AuthorContent

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9223683

I grew them as a novelty, but they turned out to be a pretty darned good tomato. About 20 qz and they taste great. A good producer. About 75 days to maturity.

Thumbnail by paulgrow   Thumbnail by paulgrow
Click an image for an enlarged view.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9223856

WOW!!!
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 31, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9224509

See what creative naming did for the person who first offered them on e-bay all those years ago. LOL I remember it was one of the very few times I went to e-bay to take a look, at the urging of others, and found that, well, there's lots of fruits that have that, shall I say, configuration.

If you like it Paul, that's all the matters.

Carolyn

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9224549

You know, it;s made a lot of folks smile this summer so I think that's always important.
Had some fun with it.

Paul
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9224883

I thought it was an excellent tasting when I grew it, too. The seeds were given to me by Flip as a chuckle, but it turned out to be one of the top four in my garden that year...out of 40 varieties.
nancyruhl
Dearborn, MI

August 5, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9230877

I, too, think it is a great tomato. Meaty, tasty, productive. Multiuse. It did get a lot of attention at the fundraiser we sold it at. The first variety to sell out. And there were several folks dissappointed we didn't have more It has a permanent spot in my lineup. Had some awesome heart tomatoes this year, but this one did well last year for me also, when the weather was totally different.

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9231227

Nancy
I'll be saving seed if you would like some,

Paul

nancyruhl
Dearborn, MI

August 6, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9231957

Already saved them. Thanks, though.

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9231969

Nancy
Any other first time varieties that stand out for you this year?

Paul
nancyruhl
Dearborn, MI

August 6, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9232321

I grew 200 varieties up on the farm, many I have yet to sample. Hearts have been awesome, with Gildo Petroboni rating a solid 10 and Fishlake Oxheart and Tsar Kolokol right behind. Wish I had had your scale to weigh the GP. I am sure it was over 2 pounds. Great oranges have been Amana Orange (1st ripe on 7/2), Persimmon and Kentucky Beefsteak Orange, though Kelloggs Breakfast is always my fave when it finally comes in. Summertime Gold, one of the dwarf releases from Tomatoville, has also been great. I picked 6 huge ones off the plant tonight. I received seeds from Carolyn for Kenosha Paste and that has been a real winner in that department. Favorite new bicolor has been Beauty Queen. New favorite pinks are African Queen and Brandywine from Croatia, seeds I received from a gentleman in California. I need your scale again for that one. Grosse Cotelee was solid and very tasty also. Matina was a winner in the very early department. Just wonder how all these varieties will grow and taste in a normal summer for us. Some of my regulars sort of lagged behind in this heat. Every year is an adventure.
First picture is Summertime Gold and the second Gildo Petroboni.

Thumbnail by nancyruhl   Thumbnail by nancyruhl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #9233878

Nancy, I believe the gentleman's (and the tomato's) last name is "Pietroboni". His first is occasionally mis-spelled as "Guildo", but it is correctly spelled "Gildo" in Tatiana's data base. It does sound as though it is a good choice both for eating and canning. I'll certainly try it next year if I can find the seeds.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 8, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9233930

And just to clarify a bit so as not to think I'm playing faves here, when Nancy or others say they got this or that variety from me it's b'c they participated in my seed offer at Tville, which is done in early Jan.

It's 5 varieties for an SASE.

And the CA source for the Brandywwine from Croatia is Ray Newstead in CA who sent out seeds to lots of Tville members. Mine is about the biggest one out there, but honestly, that isn't saying much for the pathetic plants I have in gro-bags in the backyard. Although looking out from the bathroom window I do see some small variety ripening up.

I don't even know right now which varieties I have out there b'c when Freda yelled back to me what the labels said, she wasn't wearing her glasses so I've got spellings that make no sense. One she said was Velvet, I don't have anything like that although I do have a Vt Red heart. LOL

And Late Blight is not that far from me but Freda is seldom up here to help b'c there's lots going on with her family. Her MIL fell last Wed and broke her hip, surgery went OK but then she had a major stroke but wants to go home so the family held a meeting Sunday AM and will let her do that with different folks doing 8 hour shifts. Then a few weeks before that Freda's son was almost killed by a tree that fell on his truck in a violent T-storm, he's OK but the truck was totalled, and he needs another one before school starts in a few weeks b'c he has a teaching position in VT. And they don't know when the insurance will pay up. I wish someone would take my car and drive it to keep the battery charged, b'c I can't do that right now either.

Sorry to be so long, but I've always relied on Freda's help here and now I have no idea when she will be here and when she is it's only for a short period of time, and since she works for the local school she has to start that in a couple of weeks as well.

As is oft said, there's awlays next year, but darn, I've got some great sounding new to all varieties out there, but Shoe is doing seed production for some, and Neil in IL as well, but Neil has major drought problems and he may loose almost all of his 600 plants despite his attempts at hand watering, b/c he has to stop doing that to let the well fill up, and where he lives all they have for water is a well. Same for me here, but we've had some rain lately.

Carolyn
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9236712

I feel your pain Carolyn. We do get to depend on our helpers, don't we? My "Freda" (aka Linda) has had her share of problems as well, and her I am with 4 dogs and no pet sitter/house - garden helper. And work has been 6 days a week, sometimes 10-12 hours a day. But we plug along, hoping for the best.

I have some kind of blight going on and my plants are looking pretty sad. I am getting some nice tomatoes, though. Only 2 or 3 per plant, and much smaller than normal, but at least I'm getting to sample them. Best so far have been Orange Minsk, Cherokee Purple, Amazon Chocolate, and Haley's Purple Comet. I also picked 2 nice-sized Dad's Sunset last night, and a very large Indiana Red which I am very much looking forward to. Last time I gew it the plant succumbed before fruiting, and this year there's only the one - but I feel blessed to even be able to try it since I understand it is excellent.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America