Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Canadian Gardening: What's Happening in your neck of the woods?Chat with friends

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 184, Views: 893
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 30, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9223359

Thought I'd move us over...

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1266039/

This message was edited Jul 30, 2012 8:44 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 30, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9223365

Morning,

ViolaAnn, omg that didn't take long... end of August closing? sorry for the memory, had they already put an offer on the other? Bet they are doing the happy dance..

"M" as always the Elvis weekend was a great success, perfect weather, top notch entertainment..I especially love the Gospel Breakfast, 3 top entertainers do his songs..if you closed your eyes, you would not know it wasn't he..tired out today, have 4 days to rest then off for 10 days wayyyy down yonder..bet I saw more of Elvis than I'll see in Memphis lol

be back in a bit

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9223838

Happy Dance indeed. You can hardly recognize their place once the stagers got hold of it. DD said she couldn't find her telephone even. It now looks as though the sellers of the place where DD is moving might be a bit flexible and maybe DD's buyers will be flexible too. They bargained the price almost up to what they hope to have. We might end up taking the kids off their hands later in August, but I draw the line at their fool dog, though the poor animal is bewildered by all the changes.

The market in Ottawa is uncertain; so I'm sure they are glad to have sold quickly. They had to do quite a bit of work on their house to get it ready - read they didn't look after it very well - and with the gov't downsizing, a lot of people are uncertain about their jobs, but the street is VERY quiet, has a park and ravine right on it and is easy access to the river as well. I think that's what really sold it fast.

Thanks for moving us over.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 30, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9223949

ViolaAnn That was fast! It can be amazing what the stagers do too. They always seem to think of things you wouldn't have even dreamed of. It most likely helped for the sale for sure. Big relief for your family.

Susan they do say the younger you learn the easier it is, good for you giving it a go and doing it! All I can say is practice! It will all come together for you.

Heat here again and of course thunderstorm warnings too.

Eating cucumber and tomatoes out of the G house and needing to shade them as the heat is huge in there. Canna's are loving it and I am able to keep most things watered by Mother Nature.

Found some good plants on Kijiji. One place was a dud but the other had some great cactus good for our Zone.
Bye for now all.

Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 30, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9224349

Thanks for all the support re: my learning to ride a bike :-)

VAnn - SO glad they sold quickly - with an uncertain market, you never really know, but it takes a potential buyer to really know what they want. Good for the stagers to get it to sale-able status! Means your DD won't have to deal with 2 mortgages, etc...
Hope the buyers are flexible enough that they have no problems with moving date

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 31, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9224521

Morning everyone ^_^
Nice to see pretty much nothing but GOOD news on the thread!
Thanks Betty for the move.

Lorna saw the physiotherapist yesterday, and, she will be 'fast tracked' to see the orthopedic surgeon by the end of August, we hope.
Surgery is just a 'word' right now as the physio feels he (the surgeon) might try alternatives.

Gordon is back tomorrow .. fishing in Wisconsin has been pretty poor .. I would imagine due to the heat there.
Today MAY be our last day of heat and humidity for a bit.

Off to get gas and look at new cell phones ..

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 31, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9225349

Marilyn - hope the heat and humidity quietens down for you now!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 1, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9225697

Another day, another duty :-)

Blasted heat yesterday, it was stifling ! Apparently today we will be getting cooler temps, and, perhaps a thunderstorm.
AlbAnn .. Edmonton seems to have had lots of bad weather lately.

Got a new cell phone yesterday, as always, the learning curve is making me feel like a real idiot. It's the type of cell that slides to reveal your keyboard .. have gotten my texting option back, I let it go in 2010. Now my grand kids want to be able to text me. So far i can't set the date or time, and, sending a message with a NUMBER in it is stumping me. Guess I'll just keep at it .. I can always have Murray or one of the kids show me.

Took Lorna's walker in for repairs yesterday .. lawsie they do NOT make these things for someone who is active !! Her brakes are again shot, and the hand grips are a frayed mess. Will get it back today ..

Must go and have a look at the environment Canada site ..

RABBIT RABBIT hope August is an awesome month for everyone ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 1, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9225753

Morning..

drats, know I typed an entire message yesterday but don't see it this morning, must we in cyberspace..

Storms rolled through yesterday, watched the news and Toronto sure got hit hard yesterday, water was almost up to the windows of the cars..we got a fair amount but all came within 1/2 hr. and by the time I got home the ground was actually dry. That being said, will take whatever we get..hot weather for the remainder of the week..ooops leaving Friday and not heading to cooler temps, imagine, Nashville/Memphis and New Orleans are near 100 feeling like 115-120. Bought some ice chips from Michaels, will make a few of those neck coolers tonight, will help bring body temp down while sightseeing.

This week seems forever, can't wait to get out of dodge...

Greg/Mel and family took the Foxy Lady up the Trent, got back late last night and now preparing to boat Georgian Bay..Greg can't figure out why I wouldn' just take her out and spend a week on the lake..too easy for me, like the challenge of an oven lol

I guess "M" not everyone is as active as Lorna, she sure does put her use of the walker to the test. Smilled when I read your difficulties with learning new phone..I got a blackberry a few weeks ago, Jeff felt I should have one..he brought it filled with contact numbers, showed me but much too much for me to register so I depend on the grandsons to drop in for 'dummy' lessons, am sure they have a book, should really buy one..good luck figuring it out.

Guess you'll be celebrating Gordon's homecoming..no fish dinner to celebrate though.

Alberta Ann, never imagined your area would be good for cactus?? You are making my mouth water, love cucumber and tomato sandwhiches..everything is so slow here, usually there is an abundance of both at this time of year but nothing yet. Think we'll pay this winter for this heat! Been watching the weather network, sure hope you are not experiencing the inclement weather..tornado warnings in some parts..keep safe!

Susan, when is your next bike lesson?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 1, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9226317

Ahhhhhhhhh .. the ever present 'escaping messages' .. been there on a few of the Forums, find it very disturbing, but, nothing you can do about it.
You must be so excited about your trip to the South Betty :-)
The neck coolers sound like a good idea ..
VERY muggy here .. and .. we had a dandy thunder boomer role through around 4pm, and, a DELUGE of rainfall for about 20 minutes .. temp was 39C!!

I putzed around with the new cell phone this aft .. finally figured out how to turn it OFF, not put it on 'pause' .. I can now delete messages and I was able to configure the voice mail, but, there are lots of little things I need to be SHOWN ..

We have some tomatoes ready to eat, cherry tomatoes, not sure re cukes, they're WAY in the back garden .. I know there are a few the deer didn't get .. can hardly wait for the 'Field Tomatoes' from southern ON .. if they have them ..

Corrie is comin on .. so I will be 'engaged' for an hour ^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 1, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9226341

AbAnn - guess you got some of that hail too, eh? Nasty stuff
Bob was working on our neighbour-down-the-street's home when it was threatening "weather" so he got down and was tying down his ladders when it HIT! He dove under the tailgate to avoid the hail... Boom, Bang on our roof (metal roof no less...) and I phoned our friend to see how Bob was doing... she told me he was under the truck lol
He got home safe & sound after it let up a bit to "only" rain...

Betty - I know you're chomping at the bit to head off on your Road Trip!

Marilyn - Lorna's really going through that walker and putting it through its paces lol Good for her!!!!!!!

Not sure when my next bike lesson is. She says maybe she can fit me in on Aug 11th, but we'll see. In the meantime I'm not getting any practice cuz I need Bob to drive my bike to a park. We have a major hill behind us, but it's way too steep for me. Bob's been working on Kay's roof, and this weekend we're going camping. I'll take the bike with me and see what I can do. Not taking my "nice" bike, cuz I don't have a carrier and I don't want it bumping around loose in the truck bed... would get all scratched up and it's "like-new" right now. No, I'll take my "little" bike that I can stand flat-footed on the ground with - an 11" frame LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 3, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9228076

Morning everyone..it's slow moving, clock just isn't ticking fast enough!
Car packed and ready to hit the road..half hoped boss would call and say 'off you go' but hasn't done so as yet. Keep hoping...

Sunshine here, tomorrow is suppose to be a scorcher..last night we had 10 drops of rain, no kiding I could count each one of them..didn't help a bit so last night I walked around the gardens, got all the hanging baskets and put them under the gazebo so Cathy can water from time to time seeing as she or her mom will come over for the furries..makes it easier than having to go in search of where the planters are.

Susan, imagine you are also packed up and ready to escape come days end...hope weather co-operates for you.

So what are you all up to this long weekend?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 3, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9228240

Travel safe Betty ..

Sitting here actually wearing a SWEAT SHIRT!!! It is a very cool day, with impending rain forecast. Went to town early .. got my new license plate sticker, Lorna applied for a new health card, she still has the red and white one .. we were home by 11am .. no need to water, grass is cut. so. just going to watch some of the Olympic events.

My Aunt Gladys is 97 on Monday .. still hale ane hearty .. there's a tea for her on Sunday I think .. I'll bop in to see her tomorrow.

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend !!

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 3, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9228410

Camping (tenting) stuff's packed and sitting on the deck, waiting for a bit of Bob's input, and his packing of the truck... it's after 2pm, and he's still heading home. He ran some errands after work, and should be home soon...
Rain's stopped and should be sunny & warm/hot the rest of the holiday weekend!

chat with you on Monday evening!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 4, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9229042

I think we may be in for a rainy day here. Thunder storms started around 5am and the rain continues to fall .. HANDS FREE WATERING!

Not much happening, so far ..

Enjoy your Saturday ^_^

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 5, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9230000

BRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr .. what the heck is happening !!! Just had the dogs out, and after a day of temps in the mid 30s C we are into temps of
10C !!! Downright nippy out there ..

Had a bear rip down a branch full of apples from one of the apple trees during the night :-(
Can't bring the apple trees in like you can the bird feeders. I must say though that it was OH SO NICE to feel the cooler breeze.
I would imagine Betty is in the 'thick' of the Southern humidity by now ...

Enjoy your day ^_^

~M~

PS: adding a pic of Piper on his excursion to the DUMP .. he sits in the back window of the truck :-)

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9230942

Sale of daughter's house fell through after the inspection. Small things, and DD's perspective is that they buyers were nitpicking and they didn't reach a consensus. But it was a REALLY quick sale - 2 days after listing. Hopefully it will sell soon.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 6, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9231155

Bummer :-(
As you say .. perhaps it's only a minor set back, and, the sale of the house will go through quickly. Fingers (and toes) crossed on my part!

Another cool morning .. very Autumnal .. however .. the heat is coming back, but, in small doses.

Off to walk the dogs (carefully) the annoying bear has been around !!!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 6, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9231183

I sent you an update yesterday, I thought I might repeat the process and let you know about our Sunday!    As a way of having some downtime I started to type last night  but then fell asleep.

Now up, getting ready to start another day..

With just a little less than 5 hrs sleep we were up and running by 9:30am this morning..after closing Ernest Tubb's Midnight Jamboree we were back to do the Cowboys Church Service..to say we enjoyed would be an understatement..what talent!  The service was 1 1/2 hours in duration, MC was Dr.yates, wife Joanna Yates sang (Johnny Cash's younger sister). Not only did she resemble him but sang tunes where she sounded just like her hubby. Only about 80 in attendance, got to gab with her, have my photo taken with her then headed downtown Nashville making the Parthenon our next stop..as we left the service we were having a torrential rain, thankfully it stopped by the time we reached the Parthenon!

Who would ever guess that such a structure would be found in  the downtown area of Nashville..really impressed with their  grounds and the 'to' scale replica of an ancient Greek monument structure.  On the 2nd floor was Athena, 42' tall statue, exact replica as found in Greece.

