's HDR function) for the purpose of "blending" without distortion of camera movement, have you tried a cable release? Or, as Patti has suggested, setting the timer? It works! I seldom attempt HDRs without using either method. And, quite frankly, any shot that's going to be under 1/100s (shot on a tripod, of course) benefits greatly from using a cable release or setting the timer. It's such a shame to ruin a good shot with camera shake!

Patti, your HDR shots are always killer! Just so much fun and color and texture ... whew!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9233599

In case you're interested, here are three of the photos I've submitted for my first lessons of the "Stretching Your Frame of Mind," on-line photography class ... there have been NO manipulations of any kind, because that's the rule! I can tell you that the instructor gave me pretty good marks (if "You have it!", "very nice photograph" and "very pretty" can be considered "pretty good").

The first photo did not get "high praise," but I won't go into that ... it was my fault for not being specific enough in photo introduction (long story), but it's supposed to be an example of "negative space."

Second photo, another example of "negative space," with which the instructor was quite pleased ... Negative space being that area of the photograph which "supports" the "positive space" or subject. The instructor pointed out that the stem was a critical part of the "negative space." Interesting, eh?

Third photo, an example "vanishing point," which, at least according to the instructor ... I captured. The idea being two parallel lines leading to a vanishing point at the horizon ... and the horizon must be specific, not implied! The leading lines of the bricks were a bonus. All together, methods of drawing people into a photograph.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9233616

Now, all that being said ... I have to imagine that if either you Miss Mary, or you Patti, were to take this course, you'd both knock the teacher's socks off! I don't think that my submissions are particularly noteworthy!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9233623

Excellent, Jubilada! Negative space and Vanishing Point are not even part of my photographic vocabulary. I will have to read up. Is the stem important because it "literally" holds up the positive space (the flower)? Or am I over-interpreting? The vanishing point image is a perfect example! I get that one.

Thanks for sharing your lesson and images. I've learned something!

We crossed in cyberspace ... Your images are fantastic. Quit beating yourself up! Miss Mary and I will take care of that chore when it becomes necessary. :-) :-) LOL

This message was edited Aug 7, 2012 9:02 PM

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 7, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9233646

Jubilada, I wouldn't have known where to start looking for "negative space"! I do like your submissions, especially the last one. As Patti said, I understand the concept of the vanishing point. I'm glad you've done well on your first assignment!

As for your suggestions for me in using in-camera HDR, I like that timer idea and plan to try that. A cable release won't work on my camera.

Thanks, both of you, for all your constructive criticism and help!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9233654

Patti, I can only assume that the stem area is important because the teacher drew a diagram on my photo and said "critical," and because it supports the flower "physically and literally," well, that makes sense, eh?

Now, as far as the "vanishing point" is concerned, it doesn't have to be only two parallel lines ... it can be many. Depends on the composition. One of the student's submissions was of a train station, with the tracks down the middle, and the platforms on either side, and the rooftops above the tracks, so many parallel lines all vanishing into the horizon ... quite a photo! The teacher sure raved about that one!

You guys wouldn't really beat me up, would you??? (LOL)

And here's that Redwood Tree ... I struggled to get this shot, and am rather proud of it!

This message was edited Aug 7, 2012 7:51 PM

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9233726

And, Patti, take a look at your Number 3 HDR above: Vanishing Points! Albeit from the top, it doesn't matter! Think about it! There's definitely a horizon, although it's a little bowed ...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 7, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #9233781

Jubilada, we would never beat you up in a million gazillion years!

Say, that Redwood's neat. I love how robust the trunk is, with spindly branches and the plethora of leaves! I'm sure those branches are anything but spindly, actually, but comparatively...

Patti's HDR shot above really is all about the vanishing point, isn't it?

I wound up on an idyllic little gravel road today while I was out driving around, and took this shot. All I did was crop a little off the edges and apply Adjust to even out the dark spots on the fence.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9233884

Jubilada,

So, Miss Mary's skylight above wouldn't be vanishing lines because no horizon, right? They need a name for parallel lines that appear to converge but don't "vanish" into the horizon. I think they make a very cool compositional element too. Maybe there is and I just don't know it. Probably converging lines. I didn't even realize until you mentioned it that the pier had a vanishing point. My brain wasn't thinking of it coming from above.

That redwood image is wonderful. I love all the texture and the rich red color. The branches at the top are extending across and seem to "catch" the viewer. My eyes start near the bottom and move upward faster and faster and those branches guide the landing into the wonderful sun-warmed leaves. Then I have to go back to the bottom and climb that tree again. Love it!

Miss Mary,

Your description of the road fits your image perfectly - idyllic! It does invoke some action - heading through that fence to see what's on the other side. But, mostly I see it as a tranquil, slow stroll in a lovely pasture. Very calming. Whew, I needed that rest after all the exercise I got climbing that awesome redwood tree a dozen times. :-)

I'm being silly, but I am noticing the dynamic quality of images a lot more these days. I don't think I ever realized it that much even as little as a year or so ago. If I can just learn enough to make it work for me in my images, I'll have another great tool in my camera bag.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9234130

You're right, Patti, Miss Mary's skylight doesn't qualify for the "vanishing point" ... however, I think those lines are some kind of important element that we'll be learning about soon (something like "continuance" or "convergence," one of the teacher's "gestalt" properties ...)

Miss Mary, that's a great road/fence shot ... I love the geometry, and the lovely tranquility!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9235698

"Naked Ladies," (Amaryllis) and fence, this morning ... CameraRaw and frame ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9235823

Jubilada, Very pretty! Love that color. Thought about you this morning. One of my coworkers that retired about 15 years ago invited me to come see his backyard. It was a jungle out there with plants and little walkways. If my backyard was that beautiful, I would never go in the house. But, what caught my eye was a big, beautiful brugmansia plant. The flowers were sagging, so I didn't take any photos, but I was surprised to see that plant. I have never seen them anywhere around my area. I might have to see if I can find one in a nursery around here.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9235884

Patti, all my brugmansias came from Logee's, and I ordered them by mail many years ago (before internet commerce!) ... they're easy to start new plants from, once they are established. They will actually thrive in large pots. They do not like to be in full sun all the time, and prefer to be kind of sheltered (such as against or near the house). Check out:

http://www.logees.com

The varieties I have are Alba Peach, Jamaica Yellow and Charles Grimaldi. I did once have an Ecuadorian Pink, but sadly I did not take proper care of it and it failed.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9235888

Thanks! I'll check it out.
p

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 9, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9236174

I'll bet that was a real treat, Patti. I hope you end up with one of those pretties!

Jubilada, nice Naked Lady. My NLs (Lycoris) pooped out in the extreme heat this year, I guess. Only one bloomed.

Yesterday, I went back to the Pink Palace. I wanted to get some outside shots and also wanted to see if I could try out some of those wonderful tidbits you two gave me, while they were fresh in my mind. Jubi, using the timer was great. Seems so simple, I should have thought of it myself BUT, since I didn't...

I believe I used Adjust on each one of these, to one extent or another.

1. Front of the mansion, at an angle
2. Front of mansion, exaggerated color
3. Close-up of pillar
4. Looking across entryway
5. Museum window, with reflection of skylight

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 9, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9236187

Last time, I went in mid-afternoon. I made this trip in the morning, to take advantage of the different light.

1. I tried another shot of the skylight
2. & 3. GI-NORMOUS mirror in what was once the living room - it was huge!
4. Windows (several treatments used)
5. 19th century Austrian Curio. I had a pretty hard time getting a decent shot with all the backlighting.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 9, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9236216

1. The view from what was to be the grand entrance. The WPA commissioned Burton Callicott (in 1934) to paint this mural commemorating the exploration of this area by Hernando DeSoto. Callicott's murals at the Pink Palace are the only remaining WPA artworks in Memphis.
2. I wanted to get an upward-looking shot of that light fixture but there was some furniture directly under it. I did what I could and then decided I liked the off-centered look and kept the angle as well.
3. I found a museum employee, who granted me permission to breach the "Staff Only" barrier on the staircase underneath the mural in order to get a better shot across the room.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9236238

What a swell bunch of photographs, Miss Mary! Very exciting ... The Gi-Normous mirror shots are really great, especially number 3. And I'm so happy to see that WPA mural! Wonderful!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9236446

Miss Mary,

Fantastic images! On Set 1, Image 2, Front of Mansion - Beautiful composition and photo. The symmetry is amazing. You must have spent some time getting that one so perfect. I really thought for a minute that you cut the photo down the middle and flipped it over to get it so perfect. Set 1, Image 3 - Cool angle on that pillar.

Set 2 - Image 1 - You really nailed the composition on the skylight this time. Very cool image. It would have earned a Perfect Picture at PPSOP in the lines assignment.
Set 2 - Images 2 and 3 - Mirror reminds me of kid stories - Mirror, Mirror on the wall in Snow White and Harry Potter's Mirror of Erised. The first image really shows off the grandness of the mirror, and I like the creative angle on the second with the interesting reflection.

That extra bit of wide angle with the new camera makes for some excellent inside images. The first and last images of the last set emphasize how huge that room is, especially seeing that huge mirror in the third image. Knowing that the mirror is huge tells me that the room is REALLY huge.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9237230

My first timelapse is here: http://youtu.be/R4nBqbtkQHw

My nephew and his wife are having their guest bath remodeled. I was planning to get shots of when the guy did the tile work. The contractor said the tile work would start around 10 and finish around 4 or 5 pm.

I calculated out the total time and decided to take a shot every 30 seconds which would give me about a 30 second timelapse - more time than most people want to spend watching one of these things unless it's the Northern Lights over a mountain range.

Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong. It was equipment and communication failure to the max. The day before, the contractor said the tile work would start at 10, but he didn't mention that they would be doing framing work for 5 hours before ever touching a tile. The tile work didn't happen until well after 3pm. My battery decided to quit at about 15 minutes before the guy started putting in the tile! Not a single image of the tile! Arrrrrgh.

I charged the battery overnight and I've shot star trails with that same camera and same battery for a lot longer exposures out in the cold where batteries don't work so well. Oh well, time to get rid of that battery.

