how do I get rid of a wasps nest ?

Maple, ON

help these buggers bilt a small nest on my porch ! its about the size of a golf ball ,and before my cat or I get stung I want rid of it (actually its right over my green bean plants ) I have heard that bleach and hot water work .Whats your advice

Richmond, TX

If you really want them dead buy a "Wasp and Hornet" spray. It kills almost instantly and shoots quite a distance so that you don't risk being stung. At dusk everyone should be in the nest.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Here I have two different kinds of wasps that build nest in and around my house and barn. " Mud Dobbers" as I call them.. Their homes look like a glob of mud... They seem pretty harmless and I have never been stung by one of them.. They are black.

and then there are the "basket" wasps.. reddish black .. mean, The hotter it gets the meaner they are.. painful stings... Obviously their nests look like little baskets....

I agree with porkpal.. The best defense is a wasp and hornet spray.. although we used to just throw gasoline on a nest which also kills them instantly.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I always use the wasp killer in a spreycan from Walmarts. I have no intrest in getting close to a nest either.
I have mud dobblers and they seem harmless too.
Vickie

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Paper wasp nests can be set afire late in the day (or very early morning) when they are all in the nest. Just crumble a couple of sheets of newspaper and get a match. Beats putting insecticides in the terrain.

Richmond, TX

Do we ignore the risk of setting the house afire?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

LOL, keep a hose handy! I've burned several on the barn and other wooden outbuildings; they go quickly and don't leave any smoldering residue that might propate the fire elsewhere.

SW, AR(Zone 8a)

To exist they have to be somewhere. If you leave them be, they'll leave you be.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Safest way to get rid of them is soapy water. Make up a glass of strong soapy dish water and toss it on the nest. It will know k them all off and kill most of them right away. You can just step on any survivors. No poison and no worry of fire.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images