Now that we praised the Lord, added some culture to our lives it was time to "be bad"

music row here we come..entertainment in every establishment..up and coming talent some of which should be performing at the Opry..you would never know it was as hot as it was because everywhere we entered  had a/c on the coolest setting, at times I was cold.

What a day just sitting and listening to the music..

On one of our jaunts from bar to bar there was Tom Arnold (movie star) doing a take on the street, few people watching..it was a scorcher and he had the retake a few tapes because he couldn't get one of the words right, a girl kept dabbing makeup on him and wiping his forehead..

Suzanne offered him her hat, he said my head is too big, shaking his head,but grabbed it and put it on..I said 'if you want to talk big' kind of kibitzing around at my size..he started  to laugh, said I married bigger' and winked. (re Roseanne Barr). Some of you young ones won't even know her..had a comedy series on tv for forever..

So that was our Sunday..

Just getting ready to pack up and head to Memphis, lots planned for the day then a late night of Beale Street Blues..

Sent from my iPad

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 6, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9232536

woo hoo Betty - sounds like you fit all modes of "self" in there... praise, culture, and "BAD" lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 6, 2012
11:30 PM

Post #9232587

Betty, so happy to hear you are having a wonderful time !!
I like Tom Arnold, and USED to like RoseAnne as well until her debacle while singing the American National Anthem at a ball game!

I'm up .. :-(
Gord brought a lot of things home from the States with him, not the least of which was a COLD, which I now have .. so far, just a sore throat, but, enough to waken me .. have taken some tylenol.

Off I go to catch a few more ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 7, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9233634

What a few days this has been...
Camping started badly, but got better (somehow our spot was pre-booked by us, but pre-booked by someone else?!?!) Anyway, they were there first, so we got "something else" with no power, but the campground owners gave us the use of a 100' cord to plug in. Afterwards it was... interesting, but fine...I do love the country &the campground!!
Then, got home yesterday to find our water is being shut off for 4 days... and we have to stockpile water for then... for Everything! From Thursday to Sunday...
Today I found out my temp job is only going to last 3 more weeks... they are filling the position, but not with me - will find their own new employee (read: they don't want to pay the agency fee...).
I wish I had more control over my life...
At least I have my health, and my DH, and a roof over our heads... that counts for something...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 8, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9234302

Jeepers Susan never a dull moment when you,d like one!
Hope all goes well with the water situation!!

I"m in bed. The cold is messing me up!

Have. A good. One

M

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 8, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9234467

Apparently it will be a Minimum of 4 days.
They will also have water trucks dispersed in the park (good thing - there are 183 homes in the park!! I'm not walking 1/2 mile for a drink of water lol )

Marilyn - hope this cold lets go of its icy hold on you soon!!!

This message was edited Aug 8, 2012 12:28 PM

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 9, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9235314

Snork, cough ACHOO :0(
I am a hurtin unit, but,I know it won't last and I'll stick by that theory ~~

Susan .. they do 'things' with the water in TBay .. I think replace old pipes etc in designated areas .. our Works dept runs hoses along the curbs and attaches them to a water source. Thinking back, my good friend Jo-Anne went with water like that for a few weeks.
I sure do hope that Calgary will hold to the four days promised.

Rained all night here, and still is .. a nice steady rain ..
Not sure if I will manage a trip into town or not .. have to see bout that ..

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 9, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9236242

We didn't get the water shut off today... 1st they changed it to 4pm, then said "in the future" which I take to mean it was too hot for the workers to do any excavation or such which would necessitate them shutting off the water. They likely have it in their contract not to work if too hot or too cold. It's been hovering around 30-32c for past several days.
Thing is, we fill our tub (so we can have water to flush) then empty it and refill it next time they say they'll shut the water of. So, it's been 2 fills, times 183 or so homes... that's a lot of water the City is paying for...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 10, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9237022

Susan, so much for 'conservation'. Good to hear you'll have water all weekend though.
Had noticed that Calgary finally got some summer temps .. I'm sure not complaining here .. we are having days of 23 to 25C and, it goes down to 6C at night .. now that's a bit brisk ..

Guess Betty will be home this weekend .. Lorna's parents have been having rain for the last 24 hours and expect it to continue over the weekend. . their garden will be luvin it .. they've already done down green and yellow beans.
We dug fresh potatoes here on Wednesday .. totally decadent ^_^

Still coughing up a lung every so often .. so much so that I took Gord to an appt at the hospital to see his orthopedic surgeon, and, I wouldn't go in for fear I would launch into a coughing fit !!! Sat out in the car (in a shady spot) for 2 hours nursing a bottle of water and sucking on cough drops! I fear I have the dreaded 'BETTY COUGH' .. very annoying, and I am SO happy I don't have any 'social engagements this weekend .. I literally FLEW out the front door of Shoppers yesterday and left my cart of stuff because I started to cough relentlessly .. been awhile since I have had to deal with something like this.

Have a great weekend everyone ..

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 10, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9237165

Marilyn - how long have you had this relentless cough now? Been months, right? Every once in awhile I hear of a year when so many people get this cough, and it seems to go on for 4-6 months...
I hope yours clears up soon! Maybe you should take the meds Betty did, which "silenced" her cough so she wouldn't have it become habit-forming (that doesn't sound right, but I hope you know what I mean...)

Yes, it's not very "conservative" of the City to put people through all this storing of water then to have us toss it down the drain, literally. It was too cold to use on my garden... We had to wait for the hot water heater to heat up again, cuz they had us shut down any water related items, like central a/c (we don't have one - just a little window a/c)

Well, I got a startle at work... I asked my boss if it was going to be 2 weeks when my contract was up and she said I was welcome to apply for the job! I said "but the position closed today" and she said I could bring my resume in to her on Monday - that would be fine. We talked about some "issues" she has with my work, but frankly I think those could be overcome. She said that I'm a lovely person, and yes, people make mistakes, and she's anal about these things... Well peeps - don't know if you noticed it or not, but I'm a pretty intense person LOL Sounds like it would be a "match" lol
anyway, I will apply and we'll have to see what comes of it. Apparently there have been 5-6 people in the position over the past 2 years or so... btw - I was told by the Agency that I "would not be considered" as per my boss... hey, my boss (Darla) brought up the option to bring in my resume, not me...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 11, 2012
1:59 AM

Post #9237419

Have had the cough for a week .. it has gotten worse over the past 2 days. In fact I have been up since 4am hacking away !! Very frustrating. I WAS going to go and get some groceries, but not now ..

Good luck with the job Susan .. fingers crossed.

Going to try and get some more sleep .. I think I'm fighting a losing battle though ..

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 11, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9237920

Believe it or not... I slept in until 10am today! That's unheard of, but Bob kept the sound on TV and not the speaker system, so I wouldn't get disturbed...what a sweetie!
Last night I got a headache (I NEVER get headaches) and it wouldn't go away...stabbing pain in both temples/sides of my head... scary... and I still have a vestige of it today. Didn't tell Bob cuz he knows I never get them. Think I need more coffee... Maybe it's nerves over the job possibility?!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9237991

Chamberfest is over. Helped at 23 concerts this year and got to a few more. Now to catch up. First job was dill pickles - half bushel of small cukes made 17 quart jars and 6 pint jars. Should be good for a couple of years. And peach jam. Was going to save my boiling water bath and do it, but didn't. I have the crushed peaches in the freezer ready to go. Figured I should do that when I had time so I knew how many I could eat.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 11, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9238007

crushed peaches - thinking of all the yummy stuff you could make with this... jams, slushies... pies!

anyone else having problems finding regular cukes in the grocery stores? I find the bags of mini cukes, and the long seedless ones, but Not the regular garden variety cukes... I like them for sandwiches, and really don't want to "fuss" with the tiny ones.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 11, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9238301

Well, last night Bob & I headed out to the park with our bikes, and I tried to pedal... but discovered the bike is too small for me. How strange for me to find a bike that's Too Short!
I wasn't able to do a full extension of my legs, so I was kinda awkward. I fell 2x in the 1/2 hour, and poor Bob was quite worried the first time - it bothers him to see me fall of course. I ended up with a tiny bruise as I couldn't fall far with the short bike

Anyway, hope to get out again tonight - with my full-sized bike!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 11, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9238443

Just got home

Gab in the am

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 11, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9238577

Welcome home, Betty!!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 12, 2012
1:28 AM

Post #9238611

Yes .. welcome home Betty !! Bet it was SO nice to sleep in your own bed ~~

ViAnn .. you've certainly been busy! We have yet to start pickling here, right now it's Blueberries and pies .. I must look for some peaches, haven't been out because of this damnable cough, which has me up AGAIN at 4am ..

Susan, hope your headache has dissipated. Almost sounds as though it was a migraine.

Off to choke down some cough medicine ..

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2012
3:20 AM

Post #9238625

And I woke up at 4:15 and didn't go back to bed because my back is bothering me after doing all those pickles - it's got a knot in it and I couldn't find a comfortable position.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 12, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9238895

Ouch to your back being sore Ann .. perhaps it's in spasm, that'll happen if you stand or sit in one position too long. Whatever the cause, I sure hope it feels better soon.

The cough medicine I took was effective, but, I won't be taking it again .. makes me feel 'odd' .. not into feeling that way .. the cough appears to be diminishing some, having said that, I'll probably get up from here, go to speak to someone and proceed to cough .. can't win!

Made one blueberry pie today .. and will likely do a couple to freeze and then cook .. I am totally NOT GOOD at that .. I cooked the last apple pie I made last October the other day .. cooked it at 410 F for an hour .. to me, the apples were still not cooked .. guess everyones oven is different, but, I sure hate ruining the pies ..
Maybe I'll post on the recipe forum for some tips .. seems to help sometimes.

Okay .. off I go

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 12, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9238929

Mouth watering you guys..love peach jam, love adding maraschino cherries to it, if nothing else it looks pretty. Roger and I would pickle for almost a month, hundreds od jars..I'd get so tired..now that I'm only one just not worth it..favorite is red chili and corn/cucumber relish. Hmm blueberry pie, drats now ill have to get dressed and see where I can find one..oops head just nodded off, maybe a nap might be better

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9238991

I add fresh ginger and rum to my peach jam. :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 12, 2012

Post #9239071

That is different!

Are you finding it difficult finding fruit this year due to the weather we've had?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 12, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9239467

Marilyn - please don't say the "m" word... I know of too many people that have them, and it's not fun, I know. My daughter used to go to bed, in a darkened room, and cry they were so painful...
I think it was just stress from thinking about applying for the position I'm currently temping in. Feel like I'm "twisting in the wind" about it. Never know from day to day which way my boss is going to be - I know she's liking me, and most of my work, but if she's stressed then I may not be able to keep her happy. There have been 5-6 in my position in the past 2 years. She's hard on herself, but equally hard on others. And I'm rather an intense person myself. Hence, I think, the headaches. Once I know, and can move onwards, I should be fine - one way or another (re:getting the job, I mean).

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #9239665

Peaches are more expensive than usual and in short supply due to late frost after our early spring.

Susan - that job sounds like a mixed blessing due to the stress you are under. Sounds like that boss could use some counseling. 5-6 in the position in 2 years? She should be getting the message.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 13, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9239707

I tend to agree with VAnn re your boss Susan. That many emploees in such a short period of time is kind of a 'red flag'.
Does your boss have a boss, or, is she middle management. Middle Management positions are always tough.

ViAnn, the peach jam with ginger and rum sounds awesome. I have seen few peaches here as of yet. I like to make one pie at least.

Watched the closing of the Olympics yesterday .. all I can say is 'overkill' ... I so want to say it was magnificent etc, but, I found it almost confusing so much was going on .. nice fireworks though. On to Brasil in 2016 ...

Hope everyone has a wonderful week .. Lorna's BDay on the 17th ...

Take care

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 13, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9239737

Morning all

No peaches anywhere here..will be on the lookout!

