Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Clematis: Long hot summer clematis chat

Communities > Forums > Clematis
bookmark
Forum: ClematisReplies: 133, Views: 1,118
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9222369

We were here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1265378/

The last few days have been much cooler but anything is better than the high 90's. We've also had a nice share of rain. So much of the country needs rain so much.

This was an excellent surprise to mark today! My gift clematis, from a sweet friend, bloomed!

This message was edited Jul 29, 2012 12:19 PM

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9222375

Here's a better close-up of the new clematis. I love the combination of purple and violet.

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 29, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9222615

Pretty! My 5 year old granddaughter, Anni, was sitting by the front steps today putting on her sandals & became excited when she saw the sepals left from Silver Moon...glad she was interested...
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9222723

Gorgeous color on that clem, Arlene - what kind of clematis is it? I love the depth of colors.

Robin - one never knows about children and plants. My grandmother showed me where the seeds in a marigold where located when I was about 8 years old. That was all it took - I was so fascinated and forevermore a gardener.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 29, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9222828

My 7 year old granddaughter has been fascinated by plants since age 2, but Anni never cared...happy to have both on board...now if I can only impress their 4 year old brother...My son always was interested in gardening, & he became a landscape architect, so maybe the seed has been planted...no pun intended!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9222886

Marilyn - it's always encouraging to have the young ones interested in plants. I hope Anni takes to art as well. When you least expect it your grandson may surprise you with his love of a specific flower or tree.

I really don't know, Carolyn, but I do love it.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 30, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9223353

You are so right, Pirl...kids are surprising...my earliest memories are of being with my Grandma in her gardens...she had many iris, and they are one of my favorites as well...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9223380

In my family I was the one who loved flowers from a very early age. Nothing has changed!

Here's my photo of my fourth birthday. My mom always gave me a bouquet of flowers and I always loved them.

Thumbnail by pirl

timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

July 30, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9223438

That is a touching picture. I also was the one in the family who always loved flowers.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9223444

Thanks, John. One of my older sisters loved butter...still does...it shows!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9223609

I take after my father, who always had flowers in between the vegt. We had the white lillies in the front yard, and some annuals. Had that beutiful pink climbing rose, I still have not found out the name, more like the Climbing Eden. He alwas said ,do not build tall fences, let your neighbors enjoy your garden. That why is my pickent fence only 3 1/2 feet tall, so everybody can enjoy it. He also know how to graft trees and roses, and practiced organic gardening. Used a tea made of stinging nettle to sprinkle fowers to reppel bugs. He is still watching over me, because I feel his presence in the Garden. Mom and dad and the fourth baby on the way. I am the 4 years old. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9224048

Love the pictures.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 30, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9224057

What pretty girls you both were!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9224149

Such a lovely photo. I doubt if I have any of the entire family when we kids were young. Let that be a lesson for all - take lots of photos.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9224198

This was in 1954, they did't take as many pictures then, this is one of the few pictures of mom, she died in 1963. Dad rased 4 kids on home grown fruit and vegt. and we had a memory of how a organized garden looks like. Dad used to plant in 4 x 8 feet raised beds, so you did't have to step in , could reach the weeds from outside. Always planted 2 vegt. in one bed, knew the timing of each vegt. Planted lettuce with white onions, so by the time the lettuce was done, the onions where comming up. We had seasons, first thing in Spring where spinich, after eating all Winter beans, potatoes and sourekrout, it was a treat to have something green. How come I remember all that 50 years ago, but loose my coffee cup in the morning? Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9224281

Ha! That's a good one, Etelka.

I'm just so glad you have the photo. I realize they didn't take many photos long ago but you do have a treasure there. Your memories are another treasure.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9229033

New discovery yesterday, Rebecca made her appearance , also Daniel D. has a new bloom. Last night we had a very good rainshower, hope everything will wake up from all that heat. Hopefully we will get more today. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta
Click an image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9229070

You're really doing a great job with the clematises, Etelka. Rebecca and Daniel D. both look so terrific.

The heat has been horrible this summer so I go out early and come in before I melt in the garden. Then I go out again after dinner. So far I'm actually ahead of previous years.

I'm sure most of us will welcome any rain we get. Last week we had three days with rain to enjoy. Hydrangeas still cooked and browned unless they were in mostly shade. Even the roses are looking good and that's rare for me. The caladiums are loving the heat.

