Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tomatoes: Mark Heilbling tomato?

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 6, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dsrtgdn
Lancaster, CA

July 29, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9222683

Anybody heard of this tomato? In appearance it's shaped and similar in size to Orange Strawberry. It's kinda heart shaped 10 oz- 1lb in weight. The foliage is pretty thin and wispy looking. Very dense tomato with few seeds per fruit (considering its size)

Long story short. I grew this tomato 7/8 years ago, loved it and carefully saved seeds. Can't find my notes on where (from whom) I received the seeds. (the year after this seed was saved I began writing the notes on the packet) Any input you might have, or if this sounds familiar please let me know.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 31, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9224514

OK, so it's kind of heart shaped, but what color is it? Since you used Orange Strawberry as an example of a heart are we to assume that it's another orange colored heart?

Have to know that in order for at least me, to search for it.( wink)

Didn't find it via Google, nor at Tania's T base but can't check SSE YEarbooks or elsewhere without knowing the color of the fruits.

Carolyn

dsrtgdn
Lancaster, CA

July 31, 2012
9:48 PM

Post #9225608

wups. No not Orange (I've grown Kelloggs Breakfast and Orange Strawberry). I'd call it a Red. Maybe Red/orange.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 2, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9227300

Can you tell me where and when you heard about it and how long ago since I've searched and searched and can't find ONE reference to it.

Which to me suggests that it's a variety someone named after perhaps a family member and the seeds have not been distributed elsewhere.

Carolyn
dsrtgdn
Lancaster, CA

August 2, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9227777

I know I received it in trade at some point before 2002 because that's the date of the seed I saved. You could be correct that someone named it for a family member. Or, someone named Mark H shared the seed and the variety is actually something more familiar.

At least I learned the name of the shape, the picture of "Homers German ox heart" I saw on this forum a minute ago, has the same shape and the color is very like what I'm growing as well. The average size of this one is closer to 1/2 pound.

Carolyn, Thank you for taking the time to try for an answer.

Are there many red ox heart tomatoes?

Chris
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 3, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9227872

Yes, there are many many red heart shaped varieties, as well as many many pink heart shaped varieties as well.

So no help there.

If you know where the person lives from whom you got the seeds you could try entering the name at Zaba Search ( find it via Google) online to see if you can find a match.

Carolyn

dsrtgdn
Lancaster, CA

August 3, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9228704

Okay. No further info at all, so I'll let it go. Thanks for trying. It was just hope. If it continues to plague me, eventually I'll have enough seed saved to share with several people hoping to match it to a known variety.

Thanks again

Chris

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America