Just bought a muffin downstairs..buttertart muffin, still trying to decide if I like!

Ohh any special plans for Lorna's birthday..is she feeling better?

"M" if your cough continues let me know and I'll tell you what meds I took after months of hacking that rid me of it.

First morning back at work, lordy so wished I had a few days to rest but because I don't really work at work lol I'm sure I'll rest!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9239952

Peaches were cheaper today at the store, but they were also smaller for the same size basket, but not more in the basket.

Meant to say we are getting ready to take our old Porsche (1965 356C Cabriolet) to an event in Boston. Wish us comfortable and non rainy weather for driving - AC consists of zipping out the rear window. http://www.ech2012.com/ECH_2012_Holiday_Events.html It's a toy that DH picked up at the factory in 1965 and is completely original (including original stone chips) except for the soft top which we had to replace, which means lots of people who are restoring cars like to look at it.

Packing to travel in this car takes planning - can't just throw it into the suitcase as the suitcase won't fit. A couple of carry-on size bags will fit and there are nooks and crannies where things can be stuffed.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2012 10:47 AM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 13, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9240019

Praying for NO rain and sure looking forward to photo's
Enjoy the trip!!
Safe travels

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 13, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9240393

Travel safe and dry Ann .. I remember the pics of the car, quite compact. Enjoy the trip. I love Boston, especially the HUGE Weeping Willows!

Didn't get to town today, but, I also did NOT have a coughing fit .. so .. tomorrow I will go, and, hopefully find a basket of peaches.

Still having hot humid weather here .. a change may again pass through tomorrow. Fingers crossed on that one.

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 13, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9240677

my boss is middle management, and this is only her 2nd job in her lifetime! 30 years here, and 2 at a local college...
I spoke to others about the 5-6 in two years, and it seems the general consensus that it's poor choices/judgement on the part of HR... Both Darla & I are intense company-oriented people, so I think we'd be a good match.
Others left the job after a short time - one to go into the lucrative Oil & Gas at more $ and two others were too immature and didn't have a strong work ethic. The last one left after 10 months. Thought Darla was too hard on her. As Linda (the EA) said, I don't take things personally - I laugh right along with Darla cuz we share the same work ethic and humour. I just hope that Darla will realize 1 month at the job isn't enough for me to know it ALL lol
Realize of course that this is from my perspective, not Darla's. I don't presume to know her mind, but she relies on Linda's perspective, and Linda is "on my side". She wants to work with someone mature who shares the same work ethic and will support her, too.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 14, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9240884

Well let's hope it goes well..been a long road of jobs that haven't panned out, am sure if you got the position it would be to their benefit!

Damp here,lordy, as you walk the floors it feels so wet, dehumidifier can't keep up..

Hope it's a sunshine day for you all

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 14, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9240931

WELL ... we WERE getting ready to head into the city, but, I just spoke with a Gas company fella and they are ripping up our driveway at the end to replace the culvert .. now, I could have gotten dressed and bee bopped out and moved one of the vehicles, but, any of you with dogs will know what an EMERGENCY it was having this fella (And the others) on THEIR property !! They were jus barking like mad .. and really, I do not totally NEED to go to town .. I am due there tomorrow with the dogs for an 8am grooming appt, and Gord has an 8:30am docs appt .. so .. anything that needs to be done, can be done then.
Looks like another 'stay at home day' .. maybe I'll make more blueberry pies or whatever :-)

Susan .. I was 'middle management" for my Head Nurses Mat Leave one year .. holy cow and good grief, what a job I had pleasing EVERYONE .. those in my classification and those above it .. some days there's was more back stabbing going on than working .. very stressful indeed .. sometimes the increased wages didn't pay for my ROLAIDS LoL .. but, I learned a lot, mostly ..'keep quiet, and follow your gut feelings'

Lotsa back up beeping going on, and 2 wound up Westies 'ON GUARD' .. gonna be a barky day :-)

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 14, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9241413

OMG!!!!!!!!! I'm sure this will be on the news in your cities (maybe) .. but .. we have a COUGAR loose in the City of Thunder Bay.
3 hospital staff out for a smoke this morning behind the hosp in a wooded area got the scare of their life when they saw it, and, it was being aggressive to boot !!
As well .. there is a black bear hanging about the same area with an injured leg. Supposition is, the cougar attacked it .. so .. lots of folks on the lookout and taking care with their kids and animals ...
Animal lover that I am .. I concede that this migration of predators is OUR fault .. we have built far into the country, forced the deer into the city, and, with the deer, their predators .. it's only natural ..
Cruel lessons to be learned.

On a happier note .. we did get out today, got gas, and treated ourselves to the DAIRY QUEEN .. first time (and likely the last) this year .. love the Strawberry blizzard ^_^

Off to make a meat loaf .. about all the culinary OMMPHF I can muster tonight ..

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 14, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9241424

I'm sure you are taking precautions with your furries, best you keep an eye out when you are out and about n the yard have to agree, we are ruining our planet, sad isn't it!

Now you have me craving a strawberry sundae

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 14, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9241636

Just watched the local news, now they are thinking the COUGAR is likely a LYNX .. either way .. best beware..

Off to watch Corrie ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 14, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9241640

Both a danger..yep best beware!

Drats, wish it wasn't tv bingo tonight, sooo want to go to bed early..am sure it will take me a month to recoup.

Off again this weekend, gluten for punishment

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9241781

Yes, beware and stay safe. Keep your animals safe too.
We are off tomorrow in this car to Boston. Challenging to pack it and get everything in. We will leave the top up - no room to put it down when fully packed. Keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't rain. The AC consists of zipping out the rear window.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 14, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9241876

a lynx? Yikes! and we think We have problems with coyotes!!

Well, got some more thunderstorms today, while I was at work. Close on to being a tornado, the weather network said...
We had quite a dust storm - looking out from the 8th floor, we couldn't see the parking lot for the dust! and the windows were shaking! Then we got rain, and tiny hail. Glad it wasn't worse, but I think there must have been a car accident in the worst of the dust-up cuz an ambulance went by shortly afterwards.
Anyway, again no damage at home.
However... came home to having the water shut off at home. It was planned, and to be for 4 days at least. Not happy about it, but what do you do?!?! There's a leak somewhere in our neighbourhood, and the City can't find it so they're excavating...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 15, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #9242017

Dry travels Ann .. most of all .. have fun ^_^

Saw some footage of the Calgary rains yesterday, including the hail .. awful ...glad you're OK Susan, feel bad about the water situation though.
Also saw footage of the fires raging in Washington State and California .. WOW !!!! Devastating to say the least.

Off to the groomer with the dogs, they are WAY overdue !!

Take care

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 15, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9242136

Ohhh ViolaAnn, how much fun it must be to travel down the highways in such magnificent wheels..mint condition for sure! You can always purchase what you need enroute..

Yikes, quite the storm for sure!

Sunshine here but they are calling for rain in the next few days..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 15, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9242517

Quite the day .. it was funny though ..
The dogs were booked for 8am, and Gord had an 8:30am docs appt.
I remember commenting that this was odd as our doctor has never had appts that early. He was SURE .. I was good with that.
Dropped the dogs off, and sped off to the docs office .. pulled into the lot at 8:25am, Gord ran (as much as his knee would let him) into the building.
10 minutes later he's back to the car .. says no one is there .. I asked him if he had a slip with the date and time on it .. yep he did .. I looked at it and LOL .. here it was the dog groomers reminder card he had been looking at.
Long story short .. he saw the doc about 9:50am .. after that I demanded he buy me breakfast ..
Got home, searched through his paper work, and, sure enough, there was the proper appt reminder .. his appt was at 1040am !!

Warm/humid day here .. thunderstorms in the forecast for tonight ..

No Cougar as of yet, just lots of people noticing the leaves changing on the trees.
There's one particular Maple I watch by the University .. looked at the tippety top today, and, sure enough .. several bunches of burgundy leaves .. Made me want to stop and yell 'HALT" !!!

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 15, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9242525

OMG, lol, leave it to a man!!!

Noticing some of the trees here as well, usually it's mid September and here it is August and they are starting..wondering if some of it is just brown from being dry?

Your furries look pretty?

Hopefully that's the end of the cougar!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 15, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9243098

lol Marilyn - yes, just like a man lol
I noticed some leaves falling here... from the hail LOL There are wet leaves all over the place!!! and some tree branches of course, from the wind.
Seriously though, I did see some yellow leaves about a week ago, on the ground. Enough to think - "getting to be fall already?"

One of the workers at the excavation site said water leak fix and water tested for use, etc, should be done by suppertime Friday. Hope so. City will issue passes to the neighbourhood swimming pool to have showers, go swimming and their fitness center! I like that, but still... to have to have a shower a couple of miles from home... siiiiiiigh.
Well, I'm going to have a shower at work in the am, then go swimming tomorrow evening. We get one per day, so need to get a new one tomorrow after work.
Tonight Bob went to the water truck and got 2 camping size water bottles filled, then I cooked corn on the cob, and then I made a cold pasta salad.
The salad is going to work tomorrow. One of the ladies last day is tomorrow as she's going on Matt Leave. Due on Labour Day - Sept 3rd lol labour day... lol Think she's going to be earlier, and she's carrying very low.

Well, going to sleep early, so I can get up early to shower at the fitness center at work...

Sweet dreams everyone, and Betty... get over that bug, please!?!?!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 16, 2012
12:42 AM

Post #9243155

Morning, guess laying down after work and sleeping doesn't make for a full nights rest. Already watched Law & Order, now NCIS!

Susan, what an inconvenience,,let's hope that was the only leak and you've water by the weekend.

FAll is definately in the air, hard to believe we will soon be talking about winterizing everything..not for a bit but it is coming quickly.

Susan, I'm not ill, just tired from little sleep and long drive over 9 days...not as young as I once was!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 16, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9243205

Susan, it's such an inconvenience for you and the others to have to go out to shower .. sure do hope the water fix is quick !!
Enjoy the 'Pre labour Day birthing party' .. would imagine if she's carrying low she doesn't go anywhere unless there's a bathroom real close by.

We are celebrating Lorna's BDay today, one day early .. having Swiss Chalet and a cake .. tomorrow we're just going to do some shopping and take it easy .. does anyone EVER 'take it easy'? LoL

Waiting to hear what's up re the 'Cougar' situation .. one of the Malls we are going to is in the 'RED ZONE' of where its been seen ..

Betty .. Gord got some of that 'magic cough syrup' yesterday .. I have yet to try it .. he slept ALL night .. no cough !!!
I have to be a bit careful as I am on high blood pressure meds .. not sure if I should take it ...

Off n running

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 16, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9243242

I'm on blood pressure pills and was able to take it..didn't take as much as they recommended, didn't need to but Lordy it tricks the brain

Yummy Swiss Chalet, can't go wrong with that meal..have one across from mall here..expensive for everyday lunch but do treat myself from time to time.

Have fun shopping!!

Took my car in for oil change..doesn't take me long to get those miles up. Lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 16, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9243848

Swiss Chalet was nummy .. and the cake was awesome .. fresh strawberries and custard filling .. don't have to make supper tonight ^_^

SHOPPING .. akkkkkkkkkk .. I feel Thunder Bay is a HUB for bad drivers !!! Lordy, passing on hills and double lines, veering out of side streets .. glad to get home in one piece..

Spoke to my Pharmacist, he feels I'll be fine taking some of the cough concoction LoL .. probably have to during the night sometime ..

WINDY and cool here .. maybe 15C going down to 7C tonight ..

Attaching a pic of the BDay cake an Lorna and myself, and, of course, the 2 VERY hungry pups who shared a small slice ... LoL

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 16, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9244037

Happy Early Birthday, Lorna!!
lol hungry pups wanted cake, eh?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 17, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9244356

Believe it or not, both Lilly and Piper KNOW what a birthday cake is, and, that they can expect a treat :-)

Whoa .. it's 6C this morning .. talk about a shock to the system .. sure hope the veggies are going to be OK .. so many tomatoes yet to ripen.