Oh, and my watch battery decided to stop working at the same time. Cue the Twilight Zone music.

No critique yet. I'll let you guys know if I survive. Now I'm off to get some ice cream... :-) You'll understand.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9237244

New topic. After the timelapse fiasco, Nephew, his wife and I went down to Galveston to check out the new Pleasure Pier on a pier over the beach. I found a couple of good vantage points to get some evening and night photos of the new attraction.

The first two have been manipulated way beyond simple tweaks.

1. This is three images blended together. I needed a fast shutter speed to get definition in the clouds and stop the little chairs hanging down on that tall ride in the middle. I wanted a slow shutter speed to smooth out the choppy waves on the water and make the reflections glow. And I needed a shutter speed in between those two to get that smeared out look on the ferris wheel. I stacked the three images as layers and used masks to get the parts I wanted to show through.

2. This one is several images stacked together so I could get that roller coaster car in several spots along the track. When the car first started chugging up on the left side, I started snapping and just kept snapping until it stopped. I used blend modes and masking to get the cars to show through.

3. No unusual manipulation here - just the usual slider tweaks in ACR. Not quite twilight sky yet.

4. Ditto for this one - just tweaks. This one was also a bit too early for the lights and the twilight sky, but those clouds were calling me.

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 10, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9237303

Patti, I love that subliminal message! Glad it didn't say anything about housework...

That's a wonderful time-lapse video, even if it didn't turn out anything like you planned. That would have been great had it all come together, though. I think you're right about the TZ music. That's plain eerie!

Now, for the Galveston pics --- oh, that first one's magic! You did a superb job at bringing out the best of everything! The ferris wheel is enchanting and its reflection couldn't be better. Glad you thought about smoothing the water! Those little cars flying around are so delightful. I can hear the squeals and music and smell the carnival aromas as I watch all the excitement going on. In fact, a video clip could not have captured it all as well as you did in this "one" frame!

Thank you both for your comments on my Pink Palace shots. I really did put forth a lot of effort with getting things lined up (all eyeballing, of course) and took several photos with minor adjustments in between, just for good measure. Yes, this camera's wider angle is SO much better than the other one. And the old cam had some lens blur on the right hand side, making shots like these absolutely impossible.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9238218

Patti, that Time Lapse bathroom remodel sequence is pretty darn cute! Too bad you didn't get the tile work segment!

But the Pleasure Pier group, wow! Now that is a Pleasure to view! Fabulous work! LOVE that sky in number 4!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9238295

How about some plain old tomatoes ... four JPEGs blended, then run through Camera Raw, then framed ... aren't they luscious-looking?

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9238538

Thanks for the comments on the timelapse. I was pretty bummed out about it. Maybe it isn't as bad as I thought. Went back out to the pier tonight and will try to see some meteors later tonight and tomorrow morning from home. Plan to get north of Houston on Sunday night and maybe Monday morning for better meteor viewing and hopefully get some photos.

Jubilada, Mmmmmm. My mouth is watering. Love the photo, too. That bowl looks like the kind that my Mom had many years ago - enamel? I wonder what this image would look like with one of the vintage actions.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9238898

A couple more images of the Pleasure Pier.

1. Two images shot one right after the other. The shutter was already somewhat slow in the first image. I slowed it down even more in the second to further blur the water. I find that I actually like the first one better with less blur and more definition in the water. What do you guys think?

2. More of the same. This time I shot from the top of the seawall to include some of the sand, people and the rock pier that I stood on a couple days ago for those shots. This is a blend of two images to get all of the lights from that center ride. I just stacked the layers, aligned them and used lighten blend mode so the second (lower) set of swirling lights would show up.

Okay, enough of that for a while.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 12, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9238922

Patti, in the first (2-photo) set, I like photo #1 best. My eyes are seeing a little bit deeper blue sky in #2 but the other colors are more saturated in #1. I like that for this subject. It's all fun and whimsy and excitement and the increased colors just add to all of that, in my opinion.

Shot #2 is deliriously wonderful, screaming with excitement and fun! The way you have presented that center ride is fantastic. I probably would never have thought about including those people in the lower part of the image but I like that...it adds more flavor to the punch! I find your photos make my eyes so happy, they want my other senses to enjoy them as well. I can hear the sounds and smell the smells of that fun atmosphere!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9238981

Thanks, Miss Mary. Including the people was actually an afterthought. I wanted to get as much of the reflection in the water as possible. After I framed it up, I thought they did add a sense of scale and place. Wow! Your description of my photos makes me blush. Much appreciated.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9239235

Well, Patti, those photos leave me speechless! I'll just have to ditto what Miss Mary says!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 12, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9239295

The Sunflowers at our Agricenter are now blooming and there are a gazillion of them! Here are a few of my shots from yesterday. The last one was done in HDR and I blended the sky from one of the shots into the second shot, which was better for the flowers. I don't remember what all I did in processing these - mostly Topaz Adjust.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 12, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9239344

1 & 2. New playground at Shelby Farms Park
3 & 4. Bison at Shelby Farms
5. This is a friend of mine. Yesterday, when we went to see the Sunflowers, we ran into some folks who had brought this frame as a prop. I used a little enhancement on the area inside the frame.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9240041

Wow! Miss Mary, those sunflower images are excellent. Bees, butterflies and more. My fave is #2, but I love all of them. Cool angles at the park. The first bison shot with the buildings in the background is so cool - you are so good at telling stories with your images. Frame got a chuckle from me - cute idea and really nicely composed and exposed.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9241004

More silliness from me.

This was an Oops. I was shooting the Pleasure Pier with cam on tripod at some very slow shutter speeds. I decided to walk across the street and shoot from a different spot and while waiting for the traffic light to change, I framed up a handheld shot without changing any settings. When the shutter clicked open and didn't close immediately, I realized that I goofed, so I just jerked the camera around for a blur. I sort of liked it, so I played around with it a little ...

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9241414

Miss Mary, what a lovely bunch of sunflowers! And those butterflies! What a visual treat!

Patti, that's a very cute "ooops"!

Here's a photo I did for my class, but now it's been messed with (Topaz), Fotosketched and framed ... one of my classmates commented that it reminded him of a Jan Van Eyck painting ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9241622

Jubilada,

I love the photo and the treatment is perfect. You have just the right touch on the painterly effect and that red matte really brings out the already prominent reds in the image. Francisco is his usual charming self and posing so nicely. I'll have to look up Jan Van Eyck. Don't have a clue there.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 15, 2012
11:05 PM

Post #9243140

Fun stuff, Patti. I like that! Looks like an amusement park on Speed! :-)

Jubilada, the first things that caught my eye in your piece was the wonderful smattering of muted reds. I just really like that. You have subjects who will sit for you whether in window sills or in chairs or whatever. They must get paid well!

I went to visit one of my high school teachers today in her retirement community. I took some shots of the lobby while I was there. It's just beautiful.

1. Mirror reflecting grand staircase
2. Grand staircase in Lobby
3. Wonderful Chandelier in the Lobby

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9245845

Wow, that's one fancy retirement home, Miss Mary. Great angles on all of these. I especially like the one of the mirror reflecting the staircase.

I had a little time to play this afternoon, so I zoom blurred this cactus to reveal the rodent hiding inside.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9246119

Miss Mary, the shot of the mirror with the reflected staircase is really super! Nice Shot!

Patty, that's a pretty cute Micky Prickly!

I've been busy, not only with my photography class (whew, it's hard), but other things too, like processing produce (it's that time of year!) ... so nothing from me much, except this church shot which I could not use for my class because I had to crop out a telephone pole ... then, what the heck, I topazzed it ... and there you are!

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 18, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9246127

Patti, I like the ♪ M-I-C-K-E-Y ♫ C-A-C-T-U-S ♪ (well, there's an extra syllable there but what the heck!). That's really a great shape and a wonderful treatment to bring it out.
Jubilada, I like the way you've framed the steeple with the near and distant trees. Nice!

I went back to Dixon Gardens as soon as we had a cool snap (highly unusual for Memphis in August).

1. This Chief Rose Cockscomb was glowing at me from across the garden! Most of the time, I'm cleaning up blown-out colors and purple fringe like crazy. This one had them in real life!
2. Topazzed bench
3. Processed with DAP

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9246321

Jubilada, Ditto what Miss Mary said on the framing with the trees on that church. And, I can't imagine where that pole could have been. Super removal job.

Miss Mary, Not only is the bright color beautiful on that flower, but the convoluted shape is interesting too. Love the bench and all of the wonderful patterns created by the grass filled cracks between the stones. I like the composition on the last shot - the border plant leading into the scene.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 20, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9247354

I don't know how accurate this is, but I'm having fun playing with it. Thought I'd share it with you all and get some feedback.

http://camerasim.com/camera-simulator/
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9247519

Miss Mary, that's an interesting application ... and looks like there's a bunch of other stuff to check out as well ... I've bookmarked it. Thanks!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9247619

And the vegetables just keep coming in ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9248614

Rats. Can't see what is on the link until I get home to a real computer. No Flash on this iPad.

Jubilada, cukes look good.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 21, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9249116

At the playground in Shelby Farms Park yesterday:

1. Boy, this looked like fun!
2. It was hot, though, and this little guy was tuckered out. The cool water felt so good, he fell asleep!
3. I hate that the sky was so blown out in this one. I like it otherwise.
4. The baby was really enjoying this!
5. Lines and lines and more lines...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 21, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9249151

1. Shelby Farms lake scene - HDR with camera and Topaz Adjust
2. Another one...I include this because I was amazed at the clarity of detail. The shot was way over-exposed and I almost tossed it out. Then I ran it through Topaz Adjust and it came to life a bit and I saw all that clarity. 1/800 sec., f3.3, ISO100 - you folks know more than I do about this information and, perhaps, you can clue me in on why it was so clear and crisp and the others (though good) were not.
3. Sleepy ducky on a rock
4. Boats
5. Fishing

This message was edited Aug 21, 2012 2:21 PM

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9249346

Looks like a pretty fun place, Miss Mary ... nice bunch of shots! I especially like the first lake scene. As to the clarity of the second, I'll guess it was the fast shutter speed and the f stop for the particular lens on your camera (don't know what the 35mm equiv would be, but Patti will, for sure). Great duckie on the rocks, and that "Boats" shot is quite something!

