Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Daylilies: Increasing fan production

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 12, Views: 118
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9223154

Our local daylily groups' AHS members get an "adoption " plant to grow for a couple of years..you then keep 2 fans and give the rest back to be auctioned.
I have had Bridey Greeson for almost 2 years..no increase. It was transplanted at new place as soon as it could be...in amended soil (ie: compost amidst the Clay). I would like to give it a boost, so would have more fans. I do have Messenger and could give it a weak solution watering. It has been watered during our drought.
Could use any advice...she is also "cheap" with pollen production.
Today my # came up (midway in drawings) and I got "Possible Side Effects"...the lady next to me had first drawn #...got "Water Drops"..she let a couple of us pat the fans!!!!:)
tink3472
(Michele) Cantonment, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9223306

Some daylilies just don't increase very well. Those you really can't give a quick boost to get them to grow. Giving it something extra I'm sure it will love, but I doubt it will get it to increase any time soon.

The ones here get lots and lots of fertilizer, alfalfa, chicken litter, etc etc and some just do not increase at all no matter what you do to them.

I hope someone who grows BG will chime in and say how it performs for them.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9223310

Some daylilies just dont want to increase. I do put milorganite on all of mine, just for that purpose tho. Since they are 'grassy', they respond beautifully to the nitrogen. Its just about milorganite time as well.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9223331

I use milorganite too Pam. Do you usually put it on in the spring and then again in the fall??
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9223362

Yes, I put it on sometime between the first of august and labor day, its so hot right now Im going to wait a week or two to wake them up and get them working. I put in on again between feb1st and March 1st. I will also put some osmacote on around the end of september. I pretty well feel this is when its getting its flowers ready for the spring.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9223373

Thanks. I guess I will wait till maybe late August or early September.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9223671

Thanks..will also wait..back in the 90s again.
Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

July 31, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9224594

Marcia, we have some daylilies that just will not increase or are very slow to. They get the same treatment that faster increasing daylilies get. The ones we want to increase the most seem to be some of the slowest to increase. We have had Bridey Greeson for several years now and really love the blooms. It has been a good increaser for us. We have had only a few pods to set. It is pollen fertile.

Pam, thanks for the reminder to put out Milorganite again. I have been busy making new beds and planting and had forgotten that it is time for a second application.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9224612

I think Im going to go ahead and put it on. Going to be at HD today and will pick it up. Next time it looks like we are going to get a good shower, out it goes. Some of mine look so bad Im worried about them making it thru august. Im pretty sure the roots are happy tho.
Put some spray and grow on this morning when it was still coolish and shady out.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9225271

Pam, do you have any success with "spray and grow"?
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #9225704

I have great luck with spray and grow and lots of things. Since daylilies dont bloom like a geranium, impatient, petunia, rose, that sort of thing that just stays in bloom all the time, Im not 100% how it really works on the daylilies. I believe it helps, especially getting them thru the hot summer. Since its just vitamins and minerals it doesnt stress them in the heat. It works fantastic on continually blooming things/perennials/annuals, that sort of thing. Im doing a test right now on seedlings. Some with...some without.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9225706

I have some and never use it, guess I should use it then.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9225710

It only stays good for a few hours after mixing up, that is its downfall. I like to make up gallon sprays of stuff so when I see a weed, or detect aphids, whatever, the spray is ready to go. Otherwise...well when its hot, the bugs might win. Cant do that with spray and grow, but for me, its worth it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America