As always, off and running here .. who said retirement bring boredom !!

Including a pic of Lorna with Brooklyn and Austin .. great kids ..

Betty, hope you are feeling more rested

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 17, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9244980

~M~ the kids look great, and Marilyn looks happy to have them around!
it was 7c this am when I woke up, now it's 28c! I really don't know how the plants here take this up/down in the weather. It's crazy!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 17, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9245091

Goodness those kids have grown..adorable.
Would think they are very special to Lorna and Lorna to them...almost like having 2 grandma's!!

Worked from home today, got housework done by 1:00 and sewed till 3:00 when my shift was over...wind came up, think it got to 76 but I felt cold. Lol. Imagine!

I hadn't cut grass for 2 weekends as I was away, with leaving once again for the weekend it just had to get done..back had thick long grass, had to do some raking..by the time I got the back done my body said 'enough'. Talk about sore..

The front and sides will have to wait till I get back Sunday unless a little elf comes and surprises me..just check the weather channel calling for rain Sunday so guess I should have finished the job

Ohhh well, not the end of the world.

Can't believe how late my phlox are, some still flowering..not much else in the gardens, all the fall mums wont be in bloom for some time yet..imagine the splendor if everything bloomed a once.

Susan, was hoping water problems would be over by now seeing as they found the leak..drats, long time with no water.

Well, guess if I want to get up early to pack and be ready by 9:30 I'd best go to bed..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 17, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9245308

Letter came tonight saying they'll have our water back on late tomorrow afternoon. We can't drink or use it for cooking though. BUT can use it for all the washing up we need - dishes, laundry, us...and the toilet, of course lol
Silly City - wrote their letter, and enclosed information from Alberta Health. City says - once water is running again, run it for 1 hour before using. Information from Alberta Health (stapled to the letter from the City) says - run it for 1 minute or more before using...
City = ONE HOUR???? I don't think so...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 18, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9245416

ONE HOUR !! Boy oh boy .. I tend to think that is more the a bit off the wall Susan.
Here it was 3 minutes.
Just nice to hear your water will be back ^_^

I mowed inside the dogs enclosure Betty, lordy, had to rake as well and it's only been 6 days since it was mowed!! I put 'winter rye' seed down and jeepers did it take on the winter , and doggy burned out, places! Course this cooler weather is very good for growing grass ..

It was to have rained here last night and most of today, I am typing this as the dogs lounge around in their compound and the sun pours through the window behind me .. as always, the bad weather slipped south of us during the night ..

Best get at the laundry .. enjoy your mini holiday Betty :-)

Have a great weekend everyone

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 18, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9245623

Marilyn - I just checked with the office - they still say One Hour. They're going to run water out of the fire hydrants, then we need to run for 1 hour, too. Get rid of the e-coli, and wormy things... yuck.
gawd, I feel "skanky". It's so hot. Think I'll pop down to the swimming pool. It's going to be 30c today and must be most of the way to that now...geeze, it says 19c now... I don't Think So... It's 11am now.
Only thing about the pool is it's Saturday, and all the kids are going to be there, as it's so hot...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 19, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9246265

5C this morning, I was afraid I'd see FROST when I went outside, but thankfully NO !
Seems like summer ended on day at 4pm and fall arrived.

Susan, I just can't imagine over 100 people running away water for over an hour .. almost seems immoral with all the droughts going on.
But, I guess it must be the way to go, as wasteful as it is.
Hope the pool wasn't too full of kids.

Have a SUPER Sunday ^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 19, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9246750

Marilyn - 180 homes... x 1 hour running water - hot & cold, medium pressure.
Haven't been to the pool - it would be crazy busy with the temps in the 30c's... (with the humidex)
We just "toughed it out" and I had showers at work. Poor Bob though... he just used hot water in the sink...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 19, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9246888

Beautiful fall day here "M", finally talked myself to get off the couch (was away for better part of weekend' tired/tired) started to rake, grass was long as it I cut grass weekend before I left on vacation, so more like 3 weeks not cut..thought at same time I'd burn the pit filled with weeds/stalks/branches from a storm, started to light it, down comes the rain for all of 5 minutes, just enough to make it damp and I cannot burn..back to the couch.

So hoping next weekend will be filled with nothing's

Susan, here is hoping water issues will be behind you. When is your last day at work?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 19, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9246905

I meant to ask you Betty .. how's your son, Jeff and friend Julie doing on their adventure? Is Julie's back still bothering her .. hope not ..

A brisk fall like day here today. Was nice to be able to get out on the MULE and drive around a bit. Boy is there ever lots of grown up areas .. when the leaves fall and the foliage is lessening we are going to really have to look at making more trails .. it's impossible in the summer. Then, we get way in the back, and Lorna says,"did they ever catch that Cougar'!!! LoL .. suffice to say I wanted to go back to home base.

Nothing much I can say about that water deal Susan .. if I lived there I'd be calling my local Councilor or the Mayor to ask why.

Busy upcoming week, Betty, I hope you're able to get at your grass ..
Am attaching a pic of part of the front of the house after Lorna mowed and trimmed it all out .. takes her about 4-5 hours to tackle the lawns and do the trimming, but, she LOVES it ..

TTFN

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 19, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9246928

"M" Lorna should be a professional landscaping..that is some acreage she tends to. Lol about the cougar..bet it didn't take long for the Mule to reach home. Tremendous amount of work clearing trails but so worth it to get to ride them..when I was at the farm we had acres of trails leading to a huge pond,had a trailer there and we would head off on the weekens to the tailor..took us all of 5 minutes..miss those days, well parts of them anyway!

Julie did have mega problems with her back, they kayaked about a week, then took pontoon boat out for the better part of a week then took their bikes to Niagara on the lake for several days..holidays over and they are back into busy schedules.

Holidays just don't last long enough do they..

Did get front/side yard done, 1/2 of the weeding then realized trimmer was out of cord so guess yard duty is over!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 19, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9247058

My last work day is Friday, and I'm taking off at noon to go camping.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 20, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9248069

Another majorly nice day .. NO appts and beautiful temps .. 21C It was nice to get out and enjoy the yard, even got some windows washed.

Betty, the inevitable part of holidays, is, their END .. it's such a bummer to have to go back to structured life.

Hope your week goes fast for you Susan ..

Messin about with a stir fry, best get to it

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 20, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9248126

Co-worker said I should ask Darla if she is extending my contract, as there is no replacement. I suppose even a "bad" worker is better than none LOL Not that I'm a "bad" worker - just not Darla's "cup of tea" for technical parts of Office (ie: PowerPoint tables...).

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 20, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9248184

Wouldn't that be nice if she did Susan..even a few more weeks would help!

Beautiful here as well "m"' but fall is in the air. This mornimg I was up just before the alarm was to go off at 5:30 and for about an hour after I kept looking at the clock thinking it was wrong..so dark out.

Kyle and hismmommjust came to get my car so that Kyle can do his drivers test in it..just called and have to come back, seems the insurance slip is in my purse and not the car..I think there is one in it as well but they say no.

taking the grandsons stateside in a few weeks as a grandma and the boys outing, the Going to Frankenmuth Mi to meet up with dg friends in oct. then again to Frankenmuth for Xmas shopping with the girls then to Floridanfor a few weeks at Christmas so need all the days I can save for then..if it weren't for a paycheck I think I'd enjoy staying home lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 20, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9248284

how nice to take the GSs stateside! Sure you'll have a fabulous time, and Christmas Shopping as well!
I'm sure you Would like to stay home lol BUT, at "work" you get to focus on one of your crafts, whereas at home you're "pulled" so many different ways lol Do I know you, Betty? I like to think I do lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 21, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9248696

I believe you hit my way of life/personality to a 't' lol

Calling for a glorious week and back to high temps on the weekend

Odd, fingers are kind of numb, then tingly for a bit..maybe I slept the wrong way..

so what exciting do you have planned for the day!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 21, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9248982

How are your fingers now Betty? Sounds like a pinched nerve?

What an awesome day here .. went in to pick up prescriptions, dontcha know I got all the way back home, one was missing, called Shoppers , OOPS .. they MISSED it in the box :-(
So, back I go tomorrow, ahh well ..

Went to Penningtons to buy a slip .. SLIP .. nobody wears a SLIP anymore I'm told .. sheeesh .. I have purchased 2 dresses that really would 'hang better' if there were a slip underneath .. so .. off to Sears I guess

Had to stop at Timmies for porridge of course .. YUMMY stuff LoL .. this Tims now has a DOUBLE take out drive through .. I remember saying last winter how awful it is to sit in line with all the fumes, Carol commented how it's the same in the summer but we just can't see the fumes because of the temps .. miss Carol's input on 'stuff'.
I lost a young friend to cancer over the weekend .. Michael was just 37. Here's more on this tireless fighter ..
http://michaelantcliffe.com/

Outside I go for a bit ..

Enjoy

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 21, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9249065

Marilyn - I would wear a slip with a light summer dress - you're right, it would "hang" better... Likely will find them at Sears.
I am so sorry you've lost a friend to cancer - just 37?!?! very young...

Yes, Betty - I'm the same way... take me away from distractions, and I can focus lol
Bob & I found a lovely little B&B in our neighbourhood, and we're going to book a room for Oct 5th (close to our actual anniversary of Oct 10th, but weekend!)
Here's a link to it
http://www.tuxedohousebb.com/#

btw - I found out today that I'm at this job for at least another week. They haven't found anyone for the job yet, so here I stay until they do.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 21, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9249275

Wonderful news Susan...let's hope a few more weeks after that as well!

Oooh you'll feel special staying there for sure..great place to spend an anniversary.

"m" we were near Linsay on the weekend, cottage country, drive through beyond belief and line up out the door by at least 20.. Thought this is stupid but there I stood. Lol. I've tried the porridge at ours, yuk, not good..hmmm. Maybe I'll give it another try as I do like porridge.

I'm hooked on Wendy's fresh berry salad though

Drats on the prescription

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 21, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9249332

Good news Susan .. but .. it must make you kind of ansty ..
The B&B looks wonderful .. hope you enjoy your time there, lovely grounds ...

Betty, have seen the berry salad on TV, but haven't tried it.
Jeeze, you'd think the porridge would be kind of 'standard' ? The 3 loactions I have tried it at here are all wonderful. Like you, I do like good oatmeal ^_^
The script deal is a bummer, BUT, tomorrow is the day the Polish Legion sells it's perogies and chicken, so, NO COOKING tomorrow night YAY !!
Went online re the slip, Sears does have them .. so .. will likely go there too .. also have to look for shoes .. as Betty would say "drats".
I rarely wear a DRESS, now have to 'pretty up' 2 of them ..

Off to watch CORRIE ...

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 21, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9249388

Marilyn - re: length of job... I'm so tired of feeling "antsy" that I just shrug my shoulders and get on with life. They either want me to stay longer, or they don't. At this point I no longer care one way or another. Sometimes I feel like a marionette puppet, but I'm getting the bills paid, right?!?! lol

Looking forward to staying at the B&B - just over a month until our anniversary! Oct 10th... 14 years

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 21, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9249561

Then I'd best keep the 2 slips I have in a drawer under lock and key!! Imagine, what is the world coming to...

Lol, isnt it grand when you dont have to cook..i rarely do, seem to put on the beef anyway. I cooked turkey on Sunday just for me..so far that has been Sunday,Monday and Tuesday supper. Who knows pwerhaps it will be Wednesday,Thursday and Friday nights supper as well.

Susan, even though it's close to home it makes it even nicer, no long drive to contend with...that a girl, no sense worrying about what you can't change..