In the third week of this class I'm taking, I'm scratching my head, and feeling that I'm pretty much in over my head ... so much to absorb, and applying it, well that will take much time and practice and dedication! Nevertheless, part of this week's assignment was to capture a letter and a color: I was given the letter C and the color Red.

First off, I tried it with this chair: the teacher thought it was clever (I was "stretching my frame of mind,"), but too esoteric. So, he suggested I try something else.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9249351

So, I turned to my tomatoes, they're pretty red, after all. These are some of what I submitted:

• Shot in the late afternoon, I was going after the shadows (rejected)
• Shot in the early overcast morning, mixing it up with a little table as well as the tray (rejected)
The teacher said it looked too much like I was "making" a picture, rather than "taking" a picture ... I got turned around with the semantics, I guess, and lost my bearings ...
• Another attempt (rejected), so here, THIS one I have messed with in photoshop and topaz
• Success at last ... this one will be in his "Hall of Frame," and included on his blog. My first (and I suspect only) picture to do so!

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 21, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9249389

I like all of those myself. I think it speaks highly of your observational skills to have seen the red C in that chair but, then again, I'm not surprised. You do have a keen eye when it comes to photography. I'd have said any of those tomato shots was wonderful myself. That was a very clever idea you came up with. I do like the relaxed look of #4 and am glad you've reached that place of honor on his blog.

Those tomatoes are so rich and red and I can only imagine how good they taste!!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9249391

Ah, Miss Mary, the tomatoes are wonderful ... and I'm just about up to my eyeballs in them! Lots of sauce in my future.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9249550

Miss Mary,

I so enjoyed seeing all of your Shelby Farms Park images - wonderful compositions on all of them! Of course, you know I had to zero in on that sleepy ducky first. What a cute model you had and it's an excellent photo - nice and close but still have enough room around him to get a feeling for his habitat.

That is an incredible, futuristic playground. I don't think I've ever seen one as nice. I didn't even notice the sky in the third image, since I was so interested in seeing the space age playground equipment. You composed that one perfectly. Chris, PPSOP instructor, would have pointed out that the tall vertical wooden structure would have to be shot vertically.

As far as clarity in one image over another ... I think all of them are pretty darn sharp, but to my eyes, the first lake image is sharper than the second. But, I'm just looking at these web-sized images so I can't see what you can see.

Here's what I noticed with respect to what can make an image sharp or blurry ...

1. Depth of Field - The aperture you used in the first image is f/5.9 and in the second, is f/3.3. The smaller the aperture (the larger the f-stop number), the more things you will have in focus in front of and behind the point of focus. So, the one shot at f/5.9, the first one, should have more depth of field.

2. Lens Aperture Sweet Spot - Most lenses do not do as well when they are wide open (at the widest open aperture) as they do somewhere toward the middle of the aperture range. Most lenses have a "sweet spot" in the aperture range where they get the best image quality. The second image is wide open at f/3.3, so theoretically, it could suffer in image quality. Since I'm out shooting early in the morning, I almost always shoot wide open to get as much light as I can, so this is not a big deal most of the time.

3. Lens Zoom Sweet Spot - Same story for the zoom. Most lenses don't do as well zoomed all the way in or all the way out as they do somewhere toward the middle. Both of these images are toward the wide angle end of the zoom, but the first one is at the widest zoom focal length setting at 4.3mm (which is a 35mm equivalent of 24mm ) and the second one is at 7.1 mm on the zoom (which is a 35mm equivalent of ~ 40mm.) So, in this case, the second one has the advantage.

4. ISO - Higher ISO can result in noise which will reduce sharpness or clarity. Both of these were shot at ISO 100, so not an issue.

5. Exposure - If you underexpose an image and have to brighten it in post processing, you will run the risk of having higher noise even at the lowest ISO you can get. Pulling information out of dark, underexposed shadows pulls out noise too. This also, is not an issue here since you overexposed which is good in a way. It is actually a whole lot better to overexpose slightly than underexpose, but not if you are so overexposed that you are blowing out important highlights (egret feathers for example.) If you want to know more about this one, do a search for "shoot to the right." But, put simply, when you look at your histogram, you should be pushed over toward the right edge, but not touching it. If you have a lot of space between the right side of your histogram and the right edge, you are throwing away a lot of data gathering capability.

6. Camera Shake - The first image was shot at 24mm and the second at 40mm. The rule of thumb to avoid the blurriness that goes with camera shake is that the shutter speed should be approximately 1 over 2 times the focal length. So, for the first, the shutter speed should be approximately 1/50th of a second. It was 1/500, ten times as fast as it needed to be. NOT an issue. For the second image, the shutter speed should be approximately 1/80th of a second or faster. It was at 1/800th, so also ten times as fast. This was not an issue. No tripod needed at these speeds.

So, bottom line is that I don't have a clue. #1 and #2 explain why the first image should be sharper, #3 favors the second image and #4, 5 and 6 don't matter. I might have missed something.

Jubilada, First of all, BIG congratulations on being inducted into Joe's Hall of Fame! I think that accomplishment deserves a night out on the town to celebrate. I have to agree with Miss Mary, I love all of the tomato images and I think the one of the chair is awesome. It's my favorite. I don't see why it missed the mark. Whew, I'm getting worried. Next month, I'll be in that hot seat. And, back to those tomatoes... my mouth is watering. They look so wonderfully ripe and delicious. I can just imagine taking a big bite and the tomato juice running down my arm and chin. Yummmmmmmm.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9249904

Patti, you're going to do extremely well in this class! You're much more disciplined than I, and you also have a lot more knowledge under your belt! I can imagine that every one of the photos you submit will go in Joe's blog!

And the tomatoes are delicious! And there are so many of them!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 22, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9250008

Patti...what can I say? All that expounding to conclude "Beats me"! I enjoyed reading all of that, though. You take things that my brain doesn't seem to be able to wrap around and break them down into a format that speaks my language. It's all waaaaaay over my head but I am venturing out there, little by little, and trying to digest it in little bites. All the shots I posted yesterday were taken in the "Aperture Priority" mode my camera offers. In general, I found them to be more balanced and clear than I usually wind up with when I shoot in Auto. In Aperture Priority mode, I am able to apply some manual touches. I found my biggest struggle to be which way to go with those. Up on this or down on that? Many times, I took several pics of the same thing at different settings and chose the best of the bunch. That was okay with the moored boats and the quiet lake but the duck awoke and jumped into the water and the kids playing were another story altogether!

I've always been a tactile learner, so self-teaching from written material is nearly impossible. Aside from having a personal coach or being in an online class (both out of my financial reach), can either of you suggest a way to go about this that's a little more structured? Any thoughts or comments welcome!

Jubilada, my mouth started to water when Patti took a bite of one of your tomatoes and the juice ran down her arm and chin...ummmmm!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9250219

Well, Miss Mary, you say you don't benefit from "book learning," but it really is a good place to start. Aside from your camera's owner's manual, I'm sure that there are other "how to" books published for your specific camera. I always buy one or two of those. There's a fairly good introductory book: "A Short Course in Digital Photography," by Barbara London and Jim Stone. I really count on books for a lot of my learning, and even though it takes a while for stuff to sink into this thick skull of mine, some of it does, eventually ... sometimes I have to re-read and re-read before I get an "aha" moment.

How about community colleges in your area? Or adult schools? I've taken three pretty decent courses at local institutions (two from Palo Alto Adult School, one from the Pacific Art League) which dealt primarily in introductory digital photography (what do all those buttons on your camera mean, what's aperture, what's focal length, etc.). Again, sometimes I'm kind of slow, but some of it has stuck!

By the way, you've already started the necessary practice of "bracketing," which is taking many pictures of the same thing at different settings (either aperture or shutter speed, or both, depending on the result you want)! So much of learning anything is the practice and the experimentation!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 22, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9250353

Practice and experimentation -- the school of life. Yes, I do want to continue that and I'm trying to get out as much as possible as often as possible, too. I guess it's always important to keep practicing what you've learned. I'll check out the classes around here to see if there's something that could be helpful to me. You know, I've looked online (perhaps I haven't dug deeply enough) for some how-to books for my camera that go beyond the manual. I never found anything. I feel like that would be most beneficial and am glad you mentioned it. I will jump in with both feet this time and see if I can locate something. There's just got to be something like that out there somewhere!

Thanks for the encouragement to stick with the studying. Where were you when I was taking 10th grade Bookkeeping...?

Here's something I haven't done in quite a while. I went by memory and had this feeling I was leaving out a step or two but couldn't find my notes on how to do it. Was it a Gavin Hoey tut perhaps?

Anyway...

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9250428

Oooh, very nice flower globe, MIss Mary ... doesn't look like you forgot anything!

BTW, I couldn't have helped you much with Bookkeeping ... I think it's a dreadful subject (LOL)!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9250702

Miss Mary, I checked the EXIF in your photos and noticed that you were in Aperture Priority. I meant to mention that I thought that was fantastic! You are on the right track by taking control of that camera and telling it what to do instead of letting it decide what to do on its own. That along with the bracketing, as Jubilada mentioned, will go a long way toward learning.

I was in your shoes back in 2004. DH is a great photographer but he and I are not on the same wavelength when it comes to teacher/student. I couldn't understand a word he said. So, I found a school in Houston that offered a few photography classes. I signed up for Basic Photography, 8 hours on a Saturday. When the instructor, Kathy Adams Clark, explained those basic concepts, she did it two or three different ways until everyone in the class got it. She could just look out and tell if people were getting it or not and she just kept at it until we all did. For me, I never could understand the relationship between Aperture and Shutter Speed. She explained it one way. I still didn't get it. She tried another and by this time, most people had it, but I was still clueless. She looked right at me and I knew that she knew I wasn't getting it. She asked me what I did for a living and I told her I was a chemist. She said, "Aha, here you go!" Then she drew a graph on the white board with aperture on the bottom axis and shutter speed on the left axis. Then she put points on the graph and demonstrated what would happen to shutter speed if you changed aperture by graphing it. Holy lightbulb moment. I got it. I worked with graphs all day every day. She was speaking my language.