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

August 4, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9229152

Rebecca is a gorgeous color! Pirl, lovely display for the caladiums...I just have one stuck in a perennial bed...not very inspiring!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9229178

Thanks, Marilyn. I'll have all winter to work on a better choice for the small clam basket next to the driftwood. Right now just the thought of winter is so appealing.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

August 4, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9229285

Had to turn on the air today...just too hard to breathe!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9229287

I was only out for 90 minutes but came in (to the AC) drenching wet. It's way too humid.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

August 4, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9229398

Over 90 here with killer humidity...
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

August 4, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9229513

Same here. High humidity , high temperature and...lots and lots of moaquitos
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9229596

The weather is actually cooler here today, in the low 80's and rainy, which I'm thankful for.

I came across this website as I was looking for names for some clematis blooms, the pictures are just gorgeous.

http://www.clematis.be/frgrootbloemigeab.html
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9229631

Gee, I wonder why I found Ice Blue, Ice Crystal, Ice Maiden and Snow Queen so appealing today! LOL

They are beautiful photos, Annette - thank you for a very relaxing start to cocktail time. I viewed every one on that site.

Have any of you ever noticed that, when looking at clematises, there's seldom one any of us would refuse to accept?

I really liked many of the pink and white combinations!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9229666

Gorgeous photos on that website - thank you Annette. I put that one into my favorites!

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9229778

You're both welcome. I added it to my favorites as well for those long winter days when I want to drool over beautiful clematis pictures, LOL.

I wanted to share that I was doing some garden clean up this evening after the rain, and I noticed that my Patricia Ann Fretwell is making a come back, and has grown a few inches this week. I'll have to post a picture tomorrow.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 4, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9229896

pirl: "Might" your new clematis be Marie Louise Jensen ???
It looks like mine.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9230045

A friend raised this one from seed so I doubt it's MLJ but thanks for posting. Now it has more blooms so I'll take more photos. The blossoms aren't large - maybe 3".
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 5, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9230084

Hi, My wife and I took a bus trip down to Brooklyn Botanical Garden. It was our first time, it was hot!!but most of all it was wonderful ! what tremendous quality and everywhere ! The Monet Exhibits in the garden and especially in the conservatory was just, oh my ! I could not begin to describe the gardens! If you haven't been there please try to go. 1st pic. c. Intergrefolia 'Silver Star' 2ond and 3 rd pic after years of thinking about it, I grew some of my B&L Tuberous Begonias in a bed they have done very well and are a bit easier to care for than the BIG pots I have used for years. 4th pic is my most best l.' Casa Blanca' . All these and our whole property came though undamaged with an F1 Tornado touch down within 1/4 mile. Thanks be to God. Elmira was declared a disaster but the damage was scattered so it did not get Fed. funding, poor Elmira is so down at the heels nowadays. Carolyn, did you have any damage? I hope not. Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 5, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9230097

Lee

Stay safe - there is more on the way. We are supposed to have severe storms today too. I was going to go to church this morning, but the weather has me scared any more. Truthfully I hope the weather people are wrong again as they so frequently are anymore.

We sustained some damage, but not bad. I could have been my house, cars or koi pond. Instead one of the sections of fencing at the back of the property had a huge limb from the neighbors tree go through it. What is really odd about this storm and the one we had a year ago May - I had 2 small pots, maybe 4" in diameter on my bistro table on my back porch. With all the wind, those 2 little pots never moved and the limbs and trees that had come down - I just thought it was odd. Same thing happened in the tornado last year - I had an empty pot on the picnic table on the back deck and it never moved, but brought down huge trees.

I am to a point where I see my animals head for the cellar, we are not too far behind them.

Thank you for asking.

Alene - I have to believe the severe weather is on your way. I saw a huge swath on the weather map from Alabama to the mid to upper part of New York State - stay safe.

Thank you for asking Lee. Glad you saw the botanical gardens - sounds like something I should look into.

Carolyn

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9230104

Lee, I'm glad to hear that you and your family are safe, and that your garden made it through the storm. I hope there were no injuries in Elmira.

Silver Star is gorgeous, and your blooms are beautiful. I tried growing the B&L begonias last year, but didn't have much success. The plants would break at the base when they got top heavy. I still have the tubers, and I wonder if I should try them in the ground next year? I love the colors an the size of their begonia blooms.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9230106

Oops Carolyn, we crossed posts, I pray that everyone in the NE please stay safe today from these storms. Annette

This message was edited Aug 5, 2012 2:55 PM

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

August 5, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9230452

Thanks...the storms here have increased in intensity over the last few years...had many trees brought down last year...so far, nothing this year, but tremendous hail damage just one town away on July 1st...Thanks for the wonderful photos of the clems...nice to dream!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9231340

Bloom of the day today: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1274167/ by our own minnesippi!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

August 6, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9231577

Nice!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9232242

Very nice. Love the color!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 6, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9232423

Arlene, thanks for the link to the bloom of the day. Just gorgeous minnesippi!!!!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9235303

This morning I have seen my first Humming bird on the Black and blue Salvia and my new bloom on the Sizaja Ptitsa Clematis. It is up to 5 feet tall and just blooming on at the time. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9235333

So far I've seen two hummingbirds - one at a fuchsia and one on a Wendy's Wish salvia. They move so fast!