Eyes are droopy, time for bed

Night all!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 22, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9250414

WAHOO!! I got a slip at Sears .. expensive little number, but, a FULL slip none the less ^_^
Looked at shoes, will delve into that whirlpool later this week .. seems there's lots of parents out there shopping with kids for back to school clothing and shoes.

32C here today .. summer is hanging on by its teeth ...

Hope everyone enjoyed their day

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 22, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9250463

Oh happy days "M" search now over! Lol. Often go to Walmart/mall during lunch but not the next week or so, school shoppers out in masses. Went to staples today, that was a big mistake.

Nicer weather expected for the weekend, best enjoy before that white stuff starts.

How's the garden?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 22, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9250617

Between our many bouts of hail, the heat, and add to that the fact we didn't have water for gardens for 4 days... well, my garden doesn't look too healthy.

Betty - having the B&B near home is a major "plus" so we're both happy with that, and it really does look charming. We only have one anniversary per year, and I'm determined to enjoy my life with Bob. At our age (58 & 62), I'm not "borrowing trouble" but I am aware that anything could happen (especially as Bob's in construction), and I do not want to squander our time together.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 23, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9250885

Looks to be another stellar day .. we were told to expect rain overnight, but, as is usual, it never materialized.

The veg garden is looking pretty bleak, darmed weeds .. but, we have had new potatoes and peas and lots of lettuce and tomatoes .. waiting on carrots.
The flowers gardens seem to be enjoying the cooler nights ..

Susan, is your water back on now ? What a blessing that will be ..

Off for coffee with Jo Jo this morning .. nice Tims doesn't throw us out after we have been sitting chatting and giggling for 90 minutes !!
She has just come back from a wedding in BC .. that after her trip to Europe .. she is bound and determined to enjoy herself before she can't .. not that she has an impending illness, but, advancing age does pose some restrictions that sometimes never become apparent until POOF .. they happen !!

Have a good one

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 23, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9251788

Marilyn - funny you should ask about the water...
We got our water back last Sat afternoon, then they shut it off for 2 hours. Have had it ever since...Just got a notice in our mailbox - they found 2 new leaks, and will be doing excavation starting Saturday - BUT we're going tenting, so won't be home! They say they're going to shut the water off Monday at 8am to 6pm... so we're working, but will be home by 5pm, so hope the water's back on again at 6pm...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 24, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #9251931

morning..

Chilly now first thing in the morning..brrrr. Sunshine city for the next 3 days, does feel nice though!

Working from home today, that is always a plus...

Susan sure hope you have our weather for camping..drats still have that mini trailer I bought 3 seasons ago and never used..wish you were closer you could use it!

Tim Hortons are good that way, see so many groups who meet there and I'm sure there is no profit for them I'm sure.

Need to run and get a few groceries before my day starts at 8:30
Will teach me not to buy more than for a few days..just through out half of what I bought last weekend. With convenience of having Foodland only blocks away it's more practical to pick up as needed.

Post office opens at 8..got notification that they tried to deliver a parcel yesterday..ordered a quilt frame that can be used on regular sewing machine...gadgets, let's hope this is as seen on video and just the thing I need to get a few more Christmas pressies done and not something I'll have to store

Wonder how VilaAnn's vacation is going/went

"M" like you am missing Carol..when I open this thread I think of her.
Enjoy your day everyone

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 24, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9251941

TGIF ^_^
Huge thunder storm rattled through here last night between midnight and 4am. Poor Piper, he seems to think I'm the one to keep him safe. I hold him and talk to him and, yes, I sing to him and cover his ears when the thunder booms LoL
Seems to have all gone east of us now though.
Have an appt with the prosthetist today .. Lorna's prosthesis needs to be adjusted .. have to say she's getting better with walking .. she isn't a patient person though.
Yesterday while I was out she got on her Mule and did some tree shaping, gosh, she does a wonderful job.

You'll be glad when this water situation is fixed Susan .. good thing it isn't January !!

Hope your quilt do dad is all it is supposed to be Betty .. I have a closet filled with OOPSIES that I have ordered or purchased and that have not been quite what I expected .. should give them to my DinL to sell at a yard sale.

Hope everyone has a great weekend ...

Cheers

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 24, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9252049

Know I'm not alone "M" in the gadget buying department but this one was on the expensive side for ooopppsies. Lol. Yep send it to a garage sale to make more $$$ for more gadgets..one is bound to work!

Trying to see what I have that I can try it on, no sense trying to put it together until then.

Wonderful that Lorna is dong so well..send her my way please, could use some landscaping tips..she can sit and just tell me what has to be done.

See that Canadian tire has lawn leaf vacuum and mulched on sale for $150. I know I'd be at their door when my shift is over if I knew it wasn't another gadget and it would work..find hard doing all the raking..maybe emptying the mulched leaves is more trouble than it is worth. Maybe I'll go look at it when my shift is over at 3pm..does Lorna know anything about them

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 24, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9252321

One of the first things Lorna purchased when she moved here was a leaf blower, gas powered back pack kind.
I had never seen one used .. all I can say is WOW !! They work well .. but, you MUST wear ear protection and eye protection because these blowers really DO blow the stuff around. Lorna' purchased a Commercial grade one as there is so much property to leaf blow on ..
I tried it once and felt like I was gonna take off and fly LoL
Lorna isn't a fan of the leaf vaccum .. she says plain old mulching is the best.

Lordy is it H O T here today .. 32C I do believe ..

Lorna's parents and some friends are at Georgian Downs today Betty .. we chose a horse to put a couple of dollars on .. we never win ..

Hope your new 'gizmo' worked for ya

Susan .. enjoy your weekend ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 24, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9252356

You've acres and acres thought " M" so commercial you must have.
Just starting to feel my age..just can't even think about raking this year but promised myself no leaving leaves till spring.

Nice evening out a greorgian downs..food tasty beyond belief..maybe this time you will be lucky!

Didn't even take it out of the box, sewed for a bit putting a piece together so I can try it then gave up to lay on the chesterfield

sailor is having a rough day, panting like crazy, breathing off, just can't bare the thought of bringing her in for a final ride but today I'm thinking I should.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 25, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9253004

Here comes the BLAZING sun again ! Sounds awful I know, but pretty sick of the air conditioning coming on at 8am because the house has gotten so warm .. way too early in the day. Wouldn't be so bad, but, the humidity is not fun to contend with.

Betty, don't envy you the trip with Sailor .. always lurks in the back of my mind with our furries, but, I shove the thought away.

Lorna's folks LOVE the fish and chops at Georgian Downs .. they didn't win anything, but, a good time was had by all ..

Laundry on the go .. have 'to do lists' to try and accomplish.
I would imagine ViAnn will be home soon?
There is a huge contingent of classic cars here in TBay .. driving from coast to coast ..

Best get 'at it'

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 25, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9253007

Sunny here as well "m"

A 10:30am appt for Sailor..not looking forward to perhaps a long trip home alone

Wiping tears

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 25, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9253026

Thinking about you, and hugging you as you care for your precious friend and companion.
If you do ride home alone, know that Carol and Fancy are with you both.

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 25, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9253183

fancy and Carol did ride home with me, told me to be brave..sent you all hugs!

This message was edited Aug 25, 2012 3:16 PM

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 25, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9253343

DOUBLE extra large hugs from all of us here Betty.
She's just gone ahead and will wait for you until you come to her.

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 25, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9253351

Mega headache, tried sleeping but no go..thought fresh air would help but not..
Hard decision, I'm sure it best for her

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 25, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9253494

As pet owners we are blessed with being able to have a pet as a trusted companion.
When the final decision has to be made, how fortunate are we that we are able to end their suffering and let them have peace.
You made the right decision Betty.
You will need to grieve, and then, you will be thankful for the memories that pass by and make you smile.

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 25, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9253856

A Dg friend sent me the following, too precious not to share
about plans

A Dog's Purpose (from a 6-year old).

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolf hound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what wa s going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why.' Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?' The Six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

Live simply.

Love generously.

Care deeply.

Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy..

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY

This message was edited Aug 27, 2012 1:44 AM

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 26, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9253972

'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'

The Six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'
WHat a beautiful piece Betty .. made me smile.
All of my Rainbow Bridge pets, and there are quite a few, are likely helping Sailor learn the ropes.

We had RAIN glorious RAIN last night .. going to be another humid day though.
Off to get groceries around 8:30am .. decided to make a Beef Stroganoff.

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 26, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9253981

Morning, for nights I listened to Sailor having trouble breathing, last night I lay awake, the quiet was deafening!

Up early, packed Sailors balls, cookies etc and will give them to a neighbor.

The reddest of day break, spectacular..no rain so have the sprinkler on, gardens needed a good drink.

Bought that unit "M" that sucks up leaves/twigs and mulches..worth a try. Asked a few at Canadian tire and ne says her stepfather thinks its the best thing since sliced bread.

See that a milk farm in Creemore just set up a system to sell milk in the old fashion bottles..will check further to see where they will be sold. Can you remember, not many will, when you would set your bottles out, with tickets you had purchased for the milk and milkman would pick up and drop of more bottles..ahhh to have those care free days back.

Thinking of opening that quilt frame box to see if I can put it together..would keep me busy..

Can you make extras stroganoff for me..best I did yesterday was make Kraft dinner!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 26, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9254440

Hopefully the silence in the house will become a bit easier to take as the days pass.
Sure hope the leaf chewer works for you .. sounds good to me .. Lorna is a leaf blower .. mind you, there's lots of places to blow them here ..

I remember the glass milk bottles .. the cream used to rise to the top in the winter .. my Mom always saved it for baking ^_^

Had a surprise today, looked out and saw a strange truck in the driveway .. a beauty .. here it's Gordon .. he had been hinting he was going to buy a NEW truck, and darned if he didn't. It's a 2013 GMC Sierra .. loaded .. very nice vehicle
Am attaching a picture .. now the dogs will have their own seats in the back LoL

This beef stroganoff is easy peasy :-)

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 26, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9254550

Ohhh she's a beauty "M". Bet he is smiling from ear to ear.surprise/surprise..dogs will be ever so comfy

Had forgotten about the cream on top

Kyle took me for a spin n his new wheel..jeep, doors off/roof off and music just a blaring. Lol

Kyle put together the leaf vacuum/mulcher..only a few leaves but it did mulch..won't be ble to really tell until leaves fall

Got a new self propelled lawnmower, good price at end of season sale..kyle got it going so out to cut grass..calling for rain tomorrow

And oooohhh quilting fame is a gem..pat came and we tried it, she was impressed..few tweaks needed to workspace but am sure I'll love it..

Grass is calling!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 26, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9254702

((((((((Betty))))))) wasn't too long ago when we had to make that difficult decision with Baby, our cat. So feel for you...
You might want to edit that long post to take out the phone #s...
Gee, wish we lived closer too... would love to use your mini trailer! I think I was the one to encourage you to buy it (blush)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 26, 2012
10:45 PM

Post #9254952

Edited Susan..guess when you say select all in dmail box it copies every box

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 26, 2012
10:54 PM

Post #9254955

I guess so - not to worry. You know how many errors I've made in chat, eh?! lol Guess that makes us all human, huh?!?!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 27, 2012
3:32 AM

Post #9255016

Not really considered an error, just copied/pasted..done it a zillion times..who would have known dmails are different!!!

Raining ever so softly, gardens are smiling..one less chore for me tonight.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 27, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9255044

Grumble, grumble .. if you believe it, I'm grumbling because of MORE sun and heat/humidity .. I've about HAD it .. you don't realize (until it happens), just how that kind of weather affects you when it becomes a daily thing as opposed to something that happens once in a while over the summer ..

This week is a MUST in the shoe dept for me, as my nursing reunion is this coming weekend .. wish me luck ..