It sounds as if you learn best by doing rather than by reading. If you like, I can send you some experiments to try that will teach you the basic concepts. We'll just do one at a time and let you play around with that concept until it sinks in and then move to another. There are really only about 4 concepts that you need to master and then you will be off and running.

That globe is so pretty - wonderful shapes and colors.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 22, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9250729

Yep, I'd like that, Patti. I read and read and read my manual (and a couple of other very simple things) about aperture and the rest. I even played around with the camera as I was reading it. Thought that might make it sink in. When I got out to Shelby Farms, I stood there, thinking, okay, now...what did that say?

Funny, I didn't realize until you mentioned it, Jubilada, that I was bracketing! I'd heard the term but had no idea what it was. I thought I was just opting to play "eeny-meeny-miny-moe" as a substitute for thinking.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9251476

Here's Lupita and her whiskers ... cropped, messed with in Camera Raw, Topazzed, etc. ... the blue cast is in the photo, however, reflected light of the cloth she's sitting on.

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 23, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9251583

Oh, wow, I love this. That is a wonderful shot, Jubilada.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9251658

Ditto! That's awesome. Fantastic control of Depth of Field. Lots of emotion and drama going on in that shot. Soooo good.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9252401

New stuff from Gavin Hoey
http://www.tipsquirrel.com/use-photoshop-for-a-seamless-action-sequence/

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9252433

Thanks for that link, Patti, looks like fun ... I'll wait to see what you come up with! Lots of other good stuff there, too!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9253071

Miss Mary, I revisited that Gavin Hoey site to find the tutorial on making the ball of images. It's here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKbUM5NLJ_g&feature=plcp

I gave it a try with some cactus images. I pretty much followed his steps word for word, but I did add the text. As I remember, Jubilada took this one and ran with it - globes sitting on streets, floating down streams in flooded flower beds, etc. Then, I tried my hand at the Jubilada mods and we started getting really crazy with it.

This cactus one is plain vanilla. I need to do another one and spice it up a bit.

Ack...I don't think I like the new upload for images in DH. Now they have to all be in the same folder I guess. Some improvements are steps backward.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 25, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9253256

I like your cactus ball, Patti...I think I'd have tried putting some of those thorns on the outside of it! I'm not sure if or how well that would have worked, but I'd have been tempted beyond my ability to resist!

Thanks for the link!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9253318

Oh, that's a good idea. I don't have a clue how to make it happen, but it would look cool to have a thorny cactus ball.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9253658

OK, this has all given me pause for thought ... but I have no cacti, so how about a cat ?? (It's silly, I know, but I couldn't resist ...)

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9253732

Oh, my gosh! That is so cool, so creative and soooo clever. Jubilada, you are good!

My contribution for the evening - plain old veggies. I tried out the Gavin Hoey vintage tutorial (on the same page as previous link), but I don't think this image was quite right for the technique. At least I went through the steps and learned something about framing with the vignette tools.

1. Right out of the camera (iPhone :-)) veggies
2. Vintage veggies

I wonder how basil pesto with a touch of habanero peppers would be? Or maybe I'll just do some bell/banana/pablano/habanero/tomato salsa with basil. Hmmmmmm. Probably need some type of fruit to counteract the habeneros - mango maybe? I've never put basil in salsa, but I have put cilantro, so what the heck. Time to experiment. Luckily, DH will eat anything.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9253754

Ooooh, lovely peppers, Patti ... are they from your garden? Nice pics ... original and the "vintage" version! Habaneros are too much for me! I notice a sprig of rosemary there ... don't think that's a good culinary addition to salsa! Basil should be just fine. My DH absolutely HATES cilantro (I happen to love it), so I seldom put it in. Mango would be good, as would tomatoes, or ... watermelon!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9253774

Yep. All from garden. No rosemary in the salsa for sure. Baking some chicken and red taters tomorrow, so I'll use a little rosemary on it. Watermelon! That's a great idea and I have some. Yum. Might make up the salsa tomorrow and let it sit in refrigerator until Monday when I'll cook the fish.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9253777

That salsa will be just lovely with the fish ... (wild, I hope, not farm raised ... lol) ...
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9253789

Always wild. Usually caught myself, but I didn't keep any of the fish I caught last week, so I'll have to buy some. Do plan to go fishing next week though. It's like a garden. Freshly caught fish that I keep on ice, clean and filet right away and eat within hours - sooooo good.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9253813

You are a renaissance woman, aren't you, Patti ... !

I don't fish, but I remember years ago (over 50 for sure) going fishing with my father, usually trout (fresh water, of course), cooked over a campfire in a cast iron skillet (I have one of those skillets still, which will always be one of my kitchen darlings) ... but today we had fresh wild salmon, bought from Pietro who fishes in Half Moon Bay, and I guess he caught the fish yesterday ... it was so wonderful ... and you know, of course, that what a fish eats determines how its flesh will taste ... last week we had some salmon which may not have had the best diet!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9253882

Yum. No fresh salmon around here. Have to buy the wild caught and hope it wasn't frozen.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 26, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9254866

Jubilada, as a fellow cat-lover, I must say that whiskers do add the perfect touch to that globe!! Talk about an OOB...

Patti, your veggies look really good! I guess I was having a moment of denial, though...when I clicked on the enhanced picture, I thought, Vintage? That looks like something from the 70s but not vintage...
(Guess I'd better wake up, smell the coffee and check the calendar, huh?)

Fotosketched Hummer. Being very zoomed in and very cropped, it had a lot of noise, so I ran it through the Recursive filter with the sliders maxed out. It took down the noise and I painted the bird back in with the manual brush.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9255134

Miss Mary,

Had to laugh at that "check the calendar" comment. I had the same thought when I looked at GH's final image on the tutorial. It wasn't nearly vintage enough for my timescale. He's a youngster.

Your hummer image is wonderful!! She is so sharp and full of detail and the background is lovely. I know it's some kind of foliage, but it is blurred so nicely that I don't care about it and just focus on the feeder and the beautiful little hummer. That was an interesting and very effective way to deal with noise. I would have never thought of using Fotosketcher and even if I had, I wouldn't have known what to do. I use Imagenomic's Noiseware Professional most of the time and sometimes I use the Topaz Denoise filter, but I don't like it as well.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012

Post #9255547

P_Edens wrote:Miss Mary, I revisited that Gavin Hoey site to find the tutorial on making the ball of images. It's here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKbUM5NLJ_g&feature=plcp

I gave it a try with some cactus images. I pretty much followed his steps word for word, but I did add the text. As I remember, Jubilada took this one and ran with it - globes sitting on streets, floating down streams in flooded flower beds, etc. Then, I tried my hand at the Jubilada mods and we started getting really crazy with it.

This cactus one is plain vanilla. I need to do another one and spice it up a bit.

Ack...I don't think I like the new upload for images in DH. Now they have to all be in the same folder I guess. Some improvements are steps backward.

Hi P_Edens, they don't all have to be in the same folder. You can upload one from one folder, return to DG, select "choose a file" a second time and locate a photo in a different folder, up to 5 times. (The ability to upload 5 from a single folder is a new "bell and whistle" along with a hopefully faster upload process, and the ability to remove a photo in preview before you upload them :-)

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9255565

Thanks, Terry! Sorry for the whining. I probably just need a bit more practice. You can teach an old dog new tricks. It just takes a bit longer to catch on.So far, I have been very happy with the image upload improvements in the past and I'm sure I'll love this one too!

Patti

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 28, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9257149

I made another visit to the Pink Palace yesterday to tour the older part of the museum. I'm amazed at how much there is to see. Most of it apparently didn't make much of an impression on me as a kid.

The older exhibits were very challenging to photograph as they are mostly illuminated by spotlights and much of the surrounding area is dim, if not dark.
Topaz Adjust was used on most of these.

1. Stan, the T-Rex that was unearthed in South Dakota.
2. Civil War canon. I had fun positioning myself for this one.
3. I love old mirrors and I shot at an angle that allowed me to capture part of a display of turn-of-the-century ladies' wear in the reflection.
4. Ah, the General Store...it was actually dark in there. I had to go for a longer exposure and I used the 2-second timer to avoid camera shake. No Topazzing on this one.
5. Same on this one.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 28, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9257172

More images from my visit to the Pink Palace yesterday.

1. This one was highly manipulated with Topaz and the angles were monkeyed around with using PSP and PSE. The General Store.
2. Pretty bizarre, this display. It was in a very small, totally darkened room with a blue spotlight. This cast iron casket held the remains of a man who died in 1854 in this area. Many years later, a man plowing his field discovered the burial vault, which was made of some 2000 hand-made bricks. The man's remains were reinterred in a cemetery nearby.
3. Early 20th century family room replica. The railing around this one was annoyingly in the way, so I actually rested the hand-held camera on the railing to shoot this. I was seriously surprised that it wasn't blurred.
4. Replica of a 19th-century West Tennessee cabin

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9257463

Hey, Miss Mary, great bunch of photos ... what an interesting place that Pink Palace is! Love the star bursts in that Civil War Cannon snot; and the ladies wear reflected in that mirror is very cool indeed! That General Store is a swell shot, too, kind of Norman Rockwell-ish, eh?

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 28, 2012
10:11 PM

Post #9257854

Thanks, Jubilada. Yes, I guess that store shot is rather Rockwell-ish at that! I knew I was going to have to do some perspective correction on it, even as I took it, but was surprised by just how much. There weren't two angles in the shot that seemed to fit together at all. Still, I liked the idea of it just had to give it a try.

The Civil War scene starbursts just happened. I positioned my camera right where I could get the lights between the spokes and still be able to capture that man's face.

I appreciate your critique and welcome it any time.

Here's a shot of Old Glory I caught yesterday as I was leaving the bank.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9258637

Very pretty flag shot, Miss Mary ...