Your clematis looks great and to have bountiful blooms is pure delight. You're obviously doing everything right.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

August 9, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9235426

No clems blooming here...do have a lot of unusual salvia, & that's where I've seen hummers this summer...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9235588

It would be grand to have 70 degree temperatures and the energy of a hummingbird for just one day a week!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

August 9, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9236037

Yes, fantastic!
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9236562

Here is a Pic. is my 2nd. year c. Vitacella Vilocea(sp?) It went completely dormant late this June but, here it is again blooming pretty well on two shoots. I have never seen any other group of plants that return after being judged seriously dead ! I have even had two occasions of then coming up the second year after dying back ! I see quite a few posts in this group that allude to these peculiar behaviors of rebirth! I am always telling people to leave them alone if they seem to have died and I have more than a few brought to me that seemed to be well and I could usualy point out new growth alas, very few gardeners replanted them!!
Cem 9165- You may as well replant your B&L Begonia tubers. I have to start mine inside because we are not frost free till June 1st! You probably need to spray them with water to keep the plump. Best of luck! Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9236579

I have three of the VV clematis, still young plants, can't hardly wait till they bloom for the first time. One is in a large pot, the other two are with Ice Blue clematis, I am keeping eye on them, all the large grasshoppers like to nibble on them.
My Daniel D. has 5 buds on it meybe in a week it will be nice .Hanryi is just sitting there, but it is still green, so I am hopping it is just waiting for the right time to sprout. John Warren have been chewed up bad, but still holding on. We had a few good rains, maybe that will help to get all of them bloom before frost. Etelka

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

August 10, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9236692

Nice to see such pretty clems blooming now in the heat of the summer...
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9237313

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the begonia tubers Lee. I'll see if they're still viable, I want to put them in the bed with Josephine, where they would be shaded for a good part of the day. But this won't happen until next spring.

You have such beautiful blooms on you VV, I'm glad it came back for you. Annette
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9237625

Have you ever bought a clem planted it and it took so long to do anything that you forget what it is and then go and buy more just to have the first one finally bloom and find out it is the same one you just bought. I did. The first one is finally blooming after 3 years and I see that it is the same as the new one. Oh well...lol
It is the Multi Blue and what a pretty flower.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

August 11, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9237674

I agree...it's a beauty...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9237720

It is lovely and having two is twice as good.

Generally I take a photo of the label, with the name, as I plant a clem and then other photos to identify location. I missed one last year and still can't find it. Someday it will bloom and I'll know it's my missing clem - Broughton Star (the second one).
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9238119

We had 4" of rain again, bad storm, my yard is all slushy. Would all this water damage the clematis, or they will be ok?
since I could't go outside, I have worked on my African Violet shelv, other then the wireing, it looks good. I bought 5 small pots the other day, had some nion lightfixtures after a long debate, I used some industrial stengt Welcro to attach the light on the shelving without drilling holes on it. I hope it will stay. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

August 11, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9238247

Pirl, how close were you to the tornado?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9238320

Etelka - as long as you have good drainage the rain shouldn't bother the clematis. It's prolonged soggy soil that can hurt them, not a downpour. Your lighting for the African Violets looks good!

Marilyn - it was 53 miles west of us and on the south shore compared to our being on the north shore. We had some wind and some rain but no trees down, no damage anywhere around us. Thanks for asking.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

August 12, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9238867

Good news!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9238938

Yes, indeed.

Years ago this pink clematis popped up at the left side of the tree, now a stump thanks to hurricane Irene last August. In May Jackmanii grows and blooms very well on the stump but now, with full sun, the pink one is really quite nice. The color isn't as pink as it previously was, more to the lavender side, but any August clematis is welcome here.

Thumbnail by pirl

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9238988

My Gypsi Queen took of an the Ladybanks rose and the Confederate rose, will have a bloom in few days. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9238990

Hurray! It should be gorgeous.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9244396

My Daniel Deronda is a winner in my garden, it is just climbing and puting out blooms. I have planted it late, so it is a nice present every time it's blooming. In the back on left is Sunset, she has been a nice clem too.Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9244429

It's a beauty and so is Sunset. I love when they keep going and going like the Energizer Bunny.

