Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Need ID on a Butterfly magnet plant

Communities > Forums > Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9222433

The cord for my camera/computer connection is broken, so I can't post the picture I took of this plant.
I was at a party the other day and saw a plant is someone's garden that had a lot of pale yellow butterflies around it feeding on the blooms.

Here's what I can tell you about it:
Location: Mission Viejo, in So.Calif. Cultivated garden...not growing wild.
Tallest plant was about 6' tall. (Several smaller ones growing in the vicinity) Open/airy growth pattern.
Square stems, multi-branched plant, alternate foliage, shape similar to a Mulberry Tree leaf, about 2 1/2" wide. Lime green(ish) foliage color.

Flower is bell-shaped, white in the center with a sky blue edging around the top, about the diameter of a nickel or maybe a quarter. It emerges from a three part complex calyx and points UPWARD when blooming. "Length" of the flower is about 1". Flower closes up at night. Spent blooms fall off and the calyx remains, then turns DOWNWARD and has a hard seed in the center about the size of a pea. No discernable fragrance, to me anyway. I snagged a piece of it but it was completely wilted and shriveled up by the time I drove the 27 miles back home and didn't revive when placed in a glass of water :(

Anyone have a clue as to what this might be ?
I've never seen it before and would like to get one.

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9223060

Square stems says it is an herb of some type. Do a search for Obedient plant and see if that's it. Otherwise, do a search for i.d.ing herbs and click on 'images' and see if you can find it.
Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

July 29, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9223077

I have squarestem here and that does not sound like what I have.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9223085

By 'square stem', I was referring to the actual stem of the mystery plant, which the poster said his plant has.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9223102

Kay: If by Obedient Plant you mean Physostegia, I have some of that, and this mystery plants isn't it. I'll go do a search for herbs as you suggested. This is making me nuts ! :)
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9223307

Well, at least you eliminated one possibility!
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 30, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9224157

As luck would have it, someone posted the exact same plant in the Plant ID forum today.
Member 'poisondartfrog' identified it as Nicandra physalodes or Shoodfly Plant / Apple of Peru.
It's in the plant files...I looked it up but none of the info. says anything about it being a butterfly/larvae attractant plant.
Hmmmm...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
save the butterflies!!!!!! eyesoftexas 1 Mar 19, 2010 10:18 PM
Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar busy_bee_or 8 Sep 21, 2007 6:11 PM
University of Florida butterfly exhibit Night_Bloom 9 Apr 12, 2007 9:24 PM
What am I? konkreteblond 26 Jul 1, 2007 10:51 PM
What are these on my milkweed? margaran 31 May 1, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America