Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Lantana--colorful, easy annual, or weedy menace?: Lantana has a wider range than we know

Communities > Forums > Article: Lantana--colorful, easy annual, or weedy menace?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Lantana--colorful, easy annual, or weedy menace?Replies: 1, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gardeningman
Kingman, KS

July 30, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9223550

I live in South Central Kansas. Lantana usually grows as an annual here EXCEPT if it is grown on the south side of a structure as a foundation plant, then it grows as a perennial. I can't speak for any other place, but here in Kingman, KS lantana sprouts back from the stem if grown on the south side of a structure where it gets protection from the cold North wind. A friend of mine here in town gave me some Ham n' Eggs lantana rooting’s she was growing on the south side of her house. Her lantanas have been coming back from the dormant stems for the past six years. I tried them on the south side of my house last year, and they re-sprouted from the stems this year for me too. Of course, I did mulch mine. I also planted some on the south side of my garage. I am not going to mulch those this winter just to see if they still come back too. And again I need to emphasize, they are definitely re-sprouting from the stems and not from seed that has dropped to the ground from the previous year. Below is a link to a photo of the south side of my house. You can see the lantanas towards the back of the house. Last year I had them planted where the Weigelas are at now, underneath the lead glass window. These Weigelas are not doing very well right now in this 100+ degree heat, so I am considering moving the Weigelas and planting New Gold Lantanas in their place.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n616/samnsarah/DSCN3410.jpg

This message was edited Jul 30, 2012 1:27 PM

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9223805

Thanks for your report, Mr. Kansas! I believe I said (I think) that L. camara may be perennial if mulched and protected. Ham n' Eggs is a very, very old cultivar which has escaped cultivation in many parts of the world; perhaps it's extra hardy. Good luck to you with your Lantana experiments, and again, thanks for your comment.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Lantana--colorful, easy annual, or weedy menace? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice article DonShirer 8 Jul 30, 2012 12:57 PM
We love Lantana here in Texas. frostweed 3 Jul 30, 2012 1:05 PM
Lantana is a Noxious weed in Australia Gabi65 1 Jul 30, 2012 12:41 PM
lantana in missouri dordee 5 Aug 6, 2012 6:09 PM
Lantana camara ARWadoo 7 Jun 20, 2013 8:47 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America