Our Dr. Ruppel has never given me such a constant supply of blooms as it has this year. Just spotted more buds this morning.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

August 17, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9244439

I found a bud on Silver Moon...that's it...
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9244486

I still have a few putting a bud here and there. Yes it is nice to still seeing them supply me with blooms.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9251048

We in the northeast are heading back to higher temperatures so our respite from the awful heat is over for awhile. It got hot yesterday but I had read an article about the importance of focusing and completing tasks to bring happiness. They also stressed finishing up things we've started. So I took a break, focused on the freezer and finished up the various ice creams there. They were right! I felt much better!

Some good/great news - all the clem's I cut back while pulling them from the scrollwork have rebounded with nice, bright green, shiny leaves. It was 23 days from cutting back to the point you see in photo #1. I did give it, and the rose it grows on - Graham Thomas, rose food and SuperThrive, which I also have come to love.

For anyone who has a deer problem, I tried a new product and love the results as well as the spray. The manufacturer is "imustgarden" and it's simply called "Deer Repellent". If anyone has had difficulty with those big, heavy sprayers, I heartily recommend their own sprayer, pictured below. The second photo is the one I tried first and it works well but then I bought the concentrate, much more economical. Their sprayer cost me $24.99 but it contains a full jug of spray - ready to use. I absolutely love this stuff. The deer spent the last two months feasting on the amaranthus (photo #4) Jack grew from seed but, with constant spraying, they've now left it alone and there is all new growth. The deer have not touched any of the hosta since I've used it nor have they touched the new growth (their favorite part) of any clematis.

The fourth photo shows how the deer munched on the amaranthus - no chance of self-seeding there! Now it's growing back SO fast.

I really feel it's ONLY the new growth they want so for daylilies that send up new buds at an amazing rate (as well as lilies and daylilies next spring), a light but thorough spraying might be needed weekly. It's worth it! The concentrate was $32.99 for 32 oz. You can order directly from them or try to find it locally. http://www.imustgarden.com/index.php?p=product&id=4&parent=8

Just to be clear, I am not affiliated with this company at all. DG Admin Melody knows how much I love this product and this is not an ad, just my own endorsement. I'll check prices when we go to Lowe's today (the excitement just never ends).

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

August 23, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9251056

That's great news, Pirl...I don't have a deer problem, but if I ever do, I wrote down all the info...thanks!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9251324

It's a blessing. It wasn't available at our Lowes.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2012 2:52 PM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9252265

Big sale at Garden Crossings:
http://www.gardencrossings.com/plantname/Clematis-Vino

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

August 24, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9252324

Cannot look!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9252365

Some are just $9.95.

No clem's at any price at our Lowes yesterday.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9252588

I cannot look either. I have several in pots that I am wondering where I am going to put them. I plan on heeling them in for the winter...

I need more land...
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9255160

Beutiful day here in Augusta, I have cheked out my clematis, Ruutel is blooming but some leaves are dead. HFYoung is still blooming, has some buds on it, Daniel kept his bloomes for a week now and nas new buds on it. The big news is that my roses are blooming, the Autumn Sunsett which I have two of, put out three bloomes and it smells heavenly. Hope next year will get stronger and bloom some more. I am putting firtilizer on dahlias today, and also that dreaded grass cutting. It looks very lush and green this year, noting better then a few days of good rain. They say we will get some rain from the huricane, that is good longest it doe's not come our way. God help the people in La, and Alabama, and Ms. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9255163

I forgot ,the Venose Violacea, one out of the three is 6 feet tall, but no buds. should I put some Epsom salt around it, or is it too late. ??? Thanks.Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9255247

Since you'll be using a Bloom Buster for your dahlias just use a good drink of it for Venosa. The purpose of Epsom Salt is for more stems though I do use it all year long. Since you want the blooms, as I do with my Venosa, the Bloom Buster product might be a good answer. I'll try it on mine today.

Hurricane Isaac is due to hit New Orleans on the 7th anniversary of hurricane Katrina. Let's hope it dissipates and doesn't hurt anyone or destroy any property.

Autumn Sunset looks grand. I'd love to smell it.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9255409

The roses are not much to look at, but they smell good, hope next year when it will be in full bloom, will look better. Thank you for your advice, I will do the VV in the morning, I just finished the grass cutting, and I think I should of done it earlier, it got hot. I have the whole afternoon to cool of, so it will be ok.
I hope the people are more prepared than last time in NO, my son lived in Mobile, and the Coast Guard from his station went down to rescue people of the roofs. He did't have to go, he repaired the helicopters, but the guys came back with some terrible stories. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9255474

The roses will do much better for you next year, Etelka. They were just planted earlier this year, weren't they? Maybe it was last fall. The heat and humidity are frying my brain cells.