This week I'm wrapping up this class I've been taking ... it's been quite an experience. I've learned a lot ... now the trick is to try to apply all that knowledge in a meaningful way! No easy task. In any event, I'll be glad to start "messing" with my pictures again. Here are some seagull shots from the Duck Pond that I've fussed with somewhat (no Topaz, however) ... cropping, straightening, unsharp mask ... all things strictly verboten in this class! I'm headed out to the pond one more time this evening to try and get good enough shots for my final assignment.

By the way, I think the new photo uploading improvements are great!

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9258776

Miss Mary,

Thanks for taking us along on that tour of the Pink Palace museum. It has a huge variety of exhibits! Dinosaurs! Wow. How cool is that! The cannon image got my attention! Great composition and starbursts make it seem like a battlefield. I like that composition on the first one in the second set - the lines of the floor leading into the image. Hey, I think that's a vanishing point, right Jubilada? I'll know this stuff soon. LOL. Love that Old Glory shot! You do manage to get flags that cooperate and stretch out just right for their photo shoots. I remember before when you did that.

Jubilada,

Oh, that first one is incredible. Gorgeous light and a wonderful curve. And that gull looks like he owns the place. That last one gave me a chuckle. At first glance, I thought the information sign was in front of the bird - a copy stand for the sheet music with the song he is singing. Good catch!

And, yes, I have also warmed up to the new upload method. I don't think it was working correctly when I first used it. After I uploaded one image from one folder, I couldn't switch folders and didn't get the Choose a File button again. It was pick all five at one time from one folder or tough luck. Now it seems to work as intended and now I also understand what the little red x's are. At first I thought that meant there was some problem with the upload. Red x's are the kiss of death on most forums.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 29, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9258850

Jubilada, that first seagull image is amazing! That's absolutely wonderful. I love the old chain, the weathered wood and even the choppy water. The last one made me chuckle too...
Patti, the new uploader was messing up with me BIG TIME yesterday. I couldn't get the "Choose a File" button after the first image either. As a matter of fact, I'm looking down there now and it's missing again. I had to click on "Preview" and then come back several times to get it to work. Kinks to work out, DG Admin...
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9259722

Well, finished up my final assignment for that class ... whew!

Now I can get back to "post processing" my pictures! Wasn't allowed to do ANY during the class, not even "unsharp mask"!

A few that I shot of the Sea Scout Building (now the EcoCenter) out at the Duck Pond last evening ... they have been only minimally post processed (mainly cropping and straightening) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9260146

Oh, those strict "no processing" rules are going to be hard for me to take. I always shoot in Raw and almost always do at least minimal post processing including straightening horizons, small crops and the usual white balance, exposure, saturation, contrast tweaks finishing up with a little sharpening if needed. I will switch to Raw + jpeg and just ignore the Raw files until after the class. I think I have my camera always set on Faithful for the Picture Style. I guess I'll have to change that? That will likely be the first question I ask.

Your compositions with the walkways leading into the image are very nicely done. I will be glad when I take the class because then I will recognize WHY I like certain compositions. I think the appeal here is the dynamic quality of the vanishing point pulling the eye into the image. But I wonder what else you have done that I can't name, but like.

The light on the third image is so warm and lovely. That looooong shadow in the foreground reminds me of an image I want to take and just have never gotten around to. I would like to find a spot where there are several tall trees and a clearing. I want to go when there are nice, long shadows with the light behind the trees and the shadows extending into the clearing. One of these days...
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9260332

Patti, I just left my camera setting for jpegs on "standard."

You'll find out all about those leading lines and stuff like that in this class ... it's all part of the "gestalt" of photography ... very interesting. You'll knock 'em dead, I know!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

August 31, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9260342

Jubilada, I like #2 -- the leading lines are all over the place! I remember 7th Grade Art Class in Jr. High. That's when we were taught about the vanishing point by a very good teacher. We could draw just about anything as long as we started with that little dot. I fell in love with the vanishing point at that time and, though I don't think about it much now (per se), I am still drawn to its quiet presence in photos and vistas. That second image of yours is wonderful.

Patti, like you said, I wonder how many things I like but don't know why!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9261128

Well, we were in the wrong place at the wrong time for the moon tonight. I did get a few shots later in the evening, but nothing at twilight when I wanted to shoot it. I'll take a look at what I got tomorrow...too tired tonight. Most fun of the night was shooting cars and trucks zooming by on the freeway from above in a parking garage. We were panning with the cars on a fairly slow shutter speed so that the cars would be somewhat sharp and all of the background would be a blur. It took forever and many shots to get a good one - at least I hope I got a good one. They always look good on the back of the camera.

I did play around with this fun program that Gavin Hoey used for his latest contest: http://www.tagxedo.com/app.html

You need to have the free Silverlight plug-in for your browser installed for it to work. I have an older version, but it worked okay.

What it does is allow you to pick a shape (or provide your own), pick colors, a font and then click on Load and type in words. The default words are mother and earth, so you have to click on Load and put in your own words. Then it fills in the shape you pick with the words you choose. I just did a quick one using one of their shapes and saved it. Then I added a little bit to it and saved it. Too tired to do any more tonight, but I'll probably try to find some time to play with it tomorrow.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9261227

The latest edition of Denise Ippolito's mini e-magazine on creative photography is out and has some really cool articles. This one is something you Topazers already know about. I still need to get some of the Topaz programs. I've downloaded free copies and played with it, but just never took the plunge. Maybe one of these days...

http://deniseippolito.com/magazine/front-page/fall-colors-made-for-simplify/

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 1, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9261469

He-hee! That's fun indeed, Patti! Thanks for sharing. Jubilada will probably say it's a good way to fritter away more time -- and she'll be right. I'll be frittering with no shame!

I went to the main Library yesterday and got a few pictures. All were processed with Topaz Adjust.

1. Looking out the window
2. Leaning over the railing, looking down from the 4th floor...
3. Another 4th floor view
4. Front view
5. Came home to Hummingbirds

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9261524

Miss Mary, That is a beautiful library and you have done a wonderful job of showing off its architectural design. I especially was drawn to the compositions in #2 and #4 ( so perfectly centered.) I wonder if people with a fear of heights feel uncomfortable on the upper floors.Since I am somewhat claustrophobic, I think I would feel very secure in all the nice, bright, open space. Love that hummer!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 1, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9261666

Patti, I am one of those people with a fear of heights. I got that one shot and then paid for it! Dizzy, headache, weak...even my eyes began to bother me. Later last night, I was still having some difficulties! It was quite a while after they opened that library until I was able to ride the glass elevator up those 4 floors and it's still a nervous 30 seconds for me.

Amazingly, all the shots were without a tripod. I rested the camera against window glass, walls and rails. The shot of the building was the exception.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9261713

Miss Mary, those are some great architecture shots! Love the stairways!

I used to have a horrible fear of heights ... it's not so bad these days, and I wonder why ... does one grow out of that kind of thing? I mean, I was a basket case in some instances ... I remember trying to go up in the structure at the site of the Bastille in Paris ... it was completely enclosed, but I froze about halfway up and had to actually crawl back down. Everyone thought I was nuts. (Of course, maybe I am.)

Anyhow, Patti, you've done it again ... got me frittering away time with some new little thing ... here's my contribution for now ... I liked the cat shape, and so thought of the Carl Sandburg (?) poem ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9261723

Haha! Jubilada, I knew you would take that ball and run with it. I was hoping you would put your spin on it and you did not disappoint. Very cute and clever!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9261944

A few images from the Night Photography shoot last night ...

A couple of the panning shots. Second one is cropped just a tad. Both were processed in ACR with just the usual tweaks. I used Imagenomic's noise reduction program at a pretty strong setting since I was using my Canon 50D camera and it is a noise generating machine.

Last image is an attempt to shoot the moon with a nice landscape setting. We were waiting for the moon to come up just to the left of the tall brown building on the left. It finally did, but it was too late to get the shot during early twilight when the sky is light enough to get the moon exposed properly. Soooo, I grabbed one of my moons from the previous night (shot with a 400mm lens) and stuck it in this image and turned it a nice shade of blue. Background image is a three shot HDR processed in Photomatix.
Blue Moon Over Houston.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 1, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9261956

Jubilada, it's a horrible thing to freeze in fear, literally. I am glad you have gained some relief and hope I will one day, too. Some years ago, a few co-workers wanted to walk over to Mud Island (an attraction in the Mississippi River just outside downtown Memphis) and asked me to join them. The bridge that went over there was fairly wide and totally enclosed. Less that 1/3 of the way over, I froze. They eventually had to flank me and drag me back off of it.

On a lighter, note...you do have a flair for frittering! That made for one delightful little picture!

Patti, those traffic shots are quite powerful. I can almost "feel" the speed! BMOH is lovely!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9262611

Wow, Patti, that Blue Moon over Houston is Waaaay Cool! Nice job!

Here's a little thing I did with some pretty Amaryllis ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9262841

Oh, what fun! I can see critters, but I have to wait until I get home in a few days and can see it on a real monitor. Too tiny on this iPhone. Beautiful color!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 2, 2012
10:11 PM

Post #9262962

That sure is pretty, Jubilada, and it is so well-composed. I just love their color!

The original of this one had a very distant background and Topaz Adjust (one of the "I Feel Lucky" settings) cleared it out, leaving nothing but the foreground. I then applied a PicMonkey texture to it.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 3, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9264103

A couple of Hummingbird images from today -

1. He perched on a Pecan Tree twig above my head. Topaz Adjust
2. On the rosebush again. Topaz Adjust and PicMonkey

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9264424

What lovely hummer images, Miss Mary! How nice of them to pose so perfectly for you!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9264835

Now that I'm messing with photos again, here are a few ...

Señor Francisco, with his "don't I look mahvelous" face, topaz, blend layer
A shelf of fetishes high on the wall of a neighboring house, topaz, blend layer, frame
Gamble Garden Gazebo, "I Feel Lucky" Topaz Filter on a Blend Layer, framed

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 4, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9265346

Awwww, Francisco -- hey, with a look like that, he could be in GQ (or maybe CQ?)! It's nice to see Gamble Garden again. Wow, such a lush place! I like the treatment you chose.