I had thought I had made an error with the new picture upload method on Daves, but, I see the 2 pics came out OK

Hoping to get this day off to any early start .. how was the camping Susan ?

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 27, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9255481

too short, Marilyn
Seems we were hardly set up (Friday night) when we had to disassemble everything... (Sunday morning)... otherwise was good. Will wait until next year to go to Sleepy Hollow though - there are road crews there, and it's noisy at night when they finish for the day...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 27, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9255564

think the sun is finally coming out, light rain all morning

you should have partied right along with them Susan!!! you know who would do that lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 27, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9255609

YAHOO!!!!!!!! Payless Shoes to the rescue .. and here I didn't even know we had one in TBay.
Jo mentioned it to me, and I went in at 1005 and walked out at 1020 with a pair of shoes LoL
PLUS .. great service (friendly)

Susan, back in the day, when we camped on Northern Light Lake .. we were up until all hours, I sometimes think about the other campers who weren't yearly 'regulars' .. we tended to be a HAPPY group .. and our campfires were a bit boisterous, to say the least.
Nobody ever complained though, and, usually the non regular campers were invited over to the campfire.

Clouds have moved in and we have a HIGH today of 23C instead of 30C .. whew .. a break in the humidity.

Off to take Lorna's wee car to the mechanic .. the 'engine' light is on .. the car rarely gets used .. but nice to have here when her parents come as it gives them a reliable set of wheels .. free ^_^
It's a Chevy Cavalier, 1998 !! Kinda long in the tooth .. but way low mileage.

TTFN

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9255638

Been mostly MIA and just now read of Betty's loss. I'm so sorry to hear about Tailor and I know he will be missed. Hugs from here.

Been trying to catch up on a lot of things, not to mention the garden. Well, no gardening today - we just had a really hard rain and it will be much too wet. But I've edited my hosta pics and am about to upload 2012 pics to my SmugMug galleries. But the existing galleries were getting too large; so I had to revamp the structure and add more A, B, C, D-E, F, G-H, I-K, L, M-O, P-Q, R, S, T-U, V-Z. I hope that structure might do for next year too. I've got the links to all the galleries up, but I still have to fix the table of contents for each gallery and link from one to the next as well as uploading the new pics.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 27, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9255680

Thank you ViolaAnn, she'll be missed..was just her I got to tell about my day, now I'll have to talk to myself!!!

Ohhh can you link to your gallery once you finish your updating??? would so love to see photo's.

Sunny outside now, rain will do wonders for the lawn..glad I cut it last night..was more please with the self propelled lawnmower I bought, yikes I ran around the yard following it and did it almost in 1/2 the time.

"M", we have a payless in Midland, never find anything but am soooo glad you did! Now you've a slip and shoes, hope you have the dress lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 27, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9255749

Hi ViAnn! You sound like you're really really really busy with the SmugMug galleries!! BYTM!!

Betty & Marilyn - when I only have 2 nights camping and at my age (as you said ~M~ "back in the day" and I'm not in those days anymore LOL) I need some sleep to get over the running around & setting up the campsite & tent.
'Fraid I just can't burn the candle at both ends anymore... I worked Friday morning, packed the truck when we got home, 2 1/2 hour drive, then set up at 6-9:30pm (without supper), so was exhausted by 11:00 (which is quiet time, as per camp rules). I just wanted to go to sleep... We had a cold supper at 10pm and a campfire, then off to bed.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 27, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9256051

I hear ya on the peace and quiet aspect of camping Susan .. hope the other folks weren't too loud.

LOL Betty .. I have 2 dresses which is why I had to go in search of shoes, slip yadda yadda .. why I bought these DRESSES is anyones best guess, oh ya, they were on sale ^_^
Good news on the mower ..

Off to a small community just east of us to do some family visiting tomorrow. Should be a nice drive along Lake Superior .. an hour there and back. and a couple of hours of coffee and conversation in between .. will bring my trusty tea bag (or 2) with me, just in case.

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 27, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9256105

Well, quite the day today - I got to work, there was nothing to do but filing (3 files) and put 2 inter-office envelopes into the mail, pack up some binders, and my desk (they're moving whomever gets the job to another desk).
When I was finished at noon, I told the manager (my boss, the director, wasn't in today) I was leaving, so she must have told HR that as there was no work that today was my last day. I just got the email from the agency saying they didn't know what was up, and for me to call tomorrow...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 27, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9256150

What a roller coaster ride you are on Susan, here's hoping you get answers tomorrow.

I've all but given up on dresses "M" to the point I feel uncomfortable in them. Lol

Enjoy your family visiting tomorrow, calling for nice weather right? Taking the new wheels?

Was listening to weather channel, see they say we will have a hotter than normal fall and likely we will be having Thanksgiving at the picnic table? Oh happy days

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 27, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9256207

I don't wear dresses on windy days, and that's most days here in Calgary!! When it's calm in the am, it picks up gale force in the pm LOL
Roller coaster ride, eh? Well... I asked Bob last night if I should be an "at home wife" and could take care of him while he looks after the finances LOL I have to laugh or I'd scream! LOL

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 28, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9256558

Susan .. your position isn't one I'd want to be in .. when I go to work, that's exactly what I want to do .. work .. and .. I don't want to have to putz around finding something to do.
I had about a 3 month span like that once. The unit I was on was being renovated, so, we would come to work and either be reassigned, or, told to 'find something to do' ..
Frustrating.

Yep, we'll be driving in the new truck down the lake shore .. looks to be a nice day .. 23C .. must enjoy it as back up into the 30s for the next few days .. I can almost envision Thanksgiving dinner as you described it Betty !!

Just looked at the path of Hurricane Issac .. how scary is THAT !!!!

Have a good day all

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
4:12 AM

Post #9256564

Dresses - haven't worm them in years. No make that decades. I'm a different size top and bottom; so I'll go for separates.

Must say that I had a post nearly written a few days ago but when searching for a link, got sidetracked and managed to lose everything. I'll try to do better.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 28, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9256647

Likely that is why I don't wear dresses as well, besides, as I age I like being comfortable.

It's overcast and feels like rain, haven't listened to my forecast too busy keeping tabs on Isaac and DG friends safety..

Thank goodness he didn't arrive a few weeks ago when I was there..feel badly, I just to love the french quarter, likely they'll be flooded if Isaac continues as he is

"M" you just might have the same kind of weather..I'd miss winter but wouldn't miss if it would be just 2 to 3 months long instead of 4

Didn't sleep well again last night, 4 in a row, 2 more days then 4 off..thought maybe Sunday I'd treat myself and take a drive to Meaford, I always enjoy doing that..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 28, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9256752

Marilyn - when the boss says "if you've nothing to do, you can leave", I take that literally. As she wasn't there, it was up to the manager to make the decision, and she got "ticked" apparently. Ah well, try to save the company $$ as requested, and someone else took it otherwise I guess... I sent an email to the Agency to forward on to Darla (my boss at the contract) so she knows about things like the location of a key for a file cabinet, contacts that have been made/waiting for an answer etc. Who knows...they might call me back for a day to straighten out things I should have been given time to do before I left. It's a 50/50 shot that I will be called back because Darla didn't make the decision or if she did, she didn't have all the information to base it on as she was away.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 28, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9257337

Susan .. I hope everything turns out OK with the job situation ..

ViAnn and Betty .. after all this fallderal re dresses, I am now looking at 'pants outfits' I have .. like you I go for comfort, and, I think being in a dress (totally not me) would not be comfortable .. woman's perogative is to change her mind, right ^_^

The small trip along the lake was wonderful .. got to see relatives we hadn't seen in years .. children sure do grow up when you're not looking LoL

As expected, a really nice day .. 23-24C .. I am watching Issac with baited breath as the folks in New Orleans see if the levies will hold ..
Betty, I sure hope your friends are alright .. lucky you went when you did.

Take care

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 28, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9257350

It's 28c here, now... humidex of 30c I believe...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9257720

Marilynne - you might as well go for a pants outfit. There are some really nice ones and they can be much more comfy. But I do like a good skirt sometimes. I needed an outfit for a wedding in June. I took a friend with me and we went to a store I've never been to. 30 minutes later, I had a black skirt, black top and jacket. I never would have tried the jacket on, but it was what pulled everything together. So far I've worn it at 2 weddings, a memorial service and 2 banquets. Here it is last Thursday after the city hall wedding of the friend who helped me pick it out. The hat was something I picked up later and decided would go well with the outfit.

Welll when I figure out where Windows 7 (which I don't much like) has saved the pic, I'll send it along.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9257735

Hi again,

OK, I'm still working on my hosta galleries. Only A and B are nearly finished. But I've been messing around with a new background theme and I'm having trouble deciding. I was going to go with Forest and most of the pages are in that, but I don't really like the white text. So, all of these pages have different backgrounds.

A: http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas/Hostas-in-my-garden-A/7617361_qL3gHS
B: http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas/Hostas-in-My-Garden-B/25027715_mgWVPG
C: http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas/Hostas-in-my-garden-C/18748773_TpJkWk
D-E: http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas/Hostas-in-my-garden-D-E/25028150_Jpqxm9

F: http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas/Hostas-in-my-Garden-F/12183257_qxjcDF
G-H: http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas/Hostas-in-my-garden-G-H/25028539_QFr47z
I-K: http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas/Hostas-in-my-garden-I-K/18748829_zr6FLm

Would you please take a look and let me know what you like best?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 28, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9257792

I like A & F's background
A is cooling, and F makes the pictures stand out, which is what you want to do - showcase your hostas!
So, I guess final answer is F...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 29, 2012
4:09 AM

Post #9257912

Thanks ViolaAnn for posting the links..my favorite is Captain Kirk..lovethrvlue's as well..bought one this spring, blue cup gourd, if ok with you may I pass on the link for Joyce in Cincinnati who has a passion for hosta's? she now has a nice collection of miniatures as well...

Using your photo's might try to identify some of mine this weekend..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 29, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9257940

Ann .. beautiful pics. I do believe one of mine is 'Avalanche', sad to say though, it became 'bunny fodder, in June :-(
I have 2 others and will have to go through all your pics to see if I can pick it out.

Re the outfit (s) .. I think I may go today and do a quick shop and see if I might find some tops etc. I have black pants, so, a red top or a white one would suffice .. everyone in this house is going to be SO happy when this reunion is over LoL

Susan, your Calgary heat is pushing into North Western Ontario today, and will sit here for a few days, YUK ..
However, given what they are experiencing in the southern States with Isaac, I'll take the heat and humidity.

Must go and change up the sugar water in the Hummingbird Feeders, they are busy little critters this morning. Am starting to wonder if they may hold off on their journeys south ...

Toodles

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 29, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9257961

Hardly saw a hummer in my neck of the woods this year, not sure why?

You will be so much more comfortable "M" than the dress, omg, and all the time you spend looking for a slip and all for 'not'! lol

ViolaAnn, I love seeing people with hats, so eye catching..would love to be able to wear one but look like 'minnie pearl' when I do..not a pretty sight.

Promising to be a perfect long weekend weather wise, what do you all have planned?

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9258084

Well, I don't know for the life of me WHERE the pictures got saved from Facebook, but I pretended to save another pic which got me into the "Library" and then I dragged them to where I hope I can find them. Now's the test. It worked though I wonder why it's got a big red X on it when I preview it (Hey that's new for DG isn't it?)

This message was edited Aug 29, 2012 10:04 AM

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 29, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9258155

What a gorgeous photo of you ViolaAnn, wow..you look like you would fit in with Royalty!!!

I just recently added photo's as well, new system I think loads them up, big red x and then when pressing send the x is no longer.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 29, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9258410

Lovely photo Ann .. re saving pics in Win7 .. it can sometimes be quite a puzzle ..