I spent much of this morning at the shady side of the shed planting excess astilbe. I had cleared that whole area earlier in the spring so now it will be a minor shade garden for me.

So many people just won't listen, won't leave their homes when they're told to and stay behind only to depend on others to save their lives. I'd rather be away from my home than on the rooftop crying for help.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9261909

Starting to flower today - Star of India. One of my new babies.

Gorgeous day for the first day of September.

My daughter was in New Orleans the week before last. Every time I see the weather with the things that have been going on down there, I am so glad she is back safely in Boston.

Happy Labor Day weekend - can't believe we are through the summer and into Labor Day, can you?

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9261940

New Orleans is one of our favorite cities to visit but never in summer or hurricane season!

I'm thrilled summer is coming to a close. It's been too hot for too long and I welcome the cooler temperatures for getting jobs done.

Your Star of India is lovely, Carolyn. How long have you had it?

Dr. Ruppel takes the cake for performance this year. It is now in its sixth bloom cycle. Clearly it loves the extra space and the sunshine, along with more food. Here is a photo taken 7/24. I love the look of it. Photo #2 shows it on 8/17 when the color was totally different. I can only guess the heat affected it. Photo #3 was taken this morning.

The Jackmanii at the compost bin always grows much too large so today I cut back about 12' of it - shown in photo #4. It's still tall and still in bloom but I expect the cooler weather will bring many more blooms.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

September 2, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9262629

Pretty clems...one bloom of Silver Moon here...that's it...
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9266704

I have not looked at my garden for 3 days, we had rain all 3 days, OMG, my garden is a jungle. Everything is so nice and green, the coleus is 4' tall, clem Rootel is blooming, one bloom on Rebecca but the most producive Sunset kind of dried out, most of the leaves are dry should cut them back and hope they will get going again or this is it for the year? Back working in the kitchen, so I will have to curb my time in the garden, but nice cool days are here and it will be nicer to work outside. It was nice to see people showing up for dinner about 90,teling me they missed me, sure,maybe my cooking. The office just informed me that I made 20 years in the "coal mine" I enjoyed every minute of it. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9266717

I'd cut the Sunset back and let it rest. I cut back quite a few and the new growth will provide flowers for next year.

I'm welcoming the cooler weather, too. It's so refreshing!

I'm sure the people who showed up for dinner really did miss you...and your cooking. So you've been cooking there for 20 years? The fact that you enjoyed every minute of it is just wonderful.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9266749

I was hired first as the cook's helper, then when the cook retired, she was there for 40 years, I took both position with both pay, so I became the queen of the kitchen. It is a very nice job, I decide on the menue, and seams to work for the people. I can intraduce new foods, and they would tell me if they liked it or not.. I am very bessed that from my two hobbies I have such of enjoyment. The pay is not bad eather.Plus that I am off for 3 months in the Summer is even better.
Pirl, thank you for the advice, this weekend I will dedicate my whole Saturday to the clems and my roses need to be looked after. Will take some cuttings from the coleus and get them in less wild looking stage. Etelka

Thursday is the clean up day, but least I know it is done right.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9266784

There is tremendous satisfaction in doing a job the right way.

Once, when a former boss quit, I offered to do his job and my own to the other owners but for a price. They agreed and we were all happy. So, it can work out well as it did for you and for me. I did NOT get three months off in the summer!

The nice, shiny, new growth on the clematises will brighten your spirits. I never expected them to climb so fast after being cut back. You might want to add more manure and some mulch on top of it. Manure is very slow release and won't hurt your clematises at all. The deodorized manure is the most pleasant to use. I only use the Espoma brand because that's all Jack could find when I needed some so he bought three bags. It's not only deodorized but dried so it's light in weight. That becomes more important as we get older and tire more easily.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

September 6, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9266824

Didn't realize I should be cutting back the dead vines...will do so today...thanks, Pirl...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9266840

It's not mandatory, Marilyn, but they end up looking better and new growth comes fast. Don't compost any blackened leaves.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

September 6, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9266841

Oh, thanks...I would have!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9269243

Hello everyone, I haven't posted in a while so here goes. I finally had my spinal fusion on August 13, and spent 5 days in the hospital after. It's been an interesting recovery, the second week is a blur as I recovered from the anesthesia, it give me nightmares, and the haze that I was in from the pain medication, I was more alert last week, and got about more easily, and spent more time upright. This week I continue to improve, and have been spending sometime walking around the garden to check out the happenings. I'm starting to feel like my "old " self again.

