Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Fruit: Are commercial tree varieties not available to the public?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Fruit
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FruitReplies: 7, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
crisw
Jennings Lodge, OR

July 30, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9223682

I am planning the fruit trees I will plant. This weekend, I tasted some Skeena cherries and loved them. However, I cannot seem to find this variety anywhere in the USA (Canadian and UK nurseries do have it.) Are some newer commercial varieties just not available to the public, for some reason?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9228615

We get the produce from other countries- this is just business- but trees aren't allowed to cross the borders, but seeds are...
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 10, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9270954

Hi crisw, I have never heard of this type of Cherry, however when I Googled Skeena Cherries up came a load of suppliers and one in particular was
stonefruit@wastatefruit.com they were some out-with USA. hope this helps you out. Good luck, WeeNel.
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9271498

http://www.cbnllc.com/cherries.html
This place is in Quincy WA (east of the mountains)
If the info on the website is current and accurate, your closest rep is in The Dalles.

This message was edited Sep 10, 2012 8:19 PM
rodbagniewski
Fountain City, WI

February 27, 2013
8:00 PM

Post #9434163

I'm planning on planting some fruit trees and am not sure where to purchase them. We have always got seed catalogs in the mail and have ordered from them in the past but in looking at their rating on your site I don't want to use them anymore. I live in zone four. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Rod

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2013
3:45 AM

Post #9434258

Many of us use our seed catalogs to order- if you have been happy in the pazt with your purchases, there is no reason not to continue to do so. Is it trees you are ordering? Veggie Seeds? You didn't say exactly what type of plants you were ordering...
DevilDog4Life
Ridge Manor, FL

May 11, 2013
9:37 AM

Post #9516859

I would Love to Buy an adult PONG KOA Mandarin Or a PONKIN Mandarin Tree...will they survice in SUGERSAND and Direct Sun???? Where could I buy an Adult Tree??

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 12, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9517804

DevilDog, most everyone quits watching these 'threads' and go to the new ones. On this forum, at the bottom of the page is a place to start your own thread so everyone sees, many gardeners are out in their own gardens at the moment, so it can take a bit to answer. I don't know Fl well enough to answer you, but my guess is that if there are any trees growing in your sugarsand, that one is apt to do so also..you will need to search for nurseries that carry trees, tho the adult ones may not transfer as welll...There is the garden watchdog on Daves that has nurseries listed in different areas you maight try looking on for the trees in your area..

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Fruit Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blackberries, blueberries and strawberries... RyanandRachel 15 Mar 9, 2007 9:11 PM
Cuttings from Old Apple Tree wildgardengirl 4 Mar 16, 2007 4:08 PM
Strawberries HighCntryGrdnr 18 Sep 4, 2012 6:23 PM
wondering about the fig trees sslopoke 4 Apr 14, 2007 12:26 AM
Queen Ann Cherry Trees lafko06 1 Apr 16, 2007 2:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America