Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Gardening by the Moon: Moon Gardening Calendar August 2012

Communities > Forums > Gardening by the Moon
bookmark
Forum: Gardening by the MoonReplies: 26, Views: 206
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

July 29, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9222993

The Calendar I always put first in the thread is the Farmer's Almanac because some people follows it, then I continue with the one I use, the Biodynamic system.

One of the element in biodynamic, is the planting calendar,which has to do with the cosmic timing of activities in the garden, much of the timing for work to be carried out according to the biodynamic system is to do with the movement of the moon through the Zodiac.

Farmers' Almanac
August 2012

1st Favorable Day For Planting Beets, Carrots, Turnips, Onions, Radishes, And Other Root Crops.

2nd-4th Barren Days. Fine For Killing Plant Pests.

5th-6th Favorable Days For Planting Root Crops, Fine For Vine Crops. Good Days For Transplanting.

7th-8th Barren Days. Do No Planting.

9th-10th Root Crops That Can Be Planted Now Will Yield Well. Good Days For Transplanting.

11th-13th Any Seeds Planted Now Will Tend To Rot.

14th-15th Most Favorable Days For Planting Beets, Onions, Turnips, And Other Root Crops. Plant Seedbeds And Flower Gardens. Good Days For Transplanting.

16th-19th A Barren Time. Best For Killing Weeds, Briars, Poison Ivy, And Other Plant Pests. Clear Woodlots And Fencerows.

20th-21st Good Days For Planting Aboveground Crops. Excellent For Sowing Grains, Winter Wheat, Oats, And Rye. Plant Flowers.

22nd-24th Plant Peas, Beans, Tomatoes, Peppers And Other Aboveground Crops, In Southern Florida, California, And Texas. Extra Good For Leafy Vegetables. Plant Seedbeds.

25th-26th Cut Winter Wood, Do Clearing And Plowing, But No Planting.

27th-29th Good Time To Plant Aboveground Crops.

30th-31st Barren Days. Fine For Killing Plant Pests.

Biodynamic Moon Zodiac Calendar

August 1 - 2 - 3
Root day
Planet Capricorn
Moon Full

Synodic:
Sow root vegetables, berries, bulbs, onions, biennials, and perennials. 

Biodynamic:
Moon in Capricorn: Earth sign. It is a good time to sow Root vegetables Beetroot, Carrots, Radish,Spring Onions, Turnips. Do not sow Flower vegetables like Broccoli, Calabrese. Produce collected today will not store well.

Sidereal: August 1 - 2
Moon in Capricorn: Potatoes and tubers planted under Capricorn or any earth sign will have a strong growth.

Sidereal: August 3
Moon in Aquarius: Dry and barren. Do garden maintenance.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9224251

Roots days
Roots days are associated with Earth signs (Capricorn, Taurus, Virgo), the energy of the Moon is focused into the roots of the plant. Planting now you will get strong, hardy well-anchored plants.

Root vegetables are divided into : Tap Roots, Tuberous Roots, Corms, Rhizomes, Tubers, and bulbs.

Tubers differ from other roots in that they are swollen underground stems, capable of producing new plants and storing energy for the parent plant. If the parent plant dies, the underground tubers can create new plants. Other roots can take nutrients from the ground, but cannot store energy or use it for reproduction. So while every tuber is a root vegetable, not all roots are tubers.

Tubers = Potato, sunchoke, yam

Tap Roots = beet, carrot, cassava, jicama, parsnip, radish, rutabaga, salsifi, sugarbeet, turnip. Horseradish is a tap root mainly use as condiment.

Tuberous Roots = Sweet potato, yucca.

Corms = Celeriac, eddo, taro, water chestnut.

Rhizomes = Arrowroot, galangal, ginger, ginseng, lotus root, turmeric.

Bulbs = garlic, onion, spring onions ((also known as scallion, salad onion, onion stick, green shallot, or green onion in many countries), shallot, leeks, chives...
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9225342

August 4 - 5

Flower day
Planet: Aquarius
Moon: Waning gibbous

Synodic:
Biodynamic: 
Moon in Aquarius: Air sign. Sow Flowering plants: Broccoli, Calabrese. Do not sow Roots plants Beetroot, Carrots, Radish, Onions.

Sidereal: 8/4
Moon in Aquarius: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.
Sidereal: 8/5
Moon in Pisces: This is the best sign for planting soft fruit. It is a time of maximum water intake for plants.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9226448

Flower Days

Flower days are associated with AIR signs (Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius).
Plant now, if you want fragrance, beauty, and a long flowering time under these signs. All flower plants, flowering trees and flowering vines and shrubs, the Moon's influence is channeled into the blossom growth.

Use flower days for planting / cultivating Broccoli, Cauliflowers ( although these will do better in a Water sign). Globe Artichokes, bulbs and flowers, flowering herbs (eg Angelica, Borage, Camomile, Lavander, Wormwood.), flowering hedges, flowering trees (eg Lilac), also if you want flowering bulbs and corms ...