I have some limitations and have been restricted from bending, twisting, lifting, and sqatting, my BLTS don't do list. Of course this make me crazy, LOL,as I need all these moves to work in the garden.

I've found that Durandii is stll putting out blooms, I took some pictures today, and Patricia Ann Fretwell that was whacked to a nub at the end of July has happily grown back, and is blooming a month and a half later. I didn't get a chance to cut back the other clematis, as I wanted to before surgery, however my viticella like NOID also has continued to bloom thoughout the summer. DOA, and Mrs. Cholmondeley are also blooming intermittently.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9269323

Here's a picture on Patricia Ann Fretwell on 7/29/12, last week,and today. It blows me away how quickly these clematis recover. Annette

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

September 9, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9269742

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery...very frustrating not to be able to get into the garden...when I broke my hip...end of July instead of snowy January, I could only watch the weeds take over all my gardens...
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9269961

Robin

there is nothing more frustrating than that is there?

Annette -you sound like your recovery from surgery has been good. I am glad.

Lee - I was thinking about you the other day - have you checked out Farmer Brown on Rt 17(I86) going to Binghamton? They had a number of clematis varieties that I had not seen before. I think they were about $18/each for a gallon sized plant, but you could also get 2 for $33, which is what I did. I picked up Star of India, and Tracey Lee. Star is flowering now. I have not seen Tracey Lee flower yet - I am looking forward to TL flowering next year.

I still have my old faithful Roguuchi flowering... Love this plant.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22   Thumbnail by Carolyn22         

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

September 9, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9270128

That's a very pretty clem, Caroline...can't wait to see Tracy Lee!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9270154

Robin

I am looking forward to seeing Tracey Lee as well. ^_^
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2012
3:44 AM

Post #9270476

Thanks for you comments above Robin and Carolyn. I continue to improve weekly.

Carolyn. you are fortunate to have someone so close to you selling 1 gallon clematis. The big box stores here occasionally will carry 1 gallon plants, however they don't have much variety. I saw bettter choices in small packages at Walmart earlier this spring, but didn't pick any up, and unfortunately when I went back, they were all sold out. Annette
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9270595

Glad to hear you are on the mend.I know how frustrating that is. Just look at the plants that make you happy and not at those weeds!
I am also amazed how fast some of these clems grow in just a month or two.. I cut back most of my type 3 at the beginning of July and now Jackmanii and Margaret Hunt are blooming nicely. It is almost like they do better with an (intentional or not) cut.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9276102

Annette - hope you are feeling much better. Sorry for being so tardy but we were on Cape Cod for a week and really enjoying wearing a jacket every morning and night. What a delightful change. When can you go back to gardening or are you just going to allow yourself to heal first, garden later?

Anna - I agree about cutting them back. They do seem to enjoy it and still have enough time to put on a lot more growth that will bloom next spring. The fresh new leaves are so shiny and green and I'm already getting new blooms.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

September 15, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9276106

See any of the great whites, Pirl? Twenty feet sharks are beyond scary!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9276108

Never even got my toes wet but there were plenty of people looking for them at the National Seashore in Eastham.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9276307

Arlene, I'm continuing to feel much better each week. I plan on getting back in the garden before the fall is over. No heavy work, just garden clean up and planting a few bulbs maybe in late November or early December, and if not, the DH will have to get his hands dirty ;-)

I'm glad you got some vacation time in Cape Cod, and I hope that you and your DH had a great time. Welcome home. Annette
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9276464

Problems with the back are serious and affect the entire body as well as the mind. I've had my share but never got to the point of needing spinal fusion, just Degenerative Disc Disease that doesn't bother me unless I'm dealing with heavy items or big time digging.

We did have a great time and Smitty got his share of time sitting in Jack's lap - his favorite spot. He also had some vanilla yogurt (low sugar, 95% fat free) that he loved. In the second photo he's holding his head back so the ice cream won't spill out.

I had some great lobster rolls at my favorite spot, too!

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl      

bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9276613

That dog is adorable! I love Cape Cod. We used to go there when we lived in Montreal.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9276636

We also love Canada but they won't let us visit with Smitty!

Thanks, Anna, he is a cutie. I've been going to Cape Cod since I was Sweet Sixteen and that was back in the 50's. It remains as unspoiled as I always remembered it but we do stay on the Outer Cape (Eastham up to P'town) so I can't vouch for all areas on Cape Cod.

This photo makes me laugh. It looks like I have a shock of ultra blonde hair that matches Smitty's shock of white.