Betty, we have a herd of Hummers this year .. I'd say for sure 5 or 6 .. at this time of year it becomes quite a game getting out the back door onto the patio and to the garage .. they tend to 'dive bomb' ya LoL
Have had some close calls for sure .. sometimes they'll hover right in front of your face, you can almost feel the little currents of air stirred up by their wings ..
Such pretty wee creatures.

Was to have gone to our sons tonight for cake and coffee .. just a late get together for their anniversary .. but .. life caught up with everyone and its been postponed .. doesn't hurt my feelings .. it's way to warm to be outside ..

Leftover night tonight .. kinda less work for me, but still, prep time ..

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 29, 2012

Post #9258432

Love watching them as well "M"...maybe the flowers are giving them nutrition so no need for them to use hummingbird feeders..
Everyone has such busy lives..hard to get together these days..
Been watching clock all day, finally another 8 minutes and I'm homeward bound..
perm night, was to have gone Saturday and Sailor to the groomers and we know how those appointments went so tonight is the night..maybe I can sleep through the process!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 29, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9258470

That is a great photo of the group, and Betty's right - Royalty, for sure!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 29, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9258940

V Ann
You are so organized! I loved looking at the change in time photos from year to year. Great way to showcase how they do. I prefer the brown background if you are looking for input.
Great outfit! Looks like you are all having fun.
M good luck in shopping , not my favorite thing to do unless it's for plants.
B Having my head played with is relaxing, hope you get some sleep!
T following through all your trials. it's time for you to have some things go your way!

Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 29, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9258959

not all my life is trials... I've been having fun playing with my "new to me" IPod. Doing things I was told couldn't be done without wi-fi, but as I don't have wi-fi, I figured out how to do it being connected to my desktop computer lol
I'm loving this Learning Curve lol
This "being off work" means I get to play around with stuff at home - clearing, and quilting lol
There's Always a silver lining in my life :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 30, 2012
12:19 AM

Post #9258998

Alberta Ann, nope not sleeping, tonight it's nightmare city, dreams of brother dying, perhaps it's someone saying I should call him tomorrow..almost hate going back to sleep incase I go back into my dream.

Can't wait to get tomorrow in so I can have 4 days off, weather is suppose to be just about perfect, imagine, next holiday will be thanksgiving, doesn't that give you pause for concern?? White stuff is a coming

Aren't I the bearer of good news, must be the nightmares. Lol

This message was edited Aug 30, 2012 7:04 AM

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 30, 2012
3:49 AM

Post #9259021

Nightmares are running rampant here! I have been up since 5am .. had a doozie .. was locked out of the house and thtap was on in the bathroom with the plug in the sink !!! Where oh where do these dreams come from. I decided it has got to have something to do with watching news footage of Hurricane Isaac

Since I'm up, I'm going to go to Wal-Mart early early .. we went yesterday .. no Scooters available for Lorna .. so .. will be there by 7:45am

Nice to hear from you AbAnn :-)

Susan .. happy to hear you have 'silver lining' ^_^
I am still trying to figure out my BlackBerry Playbook !!!

TTFN

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2012
4:07 AM

Post #9259033

Up early, but just because I woke up early. However, I do have to be out fairly early for the first part of a thyroid intake scan. Then this evening, the final do for a summer orchestra. We didn't have enough funds to do a real concert this year and have decided to wind the group down with a reading session and performance and party for the retiring conductor.

AbAnn I went over those hosta galleries yesterday and set up 7 colour schemes:

A- Sand
B- Grey (which I'm not going to use because I had issues editing in this scheme)
C- Gold
D-E- Forest
F- Tan
G-H- Brown
I-K Olive and then I repeated them

I don't plan to use Tan - that's just there for comparison because it's what I had before. I'm editing in all of them to see how they work, the issues being in some colour schemes I don't like the font in the edit window and for some of them the page numbers are not sufficiently hi-lighted to tell what page I'm on.

The big issue is that Forest, Brown and Olive have the text in white on the darker background and I'm not sure I like reading that.

The link to the first one again is http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas/Hostas-in-my-garden-A/7617361_qL3gHS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 30, 2012
4:07 AM

Post #9259034

"M" love shopping early morning..sure wish more stores were open at 6am. Lol

Do you have a long drive to reach a Walmart..takes me about 7 minutes..

Should be around 32 today..think I'll push myself tonight to get the lawns done so I can do nothing but play this weekend

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 30, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9259321

Betty - I don't have dreams, but I do have premonitions... and too often they come true.
Mine is that I will pass, before Bob. Makes me feel like I should get things in order. I hope it's just that I'm feeling "down" right now because of all that's happened this year. I haven't mentioned this to anyone else, and won't...
I don't have any health problems that would cause this, but some things are "sneaky" and catch everyone by surprise. I have been having headaches lately, and that's unusual, and water retention is also something new. It might have been the salted pretzels I've been inhaling lately so have cut back on salt, and am having lots and lots of water.
I saw my Dr about a month ago and had a clean bill of health for my blood-work so it's not that.
If nothing else, it will make me take better care of myself...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 30, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9259356

We were through the doors of Wal-Mart by 7:45am .. scooter was there .. and there might have been 10 customers shopping.
Betty we have ONE Wal-Mart at present .. about 20 min from home .. by this time next year, we will have THREE .. they took aver the Zellers stores, so, on will be maybe 10 minutes away.

So wickedly warm here .. going outside is a non issue .. I do think I heard it was 35C with the humidex ..
The air is running and I do think I am going to attempt a nap as I have a majorly busy weekend with the nursing reunion and then a FALL fair out this way on Monday .. their 100th Anniversary.

Hope your premonitions become slanted towards the better Susan .. I have had those senses of foreboding before .. nothing ever happened though .. with me it was a car accident I kept thinking I was going to be in .. glad they went away !!!

Have fun at the party tonight Ann .. sounds like a pleasant evening.

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 30, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9259384

~M~ guess I'm preparing for the worst, and hoping for the best in life. Sometimes it's just difficult to deal with everything, BUT I'm pragmatic and will take whatever comes.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 30, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9259992

V Ann
I like the Gold and the Brown the best. I seem to be fine with the white lettering.
Alberta Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 31, 2012
4:12 AM

Post #9260130

Another early day and disruptive night :-(
Was sound asleep at 9pm and the neighbours down the road decided to light up some FIRE WORKS !!
Well .. both dogs were in a panic .. the noise went on til 9:30pm .. then stopped ..
Can't say much .. I think it was one of the children's bdays .. and, they aren't that close, in proximity, but, firecracker noise sure carries.
At 3am a bear was out back, now THAT, to our dogs, is a HUGE emergency .. I finally got up at 6am and called it good .. will certainly have a long day ahead of me .. can imagine I'll be one of the first to leave the wine and cheese function.

TGIF

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 31, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9260174

Oh "M". Been on several threads this mornimg and seems few slept..can it be the moon as well. Ohhh can imagine the distress of the furries, Sailor could not take such noise, even howled when the telephone rang..must have been the high pitch..

How did you make out at Walmart yesterday, able to get a cart. Guess you will just have to have a mid morning nap, just don't sleep right through and miss the wine and cheese

Overcast/heavy sky and yet unless the forecast changed not expecting any rain.will have to check, maybe things changed overnight, Isaac sending a bit of inclement weather.

Annabelle how are your gardens doing, seems you've also had unsettling weather?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 31, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9260330

Too many of you didn't sleep well last night... hope you can play "catch up" with naps, etc...

Supposed to rain tomorrow, and that will put "paid" to Bob putting on an overhang to repair our roof and stop the leaking where the previous owner cut into the roof line... and then he was going to tear down an outside wall under the overhang and replace it - it's where the water's been coming in and we now obviously have a mold issue - we can see where the water has bubbled up the drywall, inside...
Hope it keeps dry and he can do the work on this long weekend...!!! 40% chance of rain, they say.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 31, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9260417

Might just pass you by or be late afternoon showers and Bob will be done..best it be repaired before winter sets in..sure to have snow melting and do more damage. If he does overhang first then he can be out of the rain for the siding

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 31, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9260460

Good thing Bob knows Soffit/Fascia/Siding and eavestrough installation, and has been a roofer for many years.
It's just difficult getting him to Finish a job... I'm being a nag so he gets it DONE!
I'm really worried about this...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 1, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9261394

So Susan .. what's your weather like?
AGAIN, we have another perfect day on the way .. and .. NO HUMIDITY !!!

Last nights 'do' was awesome. 35 classmates showed up .. I think we had a grad class of 48, so, not too shabby.
Funny thing was, at 9pm, most of us were packing up to go home LoL
Back in the day it would have been 3am ^_^
Tonight is the dinner .. hope my feet can take one more night in the dress shoes .. last night was dicey ..

Hope everyone has an enjoyable day

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 1, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9261411

Well, on Thursday they said "rain on Saturday" on Friday they said "no rain on Saturday". This morning (Saturday) they said 30% chance of Thundershowers...
Bob's outside planning the overhang (he's decided to make it longer) and he's going to have to get more lumber. I told him "buy what you need, in one shot" so he can finish it. I hope he finishes the planning and as much as he can before the "chance of rain" happens IF it happens. Supposed to be from Noon to 5pm...
Otherwise, it's a bit cool out - only 9c, but going to 19c (which means higher, at this time of year).
I've been telling him that I'm "nagging" him, and he's ok with that cuz it keeps him on track. He knows how "distractable" he is LOL

35 eh? That IS a good turnout for a class of 48. I know what you mean about dress heels... I've lately started to wear heels again (after 1 1/2 years when I sprained my left knee - Finally able to go "up" on my toes...). Here's hoping you don't hobble in the heels lol
3am is no longer possible for me, either - 9pm would be my ceiling, too lol Just need more sleep and can't sleep in anymore lol

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9261423

I decided to go with brown at least for now.

Spent the morning getting bowings in the viola parts for orchestra music while my dishwasher was getting my jars clean. Now to have lunch and make crab apple jelly. I've got 14 1/2 cups of juice from apples that DH brought home yesterday after finding a crab apple tree. My usual source didn't have any apples this year. I let DH do the prep as I've been having trouble with a knot in my back.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 1, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9261425

oh ouch... are you taking Iboprophin for the knot in your back, Ann?

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9261532

More like drugstore brand Robaxicet. Not bothering me today and I've made most of the juice into jelly, but I know that the kind of motions in preparing a lot of crabapples would set it off.

So far, 4 pints, 3 jelly jars plus a bit in the fridge. And I made peach jam too - I had prepared and frozen the peaches awhile ago. I stuck a bit of crabapple juice into the peach jam and I add ginger and rum. Got 5 jelly jars, 1 pint and 1/2 pint that we'll eat first. I'm gonna head back soon and cook up the remaining 6 cups of juice into jelly.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 1, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9261579

mmmmm that peach jam with ginger and rum sounds Good!
I have a "Good Morning Marmalade" that's made with Scotch... it's pretty good!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 1, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9261598

All this talk of jams and jellies .. yumm .. I'll be making Cranberry Jelly once the frost hits the high bush cranberries out back ..

Am SO happy that tonight is just a dinner and NOT a dinner dance !! As I was valedictorian at our grad, I have been asked to say a few words .. one way to make sure that happens is put me a pair of heels LoL

Weather is stellar .. ^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 1, 2012

Post #9261622

Well, remember my telling everyone that our den (where our computers are, and on the wall where Bob's computer is plugged in) has water damage due to the block under the trailer shifting due to its being improperly set when the trailer was put here in 1974?
Well, Bob's taken the outer wall off, and this is what we see from the outside.
1st one is by the door - porch on other side of it
2nd one is the next panel over - the wood feels spongy and like you could just put your fist through it without trying...
3rd one is the bottom of the wall where it shows the wood peelings
4th one is the join where the addition was installed a couple of owners ago. See where it's all rotted?