Well, I went from:

1. This, to...
2. This, to...
3. This.

PSE, PSP and PicMonkey

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9266079

Very pretty butterfly wing kaleido, Miss Mary ... looks like a lovely artisan plate!

Here's a link I came across today ... formula for doing a watercolor in Photoshop ... Miss Mary, you might be able to simulate the same thing in Photoshop Elements ...

http://www.photoshoproadmap.com/Photoshop-blog/watercolor-photo-effect-photoshop/

Anyhow, I've spent (read "frittered") a little time on this cold, cloudy and gloomy day in Palo Alto playing with it ... to wit ...

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9266881

Miss Mary, Love all of the hummers! Outstanding images! The first Pic Monkey treatment has what I consider an Asian flair. Birdphotographers dot net has a large group of photographers on their Out of the Box forum similar to our little group. In addition to just posting whatever they happen to be working on, the forum has weekly themes that are fun to attempt. One of the themes that comes up about once a year is making a photograph into Asian art. I always enjoyed that theme because the images were usually very simple and some people create them so that they tell a story based on some Chinese proverb. One of the members of the forum, Dan Brown, wrote a little tutorial to help us understand how to use Calligraphy, how to put a "chop" on our photos and a bit about the art form he has been studying for around 10 years. The chop is representative of our signatures. It is unique to the artist and can be their initials or really anything that will identify the artist. They are made out of jade or other materials and carved so that they can be put in ink (usually scarlet red, but other colors have specific meanings) and then stamped on the finished painting.

This is one that I made, Learn From Wisdom.

It is a juvenile Royal Tern (right side) in a subservient position begging for food from an adult tern. The juvi had been picking up little sticks and rocks on the beach. This is what they do to practice gathering food, so it is learning, but still requires food from the parent.

The chop is simply my initials made into what is supposed to look like a stamped on signature.
The characters say: "When you meet someone wise, learn from them and be inspired to be as wise as they are."

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9266905

Jubilada, The Gamble Garden gazebo image topazed is lovely and the watercolor version is a fantastic composition with that burst of color in the left foreground. Señor F is adorable as always. I have to wonder what it looks like on the inside of the house with the fetishes - that little shelf is so decorative, I suspect a tour would be a treat.

I really liked your examples of the watercolor tutorial, so I gave it a shot with mixed results. Threw most away. Kept these two. I think this technique separates the artists from the hackers. You really have to know what you are doing with that brush and I obviously don't have a clue. I can't tell what the two brushes are doing and when and where to apply either one. I just smeared around with the first brush willy nilly and painted all over with the second brush trying to leave a bit of a white border around the edges. Not at all what the creator of this technique had in mind, I'm sure.

Miss Mary, Love the progression on the butterfly image. I love the finished kaleido, especially since I can tell from the markings that it came from a Gulf Frit.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2012 12:32 PM

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9267096

Patti, first of all ... thanks for the words on the Chinese character "chops" and that lovely picture and its "inspiring" sentiments. Very nice!

I think your watercolor attempts are great! Your brush strokes are certainly no more willy-nilly than my own ... I don't know diddly about watercolor painting! And, those are wonderful photographs to begin with!

The house with the fetish shelf ... well, that happens to be the only unique feature of that house. Otherwise the house is representative of a currently extremely common architectural style here in Palo Alto ... something I might call "Italian Villa" or "erzatz Spanish" ... made popular by one of our local developer/architects, Roger Kohler ... the house was built maybe 10 or 15 years ago.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9267331

Another tutorial I played around with today ... fairly realistic water ripples ... here's the link:

http://10steps.sg/tutorials/photoshop/a-realistic-water-reflections-photoshop-tutorial/

And here's one I came up with ... (the Sea Scouts Building out at the Duck Pond ... the pond actually being across the roadway, and not right next to the building!) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 6, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9267475

Goody! New things to try! Jubilada, your ripples do look nice, I must say.
Patti, I like your Asian picture and what a hefty piece of wisdom!

A couple of collages from me. First, Hummingbirds (of course). The second one is made of shots I got of the moon last night as clouds moved in. When I saw it out the window, I only had time to grab the camera and set it on "Night Landscape." I was surprised the shots turned out as well as they did, since I didn't use a tripod.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 6, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9267580

If I'm not mistaken, this is the last bud (an astonishing #456!) of the year on the Fireball Hibiscus. It should bloom out tomorrow. Sad to see it all end but it has been a most enjoyable Summer of color!

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9268919

Jubilada, Great job with that tutorial. The water ripples are very realistic. Love the pink and gray color combination in the image.

Mary, Cute hummers! And nice arrangement on the collage! I have been watching a hummer buzzing around my Ruellia flowers for the last few days, so, this morning, I put out a feeder. Hopefully I can keep it around and attract some more.

Those moon shots are quite dramatic. Nice job!

456! Wow. That is one prolific plant. And it has such a beautiful bloom. Lovely image.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9269952

Wheeee. Miss Lupita took the high honors on Joe's blog: http://joebaraban.com/blog/

Congrats again, Jubilada. Hey, is that your brug? The light in that image is gorgeous.

p
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9269991

OMG, that IS my brug! I did not even know he'd posted any of those class pictures yet, and I sure didn't know he was going to include those of mine! Wow, what a surprise! And you know what ... that one of Lupita is not the "unadulterated" one I initially posted as the class assignment, it's the one I posted later to show him how I cropped it and enhanced it in PhotoShop! Very interesting ...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 9, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9270000

Wow -- congrats, Jubilada! I'm so proud of you. You really did well and I'd guess his adding that "adulterated" photo of Lupita is a little wink at you.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
12:56 AM

Post #9270451

This class is eating my lunch. I got the Negative Space concept down...I think. I thought I knew what a Vanishing Point was, but now not so sure. I posted one, but I don't think it will pass muster. It doesn't actually fade into the horizon. It's a pier and the pier does start behind the camera, but it ends before the horizon. We'll see. Not being able to enhance the images in post processing is really a bummer. Film did a lot of the things he won't let us do - saturation (especially Velvia or Provia), tone, contrast ... And I almost always crop just a tad at least. I intentionally go wider than I want so I can crop to composition. Composing in the camera is the most difficult for me, but in the long run, it will probably be the most valuable lesson.

Anyway, I've been playing around some tonight... yawn.

1 Ruellia with Pixel Bender! I have missed this program since I hardly ever open CS5.
2 Crummy hummer - such a boring perch and a shadow that I can't seem to fix. Only posted this one so Miss Mary can see how much better her hummer shots are than what I'm getting. I'll have to try to spend some time out in the yard tomorrow morning and see if I can get a shot near the Ruellia. They feed on those flowers as well as the feeder.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 10, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9270679

Patti, I think that's a cool Hummer shot indeed! "Boring" to me is forty-leven shots of them sitting at the feeder. That's the only place I was able to catch them until this year. I'm not sure what that one is perched on but, to me, it is so interesting and the clear blue sky for a background is another plus in my book. I think it's really a good shot. What shadow were you trying to fix? I have been very pleased with PSE9's Enhance > Adjust Lighting > Shadows/Highlights feature. I usually select the area that needs highlighting and then go for it. I've had to fix a lot of Hummer faces that way, since they move so much.

I like seeing those Pixel Bender pieces. Isn't that Ruellia pretty!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9270710

Miss Mary, Thanks for the kind words on that hummer. I do like the things you mention, but that shadow (see image 1) really bothers me and all of the shadows in the dead* Loquat tree branch he is perched on bother me. I tried the shadow/highlight feature in Photoshop, but I couldn't really get it right.

My Loquat tree didn't survive the drought. Shame on me. I should have watered it more.

Oh, and I had to mention ... forty-leven is my absolutely favorite number. Everything is forty-leven. I didn't know it was universal. LOL :-)

Added a few dragon images I got yesterday while trying to get hummers on the Ruellia. These are done with the lame duck version of Oil Paint in CS6. I don't think I will get used to it. The one in CS5 is sooooo much better.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9270733

Very cool dragonfly images, Patti ... I especially like the first one! I never see dragonflies around here! The butterflies have been very scarce, too! Plenty of spiders, however ...

Speaking of loquats ... ours died this year (it was probably close to 50 years old) ... caught some kind of fungal disease from our neighbor's dying oak tree and just never made it through the winter ... very sad ...

I finally did kind of figure out what negative space is ... and it really wasn't what I thought at the beginning ... for instance, the negative space in Patti's hummer photo is that between the body of the hummer and the branch ... the rest of the blue sky is really just background ...
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012

Post #9270876

Remember a while back when we were doing these "flips"? Well, here's a "Frankie Flip."

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9271165

A few more flips ...

Tithonia (Mexican Sunflower)
Sunflower 1
Sunflower 2

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9271216

Hmmm. I thought I already replied to the first flip. I guess I forgot to hit Send. Wouldn't be the first time. Oh, well. Try again

First flip is a fantastic, furry, Frankie flower! Second flip is so cool. Doesn't look anything like a flower. Amazing to me what a difference a little flip can make. Cats turn into flowers and flowers become stained glass something or others. Last two are so pretty - especially the last one. It looks fluffy and soft and would look nice as a design on pillow cases ... well, except for that scary thing with horns in the corners. :-)

Here's Miss Mary's version of my Hummer. I think it is awesome! And I believe that what I thought was a shadow is just dark colored feathers. Thanks for shedding some light on that problem, Miss Mary. And thanks for the very cool processing. I might have to add a chop and some calligraphy ... Eeeek. It's almost 6pm and I have to go reshoot that blasted pier. I'm off ...

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9271253

Here's the photo and I'm out the door...

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9271367

I got some redo images, but I don't think I'll post them to the class. They look so much better when I tweak them in ACR. Besides, there was a power line that I should have noticed in the Vanishing Point image and didn't. I don't want to hear about the 15 points of light ... or whatever. :-) (Miss Mary, Joe preaches about checking all around 15 imaginary dots placed in a pattern throughout the viewfinder to make sure that there are no problems anywhere in the field of view. He calls it the 15 Point Protection Plan or 15PPP for short.)