Thumbnail by pirl

bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9276751

We used to stay in Truro. Hopefully it is still unspoiled.
HaHa! I guess dogs and their owners do start to look alike. Cute!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9276764

Truro seems untouched by time. One of our DG people, Happy from Florida, used to spend summers there as her parents were in charge of renting out cottages to the summer people. She was delighted, amazed and so pleased that I found them (hard to miss them!) and took photos for her back in September 2010.

As you can see from the last photo, looking across the street from the cabins, not much has changed. Home prices go into the millions in Chatham!

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl      

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

September 16, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9276877

Pirl, Smitty is the cutest fellow...you are so lucky to have him! Always loved Chatham...worked in Wellfleet one summer when I was in college...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9277102

He is such a ham! Either he'll pose for me or turn his back as I snap to take his photo. Here he is ready to take on the dog in another cabin, a Newfie of all breeds! It weighs in at 150 pounds! We did not allow them to meet but I'm sure "Bear", as we called him, was friendly. He didn't fight with any of the smaller dogs and they were all smaller!

We stay in Eastham but spend most of our time, especially food time, in Wellfleet. We love the area up by Mac's Seafood Shack, The Bookstore (a restaurant/bar/bookstore in back), and just walking around up there. The Lighthouse is a long standing restaurant in Wellfleet and has excellent blueberry pancakes. http://www.mainstreetlighthouse.com/

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl         

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9277467

Newf's are nice dogs. They just don't live very long. The larger the dog, the shorter. The lifespan. Conversley the smaller the dog, usually the longer their lifespan.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

September 17, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9277536

My DIL's aunt has 2 newfs left...her beloved Molly passed on...at one time she owned a black one, a Landseer, & a bronze...all good-natured...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9277564

True. Most of our dogs, from Collies to Lhasa Apsos made to 14.

The cabins at Gibson's, in Eastham, allow and encourage people to bring their dog so there are always several breeds. One Alaskan Husky was so beautiful. He/she wouldn't sit still for a photo.

The owner, Mark Gibson, is pictured here with his young boys and their dog, Cedar, making friends with Smitty. There's lots of room for people and pets to enjoy.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl         

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

September 17, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9277859

Sounds ideal!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 17, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9277861

The second picture is my perfect place for vacation. Has shade, some sand and the cabin is close enough to rest up. I always dreamed about going to St. Johns Island in Newfoundland, It looks so old and nice old town, I read some place you can take a ferry from New Brunswick to St. John.I am glad you are back, how did your garden survive? Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9278258

There are only 8 cabins and the main house where the owner lives, Etelka. I'm not sure of the acreage but nothing is crowded in at all. There's a lot of space for kids and pets to enjoy.

We've been all through Quebec several times and New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Gaspe as well as the west coast of Canada. There are old cities all over and we find Quebec the most charming.

The garden did very well. We had a local teenage girl watering the plants I normally water daily and she did an excellent job.

Thumbnail by pirl

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2012
1:33 AM

Post #9278522

Gorgeous Arlene. I do so love the water.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9278590

We do, too. I guess the drought had a big effect on the lake since there's more beach than there ever was. The lack of traffic, the silence (except for birds), the shade patterns of the trees, the fun of watching the ducks in the water as they chase each other, all contribute to the joy of Gibson's Cottages.

1. The view from the screened porch of our cabin.
2. The beach.
3. Just before sunset with the sun on the screen at the left.
4. Our cabin - 3 bedrooms, huge kitchen, nice living room, one bath.
5. Just after sunset.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

September 18, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9278673

Just gorgeous! Many folks don't know about the 'quiet' corners of the Cape...only hassle is getting on & off! I had a nice surprise yesterday...Ruutel had a bloom!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9278684

Falmouth and Hyannis are far too busy for us. We enjoy the quiet.

My Ruutel had a bloom before we left and another when we returned. Now Candida is in bloom and I just cut that back to the ground on July 3rd. It's at least 5'6" now and all the leaves are so beautiful and shiny.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9278809

I grew up in Massachusetts, once knew the Cape well. It's nice to know that some of it is still unspoiled. It sounds like you, DH and Smitty had a wonderful vacation, Pirl.

Congratulations on Ruutel, Marilyn!

Soon I'll know what my Clem's have been up to in the 7 weeks since I was last in my garden...

Pam
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9278953

Yes, we did.

Post photos of all your clem's, Pam. We'd love to see them.