Further along the wall (31") is the wall where our den is on the other side - where the join is, is about 3' into our den.
So, Bob is going to have to replace about 6 or 7' of wall.

Wind's picked up and temperature has dropped (16c), so where he opened up the join he's going to have to close it up against the rain... if it happens. I hope it's a "blow by" cuz the black clouds seem to be moving to the east of us...

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 1, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9261627

Here's the inside wall, at our den
1st pic is the bulkhead, about 3 feet from the corner
2nd pic is the wall where the water is seen under the drywall/paint
3rd pic is the corner, where the join is, I believe (see previous post)

Bob is going to put an overhang from our deck gate, through to the other side of the join.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B      

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 2, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9262104

Hokey doodle Susan, Bob sure has his work cut out for him, good thing he knows what he's doing .

LAST reunion event is today, a brunch at 11 .. the dinner last evening was lovely .. and the weather held so we could all sit on the patio and enjoy the last of the summer breezes, the ONLY concern were Seagulls/Geese and Pelicans flying over every so often ..

Looks to be a beauty day .. MAYBE some rain later on.

Betty, did you go to Meaford ?

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 2, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9262119

Morning, finally had a good nights rest after an entire week..didn't do anything for energy though, feel lazy..maybe too much sleep

"M" sounds as though this gathering has been perfect, both in attendance and weather. After 3 days you must be updated on everyones lives..

Susan, how far did Bob get? Halft the work is gathering materials and tools. Let's hope weather holds out for you..are you his helper or do you get to sit ask question and direct tasks? lol

ViolaAnn,are your crabapples ready to harvest?? Last year I could have filled hamper after hamper but this year not seeing much on the trees, think the ones I saw were still green.Wow, that is a tremendous amount of work, no wonder you've a knot in the back. I think of the old days how those women would prepare for an entire winter, jams, chili, tomatoes etc. strong women they were.

Saw seeds (or what I think are seeds) on some of my hosta's..pick them..do you think it's worth a try come spring to plant them?

Yes "M" did get to Meaford, lovely day, of course every time I go I enjoy..such a lovely little town. Managed to get 7 windchmes (don't ask) lol, few pieces of fabric to finish off projects I'm working on, had an entire list of colors but nope not paying the prices they are asking..between 16-22 a meter, crazy crazy...know I want to spend in Canada but when you can purchase same thing at Joann's in USA for 6-8 dollars I'm going there.

Will be going to Frankenmuth Oct.12th to meet up with DG girls so will have my fall/winter project list with me and do shopping there.

Candle factory and country store, ended up purchasing a few decorative pieces for fall and some smellies..I go at the end of the month for the Applefest so will go back to the candle factory seeing as everything is on sale, so hopefully what I didn't buy will still be there. Even bought an outfit at one from one of the boutiques for me.
Lunch at Swiss Chalet and home, full day..was nice getting Darlene out for the day.
We did some planning re our Christmas trip to Fort Myers at Christmas, she seems up on it, doesn't want to be home for the Anniversary of Mike's death..hopefully all will go as planned!

Done the cleaning and little tasks here in the house this morning, almost 9am so I think it's a proper time having left neighbors sleep and I'll go cut grass..goal for the next 2 days is grass/deadheaded flower gardens (saving seed), binding on quilt I just finished, finish the tote (christmas gift) get blackboard paint on 5 pieces and decide what I shall paint on them and if I get all that done I'll be thrilled.

Hope you all enjoy your weekend plans, as far as I can see on weather channel most of us have sunshine till late tomorrow or early Tuesday..hurrahhhhh

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 2, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9262476

Betty, sometimes I can get a solid 8 hours of sleep .. and waken feeling like I had FOUR !!
Maybe your energy level will pick up during the day .. you could always eat some chocolate :-)

Our brunch was absolutely stellar .. the restaurant is on the shore of Lake Superior .. so there were sail boats and big lake boats to watch, but, who was watching .. way too much talking going on LoL
The emal was a buffet, and the chef made you a crepe to order .. strawberries and whipped cream por moi ...

You have quite a list of chores to do .. best of luck with it .. I have to now get in gear for the arrival of Lorna's parents in a week, for a week.

Off to enjoy the nice weather ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 2, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9262528

Can tell you are flying high..so glad you ae enjoying your weekend. As for Lorna's parents, couldn't you visit them rather than they you?? Only because you could stop in here for a day or two. Lol

Got the grass cut, did some deadheading, now relaxing hand seeing the quilt border on the piece I just finished, relaxing kind of day..hear all the little ones plaing in the pool next door, nice to hear young nes at play..find it relaxing (until dad lets out a scream for some reason) lol

Have chicken/BBQ ribs left over from swish chalet yesterday, have a roast thawing, will put it in the refrigerator and cook tomorrow, leftovers are calling!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9262771

Betty - I usually get more than enough crabapples from trees that are behind a local high school. This year - no apples. I chalked it up to the late frost and decided there would be no jelly this year. Then Friday when DH was visiting DD on the other side of town, he happened on a tree in a street divider in DD's neighbourhood and it was FULL of ripe apples. He picked a whole bunch and brought them home. So, I guess maybe it's quite localized where the trees were affected. And the apples this year are about the nicest I've ever used. And if I do say so myself, the jelly is very good. If I had a place to enter it, I think it would win a prize - crystal clear and a lovely red colour.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 2, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9262847

Sounds like everyone is busy with fall preparations. Jams and shopping and reno's.
Weather here dropped into cold air and tons of rain yesterday, only just warmed up now and even the wind is warm.
I've started hunting slugs at night and getting rid of them. They are nasty things. Nothing seems to want to eat them so I'm left to cut them in 1/2.
Decided I'm digging out my two Halo dogwoods. They have that anthraxnose (sp?) that dogwoods get and I'm tired of baby'ing them. Got some ostrich ferns today at a 50% off sale. Now will have to dig out the shrubs and get the new ferns in.

Some baby's that I started from seed from V Ann are doing well and I need to move them out of the Baby bed and into a regular spot. Anyway more gardening , YeaH!!
Think I'll go out and get after the slug hunting.
Alberta Ann

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9262882

Got any pics of those hosta babies? I think you said one was interesting looking.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 2, 2012
10:44 PM

Post #9262965

Hi everyone - been busy today.
Service this am, while Bob stayed home to work on the wall.
Bob2 helped, and glad he did. Only thing is, Bob2 didn't connect one of the "loose" wires and now we don't have our outside lights. Bob is going to fix that tomorrow by hooking into the porch.
I can't believe how many layers there are in the wall now - Hardy Board, framing, blue board (waterproof) silver board (insulation) and batting! And that's without the inner wall which is going to be Hardy Board again. Hardy Board is pre-painted and looks like wood grain.
I'm so proud of him.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 3, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9263174

V Ann will take some photo's today. Yes one is very interesting and two seem to be extreme mini's. The interesting one is now got two divisions, the interesting one and a plain one. Will split them this fall. I will have to move them this fall as they are now a bit close after being in the same spot for 3 years now. There is some hail damage but I think you will still get the over all view.

Susan It is amazing when you see how many layers there is in building! Sounds like Bob one and two are a good team.
Weather is breaking and I may be able to get into the gardens today, yippie!

Alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9263239

Morning, what a weekend we've had in my neck of the wood, breeze is coming through the windows, I've doors wide open..Lordy it's nice out there. Have to sprinkler on, still so dry, calling for 20% rain tomorrow and Thursday but not taking a chance.

Such a laid back day here, actually still in my lounging pj's and don't plan unless the house is on fire to get out od them..lol

I go between project to project..yesterday I finished a kitchen design quilt, put it in the little French cafe I have just off the kitchen..did a tote for DIL for Christmas, cut out a matching wallet to the tote but few supplies missing so set it aside..had 5 leftover mdf boards that are dying to be blackboards, going to Frankenmuth next month and will be meeting a few new dg members so they will fit nicely in a grab bag, a few hours they could be done, waiting for paint to fry, seems to take forever!!

Everyone in awhile I'm out deadheading and saving seed, if any of you would like some I can send some to you..will list what seed I have..I bought little plastic jewelry bags to divide seed but somebody told me not to put them in platic, what are your thoughts.

alberta Ann look forward to your photo's, I've a lot of hosta seed and with all the talk of hosta's can you tell me if i should start them now or early spring? Don't know why I'm thinking they would be really difficult to grow?

ViolaAnn, went and looked at my trees, hardly an apple..do you think you get them only every 2nd year? Mouth drooling over your jelly, can taste it on my dry toast.

Susan, you should be proud of Bob for all he is accomplishing this weekend. You'll feel so much warmer come winter..

Looking at the calendar and marking down trips , family outings and gatherings and Lordy based on that Christmas will soon be here. Slap me silly right.

Just finished early lunch by clock standards, not by up at 5am standards, tummy hungry..now, it's back to play.

Hope you are all enjoying your day

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 3, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9263297

Betty - I AM proud of Bob... and told him so many times.

AbAnn - lol funny you should call them Bob 1 & Bob 2, cuz that's a nickname others are giving them - they've done work at a team for other people in our church. I call my Bob Thing 1, and I'm Thing 2 (from Dr. Seuse's "Cat in the Hat") LOL

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9263361

All these Bobs. I'm married to one and so is my sister!

Betty - I think if conditions are right, you'll get apples every year. At least I used to on the trees behind a local high school - I found them years ago when taking a short-cut from the Food Cupboard to Staples (they've since closed the opening in the fence). Anyway, they've provided me with apples for a long time, but a couple of years ago, they pruned the trees and it became much more difficult to easily pick enough. So finding a new tree is good.

Hosta seeds can be started as early as you wish but you'd need to keep them inside at first. Or just sow them in the gardens as "weedlings". But you should know that 99% of them will be just green. However, you CAN get yellow or blue and such traits as red legs, ruffled leaves, long leaves can come through. And you can get lucky - I have one seedling that is fully margined and looks just like a (commercially available) sibling of the mother. I usually start my seeds after Christmas inside. I have a few that I've kept and given names and more that I've kept as "seedling of 'xxx' " (see the "s" page of my hosta pics).

ViAnn

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9263371

Well I'm going to try growing them..would be encouraging starting a little hosta garden with self grown hosta's..me who can't keep indoor plants alive. Lol

As for apple tree, no apples..maybe due to the weather we've had.

now Susan I'd you could find a Bob #3 you'd get the work done that much quicker.

Was sooo energetic this mornimg, can see my energy lessening with each break I take

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 3, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9263419

LoL .. my brother is BOB .. although we all call him RJ (Robert James).

We have apples on our trees this year, maybe not as many, but enough for pies and eating.
There was some kind of 'army worm' infestation of some bushes/trees ... 2013 is their OFFICIAL 7 year cycle :-( meaning the little beggars will be crawling on through stripping the foliage. I keep thinking POSITIVELY that that will NOT happen !!

Went to a FALL Fair this morning. Gord and I were there at 9am .. good thing .. by 11am the heat and humidity was absolutely brutal .. when we left at 1pm it was 32C !!!
Bought tickets on a beautiful quilt .. and some other crafty items as well
So much to see .. but the heat is unreal !

I'm off Hostas for a bit .. 'bunny fodder' this year .. and they had been looking SO nice ...

You're certainly busy Betty .. hope your energy stays with you .. the sun and heat took mine !!!

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9263426

Laying on the couch, thing about living alone, no one around to tell me get a move on! Lol

fall fairs haven't started here yet, sad thing is once you would go and could spend the better part of the day looking at homemade items/bake goods/home grown crops items and floral displays and now so few entries.

My favorite was the Canadian exhibition, very little displayed there now.

Up I go, still have a few hours to be productive

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9263480

Betty - is it time for a September thread?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9263519

Moved us over...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278453/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278453/

This message was edited Sep 3, 2012 5:41 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America