I also cheated big time in processing the pier / tower image. Joe suggested having a person up in the tower defined by Negative Space and maybe another person down on the pier or a bicycle. My trike was way too big, so I got DH to pose for me in both places and then I sandwiched the two images together. Joe would have a cow. It does make for a better image to have the people in it though. I am most assuredly stretching my frame of mind with this class.

Unfortunately DH with fishing rod and reel is a bit blurry in this shot, but it was my favorite pose.

Even though the image with the pier and the tower doesn't qualify as a Vanishing Point, I think the other one does. I guess I won't know for sure unless I post it and take the heat over the power lines. Dang. Or... I could go shoot it yet again. Sigh.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9271458

Patti, I'm afraid you'll just have to put up with this ... the 15 PPP, the whole enchilada, up close and personal ... you've got no idea how much I agonized over this class! And I did plenty of re-dos, and there were plenty I did not post because I'd say, "oh, what the hell" ... but I persisted, and at least I've come away a little better for it (I hope). I don't think I'll ever get the 15 PPP down completely... I always overlook SOMEthing. Ugh.

Those are cool shots ... but number one won't qualify (I believe) as a vanishing point ... number two would (there's a horizon in it) ...

I really missed being able to tweak images in ACR ... even just a little (which is normally all that I do) ... Joe just makes you feel SO guilty ... in a nice way ...

But, you know, there are so many different schools of thought ... and this class is a tremendous exercise in one of them!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 10, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9271599

I like the pier shots, Patti. I'm eager to see what you submit and would be interested in knowing what kind of response you get.

Jubilada, I like your thinking -- there are so many different schools of thought ... and this class is a tremendous exercise in one of them! I need to embrace that attitude more in life.

I went to Audubon Park today to snap something besides Hummingbirds (not that I'm getting tired of them, mind you!). All were enhanced with Topaz Adjust.

1 & 2. Victim of a tremendous electrical storm here Friday night -- this was one huge tree! Although leafed out and pretty, I believe it was a widow-maker anyway, as it had an old hollow big enough to hide in.
3. Practicing for October

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #9271673

Miss Mary,

Seeing that tree down is really scary. Luckily when they fall, it is usually during a bad storm. But, every once in a while, I've heard them fall on our property when we are there and no storm in sight. I wonder how many critters did hide in that hollow over time.

It will be interesting to see that same view of the branches without the leaves.

Jubilada,

You are so right about the different schools of thought. In Joe's critique of my bird in flight, he just mentioned in passing that it wasn't really negative space, but rather background that was defining the bird. So, now I get the whole negative space thing. But, what he did spend time on was to talk about his version with the bird moved to the edge of the frame so that it is flying OUT of the frame. Joe says it creates tension. Oh, holy mackerel. I have been indoctrinated from day one that the bird (critter or any moving object) should NEVER be flying (walking, looking, running, driving, etc.) out of the frame. It has been beat into my little pea brain.

My frame of mind has been stretched to the limit on this one. I will give it a try, but it will take some doing.

1. My straight out of camera (SOOC) version of the bird in flight. (Jpeg with the picture style setting that does nothing.)
2. My ACR tweaked version of the bird in flight from RAW file. ( I shot everything in both RAW and Large Jpeg.)
3. Eeeeek. Joe's version of the bird in flight. Tension indeed.

What do you guys think of Joe's version? My tendency is to file it away for knowledge and never use it again. But I am really, really trying to learn something different. I just think if I do this, most photographers will just laugh at what they see as a stupid rookie mistake.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9271935

Okay, New frame of mind.

Joe posted some additional examples of "moving out of the frame." They are awesome and I will do this. Some I already do, for example, a duck swimming across the frame. I'll place the duck so that he's swimming out of the frame so I can include those wonderful Kelvin waves. That works for me. He had a couple examples of boats and that I get.

But I still don't get some of them. They look weird to me. I guess that's all part of the "tension" thing.

I am really enjoying this course. It is not a piece of cake for me, Jubilada. So far, I didn't have a clue about the concepts and suspect it will continue in that vein.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 11, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9271942

Patti, I'm with you on the bird placement -- and, by the way, what a beautiful bird shot! I don't sense any tension but it occurs to me that the two pictures tell two different stories. I guess it's all in how one's mind works? In the first shot, the bird seems to be headed somewhere. There is direction. There is purpose, even if I don't know what it is that is driving him...something outside the frame that doesn't necessarily concern me. Perhaps it even heightens the mystery for me. In the second shot, he's "leaving the scene," no drive, no purpose...just going. The story was told and maybe I missed it.

As I said, maybe it's just the way I'm wired but that's what the two pics (both wonderful!) seem to say to me.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9272117

Miss Mary, sad to see that lovely big tree snapped in two ... Your "Practicing for October" is a very nice shot!

Patti, as regards your bird picture (and it's a great shot!) ... Joe may have been playing a bit of "devil's advocate" there and just wants you to take a second look and have a second thought. Actually, his suggestion for that particular picture doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me in terms of creating tension ... maybe he's just creating tension in you! However, as you mention, he provided plenty of examples of that "looking/going OUT" of the frame as a creator of tension that were really effective.

And there are lots of ways to create "tension," and some of them are extremely subtle! (That comforts me some, LOL!)

I didn't always agree with everything he said, and several times remarked that certain things were "subjective." But, he's been doing this for over forty years (as he's quick to remind everyone), and he's developed methods that work for him, and I'm glad he's giving everyone the benefit of sharing them. I think his 15PPP is a wonderful tool for developing "mindfulness," something I really need to work on. And you'll eventually get his "Did it Do It" list, which is also invaluable for making your own assessments of your photographs. Yep, it is NOT an easy class.

Another thing (I think) is not to take everything Joe says too literally. Sometimes I think he just likes to hear himself talk! He's surely created an impressive body of work, he's almost fanatical in his approach and methods, and he seems to be indefatigable ... but, he's also a "commercial" photographer ... those photographs have to "bend" peoples' minds in favor of his clients ... that's not something I tend to think about when I "pull the trigger."

As far as your "untouched" JPEG and the ACR processed one, I think I'd like to see the result somewhere in between the two. The ACR version rather strikes me as perhaps a little unrealistic ...
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9272301

So I was practicing vanishing point, and tension and getting things straight (no easy task). At Joe's suggestion I actually bought a level cube for my camera's hot shoe, and, of all things, a hand-held spot light meter (which I bought second-hand on E-Bay) ... are these devices helping me, improving my photographs? Hmmm, the jury's not in yet. What do you think? See the vanishing point? Feel the tension?

Oh, I'm back to shooting in RAW and tweaking. And I'm not above a little straightening (the level didn't always get it straight). Whew! But, I kinda feel guilty about it!

1. Walkway, Palo Alto Community Theater (vanishing point; tension in texture, frame within a frame, converging lines, vertical lines)
2. Gazebo (vanishing point; tension in texture, patterns, frame within a frame)
3. Fence (vanishing point—obliquely; tension in texture and pattern). I really had to tweak this because of the dusty miller foliage (didn't want it to blow out completely)
4. Another Fence (vanishing point?)
5. I just thought this was a pretty picture with the dappled sun and shade. I got rid of a little Volkswagen somewhere (you'll never guess where).

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 11, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9272349

Can I just like them all without knowing why? ☺

I like the first one because of all those angles -- and they're perfect (to my eye)! The second one has the angles plus (butter on the biscuit) fun shadows! Love it! Now you've got me wondering...where was that VW? There is no sign of it, that's for sure!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9273029

Jubilada wrote:
...snip...

As far as your "untouched" JPEG and the ACR processed one, I think I'd like to see the result somewhere in between the two. The ACR version rather strikes me as perhaps a little unrealistic ...

Jubilada, Thanks much for this feedback! I really appreciate it and would like to know more. Can you tell what aspect made it unrealistic? i know that might be impossible since you don't know what I did, but I took a screenshot of the slider tweaks and posted below. I also did a redo and posted those slider tweaks. I think I might have made it too bright initially? Is the redo better? How would you tweak it?

Oh, The only other thing I did was run a noise reduction/sharpening on both of the processed images. I used the exact same settings on that for both. Maybe that is the step that is making it look unrealistic? That is a real possibility since oversharpening can look weird. What do you think?

1. ACR Settings for my first attempt to process the file.
2. Second attempt to process file
3. ACR Settings for the second attempt.
4. All three files side by side - might be easier to see when all are visible at the same time

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9273037

Jubilada,

I love all of the examples you have posted with the compositional elements defined! I can see that I have a long way to go and the more examples I can see, the faster it will all click.

I see the vanishing points, but I don't know about the tension. Most photos of beautiful aspects of nature make me relaxed and chilled out - just as if I was walking in them myself and enjoying the view. I'm not sure what the whole "tension" thing is about. Photos of war or ugly aspects of nature (trash in a park) make me tense, but not beauty.

As with Miss Mary, I love the angles in the first shot as well as the VP and the arches and the exposure ... and all of it! I also love those shadows in the second.

You know, I tried to find where a VW or even a part of a VW could have been in that last image and I don't have a clue. I looked at the shadows and the little spots here and there to see if I could find a cloning duplicate, but no traces. Good Work!! ...as always.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9273099

Patti, I definitely think your second attempt gets it! And the word I should have used instead of "realistic" is "natural." What I try to do when I process mine is to make the picture look as much like as what I saw, and I try to stay away from tweaks that are too "drastic." I do also stay away from extra sharpening, because I think it does make things look "weird." And yes, I think it was the extra "brightness" of the first one that set me off a bit ... because the JPEG is really quite muted (which is actually quite pleasant), and I'm supposing that's closer to how it actually was. Or?

The other thing I aim for in ACR processing is to make sure that both of my histogram triangles are black. Now, that's certainly a subjective thing, and not always possible ... but, food for thought?

I guess you haven't received Joe's treatise on "tension" yet. It is not, as one might initially think, something that makes for "tenseness." It is rather using elements which draw the viewer into the picture and capture them with visual interest: color, contrast, texture, patterns, etc. You'll see, he'll provide plenty of examples. I was really worried about being able to create "tension" in my assignments ... until I got a glimmer of what he means by "tension."