~ Plant and prune whilst the moon is descending, ideally on flower-days, when the sap is drawn to the roots

~ Sow on flower days during a waxing moon

~ Fertilize when the moon is waning,whilst the earth is absorbing.

~ Graft, (roses) store (bulbs) or harvest (flowering herbs), on Flower days (yellow) when the moon is ascending, and the sap is rising up

~ Flowers cut on flower days will keep their freshness much longer on the vase

~ This is also a good time for cultivation.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 2, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9227536

August 6 - 7

Leaf day
Planet: Pisces
Moon: Waning gibbous

Synodic:

Biodynamic: 
Moon in Pisces: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants: Basil, Cabbages, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage,Lettuce.
Do not sow Fruit plants like Peas.

Sidereal:
Moon in Pisces: This water sign promotes root growth.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9228490

Leaf Days

LEAF are associated with the water constellations (Pisces, Scorpio, Cancer).When you plant in a Water sign, the Moon's influence / energy is channeled into the leaves. This are considered to be the most productive signs, even more so than Earth signs.

Choose leaf days for salads, leaf herbs (mint,basil), Asparagus, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages, Celeriac, Celery, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage,Dill, Kale, Florence Fennel, Kale, Lettuce, Rhubarb, spinach, Swiss Chard, also cauliflower and leeks, as well as grass or non flowering hedges

~Plant or prune (hedges) during a descending moon (sap is drawn to the roots).

~Sow leaf - plants when the moon is waxing, ideally on leaf days

~Fertilize when the moon is waning, (when the earth is inhaling) and ideally on a leaf-day.

~Very good time for fertilizing and irrigating.

~ Don't harvest now, crops will decay too soon.

~Harvesting is normally best when the moon is ascending. However, to store your leaf harvest, use fruit or flower days, as the watery element present on leaf-days is NOT good for storing.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2012 7:05 PM
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9230856

August 8 - 9 - 10

Fruit day
Planet: Aries
Moon: Last quarter

Synodic:
Garden maintenance, harvesting and weeding only. Building a new compost heap.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aries: Fire sign. Sow Fruit plants: beans, peas, grains, cucumbers, squashes. Do not sow Leaf plants Basil, Cabbages, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage, Lettuce.

Sidereal:
Moon in Aries: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance only.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2012 6:34 PM
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9234793

August 11 - 12

Root day
Planet: Taurus
Moon: Last quarter

Synodic:
Garden maintanace, harvesting and weeding only. Building a new compost heap.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Taurus: Earth sign. Sow Root plants:Radish, Spring Onions,Turnips. Do not sow Brocolli.

Sidereal:
Moon in Taurus: This is a good time to sow Root vegetable crops especially when hardiness in drought conditions is needed.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9237089

August 13 - 14 - 15

Flower day
Planet: Gemini
Moon: Waning crescent

Synodic:
Garden maintenance, harvesting and weeding only. Building a new compost heap.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Gemini: Air sign. Sow Flowering plants: Broccoli. Do not sow Roots: Radish, Spring Onions,Turnips.

Sidereal:
Moon in Gemini: Barren and dry, and yet good for promoting flower growth.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9238899

Cristina, have you ever done any canning by the Signs?
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9238931

Yes Darius I try to do my canning and jams following the signs. Also I done some without.

With the sign, the jams, marmalade always they finish with a thick syrup. When I start the drying in the waning moon under a fire sign they dry quickly even if I use just only the sun, I find that when is good to harvest for winter food, long time storage they go real well. Earth sign are good for roots, but fire signs still do the best for me.

It is not the same with water and air sign, the jams end up with a thin syrup even using enough pectin.
Takes longer to dry the fruits and produce with these as well.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9238935

Can you elaborate? Best signs to cut and cure foods for long term storage? Best signs to can meats, veggies? Best signs to dehydrate?
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9239486

wow darius I'll have to look at my notes in my journal.

I do have something about meat but I do not can meat. I do some curing though, most are info pass down from my family and some from my own experience.
But for meat, killed with the Moon is increasing, that is waning in Aries, Leo or Sagittarius keeps well. The joints cure better and does not shrink a lot. I do the same when making and smoking sausages.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9239695

Good to know on the meat, although I don't raise any, nor butcher. I've done a little curing, and I make sausage.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9240491

August 16 - 17

Leaf day
Sign: Cancer
Moon: New Moon

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber, and Grains. Harvest produce now will keep well.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Cancer: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants : Cabbages, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage,Lettuce. Do not sow Fruit plants:Peas, any type of Beans. Fruits Harvested now will not keep / store for longer.

Sidereal:
Moon in Cancer: This planet is the best for germination.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9241644

Darius here you have some favourable dates and signs for Harvest:, Drying and Freezing and also Canning.

