Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: No Beans :(

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 11, Views: 148
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KatWalk1954
Deer Park, TX

July 30, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9223714

I need info. Please! I planted Chiristmas Pole Beans on a teepee shaped frame. They made a beautiful plant and they flowered beautifully. I got one mess of beans and they were delicious. They didn't produce anymore. They are still growing and flowering. Question, what have I done wrong? We have had temps in the three digits in the day. Sometimes in the mid 80,s at night. Could this possibly be the reason? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. I live in Texas. Southeast of Houston. With Regards, Kathy

This message was edited Jul 30, 2012 1:08 PM

Thumbnail by KatWalk1954   Thumbnail by KatWalk1954
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9223775

Hey, Kathy,
I live near Hobby Airport!

Not sure what you did wrong, if anything. From what I've read and seen, beans are supposed to LIKE our heat. I grew Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans in the spring, and am getting ready to set another mess of transplants this weekend. Prayerfully, I'll get another bean harvest before the cold sets in.

Do your plants look stressed from the heat? Do you have any blooms? I wonder if beans need pollinators? I've noticed a steady decline in the buzz activity in my yard. I think they've all gone off to build hives and nests and bedding for the winter!

I'll keep watching for an answer. Someone will come along soon.

Are you growing a fall/winter garden? I'm starting my fall veggie seeds this week. Last year, I had a wonderful crop of broccoli, cauliflowers, cabbages, mustards & collards. This year I'm adding the root veggies again, and more onions (I'm going to start mine from seeds for the first time, for transplanting between November and January -- I had a great crop last spring from transplants I bought from Dixondale Farms Onion Company).

Let's be in touch, if you don't mind!

Linda

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9223827

Kathy - What is the name of the bean you are growing?

I know "Scarlet Runner" beans will not produce beans in hot weather, so it's possible that other beans are heat sensitive, too.

You'll know the answer once the temperature drops. If the beans start forming pods again, then it was probably the heat. Otherwise, it could be that you gave them too much nitrogen. Beans produce their own nitrogen, although I've read that giving them small amounts of Nitrogen will increase production.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

July 30, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9223932

Don't feel bad, I'm growing poles for the first time. NO BEANS so far. And they are flowering. THey get plenty of water and all day Sun and food. {scratches head...}
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 30, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9223946

Wow!! Those beans are beautiful!!! my plants are never those robust!!!

Belle
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9224425

Beans are self pollinating. I think it's too hot combined with the humidity. Some beans like long beans can taje it better. Your plants are beautiful. If it was me I would keep the plants going until it cools down. It maybe just a little to hot.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9224727

Kathy,
Did you construct those trellises yourself? If so, do you have a tutorial or a schematic you could share? Or a link?

Thanks!
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

August 2, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9226819

Wondering how much fertilizer you used? Sometimes if there is too much nitrogen you can get all plant and few beans
paradacrades
Hilliard, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9227779

Beautiful plants. Christmas beans love the heat, so it is probably too much nitrogen.
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9228296

Beans will produce flowers & beans, & then rest awhile. Then they will up & start producing flowers & beans again. Try watering during the resting period. This seems to get my beans flowering again.
Goldenberry
Northeast, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 3, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9228299

No advice to give, but my pole beans aren't producing either. They sure are attracting a lot of Japanese beetles though.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

August 3, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9228536

Funny you mention Japanese Beetles Goldenberry, I found them to be very scarce this year. Same with Monarch butterflies. Some years I can fill several quart jars with JBs, this year less than half a jar.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America