And finally, here's that last shot (completely RAW) showing the Volkswagen ... it was not that tricky of an edit.

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9273138

P_Edens wrote:Okay, New frame of mind.

... So far, I didn't have a clue about the concepts and suspect it will continue in that vein.

Patti, judging from your work, you have the "concepts" down just fine, you just don't have labels for them yet! Your photographs are always beautiful and wonderfully and thoughtfully composed!

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9273164

Aha, when you said, "little" VW, you meant it! And to think I was looking all over the place for those tell-tale traces. Fun stuff.

I do tend to put in a lot of contrast either with the contrast slider, a sharp S curve in the Curves tool or by pushing the whites and blacks out to just blown and blocked respectively. And that does remove some of the soft or muted quality. I think maybe the second image is more like it looked, but not really sure. Chris Hurtt really boosted contrast a lot - even more than I do. He never messed with the contrast slider, but did it by using the Levels tool and pulling the sliders in.

I also would prefer that there are no blown light pixels or blocked blacks (histogram triangles black in Photoshop). But, sometimes I just let them go if they are in the background when I'm more interested in the subject. In the case of the bird, I was more interested in getting a nice, sharp, properly exposed bird and I let too much of the background highlights blow out. I could probably use the Shadow Highlight tool to get that under control and raise the exposure back up on the bird... but, I'm done with it. I could tweak these things forever and not be satisfied. :-) LOL

Thanks so much for the great feedback. I love discussions like this. It always helps to take a second look.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9273527

Here's what I've been playing with today. I'm happy to be back to post processing pictures, cropping, straightening, fixing the light ... whew!

1. Two benches. That's all, a study in lines. Cropped, straightened, topazzed ...

2. Bike rack, and 2.a. Bike Rack Flip ...

3. St. Ann Chapel, original, and 3.a. Straightened and Cropped with the CS6 "perspective crop" tool, something I just discovered! Oh, topazzed, too!

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9273537

And, one more example of that "perspective crop" tool ... the original, and the cropped result (topazzed) ... interesting result, eh?

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9273662

Amaranth Flip ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 12, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9273670

Oh, wow, Jubilada, I'm glad you're back, too! Just look at all this fun stuff -- I love the lines and shadows. Fascinating! I really like the way the seat slats in the foreground bench show through the back slats!

The bike rack flip looks like some alien message left on ancient stones...eerie!

I like the results you got with the Perspective Crop Tool. Gee, how easy/difficult is it to work with?
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9274237

Miss Mary, that perspective crop tool is pretty easy, but can be tricky in terms of the results produced. Some things work well, others, not so ...

As one example, here's a before and an after of that Fetish Ledge ... with the perspective crop tool selected, I used the window as a guide (needs to be something rectangular), and wound up with something that was rather tall and distorted. I fixed it by using the scale tool and flattening it a bit. Then, of course, I embellished ...

More play ... a Dahlia Flip, and Rose and Bud ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 13, 2012
10:39 PM

Post #9274664

It sounds similar to something PSP has. I know I like it a lot better than what I have in PSE9. It's a little box and you drag the corners to capture something that should show up perfectly square in your photo. Like you said, though, it sure can be tricky! It (and your tweaks) really worked well on the Fetish ledge shot. Nice!

What a beautiful Dahlia Flip - I love the semi-transparent look! That was just the right touch.

I was in the yard today and the Hummingbirds were fighting over the feeders, as usual. They seemed to be taking their brawls upward a lot, so I just aimed high, zoomed out and starting taking pot shots. To my amazement, I caught them in one of the shots, only they were closer to the edge of some foliage in the distance and it was distracting. There was a pretty good bit of sky and it was quite even in light and color. There were some nice, fluffy clouds on the right, so I moved the birds over closer to the clouds. I only had to do a little bit of blending. First, the original shot and then two variations of the finished product...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 13, 2012
10:43 PM

Post #9274666

I know I'm usually a little slow on the uptake (so this may have been around for a while), but I just noticed the "Next Photo" selector on the top right of the pictures. Yippee!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9274724

Miss Mary, Thanks for pointing out the "Next Photo" link. Saves a lot of clicking and waiting. I love all of the hummer shots! The original puts everything into perspective, so I like it. The spot where you moved the silhouettes is perfect and both treatments work really well to portray the behavior.

Hummers will do this "steep climb and rapid plunge toward the ground" display for two reasons - defense of territory and males do it to impress a potential mate during courtship. I was out at the Smith Point Hawk Watch tower most of the day yesterday. The local birding organization staffs the tower this time of year with a "counter". The counter usually fills the hummingbird feeders on the tower and this guy did. It was incredible. There were at least 100 hummers and probably more. They were also displaying the climb and plunge display behavior. It was a sight to see. I got a few photos that I hope came out half-way decent.

It was very stormy, so strong winds and very little light most of the day. Amazing to see those little bitty birds braving the storm and feeding during the rain and wind. Tough little guys.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
4:04 AM

Post #9274727

Jubilada,

Fantastic images and great examples of the perspective crop tool. I need to check it out. The bench image is a lot more than just a study of lines. I'm in Lesson Two now and I can see Negative Space between the slats as well as both of the Lesson Two concepts - perspective and tension (putting subject near edge of frame thereby minimizing negative space. I think all of this adds to why it is such an interesting photo.

Love the bike rack image and flip! The flip reminds me of a totem pole. The rose and bud image is just beautiful. The would look so nice printed and hung on the wall.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9275243

Whew. I needed a break from that class. The videos are not working, so we are on hold until their IT guy fixes it. Sooooo, I get to play.

A few images from yesterday.

1. Composite of some birdies
2. Silliness at the Hummer feeder
3. Less silliness at the Hummer feeder
4. Sweet little hummer

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9275277

Some swell bird shots in that composite, Patti, and the Hummer Sillies are very cute! But, that Sweet Little Hummer, Wow, very nice! Great job with the DOF!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 14, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9275397

Oh, yeah, Patti...! That last shot is perfection. I love to see Hummers posed on or around something besides a backyard feeder and you really got a good pose on that rusty perch! I find myself drawn to contrasting elements anyway and you nailed that. Good bird composite, too. You got some really good shots. The Hummer silliness/non-silliness photos are cute -- Debbie and Gene indeed!!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2012
4:19 AM

Post #9275735

Thanks you two. I have one more play and then I have to get back to work. The IT problem with PPSOP is fixed and we are now on Lesson 2 - Perspective and Tension.

This is that hummer from a while back. Miss Mary did some magic to it and made it look a lot better. The work reminded me of Asian Art, so I took it a step farther by adding my "chop" and the Japanese Kanji proverb in calligraphic characters that represent Beauty of Nature, Ka-Chou-Fuu-Getsu. Strictly translated from top to bottom, the characters represent flower, bird, wind and moon. More info about Asian calligraphy and art here: http://www.orientaloutpost.com/

Thumbnail by P_Edens

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

September 15, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9275984

I haven't really checked out this new toy yet. If either of you two get a chance before I do, I'd be interested in hearing your opinions.

http://tiltshiftmaker.com/

Patti, that chop really completes the Hummer image, doesn't it? Something like that would be a nice addition to my two Asian-looking pieces. I'll have to look into your link. Well, you got a little break from your work in that class, maybe just enough to catch your breath and finish the race, huh?

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9275993

Miss Mary,

I checked out that link, but I didn't try it out. There is a new blur tool in Photoshop CS6 that will do something similar and I have an action that creates those "tilt-shift" (misnomer IMO) images too. I've done a few. I've seen some that are amazing. They really do make trains (or whatever is in focus) look like toys. Pretty strange how that works. Check out the images in this link. It is hard to believe that some of these are not really models.
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/11/16/beautiful-examples-of-tilt-shift-photography/

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9276037

That "tilt-shift" stuff is interesting, and there is a tool in CS6 that will approximate the effect. I've also seen, in passing, quite a few tutorials on the effect. I'm probably not going to attempt it, however. Too much other stuff crowding up my brain. But Patti, that "Tour Eiffel" image in the link you provided is REALLY cool!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9276498

Heading out in a few minutes to try to capture a Perspective image with at least some Tension and maybe some of the other elements I'm learning about. In the meantime, since I was up at 4am, I've been playing.

1 and 2 - I took a couple of shots of this Roseate Spoonbill very early in the morning a few days ago. I thought about throwing it away since there were so many negatives - too far away, ISO very high with underexposure (kiss of death for noise), horizon not level, horrible composition ... and the list goes on. But, it is such a beautiful bird and the colors of the early morning light reflecting in the water made me want to try to salvage something in it. I'll keep it. It doesn't have anywhere near enough pixels to ever print, but at least it has enough pixels for the web. First image is the process. Second is the finished image.

3 Miss Mary made me do it. PicMonkey :-) I forget about this fun little toy until Miss Mary reminds me. Yes, I went overboard. I like to jump in from time to time.

4 When I was at the park getting those images of the pier and tower, I climbed up in the tower and saw this balloon floating on the water. Since I didn't have a polarizing filter, the water had a lot of glare. I shot underexposed to minimize the glare and hoped that I could pull out the detail that my polarizing sunglasses allowed my eye to see. I also tweaked the white balance to get the water a bit blue instead of the white glare. After all that manipulation, I had to boost the color on the balloon to make it appear as I remember.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9276823

Patti, the finished image of the Rosy Spoonbill is very painterly ... impressionistic, in fact. Quite pretty.

I like that balloon one ... very interesting effect!

I've started a new thread ... since we're up to 200 already on this one!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1280422/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Photos Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the photo forum! dave 34 May 3, 2013 10:18 AM
My tractor and I, Part II dave 52 Sep 27, 2009 7:18 PM
Spring Spring! and my bowling ball! nicole_in_nc 6 Apr 21, 2010 3:35 PM
Riesentraube tomatoes dave 4 Feb 9, 2008 3:25 AM
It's a Bird...It's a Plane....It's Superdave! gardenwife 27 Nov 18, 2007 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America