Noticed this morning the earwigs got to Candida. I'll be spreading more Bug Geta Plus.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

September 18, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9279010

Missed you, Pam...hope the gardens look OK!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9279376

Some times good ideas turn into bad decisions. Such was the case when I spotted this "squirrel proof" bird feeder in the garage and thought it would be so beautiful with clematis blooms flowing from it: wrong! While it is true that squirrels can't get to the seed, they are crafty enough to swing the feeder and the seed falls out for their convenience. Then I tried it on a post in the back gardens only to find the deer banged it around as well. So it remained, unused, in the garage until I came up with the idea of using it for clematises.

Here it is with the clematis Josephine just attaching itself as my hopes ran high.

Josephine's stems went up the magnolia, thankfully, so I got to see a few blooms. Photo taken May 18.

It began with single blooms and then went to double blooms. Photo taken May 26. Overcast skies.

By June 13th Hagley Hybrid and The President took over while Josephine remained on the magnolia.

Today, needing little jobs to do while this storm and tornado watch is in effect, I cut back all of the clematises in this area to about 2 to 4" and will hope for the best.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9279379

It was very pretty in bloom from the front, pictured here, but highly impractical. I wonder what I'll think of next that will turn into disaster.

Thumbnail by pirl

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9279422

It looks beautiful!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9279441

Thanks, Pam. A 4' wide section of wire fencing might be the answer to allowing the clem's to show their beauty.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

September 19, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9279757

Wow...that was a great idea...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9279789

Marilyn: "was" describes it. I may attach the bird feeder to a tree in the back and allow some other vine, not a clematis, to climb it.

The storm gave me another issue with yet another garden art idea that went wrong but I'm still in pajamas so the photo will have to wait.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

September 19, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9280007

I love the way you think about new ideas...I'm afraid I concentrate on the plants, not the hardscape...my son despairs of me!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9280082

Often I just can't or don't visualize what can go wrong. I generally look on the optimistic side and that keeps me happy until things go wrong.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9303142

I have a very stuborn clematis, she is still buding and have a bloom open. This is my very best bloomer this year . it is a Sunset.

Thumbnail by kiseta

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9303144

Dear Pirl, my mentor. I have gone to a yard sale looking for flower pots, but I ended up with this trellis kind of tingi. It is made out of plastic, so I tought if I put a layer of chicken wire on it it could be a clematis trellis. I need to remove one of my VV from the flower pot, it did not do well in it. What is your advice. It is about 4 feet Tall. Thanks. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9303252

There are several clematises here in bloom right now. This morning I spotted one lonesome bloom on Fireworks but Candida has a few and Ernest Markham must have a few dozen blooms. It's a nice farewell to the past season but there still may be a few more stray blooms on other clem's.

That is really beautiful, Etelka. I can see birds, branches and leaves. The scrollwork is what I love.

Couldn't you mount it on two wooden posts, sunk into the ground, to blot out a view somewhere that you might not like? The chicken wire would work just fine. My thought is that you'd want to select a bright or light colored clematis to show off the piece. Do any of your plastic pieces, like pots, watering cans, etc. ever freeze in winter? That's the only thing that would concern me but your winters are probably mild enough for that not to be a concern.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

October 12, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9303266

I have a few blooms on Gypsy Queen...nice to have a clem blooming at this time...
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9303365

thanks Pirl, I have planted one out of three VV in a large flower pot, but the other two that are climbing on a trellis done much better. So I tought to move that someplace, but it is a light purple , I can remove that ugly ti-pi looking trellis from the CF Young, and run that and the VV together on the new trellis. This lady said her husband does that by order, but I got it for $10.00. I will put some chicken wire and spray it with plack paint, so it won't look tacky. Thanks again. Etelka

They are giving me a 20 year of service in the kitchen lunch, on the third Sunday, I told them I am not cooking.

Thumbnail by kiseta

bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9303639

Finally Nelly and Ramona are blooming together!

Thumbnail by bananna18

bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9303640

Etelka,I surely hope you are honored properly...only eating allowed!
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9303641

I think this is Rhapsody and Star of India.

Thumbnail by bananna18

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9303781

Etelka - you may not need much chicken wire. Once the clem's attach themselves they will find their own way up the pretty black piece.

You deserve a party where you're not the cook! I hope you enjoy the food and the applause.

Anna - beautiful clem's. It's wonderful when they play well together! Love the deep color on the last photo!

It seems this is a good time to start a new thread for fall to (or through) winter.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9303788

New thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1284448/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Clematis Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vine fence barrykooda 48 Sep 4, 2009 1:59 PM
Nelly Moser up a crabapple hczone6 11 Mar 29, 2008 3:43 AM
clematis in a pot? anastatia 17 Nov 19, 2010 8:13 AM
Clematis Gardennuttz 7 May 30, 2008 1:01 PM
What are some of your best Clematis? bluegrassmom 69 Dec 28, 2009 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America