Fruit and vegetables
Harvesting in the dry air (i.e. Libra, Aquarius and Gemini) and fire signs (i.e. Aries, Leo and Sagittarius) in the fourth quarter moon phase helps in the preservation of fruit and vegetables.
Fruits picked during a waning moon phase will cause any damage that may occurs to dry up and not rot.

Do not harvest fruit, grain, and vegetables in the watery signs (i.e. Cancer, Pisces, and Scorpio) or during the new moon. They will either decay or sprout.

Can fruit and vegetables a day after the full Moon till the New Moon in the signs of Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces, if you have to, you also can use the Earth signs: Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn.

Best signs and time to Dry ( dehydrate):
The dry signs, they are:
Air signs: Gemini, Libra, Aquarius
Fire signs: Aries, Leo, Saggitarius
Time
Waning Moon or 2 to 3 days after Full Moon right through day before of New Moon.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9241659

Thanks, Cristina!
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9242652

August 18 - 19

Fruit day
Sign: Leo
Moon New Moon

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber, also Grains. This is a good time to pick vegetables if they are to be stored.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Leo: Fire sign. Sow Fruit plants: peas, grains. Do not sow Leaf plants like Cabbages, Lettuce... Fruits Harvested now will store for longer. 

Sidereal:
Moon in Leo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 17, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9244910

August 20 - 21

Root day
Sign: Virgo
Moon Waxing crescent

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber, also Grains. If any produce is harvested today, is for prompt consumption.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Virgo: Earth sign. It is a good time to sow Root plants like Jerusalem Artichokes, Radish, Spring Onions.
Don't sow Flower plants.

Sidereal:
Moon in Virgo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance, compost care.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9246975

August 22 - 23

Flower day
Sign: Libra
Moon: Waxing crescent

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber. Grains. Vegetables harvested will not keep for long.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Libra: Air sign. Sow Flower plants: broccoli. Do not sow Roots plants: Radish,Spring Onions,Pototoes...

Sidereal:
Moon in Virgo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9247261

Well I was headed out to plant out my daylily seedlings after waiting thru the barren weekend. Looks like the 22 and 23 are a much better choice. My worry is I dont know when I planted the seedlings so their growth life might already be 'set' no matter when I plant them out.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9248119

garden glory, If you are looking for BEAUTIFUL flowers then Libra is the sign you want.

I am repeating what I already explain about Flower days:

FLOWER are associated with AIR signs (Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius),Plant now, if you want fragrance, beauty, and a long flowering time under these signs. All flower plants, flowering trees and flowering vines and shrubs, the Moon's influence is channeled into the blossom growth.

And yes, i do love daylily and they are stunning but they will grow strong and healthy when you follow the signs, at least that is what I believe ...

The best of luck with your planting
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
4:20 AM

Post #9248582

Thanks for the repeat. I really appreciate it. Ill for sure wait till the 22nd.

thanks
pam
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9250526

August 24 - 25 - 26

Leaf day
Sign: Scorpio
Moon First quarter

Synodic:
This is a good time to sow vegetables that produce seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Scorpio: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants: Cabbages, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage, Lettuce...
Do not sow Fruit plants.

Sidereal:
Moon in Scorpio: An excellent time for planting, germination and strong sturdy growth will result.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2012 8:22 PM
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9251644

August 27 - 28

Fruit day
Sign Sagittarius
Moon Waxing gibbous

Synodic:
Sow vegetables with seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Sagittarius: Fire sign. Do sow Fruit plants: Peas ... Do not sow Leaf plants: Cabbages, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage, Lettuce.

Sidereal:
Moon in Sagittarius: Dry and barren. Good time to plant onion sets and bulbs.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 26, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9254603

August 29 - 30

Root day
Sign: Capricorn
August 29: Moon Waxing gibbous
August 30: Full Moon

Synodic:
Sow Root vegetables, berries, bulbs, onions, biennials, and perennials.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Capricorn: This is a Earth sign. It is a good time to sow Root plants: Radish, Onions. Do not plant Flower plants.

Sidereal:
Moon in Capricorn: Potatoes and tubers planted now will have a strong growth.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 28, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9257542

August 31st

Flower day
Sign: Aquarius
Moon FULL

Synodic:
Now is a good time to sow root vegetables, berries, bulbs, onions, biennials, and perennials.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aquarius: Air sign. Sow Flowering plants Do not sow Root plants: Radish, Spring Onions, Turnips. Fruits Harvested now should be eaten straight away.

Sidereal:
Moon in Aquarius: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance only.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Gardening by the Moon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Moon calendar? nivlac 13 Jul 11, 2007 5:46 PM
Welcome to the Gardening by the Moon forum dave 67 Dec 27, 2008 6:47 AM
Those who know how to read an almanac defoecat 81 Jul 10, 2007 1:03 AM
Moon Phases threegardeners 9 Jul 11, 2007 9:59 PM
Here's what I'd started last year .. Magpye 24 Jul 21, 2007 4:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America